SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

CTA Gray Line Mar 12, 2015 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6947626)
That's one hell of an assumption to make. And yes, Chuy is totally pandering. If Rahm came out tomorrow and said that he was proposing a Gray Line along the lakefront you'd totally shoot your wad.

The black community (too many) were dumb enough to listen to the endorsements of clergy and what not back in the November generals and look how that turned out. There a governor in office who wants to cut funding to public transit.

I hardly think the black community will come out in droves to vote because they're too damn lazy to do so and I say this as an African-American. The most recent election was one of the lowest voter turnouts on record which is why when people complain, I can't seem to find the time to listen.

It was never Chuy's ambition to be mayor. He was thrust into the limelight because Lewis got sick and asked him to run. He has no plans and is just saying what people want to hear, unlike most politicians. At least Rahm has connections in D.C. and can actually get things done.

WOW -- The next four weeks are going to be a real UFC/MMA Cage Fight, people have such S T R O N G L Y differing opinions;
the past election had the lowest turnout because it was a foregone conclusion that Rahm was going to win, so why go out in
the C O L D to vote? Now that people see that he can LOSE an election -- I think they'll be lining-up Monday morning.

Rahm would N E V E R say that about the Gray Line, and IF he did he would retract it the day after the election; so that is not even a consideration.

YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion, and I am entitled to MINE (neither is necessarily the "right" one).

CTA Gray Line Mar 12, 2015 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6947626)
That's one hell of an assumption to make. And yes, Chuy is totally pandering. If Rahm came out tomorrow and said that he was proposing a Gray Line along the lakefront you'd totally shoot your wad.

The black community (too many) were dumb enough to listen to the endorsements of clergy and what not back in the November generals and look how that turned out. There a governor in office who wants to cut funding to public transit.

I hardly think the black community will come out in droves to vote because they're too damn lazy to do so and I say this as an African-American. The most recent election was one of the lowest voter turnouts on record which is why when people complain, I can't seem to find the time to listen.

It was never Chuy's ambition to be mayor. He was thrust into the limelight because Lewis got sick and asked him to run. He has no plans and is just saying what people want to hear, unlike most politicians. At least Rahm has connections in D.C. and can actually get things done.

YES -- "Get things done" like another Block 37 Money Abyss of his own!

BVictor1 Mar 12, 2015 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6947642)
YES -- "Get things done" like another Block 37 Money Abyss of his own!

Block 37 had nothing to do with the current administration and was a product of bad planning. The junction up north is a known choke point that's seen and felt by riders on a daily basis. Bit of a difference.

BVictor1 Mar 12, 2015 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6947629)
the past election had the lowest turnout because it was a foregone conclusion that Rahm was going to win, so why go out in
the C O L D to vote?

The 46% or whatever it was Rahm got was more than what the other guy received, so technically he did win, he just didn't reach the required threshold and the vote was being split between 5 candidates.

Saying the weather and people thinking it was a foregone conclusion is a weak as explanation and excuse not to vote. Another one of those reasons why I have no time to listen to peoples bitching and stupidity regarding issues.

CTA Gray Line Mar 12, 2015 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6947977)
Block 37 had nothing to do with the current administration and was a product of bad planning. The junction up north is a known choke point that's seen and felt by riders on a daily basis. Bit of a difference.

I lived Lawrence & Kimball and rode the Brown Line every day to work downtown for over 3 years, I am quite familiar with it's day-to-day operation. The junction truly is a choke point, the difference is in how to solve the problem. And the Flyover is THIS administration's 320 Million Dollars worth of BAD PLANNING (but I guess nobody is supposed to recognize that, or attempt to do anything about it). Should nobody should have attempted to do anything to stop Block 37 -- back at the time before it was built?

Chuy IS going to be elected, and he has stated that the Flyover is a waste of Taxpayer Dollars; do you think the old CTA Administration will be able to change his mind once he's in office on that? He also doesn't like the Ashland BRT Waste of 160 Million Dollars worth of Taxpayer Funds either -- Good.

That is 480 Million Dollars, don't you think he'll arrange for a new CTA Planning Dept, with new ideas to spend it on?

J_M_Tungsten Mar 12, 2015 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948062)
Chuy IS going to be elected

Lol, doubtful. "Chuy for Mayor: The Man without a Plan"

sentinel Mar 12, 2015 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948062)
I lived Lawrence & Kimball and rode the Brown Line every day to work downtown for over 3 years, I am quite familiar with it's day-to-day operation. The junction truly is a choke point, the difference is in how to solve the problem. And the Flyover is THIS administration's 320 Million Dollars worth of BAD PLANNING (but I guess nobody is supposed to recognize that, or attempt to do anything about it). Should nobody should have attempted to do anything to stop Block 37 -- back at the time before it was built?

Chuy IS going to be elected, and he has stated that the Flyover is a waste of Taxpayer Dollars; do you think the old CTA Administration will be able to change his mind once he's in office on that? He also doesn't like the Ashland BRT Waste of 160 Million Dollars worth of Taxpayer Funds either -- Good.

