SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Jul 9, 2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9336235)
As an example, the main reason that our airlines haven't all gone belly up is because the government stepped in to rescue them. If there is another severe slowdown in travel, I'm not sure that they'll get the same level of support.

Not so: Delta and Southwest at least probably had the cash to weather the storm and, had the government NOT "helped them" would have come out the other end looking really great with almost no competitors.

The government really helped the flying public more than at least those 2 airlines by keeping the others in business to provide competition in fares.

Have you noticed the government never did "help" the cruise lines and they are still all in existence with, they claim, stronger bookings than before the pandemic.

Pedestrian Jul 10, 2021 7:36 AM

I'm pretty proud of my little blueish purple part of a reddish purple state:

Quote:

Pima County at 70% vaccination rate
Green Valley News
Jul 9, 2021 Updated 6 hrs ago

Pima County achieved a vaccination milestone on Thursday, with 70 percent of the adult population having received at least one dose, according to the CDC’s vaccination dashboard.

CDC data also showed 61.7 percent of those 18 and up have been fully vaccinated.

Other findings included that over 90 percent of those 65 and older in the county have had at least one dose and 67.5 percent of children 12 and up received at least one dose.

The county is still encouraging those who have not been vaccinated to roll up their sleeves.

While breakthrough cases, or COVID-19 infections that occur after someone is fully vaccinated, are rare, they do happen. As of early last week, there have been 401 breakthrough cases among the total 535,000 fully vaccinated Pima County residents.

https://www.gvnews.com/news/pima-cou...iderail-latest

67.5% of children 12 and up is particularly good. In much of the US it's so far more like 25%. And "over 90%" of seniors is comparable to deep blue San Francisco.

10023 Jul 10, 2021 9:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9335438)
The variants may be a joke to some of you but Wall Street started panicing today at the possibility that the business renaissance could be slowed or halted due to government reactions to the delta strain.

FIFY

Obviously if it causes restrictions to be reimposed that’s bad. But it’s the reaction not the disease that is the issue, really.

10023 Jul 10, 2021 9:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9335428)
The US won't tolerate more lockdowns and are largely done with masks. I see very few people wearing them. Even in places like Vermont and Massachusetts.

I don’t even wear one on the tube anymore. More and more people aren’t.

the urban politician Jul 10, 2021 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9336515)
FIFY

Obviously if it causes restrictions to be reimposed that’s bad. But it’s the reaction not the disease that is the issue, really.

Yep

Despite overwhelming evidence that the vaccines have turned the virus, including all of its variants into a veritable common cold, some morons are still treating this thing like it’s a killer plague and monitoring it like one would monitor enemy troops during war.

A total shutdown in reason and logic.

the urban politician Jul 10, 2021 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9336516)
I don’t even wear one on the tube anymore. More and more people aren’t.

UK in point.

Cases have reached a new peak, meanwhile deaths remain rock bottom

Is that enough to convince the fear-porn-media-pharmaceutical industrial complex? Nooooo…. Pfizer is now going to make more billions selling its modified Delta variant vaccine that nobody needs.

Unless real cold, hard data shows me that any new variant is a substantial threat to my health and life beyond what a Flu does to you, I don’t plan to get any modified vaccines to this virus. I am the most pro-vaccine advocate you will ever meet, but even I am growing wary and suspicious of what’s happening. They are trying to press us into a perpetual cycle of shot/new variant/new shot/new variant, etc. Not sure I’m down with that program.

JManc Jul 10, 2021 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9336569)

Unless real cold, hard data shows me that any new variant is a substantial threat to my health and life beyond what a Flu does to you, I don’t plan to get any modified vaccines to this virus. I am the most pro-vaccine advocate you will ever meet, but even I am growing wary and suspicious of what’s happening. They are trying to press us into a perpetual cycle of shot/new variant/new shot/new variant, etc. Not sure I’m down with that program.

Don't we need yearly flu vaccines for new strains that constantly emerge?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9336516)
I don’t even wear one on the tube anymore. More and more people aren’t.

