SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Apr 23, 2024 7:32 PM

What does undeveloped roadway deduction mean? It’s like 70% of the site

Stijl Apr 24, 2024 4:47 PM

Think it's Dedication and not Deduction. The few times I've seen similar items pop up outside of downtown, these were dedications for roadways that were either planned but never building, or were removed previously. It's a cumbersom process to reintegrate them into the building parcel, but generally that can be done.

In this case, I'd expect it's land that could be buildable but will carry some additional legal / property definitions to make available. I'm not aware of any plans for 1st to fork at that location in the future that would require it to be maintained (or past alignments, but don't know the history there without fiving into historic photos or something).

phxjack Apr 26, 2024 2:48 PM

New 24-Story Tower to Enhance Phoenix's Urban Landscape
 
Aspirant Development is set to transform the southwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road in Phoenix with a new 24-story apartment tower, featuring 320 luxury units and an L-shaped design that incorporates ground-floor retail and restaurant spaces. Purchased from Donnelley Financial Solutions for $13 million, this 3.3-acre site, near attractions like the Phoenix Art Museum, will start construction in the first quarter of 2025 and is expected to be completed in about two years. The development plans include attracting a specialty grocer as a major retail tenant, alongside mid- to high-end dining options, enhancing the area's urban appeal and residential options.


https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...m/73456469007/https://www.azcentral.com/gcdn/autho...pjpg&auto=webp

Obadno Apr 26, 2024 2:59 PM

I think downtown is trendy enough for a whole foods:cheers:

Its nice to see newer proposals upping their design a bit compared to the towers that have gone up a couple years back. Central Station, Rey, Palm all look much better than link etc

However what's with the east/west facing. With nice city and mountain views north and south and minimizing the sun especially on the west face seems crazy to me not to turn this tower 90%

combusean Apr 26, 2024 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 10193317)
I think downtown is trendy enough for a whole foods:cheers:

Its nice to see newer proposals upping their design a bit compared to the towers that have gone up a couple years back. Central Station, Rey, Palm all look much better than link etc

However what's with the east/west facing. With nice city and mountain views north and south and minimizing the sun especially on the west face seems crazy to me not to turn this tower 90%

I think this is to reduce the impact on the neighbors to the southwest, and that wider part of the lot isn't that deep anyways. Having some column free space and a physically more separate building might help the retail lease or better. Retail around here seems to have always done well.

CrestedSaguaro Apr 26, 2024 4:08 PM

Finally, something to be proud of at the McDowell/Central intersection. That intersection should be so much more than it is. Looking forward to this development. :cheers:

ASU Diablo Apr 26, 2024 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 10193380)
Finally, something to be proud of at the McDowell/Central intersection. That intersection should be so much more than it is. Looking forward to this development. :cheers:

That CVS gots to go

gymratmanaz Apr 26, 2024 6:30 PM

CVS goes to make room for more housing and restaurants!!!

I act at The Phoenix Theatre Company, and it is always great to have more dining/drinking options for audience members. TPTC has a great bar and restaurant inside, but more options rock!!!

locolife Apr 26, 2024 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 10193507)
CVS goes to make room for more housing and restaurants!!!

I act at The Phoenix Theatre Company, and it is always great to have more dining/drinking options for audience members. TPTC has a great bar and restaurant inside, but more options rock!!!

Is it open on nights there aren’t events? Didn’t know there was something inside of it, want to checkout a show there some time and I’ve dragged me feet way to long on getting there. Will try to go soon.

gymratmanaz Apr 26, 2024 8:42 PM

Great bar and restaurant. What, you missed me in ELF THE MUSICAL?

They are open only when shows, but there are two theaters and soon-to-be three stages, as they are building a new main stage state-of-the-art theater as we speak. Will be amazing.

locolife Apr 27, 2024 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 10193594)
Great bar and restaurant. What, you missed me in ELF THE MUSICAL?

They are open only when shows, but there are two theaters and soon-to-be three stages, as they are building a new main stage state-of-the-art theater as we speak. Will be amazing.

Awesome to hear it's expanding and more residents nearby can only help, the developer is clearly marketing to a crowd oriented towards the arts, mentioning the PAM access is basically immediate.

Checking out your schedule now, I did miss Elf but will checkout a show soon.