That is 480 Million Dollars, don't you think he'll arrange for a new CTA Planning Dept, with new ideas to spend it on?

If you think Chuy really cares, or will come up with new ideas for the CTA, you're living in a dreamworld, sadly. As are most Chicagoans voting for him.

k1052 Mar 12, 2015 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 6948352)
Lol, doubtful. "Chuy for Mayor: The Man without a Plan"

No the plan is to do everything better but actually not specify how while abandoning all modesty in naked pandering.

CTA Gray Line Mar 12, 2015 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 6948479)
If you think Chuy really cares, or will come up with new ideas for the CTA, you're living in a dreamworld, sadly. As are most Chicagoans voting for him.

That is still better than having Rahm bend you over the table edge (without even any foreplay, or mutual consideration, or lubricant)

UPChicago Mar 12, 2015 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 6931674)
Will Chuy be a better mayor for transit than Rahm?

Looks like my question is now answered and the answer is a resounding no. No to transit improvements, No to the Obama library and no to the Lucas Museum. I think I'll pass on Chuy clearly he doesn't get it. Does he think the money will be saved or diverted to use elsewhere? It doesn't work like that.

CTA Gray Line Mar 12, 2015 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 6948627)
Looks like my question is now answered and the answer is a resounding no. No to transit improvements, No to the Obama library and no to the Lucas Museum. I think I'll pass on Chuy clearly he doesn't get it. Does he think the money will be saved or diverted to use elsewhere? It doesn't work like that.

And so what is it you think Rahm is going to do better for us than Chuy; looking from the perspective of the South/Southeast side Black and Hispanic minority communities (the Red Line Extension South of 95th St. will obviously NOT serve South Shore, Grand Crossing, Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, Chatham, E. 79th St., Lakeside, South Chicago, etc., etc., etc......)

Explain Rahm's plans for those places to us.....

UPChicago Mar 12, 2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948642)
And so what is it you think Rahm is going to do better for us than Chuy; looking from the perspective of the South/Southeast side Black and Hispanic minority communities (the Red Line Extension South of 95th St. will obviously NOT serve South Shore, Grand Crossing, Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, Chatham, E. 79th St., Lakeside, South Chicago, etc., etc., etc......)

Explain Rahm's plans for those places to us.....

The U of C Obama Library proposed site and the Red Line extension, even the Ashland BRT ARE projects in minority neighborhood on the SOUTH SIDE so when you say what is he going to do better for us thats a start unless you mean specifically for the Southeast Side, then I ask what is Chuy proposing thats different. If his plan is to "save" or reroute money by not expanding infrastructure then I'm very doubtful he will advocate for any changes on the southeast side especially when it already has Metra service. And the city is more vast than the southeast side, I don't personally live there and it isn't going to matter to my vote regardless. There are other neighborhoods that wish they had the southeast side's level of transit.

Chicago Shawn Mar 12, 2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948062)
I lived Lawrence & Kimball and rode the Brown Line every day to work downtown for over 3 years, I am quite familiar with it's day-to-day operation. The junction truly is a choke point, the difference is in how to solve the problem. And the Flyover is THIS administration's 320 Million Dollars worth of BAD PLANNING (but I guess nobody is supposed to recognize that, or attempt to do anything about it). Should nobody should have attempted to do anything to stop Block 37 -- back at the time before it was built?

Chuy IS going to be elected, and he has stated that the Flyover is a waste of Taxpayer Dollars; do you think the old CTA Administration will be able to change his mind once he's in office on that? He also doesn't like the Ashland BRT Waste of 160 Million Dollars worth of Taxpayer Funds either -- Good.

That is 480 Million Dollars, don't you think he'll arrange for a new CTA Planning Dept, with new ideas to spend it on?

The flyover concept did NOT did start under Rahm's administration, but rather long before it. I'll say this again for you, because you keep making up that little bullet point.

I get it, you hate Rahm. Good, I'm glad to see your opinion, but you don't get to make up facts to support it. Facts have truth in them.

I'm not enchanted with the Ashland BRT either, but to outright say no to it this late in the game without pitching an alternative?

Face it, Chuy is running as Anti-Rahm. What ever Rahm supports, Chuy doesn't. That's the basis of his platform, and means of picking up votes through pandering. He hasn't even released his budget plan yet; apparently it comes out tomorrow (why did not come out before the real election?). This all sounds too familiar and is how Rauner got in: No real platform, no real ideas, no true budget solutions; but ran as the Anti-Quinn. Enough people bought it and it worked to swing the election in his favor, and now voters are surprised when he puts a plan forward. Chuy is just doing the same.

Chi-Sky21 Mar 13, 2015 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948642)
And so what is it you think Rahm is going to do better for us than Chuy; looking from the perspective of the South/Southeast side Black and Hispanic minority communities (the Red Line Extension South of 95th St. will obviously NOT serve South Shore, Grand Crossing, Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, Chatham, E. 79th St., Lakeside, South Chicago, etc., etc., etc......)