The only time I've worn a mask over the past few months is to fly and they are hard asses about it.

the urban politician Jul 10, 2021 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9336584)
Don't we need yearly flu vaccines for new strains that constantly emerge?
.

^ They are recommended, yes.

But do you recall the media and Governments obsessing over this, tracking daily cases, naming each and every new variant, and then reporting them every single day to the wider public who mostly does not understand how to interpret said information?

Rational minds need to control the conversation here and remind people that if you're vaccinated, you can live life normally, variants or not. This "the variants are coming!" is the most disingenuous, toxic, perhaps even nefariously motivated cesspool of nonsense I've seen any time recently. It needs to stop.

mousquet Jul 10, 2021 3:54 PM

I'll finally get my 1st Pfizer injection next Friday. Not too soon, huh.
2nd injection is scheduled on 08/11. I just need to be up to date for September, when summer is done.

Right now, it's a bit of a struggle to get an appointment in vaccination centers because they've been overbooked here.
At this point, I'm outright in favor of compulsory vaccination for everyone, except of course for people suffering from peculiar allergy, but that's only a small part of the population.

Experts say it's the only way to get rid of the pandemic. If we're not vaccinated, we'll keep on spreading the virus, that's likely to cause more aggressive and harmful variants.
So vaccination is a mere duty for everybody. Again, it simply should be compulsory.

the urban politician Jul 10, 2021 4:31 PM

Well, I'm thankful of this:

Quote:

The Illinois Department of Public Health said today it will follow the CDC guidance for Illinois schools. State education Superintendent Carmen Ayala said in a statement that Illinois is mandating in-person K-12 classes for the 2021-22 academic year, with limited exceptions. Remote instruction be available for students who cannot or have not gotten a COVID vaccine, only while they are under quarantine.

iheartthed Jul 10, 2021 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 9336630)
I'll finally get my 1st Pfizer injection next Friday. Not too soon, huh.
2nd injection is scheduled on 08/11. I just need to be up to date for September, when summer is done.

Right now, it's a bit of a struggle to get an appointment in vaccination centers because they've been overbooked here.
At this point, I'm outright in favor of compulsory vaccination for everyone, except of course for people suffering from peculiar allergy, but that's only a small part of the population.

Experts say it's the only way to get rid of the pandemic. If we're not vaccinated, we'll keep on spreading the virus, that's likely to cause more aggressive and harmful variants.
So vaccination is a mere duty for everybody. Again, it simply should be compulsory.

Don't make any plans for 08/12.

twister244 Jul 10, 2021 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9336569)
UK in point.

Cases have reached a new peak, meanwhile deaths remain rock bottom

Is that enough to convince the fear-porn-media-pharmaceutical industrial complex? Nooooo…. Pfizer is now going to make more billions selling its modified Delta variant vaccine that nobody needs.

Unless real cold, hard data shows me that any new variant is a substantial threat to my health and life beyond what a Flu does to you, I don’t plan to get any modified vaccines to this virus. I am the most pro-vaccine advocate you will ever meet, but even I am growing wary and suspicious of what’s happening. They are trying to press us into a perpetual cycle of shot/new variant/new shot/new variant, etc. Not sure I’m down with that program.

Exactly. The UK numbers right now are an extraordinary snapshot of the vaccines working exactly as they were planned. Many unvaccinated people catching this thing are likely younger people that will recover. The people who are most susceptible have mostly likely been vaccinated >90%, hence you see nearly zero deaths.

Pretty interesting from a scientific/statistical analysis perspective.

bnk Jul 10, 2021 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9336619)
^ They are recommended, yes.

But do you recall the media and Governments obsessing over this, tracking daily cases, naming each and every new variant, and then reporting them every single day to the wider public who mostly does not understand how to interpret said information?

Rational minds need to control the conversation here and remind people that if you're vaccinated, you can live life normally, variants or not. This "the variants are coming!" is the most disingenuous, toxic, perhaps even nefariously motivated cesspool of nonsense I've seen any time recently. It needs to stop.

