SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Apr 17, 2020 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8895808)
What if this was a virus we couldn't recover from or our bodies couldn't kill off completely? We would be so fucked. I don't get how we have some viruses that stay in our bodies for the rest of our lives while others our immune system can kill.

You have to understand what viruses are and how they work.

First of all, unlike bacteria, viruses are not "alive". They are not a "life form". By themselves, they are inert bits of nucleic acid (either RNA or DNA but not both), often enclosed in some kind of "coat", usually protein.

To reproduce, they have to enter and take over the functions of a host cell, either in humans or some other species. Again, typically the coat of the virus contains molecules that are able to link to the surface of cells and allow the virus to penetrate, inject its nucleic acid into the host cell and from there it begins to use the cell's machinery for nucleic acid reproduction (often ultimately resulting in the death of the cell when a new generation of virus particles are released).

The classic virus that goes "dormant", herpes, does this by remaining inside the host cell, usually a nerve cell. It is able to periodically turn on the machinery of its own reproduction inside the cells which results in creation and ejection of a burst of new virus particles. Each time this happens, the body does respond with the panoply of the immune response and eventually the body suppresses the virus. This is why your herpes sores go away. But by then the virus has entered new cells and gone dormant there, hidden inside the cell from the factors of the immune response . . . until the next time it decides (to anthropomorphize a bit--we don't understand all this totally) to break out.

But not many viruses are able to pull off this trick and other coronaviruses don't so there's little reason to think SARS-CoV-2 does. Most likely the seeming recurrence of positive tests or actual illness in some patients thus far has been due to testing error--that is, they never really had gotten well before they seemingly relapsed and tests indicating they had were wrong.

Pedestrian Apr 17, 2020 3:38 AM

Quote:

Underground nightclub in San Francisco shutdown for violating COVID-19 order
By Aja Seldon
Published 3 days ago

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - An underground nightclub in San Francisco was shutdown for operating during the city's COVID-19 public health order, which required all non-essential businesses to close.

The San Francisco City Attorney's Office recently learned that the club was operating in the Bayview district out of an industrial building at 2266 Shafter Avenue.

A subsequent investigation from April 4 to April 6, revealed that more than 150 people had visited the location during the early morning hours. Investigators found that none of the patrons practiced social distancing. During certain times, surveillance video showed between 20 to 30 cars arriving and leaving from in front of the club.

Then on April 8, an investigator noticed similar activity, cars coming and going from the property, and people not adhering to social distancing guidelines, officials said. Loud music was also heard coming from inside the building.

A witness who was interviewed by the City Attorney’s Office said on March 15 around 3:15 a.m. they heard five gunshots in rapid succession near the club. They also said that activity on the nights of April 4 and April 5 was particularly raucous.

[The City Attorney's Office also] said the building was not permitted for entertainment uses. It lacked proper sprinklers, fire alarms and exits for a building open to the public, according to the attorney for the property owner.

According to court documents, the tenant operating the club had told the property owner he was using the building to store materials for his janitorial company.

On Friday, [the CA] was able to get a civil inspection and abatement warrant from a judge to shutdown the illegal night club.

The following day, officers entered the building and seized DJ equipment, two fog machines, nine gambling machines with a total of $670 cash inside, two pool tables, bins of liquor, cases of beer, and furniture, among other items.

“The operators of this illegal club senselessly put lives at risk in a time when our city is doing everything within our means to slow the spread of this pandemic and safeguard the health and wellbeing of the public,” said Chief William Scott in a statement. “Let this case be a reminder that we will take action against those who knowingly violate the public health order and endanger the health and safety of our residents.”
https://www.ktvu.com/news/undergroun...covid-19-order

KevinFromTexas Apr 17, 2020 7:18 AM

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...me-last-april/
Quote:

337,227 fewer travelers have flown out of ABIA so far this month than this time last April

by: Russell Falcon
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 / 03:38 PM CDT / Updated: Apr 16, 2020 / 03:38 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Along with most airports nationwide, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport has seen a huge reduction in the amount of traffic passing through during the COVID-19 pandemic and stay at home orders.

So far this month, ABIA has seen 337,227 fewer travelers come through than at this point in the month last April.

The total flyers for April 1-15, 2019 was 348,957 — compared to April 1-15, 2020’s total of 11,730, it’s easy to see COVID-19’s impact on air travel.