Explain Rahm's plans for those places to us.....

Why MUST he do anything for those place? If you do not have the money, you spend what little you have on what gives you the most bang for the buck. He has spent a lot on CTA, expanding capacity on red line and rehabbing blue line are worthwhile projects. Infill stations near the center of the city to help those areas grow are important too. I would love a L line running north to south but it costs to much so you get Ashland BRT, it is worth a shot also. You could put 5 L lines into those south side areas and it would not do a bit of difference, the issues there are far worse than lack of transportation. Not that they do not need to be addressed....but again...where does all this money come from? If you can figure it out...go ahead and run for mayor..you will have my vote.

BVictor1 Mar 13, 2015 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948642)
And so what is it you think Rahm is going to do better for us than Chuy; looking from the perspective of the South/Southeast side Black and Hispanic minority communities (the Red Line Extension South of 95th St. will obviously NOT serve South Shore, Grand Crossing, Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, Chatham, E. 79th St., Lakeside, South Chicago, etc., etc., etc......)

Explain Rahm's plans for those places to us.....

Explain the plans of the alderman who represent those areas.....

Development has slowly but surly been spreading out from the central area. I know that in some of the hispanic areas, they've been fighting gentrification. In fact when you go to many community meeting in any areas of the city people tend to bitch and moan about whatever plans and or progress that are being made.


Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6948613)
That is still better than having Rahm bend you over the table edge (without even any foreplay, or mutual consideration, or lubricant)

Some people like it the '50 Shades' way.

CTA Gray Line Mar 13, 2015 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6948969)
Explain the plans of the alderman who represent those areas.....

Development has slowly but surly been spreading out from the central area. I know that in some of the hispanic areas, they've been fighting gentrification. In fact when you go to many community meeting in any areas of the city people tend to bitch and moan about whatever plans and or progress that are being made.


Some people like it the '50 Shades' way.

People will ALWAYS find something to bitch and moan about (you are RIGHT about that) no matter what. (even on this Board)

And the aldercreatures have NO plans of their own (not allowed), most of them are in thall to the > present < City Hall Administration,
and DARE NOT dispute any Royal Edict; I wonder how this will all balance itself out after the run-off.


Some do, but not most.......

CTA Gray Line Mar 13, 2015 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6948964)
Why MUST he do anything for those place? If you do not have the money, you spend what little you have on what gives you the most bang for the buck. He has spent a lot on CTA, expanding capacity on red line and rehabbing blue line are worthwhile projects. Infill stations near the center of the city to help those areas grow are important too. I would love a L line running north to south but it costs to much so you get Ashland BRT, it is worth a shot also. You could put 5 L lines into those south side areas and it would not do a bit of difference, the issues there are far worse than lack of transportation. Not that they do not need to be addressed....but again...where does all this money come from? If you can figure it out...go ahead and run for mayor..you will have my vote.


OK, let's get into the Cage (we're ready Ref: "Fight"):

You said: "If you do not have the money, you spend what little you have on what gives you the most bang for the buck."
THIS IS VERY TRUE

The Gray Line and Stop the Flyover are going to Tag-Team until the run-off (they state on their website to "Spend it on Southside transit service"): http://stopbelmontflyover.com/ They brought this to me, I knew nothing about it -- but I will support them now like a Rabid Pit-Bull; I have provided them with a basic diagram of an improved type of level crossing (which they REALLY liked) to replace the roller-coaster.

If it only cost 3 to 5 Million dollars to alleviate the delay problem, instead of 320 million: http://bit.ly/FlyoverSwitch that 300+ million left could easily create a new Southside "L" service -- Improved transit services for both the North and Southsides, for the price of a lost roller-coaster.

OK, Now tear the idea to pieces.......

k1052 Mar 13, 2015 1:09 PM

There will still be conflict if the grade crossing is not removed. Crossing time could possibly be shortened however going into the tight curve directly after the crossover will always limit the utility of such an approach. This has always been a TPH bottleneck in the system which the CTA was aware of, hence the several decade long desire to fix it. With rising rail ridership and the need to push more trains at rush periods the time has come to get it done.

I do like that fear mongering website though. I lived in lakeview for years (still own property there) and this will not "destroy" lakeview.

chicagopcclcar1 Mar 13, 2015 2:03 PM

http://bit.ly/FlyoverSwitch that 300+ million left could easily create a new Southside "L" service -- Improved transit services for both the North and Southsides,

That page was drawn by someone who has NO DEGREE IN RAILWAY ENGINEERING. He claims experience in locomotive driving; one might ask why he's not still a locomotive engineer and not working at a gas convenience store. Take that in account when you make your judgement.

le_brew Mar 13, 2015 2:15 PM

it blows my mind that this is a decades long desire to fix the junction while not addressing that antiquated bottleneck called "the loop."

there are far more, and longer delays on several lines (too many) there.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.