This :tup:

mousquet Jul 10, 2021 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minato Ku (Post 9329696)
The sidewalks of some streets have disappeared in Paris

I find these temporary things on the streets to be a bit messy. It makes us look like a silly Mediterranean seaside resort with their cheap camping sites all over the freaking place, except we don't have the Med sea out here.

I miss the pre-COVID genuine look of local cafés and restaurants. They usually do better than this to the streetscape on Spring and Summer.

Pedestrian Jul 10, 2021 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9336516)
I don’t even wear one on the tube anymore. More and more people aren’t.

Which, of course, is among the reasons why the cases in the UK are rising. Nothing to boast about.

Pedestrian Jul 10, 2021 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9336685)
Exactly. The UK numbers right now are an extraordinary snapshot of the vaccines working exactly as they were planned. Many unvaccinated people catching this thing are likely younger people that will recover. The people who are most susceptible have mostly likely been vaccinated >90%, hence you see nearly zero deaths.

Pretty interesting from a scientific/statistical analysis perspective.

Certainly the vaccines are working. But the case numbers are higher than they need to be among the unvaccinated for whatever reason because the same idiots who aren't vaccinated also aren't wearing masks when they should. And before you say you have no sympathy for them--I don't either--it's just sad for them that they are doubly ignorant. The fact is they SHOULD be wearing masks. And as a side effect, we might have fewer "break-through" cases also if they did.

Pedestrian Jul 10, 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Strong U.S. Recovery Aids Growth in Canada, Mexico
By Kim Mackrael and Anthony Harrup
July 10, 2021 5:30 am ET

The U.S. economy is so strong that its neighbors, too, are getting a boost.

Businesses and consumers are buying more products from Canada and Mexico, and Americans flush with savings are going back to traveling and sending more money across the southern border, helping to bolster two countries whose economies were hit hard by Covid-19 infections and lockdowns.

Central bank officials have raised their forecasts for economic growth this year to 6% for Mexico and 6.5% in Canada, in part because of the strong U.S. rebound. The $1.9 trillion U.S. stimulus plan enacted in March is expected to increase each country’s output by between half a percentage point and a full percentage point over a 12-month period, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

Much of the increase is due to the strong demand for everything from Canadian lobster to Mexican-made cars that is being generated as the U.S. economy reopens and consumers spend more of the cash they accumulated during the pandemic. U.S. imports from Mexico and Canada were up 30% and 29%, respectively, during the first five months of this year compared with the same period in 2020, and were around 3% and 5% above their 2019 levels, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The U.S. has “a lot of fiscal stimulus under way and more spending on infrastructure in the pipeline,” Bank of Canada deputy governor Timothy Lane said during a press conference last month. “All of that is generally going to be favorable for Canada.”

Citing progress in the economic recovery, Canada’s central bank in April scaled back its bond-buying program to 3 billion Canadian dollars, equivalent to $2.4 billion, in purchases each week from the previous level of C$4 billion. The Bank of Canada also pulled forward its assessment of when it might start raising interest rates again, to the second half of 2022, after earlier saying that could happen in 2023.

The Bank of Mexico raised its benchmark interest rate by a quarter percentage point to 4.25% on June 24 to counter a rise in inflation that resulted partly from price pressures associated with supply-chain bottlenecks . . . .

Some multinational companies have announced new investments in Mexico. Food and consumer-products company Unilever PLC plans to invest around $275 million in the next three years to expand capacity at its four production plants in Mexico . . . .

In eastern Canada, lobster processors are among those reaping the benefits of a reopened U.S. economy, with frozen lobster meat and tails fetching some of their highest prices on record . . . .

Roughly two-thirds of the lobster processed by association members is exported to the U.S. in a typical year, and . . . that proportion could increase this year given that buyers in the U.S. seem more willing to pay this season’s high prices than do customers in Europe and Asia.

Higher prices for crude oil, brought on by the U.S. and global recoveries, are also helping the Canadian economy.

