SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

k1052 Mar 2, 2015 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6933462)

* = Interestingly, a big factor in the continued gentrification of Wicker Park/Bucktown beyond the hipster stage is the one-seat ride to O'Hare - very valuable to professionals and businessmen who travel frequently.

Several of my friends who also travel all the time and use ORD have bought in proximity to Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan/California stations for this very reason. I myself relocated from Lakeview to River North in order to have a short walk to the Blue Line now that my work demands lots of travel. Any slight bit of inclement weather and the Kennedy/Belmont goes to shit traffic wise and I was done dealing with it.

Easy transit access to a major air hub is a stronger draw than many people might credit.

CTA Gray Line Mar 2, 2015 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 6934346)
WHAT can't you understand? The posted on that curve IS TWENTY FIVE MILES PER HOUR. It is 25 MPH because it is a curve about 300 ft. radius. To go faster would increase the passenger discomfort level. The curve speed limit will never be increased unless you want to lay a new curve.

CAN YOU READ??, I said on the image I posted that "trains would be operated at the limiting speed, 25mph" -- CAN YOU READ David??: https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_26907299355

chicagopcclcar1 Mar 3, 2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6934558)
CAN YOU READ??, I said on the image I posted that "trains would be operated at the limiting speed, 25mph" -- CAN YOU READ David??: https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_26907299355

All I see is some website called "BOX" I am not signing for BOX. Clark Tower has a 25 MPH on the divergent track to the Brown line. I am satisfied with that speed. The CTA is satisfied. The operators are satisfied. You have a good day. I have nothing more to say in that matter.

LouisVanDerWright Mar 3, 2015 12:52 AM

Can someone call the playground monitor to separate the quarreling schoolchildren? Perhaps the reason the grey line is not progressing is that you fly off the handle publicly like this?

CTA Gray Line Mar 3, 2015 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6934805)
Can someone call the playground monitor to separate the quarreling schoolchildren? Perhaps the reason the grey line is not progressing is that you fly off the handle publicly like this?

"I fly off the handle because people are D Y I N G every day in those disadvantaged neighborhoods."

And speaking of which -- I just ran across this article again, it personally offends me -- to see him
smiling and shaking hands, while he works behind their backs to make sure that it D O E S N ' T happen:
http://: http://chicago.cbslocal.com...oods/#comments

All those people in that room are just tools for him to use to get re-elected, he doesn't actually care about them;
didn't you ever read "The Prince" by Machiavelli: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince
Well I did in H.S. and I found it very enlightening in how to understand, and deal with people.

Teacher Betty Howard was murdered through a wall because of just exactly what he is saying -- BUT what he W O N ' T
do anything about (at least not in that neighborhood): http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/25...rt-in-shooting 4 blocks from one of those red dots.

ardecila Mar 3, 2015 2:54 AM

Sure, but a new transit line to the Loop isn't gonna make the difference. There are plenty of areas out in North Lawndale, Englewood or West Garfield Park that sit right beneath an L stop, and the L service hasn't made those areas any less violent. It hasn't made those areas safer or given them a stronger economy.

Nexis4Jersey Mar 4, 2015 6:17 AM

Some CTA photos from Jonathan Lee

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/...da41e8d8_b.jpg
Not in Service
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8665/...1668415c_b.jpg
Winter Race
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8641/...f7c33b4e_b.jpg
Cermak-McCormick Place
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/...4ab5f0b2_b.jpg
Cermak-McCormick Place
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/...f2ce2569_b.jpg
Levels
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/...d2171035_b.jpg
Skokie 32s at Sedgwick
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8598/...d19b0833_b.jpg
Green Line Whiteout
by Lever_Frame, on Flickr

CTA Gray Line Mar 4, 2015 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6934971)
Sure, but a new transit line to the Loop isn't gonna make the difference. There are plenty of areas out in North Lawndale, Englewood or West Garfield Park that sit right beneath an L stop, and the L service hasn't made those areas any less violent. It hasn't made those areas safer or given them a stronger economy.

I've personally known several good people who have been murdered, so I am obsessed with anything I can try to do; and I can't think of anything else a min. wage. gas station cashier could do.

And this admittedly might not work, but I must try.

CTA Gray Line Mar 4, 2015 7:39 AM

Bridgeport activists call for 31st Street CTA bus route
 
http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/re...302-story.html

Tracy Swartz March 3, 2016, 4:00 pm

A group of Bridgeport activists once again are asking the CTA to restore the long-gone bus service along 31st Street between the lakefront through the Bridgeport community and west to suburban Cicero.

Some South Side residents long have called for this service, but the cash-strapped CTA has maintained there is not enough demand to warrant the additional route.....

CTA Gray Line Mar 4, 2015 7:44 AM

Chicago mayoral candidates sound off on transit priorities
 
http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/re...302-story.html

Tracy Swartz March 2, 2015 12:53 pm

ADD ONE more item to the list of topics Mayor Emanuel and his formidable challenger Cook County Commissioner Jesus "Chuy" Garcia disagree on: Emanuel's proposed flyover at the Belmont stop in Lakeview.