Found an article on the expansion, this sounds like a huge upgrade.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...g/70836066007/

locolife Apr 27, 2024 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 10193405)
That CVS gots to go

Can we start a GFM page for this? They could technically put a new CVS inside of a nice new development there.

locolife Apr 27, 2024 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxjack (Post 10193313)
Aspirant Development is set to transform the southwest corner of Central Avenue and McDowell Road in Phoenix with a new 24-story apartment tower, featuring 320 luxury units and an L-shaped design that incorporates ground-floor retail and restaurant spaces. Purchased from Donnelley Financial Solutions for $13 million, this 3.3-acre site, near attractions like the Phoenix Art Museum, will start construction in the first quarter of 2025 and is expected to be completed in about two years. The development plans include attracting a specialty grocer as a major retail tenant, alongside mid- to high-end dining options, enhancing the area's urban appeal and residential options.


https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...m/73456469007/https://www.azcentral.com/gcdn/autho...pjpg&auto=webp

This would put it at 250-260' tall right? Trying to imagine the shrinking gap between the taller buildings near Roosevelt and the tallest uptown towers, the first I think is the old dial soap building, whatever it's called now. I believe that one is 375' or so

CrestedSaguaro Apr 27, 2024 7:36 PM

It's proposed at 250'. Anything taller would require a height amendment at the site, which probably would not go well with the local residents.

Great that the gap may finally start to potentially get closed up. Hopefully, the proposed high-rises in the Row area will start filling everything in.

combusean Apr 30, 2024 5:10 PM

Big news on Central and Palm. No mention of what they're going to do with the expansive grounds.

https://ktar.com/story/5571848/centr...ter-154-years/

Obadno Apr 30, 2024 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 10195576)
Big news on Central and Palm. No mention of what they're going to do with the expansive grounds.

https://ktar.com/story/5571848/centr...ter-154-years/

Wow, with such massive property I always just assumed they had a big congregation.

I hope it doesn't fall into disrepair and become a blight.

gymratmanaz Apr 30, 2024 7:26 PM

I may have heard in the recent past the idea of putting a parking structure that would serve both the art museum and The Phoenix Theatre Company, though maybe that was an idea for the existing parking spaces to build something like that in the current parking lot footprint. I know Phoenix Theatre has used the church as an alternative theater space during COVID.

exit2lef Apr 30, 2024 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 10195733)
I may have heard in the recent past the idea of putting a parking structure that would serve both the art museum and The Phoenix Theatre Company, though maybe that was an idea for the existing parking spaces to build something like that in the current parking lot footprint. I know Phoenix Theatre has used the church as an alternative theater space during COVID.

There's way too much land wasted on surface parking in the area bounded by the museum, the theater, and the church, and it's silly to see different rows in the same lot marked for different purposes. Ideally, there should be a shared garage there with paid parking. To help ease the transition, the museum could include parking discounts with membership, and the theater could do the same with season ticket holders. As for the church building, it's worth saving, even if for a different use.

PHX31 May 1, 2024 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 10195671)
Wow, with such massive property I always just assumed they had a big congregation.

I hope it doesn't fall into disrepair and become a blight.

Or worse, demolished. Church properties, especially older/historic ones, in the central City are beautiful and nice for the neighborhoods. This one is really nice, even if it's just barely post-war.

I wish their previous one on north central downtown was still around too. I think there is a very very similar looking historic building somewhere in Tucson. It would be nice if Phoenix kept some of its original buildings and architecture and beauty.

Even if they aren't church congregations anymore, repurposing them into housing or lofts or whatever would be so much better than demo/building a 250' box.

Phxguy May 1, 2024 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 10196541)
Or worse, demolished. Church properties, especially older/historic ones, in the central City are beautiful and nice for the neighborhoods. This one is really nice, even if it's just barely post-war.

I wish their previous one on north central downtown was still around too. I think there is a very very similar looking historic building somewhere in Tucson. It would be nice if Phoenix kept some of its original buildings and architecture and beauty.

Even if they aren't church congregations anymore, repurposing them into housing or lofts or whatever would be so much better than demo/building a 250' box.

I beleive this is the church in Tucson you're referring to that looked like the previous iteration in Downtown Phoenix. It's located at the NEC of 5th Street and 6th Ave.

https://i.imgur.com/OSnfZsy.jpeg

Would love reuse of the church to be something that activates this corner throughout the day. Maybe a full-on community center with a farmer's market, similar to the North Phoenix Baptist on Central and Bethany. Maybe a school for the arts or additional affordable housing for the Phoenix Theater Company. I heard PTC purchased a nearby apartment complex for its apprenticing artists. So many possibilties.

My dream would be Phoenix Art expands into its surface lot to the north and consolidates parking in a shared structure east of the church. I also have no idea the feasibliity of museum expansions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.