In Alberta, where most of Canada’s crude-oil production is concentrated, there is growing optimism that higher prices will lead to more capital investment, said Jeffrey Sundquist, head of the chamber of commerce in the western province’s capital city of Edmonton.

Dwayne Sample, chief executive officer of Argus Machine Co. in Edmonton, which makes equipment used in oil and gas drilling, said his company has hired back about 35 of the 60 employees it laid off during the pandemic as sales began to pick up this year. However, he said many producers still aren’t buying drilling equipment because they are focused instead on paying off high debt levels or extracting oil from wells they already drilled . . . .

The Bank of Canada has warned that the strong Canadian dollar—buoyed in part by higher commodity prices—could eventually create a headwind for some manufacturing exporters. Supply-chain problems, such as a shortage of semiconductors needed in automotive manufacturing, are also holding back the Canadian and Mexican automotive industries.

Although the Canadian border remains closed to most nonresidents, travel to Mexico is picking up, providing another source of growth for the Mexican economy. In the January through April period, 2.3 million American tourists flew into Mexico, almost as many as in the first four months of 2020, with the resorts of Cancún and Los Cabos the most popular destinations. They accounted for 76% of the total foreign visitors who arrived by air.

Mexican remittances rose 22% in the first five months of the year and could grow further as the U.S. reopens activities that were closed or restricted in 2020, since many migrant workers are employed in services such as hotels and restaurants.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/strong-...d=hp_lead_pos6

You're welcome.

Pedestrian Jul 10, 2021 11:29 PM

As I've been saying, it ain't over until it's over and it ain't over. Those of you sneering at people wanting to maximize their own safety by wearing masks should be ashamed of yourselves. No harm is being done to you except the obvious disagreement with you smugness:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...959608/enhance
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-16304635.php

bnk Jul 11, 2021 2:06 AM

Ped give it up



This whole thing is over


And I swear to what ever



If the adults in the room ever let this kind of global lockdown ever happen again I would be sad more than sad








Trust me

the urban politician Jul 11, 2021 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9336889)
As I've been saying, it ain't over until it's over and it ain't over. Those of you sneering at people wanting to maximize their own safety by wearing masks should be ashamed of yourselves. No harm is being done to you except the obvious disagreement with you smugness:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...959608/enhance
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-16304635.php

The Common cold ain’t over either, genius....

10023 Jul 11, 2021 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9336750)
Which, of course, is among the reasons why the cases in the UK are rising. Nothing to boast about.

The fact that cases are rising doesn’t matter. In fact it’s a good thing - it will get young people antibodies faster than they can procure and deliver Pfizer vax doses.

As in the US, the people still being hospitalised or dying are mostly anti-vaxxers, and fuck them.

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9337036)
The fact that cases are rising doesn’t matter. In fact it’s a good thing - it will get young people antibodies faster than they can procure and deliver Pfizer vax doses.

As in the US, the people still being hospitalised or dying are mostly anti-vaxxers, and fuck them.

Young people in the UK haven't been dying from Covid either. This is a good thing. 5x as many kids have died from suicide than Covid in the UK.

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9336889)
As I've been saying, it ain't over until it's over and it ain't over. Those of you sneering at people wanting to maximize their own safety by wearing masks should be ashamed of yourselves. No harm is being done to you except the obvious disagreement with you smugness:

You can wear a mask for the rest of your life if you want to. Nobody ever said you shouldn't wear a mask. You just look really dumb when you're outside by yourself wearing a mask.

If they work, then you'll be ok!

Bring on MU-2022!

the urban politician Jul 11, 2021 2:12 PM

Yesterday I went to a bar and enjoyed a 20 oz draft in all its glory, then went to the grocery store, not a damn mask in sight.

Shame on us! The scary Delta variant is going to kill us all, right CNN?

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9337069)
Yesterday I went to a bar and enjoyed a 20 oz draft in all its glory, then went to the grocery store, not a damn mask in sight.

Shame on us! The scary Delta variant is going to kill us all, right CNN?