10023 Apr 17, 2020 9:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8895716)
Huh? Where did you get the idea that the death rate of C-19 is 0.013%?

There is no indication that it will be close to that low. Probably between 10-100 times higher than that.

I’m just as frustrated as you are. But even if we build out more hospital beds and have enough ventilators, we don’t have enough hospital and healthcare staff to service the number of patients that would overwhelm the system if we just stopped all social distancing altogether.

Ultimately, though, I agree with you that we have to do something different from a complete lockdown for 2 years. That’s obviously a nonstarter and I personally won’t be able to do it, as I’m sure is true with tens of millions of others.

I think the best thing is to relax the rules and get the Governors and Mayors out of the way of mandating lockdowns and closures with the exception of gatherings of over 50 people, and use an aggressive social messaging campaign to convince people to limit social interaction, practice social distancing, and wear masks in public as much as possible. Also, testing is VITAL! We’ve got to have ubiquitous testing capability everywhere, just like we do for Influenza. The Feds have dropped the ball majorly on this last one.

It was calculated based on the “million deaths” strawman.

The death rate is also not as high as calculated based on deaths relative to confirmed cases. We don’t really know.

Tests take time to develop and produce, especially antibody testing.

10023 Apr 17, 2020 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8895753)
As I just said, there will be a vaccine.

There will also be antiviral treatments, probably several different ones from different makers.

Within, I'd guess, 2 years this will be a preventable and treatable disease, and it will get more so as, over time, companies develop new antivirals and, perhaps, new vaccines (no vaccine is 100% effective and just as the current polio vaccine is better than what Jonas Salk produced, the first one for coronavirus probably won't be the last one).

But the real threat is that the circumstances that produced this virus will likely produce others. What we really need will be "plug-in" techniques for producing antivirals and vaccines. Once you have the genetic code of the virus (we can get that quite quickly now) and its molecular configuration and mode of attacking human cells (we have those for coronavirus now), some sort of AI program can generate candidate drugs and vaccines to fight it. And we would also need rapid platforms to test these drugs and vaccines. The way we do it now is just too slow. Just as we learned how to "test" nuclear weapons using computer modeling, we need something like that to test drugs and get them approved for use. Or perhaps we need to just learn to accept short duration trials for drugs against deadly diseases.

Maybe. It’s not even clear yet whether it’s possible to vaccinate for this using live attenuated virus, or a dead virus. Probably not the former if the risk of killing the patient is too high, and a dead virus won’t necessarily produce the necessary immune response. Then there are studies into mRNA based vaccines (like Moderna’s), but if that works it will be a first.

No vaccine against a coronavirus has ever been produced, so it’s actually still as much a question of ‘if’ as ‘when’.

And two years of lockdown is just not a viable scenario. We would just need to accept a higher number of deaths, or make the vulnerable isolate while the rest of us get back to work, in that case. We aren’t waiting for a vaccine, we are waiting for testing, ICU capacity and ventilators.

10023 Apr 17, 2020 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8895999)

I was wondering when speakeasies would start showing up...

Jonesy55 Apr 17, 2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8896094)
make the vulnerable isolate while the rest of us get back to work, in that case.

I still haven't heard a credible explanation of how this could work given that the most vulnerable usually need care staff, regular medical treatment etc. If the virus is rampant in general society it will be rampant among the people providing those medical and care services.

Pedestrian Apr 17, 2020 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8896094)
Maybe. It’s not even clear yet whether it’s possible to vaccinate for this using live attenuated virus, or a dead virus. Probably not the former if the risk of killing the patient is too high, and a dead virus won’t necessarily produce the necessary immune response. Then there are studies into mRNA based vaccines (like Moderna’s), but if that works it will be a first.

No vaccine against a coronavirus has ever been produced, so it’s actually still as much a question of ‘if’ as ‘when’.

And two years of lockdown is just not a viable scenario. We would just need to accept a higher number of deaths, or make the vulnerable isolate while the rest of us get back to work, in that case. We aren’t waiting for a vaccine, we are waiting for testing, ICU capacity and ventilators.

Multiple vaccines are already in clinical trials or about to be. Moderna’s is. Johnson and Johnson’s is or is about to be. So is one from Novavax. There are 2 in China developed there.