Though they've spent lots of time shaking commuter hands at CTA stops, Emanuel and Garcia have been vague on what Chicago transit will look like over the next four years. Garcia hasn't detailed what specific transit projects he would push if he were elected while Emanuel has stuck to promoting plans already announced or in the works.

One Emanuel proposal Garcia is against is the proposed $320 million flyover, which Garcia criticized as "an unnecessary expenditure of taxpayer funds that will generate little return on investment" in an email via his spokeswoman.....

Chicagoguy Mar 4, 2015 5:50 PM

Does anyone on here know when the new Ravenswood Metra Station is set to open?

Vlajos Mar 4, 2015 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 6937387)
Does anyone on here know when the new Ravenswood Metra Station is set to open?

It never closed.

Baronvonellis Mar 5, 2015 11:06 PM

Haha, smart guy. He means the new station. It sure is the slowest construction project. It was supposed to open in May of last year. Now who knows?

Busy Bee Mar 5, 2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6936899)
One Emanuel proposal Garcia is against is the proposed $320 million flyover, which Garcia criticized as "an unnecessary expenditure of taxpayer funds that will generate little return on investment" in an email via his spokeswoman.....

Well Chuy for Mayor then.

CTA Gray Line Mar 6, 2015 8:06 PM

$350 million Superloop streetcar system being studied
 
http://www.gazettechicago.com/index/...being-studied/

$350 million Superloop streetcar system being studied

March 5, 2015

By Dan Kolen

An old mode of transportation not seen in Chicago since the 1950s may be coming back if the Chicago Streetcar Renaissance (CSR) group has its way.

The group is conducting an extensive economic analysis for a more than six-mile streetcar system, which would start at Ogilvie Transportation Center and Union Station and extend to Navy Pier, McCormick Place, and the museum campus......

the urban politician Mar 7, 2015 1:32 PM

^ I like this quote from the article, and I wish more people would keep this in mind:

Quote:

In Chicago the goal of creating a positive public transit experience and having people choose to not use their cars is something O’Neill takes very seriously.

“The car really hurts the fabric and culture of Chicago if it gets out of control,” he said. “We’ll do anything to support projects that keep people out of their cars and engaged in the city. Public works projects can be daunting financially, but they’re a drop in the bucket compared to billions of dollars to redo highways.”

Rebuilding and widening the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway, a little northeast of the city, will cost $2.5 billion or $100 million per mile, according to the Illinois Department of Transit.

Resurfacing I-88 will cost $107.9 million. Building outbound ramps and bridges on the Stevenson Expressway at Lake Shore Drive, a plan that will extend into 2016, will cost $55 million.

Compared to these major road projects, the money to build the six-mile streetcar system is within the realm of major transit construction projects, proponents believe.

Mr Downtown Mar 7, 2015 3:44 PM

If you’re referring to the fiscal aspects, that’s not a very useful comparison because the highway projects are entirely paid for by motorists, whereas transit riders only pay half their operating costs and pretty much none of the capital costs. It’s like saying we shouldn’t balk at more library spending because Americans spend billions every year buying books.

Because Congress and the General Assembly have been scared to raise gas taxes, user fees from motorists now pay only about 60% of the cost of all roads—but remember that includes all subdivision streets and county roads. Busy superhighways generate such an immense amount of gas taxes that they not only pay for themselves but subsidize smaller roads, too.

OrdoSeclorum Mar 7, 2015 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6941648)
highway projects are entirely paid for by motorists.

This is a half truth, at best. If you rear down neighborhoods, dis-invest in transit, give tax-breaks to build houses far from the city center and then build a highway that's the only way to get where you're going, I suppose in a twisted way they could be considered to "pay for themselves".

This reasoning still only works, of course, only works if you ignore the cost of lost neighborhoods, the blight on the landscape, the difficulty in walking, the increased noise and reduces air quality and so on. Ft. Wayne used to look nice. Now it's all parking lots and highways that "pay for themselves".

Mr Downtown Mar 7, 2015 7:10 PM

^That's quite the litany of tangential issues, there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum (Post 6941676)
If you [t]ear down neighborhoods

Done for reasons other than superhighways in nearly all instances. And when done for radial freeways, what was the realistic alternative? Seeing all the industry move to truck-accessible greenfields on the suburban periphery?

Quote:

dis-invest in transit
Where has this ever occurred? Since 1964, government aid to transit, at all levels, has increased steadily and dramatically—from zero to many billions of dollars. A large proportion of that aid has been paid by motorists.

Quote:

give tax-breaks to build houses far from the city center
But this didn't happen. The exact same mortgage interest deduction was available for houses (and co-ops and condos) in the city as outside it.

Quote:

and then build a highway that's the only way to get where you're going
Particularly in the case of Fort Wayne—or anywhere in the Midwest and West—I think your argument is with the county officials of the 19th century who authorized ubiquitous section-line roads. Fort Wayne has never even had a radial freeway, only a bypass route.

the urban politician Mar 7, 2015 7:27 PM

Still, Mr. D, I have a hard time accepting any argument that an investment in transit in downtown Chicago, the largest commercial, residential, & cultural hub between the coasts, doesn't deserve a sub-billion dollar transit investment every....hmmmm....half century or so.

The $350 million dollars really is quite a drop in the bucket if you really think about it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.