UK, Israeli have presented evidence that Delta is less lethal than the other variants. And given that the US is closing in on 70% with at least a single shot, is there is anything to be concerned with? Full ICUs?
https://nypost.com/2021/07/08/dont-b...ess-dangerous/

Steely Dan Jul 11, 2021 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9337072)
Full ICUs?

100% anecdotal, but my wife's good friend is a nurse at a hospital here in Chicago, and she came over for dinner the other night and she said last week was the first week since the pandemic began that their hospital didn't admit a single covid patient to the ICU.

That's not data, but I took it as a positive sign nonetheless

JManc Jul 11, 2021 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9336889)
As I've been saying, it ain't over until it's over and it ain't over. Those of you sneering at people wanting to maximize their own safety by wearing masks should be ashamed of yourselves. No harm is being done to you except the obvious disagreement with you smugness:

It's largely over if you're vaccinated.

BG918 Jul 11, 2021 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9337078)
It's largely over if you're vaccinated.

I was just in rural Arkansas and lots of people are still getting very sick and dying there. I suspect it is a similar story across the country.

This is an urban-minded forum so anecdotally the pandemic may be over amongst fully-vaccinated city dwellers but it's still raging in our rural areas with no signs of abatement.

twister244 Jul 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 9337170)
I was just in rural Arkansas and lots of people are still getting very sick and dying there. I suspect it is a similar story across the country.

This is an urban-minded forum so anecdotally the pandemic may be over amongst fully-vaccinated city dwellers but it's still raging in our rural areas with no signs of abatement.

Because they chose NOT to get vaccinated.

TWAK Jul 11, 2021 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 9337170)
I was just in rural Arkansas and lots of people are still getting very sick and dying there. I suspect it is a similar story across the country.

This is an urban-minded forum so anecdotally the pandemic may be over amongst fully-vaccinated city dwellers but it's still raging in our rural areas with no signs of abatement.

I'll go check my rural area -
43.5% still unvaccinated and we are right next to the bay area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9337180)
Because they chose NOT to get vaccinated.

That is not good though for places with limited medical facilities (like my area). If there is to be another SURGE, then my county will have to send patients to other counties.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9337036)
The fact that cases are rising doesn’t matter. In fact it’s a good thing - it will get young people antibodies faster than they can procure and deliver Pfizer vax doses.

rising cases do matter.

Quote:

As in the US, the people still being hospitalised or dying are mostly anti-vaxxers, and fuck them.
So you guys are ok with them dying but not a forced injection one time in there lives? Dang.
It's not a true "fuck em". It's half. To fully do that we must break their spirit and vaccinate.

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9337078)
It's largely over if you're vaccinated.

100.

99.2% of Covid deaths in June were the unvaccinated.

Get vaccinated and move on. There is no reason or basis to shut it all down again from media sensationalism at this point.

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9337075)
100% anecdotal, but my wife's good friend is a nurse at a hospital here in Chicago, and she came over for dinner the other night and she said last week was the first week since the pandemic began that their hospital didn't admit a single covid patient to the ICU.

That's not data, but I took it as a positive sign nonetheless

That's a good sign!

Cases can rise (to the moon) as long as we have our most vulnerable vaccinated, especially those that live in areas with a lot of people!

TWAK Jul 11, 2021 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9337215)
100.

99.2% of Covid deaths in June were the unvaccinated.

Get vaccinated and move on. There is no reason or basis to shut it all down again from media sensationalism at this point.

So don't buy the media hype (fear porn?) and you won't be worried about another lockdown :tup:.

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9337238)
So don't buy the media hype (fear porn?) and you won't be worried about another lockdown :tup:.

After 2020, there are some elected officials that are reluctant to loosen their grip on the emergency powers granted to them. As a result, I wouldn't say I'm worried (bc I follow the science), but I can't rule anything out in the Covid-21 season we're in.