70 Coronavirus Vaccines Are Under Development, With 3 in Human Trials, WHO Says

The most interesting vaccine candidates use niether live attenuated virus nor killed whole virus. Love to know what you do for a living so I could understand where you get your BS.

Pedestrian Apr 17, 2020 11:47 PM

Wow, the IHME finally updated their models again and Arizona looks amazingly better. Rather than having weeks to go until our "peak", we have passed it:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...167227/enhance
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...merica/arizona

Steely Dan Apr 18, 2020 12:18 AM

* off topic posts deleted *


this isn't the great obesity debate thread, it's the "how is covid-19 impacting your city" thread.

please stay on topic, folks.

SIGSEGV Apr 18, 2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8896907)
Wow, the IHME finally updated their models again and Arizona looks amazingly better. Rather than having weeks to go until our "peak", we have passed it:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...167227/enhance
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...merica/arizona

Is the IHME model still based on the (possibly faulty) Chinese data?

Steely Dan Apr 18, 2020 1:30 AM

* one more thing *

anyone who refuses to use the official name for Covid-19 and instead replaces it with their own little trollish name for the disease can expect their posts to be summarily deleted.

ALL political trolling belongs with the other crap in the CE toilet, not here in one of the worthwhile parts of the forum.

Lear Apr 18, 2020 11:00 AM

Beaver conquers quiet shopping area in Berlin....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV4DnSKX...g&name=360x360

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV4DnSJW...jpg&name=small

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 8:07 PM

dranks to go — local filipino joint — west village


http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pseor8x4bt.jpg

iheartthed Apr 18, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8897585)
dranks to go — local filipino joint — west village


http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pseor8x4bt.jpg

Hard pass on that.

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8897598)
Hard pass on that.

why is that?

did you lose a relative in the battle of bataan?

iheartthed Apr 18, 2020 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8897612)
why is that?

did you lose a relative in the battle of bataan?

  1. Nothing against Filipino cuisine.
  2. What happens at the table? It doesn't exactly seem sanitary to make mixed drinks on a West Village sidewalk in this current environment.
  3. To the extent that my go to restaurants have remained open, I have tried to support. But paying bar prices for alcoholic drinks is about the experience. I won't be paying $12 for a margarita to drink while I sit at home streaming movies on Netflix.

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 10:37 PM

^ thats exactly why i have never stopped there.

usually too many people hoovering around and too much $$$.

i like the idea of it more than the reality.

that said, we did buy probably some of the last cans of corona beer (!) and drink them in the park while waiting on a nearby restaurant takeout order. thats more my speed anyway.

muppet Apr 19, 2020 8:55 AM

I can imagine the missive sent from Corona beer HQ to its employees.

Covid 19 or C-19 is the official name of the mild flu currently going round. If anyone is heard using the term "Coronav*rus" their employment will be terminated with immediate effect.

I've heard it's had to stop production.

Acajack Apr 19, 2020 10:59 AM

I take it the Corona brewery shutdown is only temporary?

10023 Apr 19, 2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8896492)
Multiple vaccines are already in clinical trials or about to be. Moderna’s is. Johnson and Johnson’s is or is about to be. So is one from Novavax. There are 2 in China developed there.

70 Coronavirus Vaccines Are Under Development, With 3 in Human Trials, WHO Says

The most interesting vaccine candidates use niether live attenuated virus nor killed whole virus. Love to know what you do for a living so I could understand where you get your BS.

I know about all of the vaccine development programs. FierceBiotech keeps a good running list and is the best place for updates (it’s an industry blog).

What I am saying is that there is not and has never been a successful vaccine produced for any of this group of viruses. That doesn’t mean it isn’t possible, just that we don’t have a precedent example, which means it isn’t a foregone conclusion that they will be successful in producing one. Partly this is because most coronaviruses (the endemic ones in humans) produce mild cold symptoms and aren’t worthwhile to vaccinate against, and because the SARS and MERS vaccine programs were terminated at very early stages because these outbreaks petered out on their own.

When you say “the most interesting vaccine candidates” which are neither live nor dead virus, I assume you mean the mRNA (messenger RNA) approach, which is a gene therapy being developed by Moderna among others (indeed, it’s Moderna’s ticker symbol). But this has never resulted in an FDA-approved therapy for any disease. There’s good theoretical support for it, and some pre-clinical evidence, but it’s completely unproven.

Recent article with some background:
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...ne-to-approval

mrnyc Apr 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8897950)
I take it the Corona brewery shutdown is only temporary?


yes, but because of the corona, not because of the name. :cheers:


https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/03/b...ion/index.html

10023 Apr 19, 2020 2:32 PM

They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

mrnyc Apr 19, 2020 3:34 PM

well, for now one can always use the one’s interweb or one’s imagination to frolick in parks.

as say, one might imagine a brisk stroll across an england glen from their basement abode in peoria.

:haha:

10023 Apr 19, 2020 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8897617)
  1. Nothing against Filipino cuisine.
  2. What happens at the table? It doesn't exactly seem sanitary to make mixed drinks on a West Village sidewalk in this current environment.
  3. To the extent that my go to restaurants have remained open, I have tried to support. But paying bar prices for alcoholic drinks is about the experience. I won't be paying $12 for a margarita to drink while I sit at home streaming movies on Netflix.

I kind of agree with your last point, and that’s why I don’t believe in food delivery. Haven’t ordered in once during lockdown and I don’t really plan to.

I’m not paying a premium over the restaurant prices to eat lukewarm food out of a cardboard box that was probably flipped upside down by the delivery guy, at least not unless I can expense it.

suburbanite Apr 19, 2020 7:13 PM

Sushi is relatively delivery friendly. Was ordering it every other day after the initial shutdown when I was still going into the office but grocery stores were being cleaned out.

I can't really justify ordering a warm sandwhich, buritto, or anything that gets cold and soggy.

10023 Apr 19, 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8898206)
Sushi is relatively delivery friendly. Was ordering it every other day after the initial shutdown when I was still going into the office but grocery stores were being cleaned out.

I can't really justify ordering a warm sandwhich, buritto, or anything that gets cold and soggy.

I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.

montréaliste Apr 19, 2020 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=10023;8898342]I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.[/QUOTE



Did you mean £90 for sushi delivered?

bnk Apr 20, 2020 1:07 AM

10023 is correct about delivered sushi even from good places.




Good sushi is not comparable to the experience in the restaurant esp when you are at the sushi bar communicating with the staff.


I have taken good sushi home from good sushi restaurants and it never compares to eating it in the restaurant ever in the many times I tried it.

And I'm not talking about gas station fake crap. I'm talking about high end sushi places. Even them than not replicate the experience of being there.

Its similar to good thin crust pizza places that will not deliver because of their crust not being cracker crust not being of the quality of eating it right out of an oven that is hot enough to cremate someone.

You cant put that in a cardboard box for 30 mins and expect to get what you expect when you eat it right there.


That's why good thin crust Chicago pizza places will not deliver and will not even allow takeout.


But getting back to Sushi.

The rice needs to be warm and the fish only slightly cold.


Getting delivered or take out sushi destroys the entire experience esp when its not a cheap meal to begin with.

Its the experience and the beer and drinks and the whole experience that makes dine in sushi worth the price. You simply cannot take that home and get the same effect. Trust me I tried it multiple times and was always disappointed enough never to do it again even from the best sushi restaurants.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:21 AM

[QUOTE=montréaliste;8898398]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898342)
I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.[/QUOTE



Did you mean £90 for sushi delivered?

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:38 AM

[QUOTE=Acajack;8898469]
Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898398)

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?


Tellement!

llamaorama Apr 20, 2020 1:49 AM

I feel like most sushi isn't that special, except for eel. I went to a coworker's birthday, got an unagi plate, holy shit...If we are being honest, japanese food while good is often overpriced for what you get. It's sort of like french cuisine, just because its japanese you get some huge price markup for no reason.

As for the 10k couch, if 10023 is making $$$ then furniture isn't exactly a waste, especially furniture that lasts a really long time. I have my grandparent's midcentury modern danish furniture in my living room now, its 60 years old. Things that separate your ass from the ground are worth it, is a solidly blue collar idea. Your mattress, your tires, your shoes, and a sofa qualify.

JManc Apr 20, 2020 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamaorama (Post 8898481)

As for the 10k couch, if 10023 is making $$$ then furniture isn't exactly a waste, especially furniture that lasts a really long time. I have my grandparent's midcentury modern danish furniture in my living room now, its 60 years old. Things that separate your ass from the ground are worth it, is a solidly blue collar idea. Your mattress, your tires, your shoes, and a sofa qualify.