Btw, I haven't bought any of the fear porn since May 2020.
Have you?

homebucket Jul 11, 2021 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9336889)
As I've been saying, it ain't over until it's over and it ain't over. Those of you sneering at people wanting to maximize their own safety by wearing masks should be ashamed of yourselves. No harm is being done to you except the obvious disagreement with you smugness:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...959608/enhance
https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-16304635.php

I think it'd be good to see further data on what % of these cases are in vaccinated vs unvaccinated people, and within these 2 subgroups, how many of them are hospitalized and/or die. Without this information, the applicability of the data you've posted is limited.

TWAK Jul 11, 2021 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9337241)
After 2020, there are some elected officials that are reluctant to loosen their grip on the emergency powers granted to them. As a result, I wouldn't say I'm worried (bc I follow the science), but I can't rule anything out in the Covid-21 season we're in.

Please list all of these officials in the CE, and I am assuming some of them come from my state...since it is "the lockdown state"? People who accepted the fear porn about the variants are only doing the same thing as you. They aren't ruling out the T virus mutation in those kinda areas...with red hats.
Quote:

Btw, I haven't bought any of the fear porn since May 2020.
Have you?
Well not really since I don't have cable and live in a rural area :shrug: but if Yahoo! tells me to do it, maybe I will?

Camelback Jul 11, 2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9337254)
Please list all of these officials in the CE, and I am assuming some of them come from my state...since it is "the lockdown state"? People who accepted the fear porn about the variants are only doing the same thing as you. They aren't ruling out the T virus mutation in those kinda areas...with red hats.

What's the CE?

You misread what I was implying. I can't rule anything out bc of the politicians (that refuse to release their emergencies powers, which were granted to them..by..themselves - see the bomb A gif down below :D ). <-They also refuse to accept the science with vaccinations and natural immunity.

Get it?

https://media.giphy.com/media/QQkyLVLAbQRKU/giphy.gif
giphy

dave8721 Jul 12, 2021 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9337248)
I think it'd be good to see further data on what % of these cases are in vaccinated vs unvaccinated people, and within these 2 subgroups, how many of them are hospitalized and/or die. Without this information, the applicability of the data you've posted is limited.

Hospitalizations are beginning to surge in many of the low vaccination states. Patients hospitalized with Covid shot up 35% this week in Florida after a long slow decline. Up 27% from the previous week in Nevada. Up 15% for the US as a whole after having declined for a while.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tal-admissions

twister244 Jul 12, 2021 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9337183)
That is not good though for places with limited medical facilities (like my area). If there is to be another SURGE, then my county will have to send patients to other counties.

rising cases do matter.


So you guys are ok with them dying but not a forced injection one time in there lives? Dang.
It's not a true "fuck em". It's half. To fully do that we must break their spirit and vaccinate.

Am I ok with it? Yes, because they CHOSE not to get vaccinated. You keep missing this point, and it's getting annoying. Why should any of us feel sympathy for communities that reject science and have to deal with the consequences?

BG918 Jul 12, 2021 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9337439)
Am I ok with it? Yes, because they CHOSE not to get vaccinated. You keep missing this point, and it's getting annoying. Why should any of us feel sympathy for communities that reject science and have to deal with the consequences?

Because these are people, your fellow Americans. Yeah I’m frustrated that people aren’t getting vaccinated for whatever reason especially those that openly refuse to because of wild conspiracy theories. But to not feel sympathy for people getting sick and dying and being “ok with it”? What kind of heartless asshole are you?

JManc Jul 12, 2021 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 9337459)
Because these are people, your fellow Americans. Yeah I’m frustrated that people aren’t getting vaccinated for whatever reason especially those that openly refuse to because of wild conspiracy theories. But to not feel sympathy for people getting sick and dying and being “ok with it”? What kind of heartless asshole are you?

I think we as humans should be sympathetic for any pain and suffering but those who forgo getting vaccinated are rolling the dice on their own health and shouldn't hold the rest of us hostage for wanting to get back to some normalcy.

10023 Jul 12, 2021 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 9337459)
Because these are people, your fellow Americans. Yeah I’m frustrated that people aren’t getting vaccinated for whatever reason especially those that openly refuse to because of wild conspiracy theories. But to not feel sympathy for people getting sick and dying and being “ok with it”? What kind of heartless asshole are you?