Yeah, he says a lot of tone deaf stuff but spending decent money on a quality sofa is not something I'd hold against him. Hopefully he doesn't have cats. My wife spent a small fortune on high end furniture and her cats shredded most of it.

Jonesy55 Apr 20, 2020 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8897990)
They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

When the government says 'exercise' it isn't meaning only those people doing high intensity cardio workouts, they specifically mention mental health as a reason for doing it and that can just be a walk or bike ride in the park with children.

Pedestrian Apr 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8897990)
They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

LOL. You want to lock the old people away "for their own good" and keep the children and families out of the parks, all so you can do what you want unimpeded.

Your self-centeredness is so extreme as to make one think you are simply trolling us all. It's hard to believe anyone expressing these attitudes could expect to be taken seriously.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8898530)
Yeah, he says a lot of tone deaf stuff but spending decent money on a quality sofa is not something I'd hold against him. Hopefully he doesn't have cats. My wife spent a small fortune on high end furniture and her cats shredded most of it.

For me at least it is just an easy way to tease him.

All in good fun!

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:40 PM

[QUOTE=Acajack;8898469]
Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898398)

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?

Sofa and armchair.

And the difference is that people here on SSP have been able to make that joke for a decade now, but the sofa is still stood good as new while the sushi would have definitely gone off...

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8898623)
LOL. You want to lock the old people away "for their own good" and keep the children and families out of the parks, all so you can do what you want unimpeded.

Your self-centeredness is so extreme as to make one think you are simply trolling us all. It's hard to believe anyone expressing these attitudes could expect to be taken seriously.



Yes, the bit about old people always getting in the way is a good one.

Funny, in my mind, the knuckleheads are those speeding bikers in bike paths that narrow or curve in areas where small children are meant to be safe riding with their parents.

Racing bikers who push it to the limit on higher density bike lanes and paths are the uncivil, dangerous ones, not the other way around.

I ride an ebike that is really fast, when I use it to speed, it is never in the more urban dense and mixed crowded paths. This sort of attitude is equivalent to small streets versus highways for motorized vehicles.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898691)
Sofa and armchair.

And the difference is that people here on SSP have been able to make that joke for a decade now, but the sofa is still stood good as new while the sushi would have definitely gone off...

You have to admit you make for an irresistible tête de turc* with that one!


*Our language is so un-PC it's not even funny.

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8898623)
LOL. You want to lock the old people away "for their own good" and keep the children and families out of the parks, all so you can do what you want unimpeded.

Your self-centeredness is so extreme as to make one think you are simply trolling us all. It's hard to believe anyone expressing these attitudes could expect to be taken seriously.

Keeping children out of parks is about making social distancing work.

For one thing, parents with kids means a larger group of people, rather than just a couple, who are bound to take up more space on a path which might be narrow.

Kids also can’t even keep a straight line on foot, nor do they have the presence of mind to keep to one side in order to allow sufficient separation from a person passing in the other direction. When they’re weaving around on a bike, it’s completely impossible.

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8898695)
You have to admit you make for an irresistible tête de turc* with that one!

*Our language is so un-PC it's not even funny.

It doesn’t bother me at all. Like many people here I like design, so I bought a couple pieces of furniture that are in the MoMA permanent collection (among others) and which I will own for a long time.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:53 PM

[QUOTE=10023;8898691]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8898469)
Sofa and armchair.

And the difference is that people here on SSP have been able to make that joke for a decade now, but the sofa is still stood good as new while the sushi would have definitely gone off...



Yes, I agree with your take on this.

I have spent a lot on having older high quality sofas reupholstered over the years. You can get a new lease on life for the good stuff. Much of what I have is from my parents, Scandinavian from the early fifties, and period styles that were redone by the same upholsterer we have been using for forty years. Now that our kids are grown, their latest iteration may last a little longer...

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898692)
Yes, the bit about old people always getting in the way is a good one.

But they do.

Imagine a path in the park that is 10 feet wide. A couple could walk right next to each other on one side, and another person could pass on the far side with 6 feet of space between the “strangers”. When that couple is instead walking 3 feet apart from each other, and 3 feet from either edge of the path, they are blocking it completely.