Saying we don’t care doesn’t mean we’re hoping that people die, or even not feeling sympathy (in a way, it’s not their fault they are stupid). But we aren’t going to tolerate restrictions, or even inconveniences, in our own lives because these people refuse to have the vaccines they are offered.

kool maudit Jul 12, 2021 9:57 AM

It has literally been a few months since the first COVID-19 vaccines were made available to most people. It will all shake out in due time given the safety and efficacy of the shots.

This moment has a bit of that post-9/11 panic feeling to it. It's understandable, but the big ships are turning, and that will continue. Many people who are reluctant to take action in such a climate will come on board as life resumes.

kool maudit Jul 12, 2021 9:59 AM

The demand for large polities to act in unison in very short timeframes is a potential vector for repressive measures. They just came out, it's the seasonal low cycle for respiratory illness, just....hold your horses!

kool maudit Jul 12, 2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9337439)
Why should any of us feel sympathy for communities that reject science and have to deal with the consequences?



Whether or not you feel sympathy is beside the point, as public policy doesn't reach that level of personal emotion.

The point is to factor all variables into your equation, including reluctance.

Modelling based on near-total compliance within 6-12 months seems potentially unscientific in and of itself given the access we have to data from past campaigns and drug roll-outs; hesitancy is always a factor.

Pre-scientific approaches, of course, have the advantage of rolling on a much more emotional level where datasets are further broken down into their supposed internal motivations, such that heresy can just be "stamped out" or similar. But of course we are much more tied to data and the experimental process now.

Camelback Jul 12, 2021 1:15 PM

There are a lot of people that have not gotten the jab because they have already had and recovered from covid. Estimates are that 100 million Americans have had Covid. In time, these people will probably get vaccinated. Your doctor will tell you not to get a shot for a few months after a Covid infection. Again, the US is closing in on 70% with at least one shot.

Blacks and Hispanics have been lagging behind Whites and Asians. Rural areas lagging behind urban areas. And the combination of the two.

eschaton Jul 12, 2021 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9337551)
There are a lot of people that have not gotten the jab because they have already had and recovered from covid. Estimates are that 100 million Americans have had Covid. In time, these people will probably get vaccinated. Your doctor will tell you not to get a shot for a few months after a Covid infection. Again, the US is closing in on 70% with at least one shot.

Blacks and Hispanics have been lagging behind Whites and Asians. Rural areas lagging behind urban areas. And the combination of the two.

I have to say I'm really not liking how many people have concluded that any adult who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet is an antivax Trumpist moron, and deserves whatever they get.

Large numbers of blacks and Latinos, along with younger people, still haven't gotten the shot. They will presumably be more persuadable than the Qanon folks.

the urban politician Jul 12, 2021 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9337649)
I have to say I'm really not liking how many people have concluded that any adult who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet is an antivax Trumpist moron, and deserves whatever they get.

Large numbers of blacks and Latinos, along with younger people, still haven't gotten the shot. They will presumably be more persuadable than the Qanon folks.

^ Yep

But characterizing large and disparate numbers of people with one dismissive label is pretty much what to expect these days

the urban politician Jul 12, 2021 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9337551)
Your doctor will tell you not to get a shot for a few months after a Covid infection.

^ Not me.

I tell my patients who've had COVID (and recovered) to get the shot without delay.

The reason for the recommended delay was a response to a scenario, months ago, when enough vaccine wasn't available. The idea was to allow more vulnerable people to get the shot, which was hard to find at the time. People who'd had COVID were relatively immune so their getting vaccinated was less of a priority.

Now, however, with there being more vaccine than we know what to do with, everybody who's had COVID should get the shot, no delay necessary.

dktshb Jul 12, 2021 3:55 PM

I flew for the first time from SFO to Logan (2 areas with high vaccination rates) and all I can say is the plane sounded like a covid ward. So many (mostly young people) caughing and hacking the entire flight. It was really annoying. They dont check temperatures. So many sick looking and sounding people on that flight.������


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.