Older people are far more likely to be guilty of this, speaking as someone who has run in my local Royal Park at least a couple of times each week for 7 years. It’s a frustration because this is almost as much of an asshole move in normal times as it is with the virus. They just don’t seem to understand, or care, how to share space.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898701)
It doesn’t bother me at all. Like many people here I like design, so I bought a couple pieces of furniture that are in the MoMA permanent collection (among others) and which I will own for a long time.

Self-awareness is endearing to me, so... :tup:

Crawford Apr 20, 2020 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898697)
Keeping children out of parks is about making social distancing work.

Kids need activity spaces for recreation, though.

Younger children have tons of pent-up energy, and can't be reasoned with. Older folks don't have the same needs and can follow guidelines.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898706)
But they do.

Imagine a path in the park that is 10 feet wide. A couple could walk right next to each other on one side, and another person could pass on the far side with 6 feet of space between the “strangers”. When that couple is instead walking 3 feet apart from each other, and 3 feet from either edge of the path, they are blocking it completely.

Older people are far more likely to be guilty of this, speaking as someone who has run in my local Royal Park at least a couple of times each week for 7 years. It’s a frustration because this is almost as much of an asshole move in normal times as it is with the virus. They just don’t seem to understand, or care, how to share space.


Yes, well it could be that some in that fringe of older folks were hippies in the late sixties and are used to that sort of happy-go-lucky stride. We have become more constrained and regimented in some ways.

mousquet Apr 20, 2020 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898732)
Yes, well it could be that some in that fringe of older folks were hippies in the late sixties and are used to that sort of happy-go-lucky stride. We have become more constrained and regimented in some ways.

That's a myth. I'm astonished so many would still believe in that legend; quite sure those people who grew up in the 1960s were far more manipulative and hypocritical than they would ever admit it to themselves. They always lied even to themselves.
I mean, they've been ruling the world as it is now... So what? Nothing amazing.

Contemporary management designed by engineers raised in the 1990s is both more libre-entreprise and protective.

It only requires you to be productive, which is fair. At least, it won't deceive you. You know exactly what to expect from it. Doesn't cause any unpleasant surprise.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8898749)
That's a myth. I'm astonished so many would still believe in that legend; quite sure those people who grew up in the 1960s were far more manipulative and hypocritical than they would ever admit it to themselves. They always lied even to themselves.
I mean, they've been ruling the world as it is now... So what? Nothing amazing.

Contemporary management designed by engineers raised in the 1990s is both more libre-entreprise and protective.

It only requires you to be productive, which is fair. At least, it won't deceive you. You know exactly what to expect from it. Doesn't cause any unpleasant surprise.


Yes, but I'm talking about the commune types, not the diluted version of communards, the soixante-huitards that had a political agenda. Cohn-Bendit wasn't the flower power type, you've got it all wrong, the small time hippies had sex and cheap perfume and bad weed to get them through the corporate BS.

Probably the finest people that ever walked this earth, or ever will. Lol

mousquet Apr 20, 2020 5:31 PM

^ Comme l'autre guignol de psycho devenu ultra célèbre faute d'un quelconque talent...?
Ah ouais, Charles Manson. C'est ce genre-là qui me venait à l'esprit.
Ton Cohn-Bendit, c'est presque un innocent en vrai, hein.

Puis si t'es tellement frustré de la baise, ben j'sais pas moi, euuuh... Fais-toi séduisant. Fais quelque-chose, ma gueule. Fais ta vie.

Faites chier à la fin avec vos frustrations.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8898896)
^ Comme l'autre guignol de psycho devenu ultra célèbre faute d'un quelconque talent...?
Ah ouais, Charles Manson. C'est ce genre-là qui me venait à l'esprit.
Ton Cohn-Bendit, c'est presque un innocent en vrai, hein.

Puis si t'es tellement frustré de la baise, ben j'sais pas moi, euuuh... Fais-toi séduisant. Fais quelque-chose, ma gueule. Fais ta vie.

Faites chier à la fin avec vos frustrations.

Là, tu t'emporte pour un manque d'humeur, d'humour et de pilules.

Faut pas s'imaginer des trucs, je sais que ta piaule confinatoire, c'est pt'êt' pas l'paradis, mais faut pas 'zagérer quand même.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.