SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

BonoboZill4 Feb 25, 2019 4:41 AM

https://i.imgur.com/F082yVH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jndj6Bq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U42GMTd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NGjHU0X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K6yoGFm.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/eKdoR2Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rizIZYp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yjGpoo0.jpg

harryc Feb 26, 2019 1:17 AM

Feb 25







KWillChicago Feb 26, 2019 1:47 AM

I'm really interested in how they are going to do the lighting mechanics for the crown.

cozy Feb 26, 2019 8:38 AM

harry, amazing close-ups. we are counting on you for cube updates!

KWill, so am I!!! City won't let vista illuminate the blow through floor so im curious what the restrictions on this are, especially with it's colorful neighbor. would be pretty cool to see it change colors at night.. like, really cool.

LouisVanDerWright Feb 26, 2019 4:07 PM

What is most interesting about that picture is not the cube, but the fact that the glass ended up catching the concrete before they were completely topped out...

cozy Feb 26, 2019 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8487707)
What is most interesting about that picture is not the cube, but the fact that the glass ended up catching the concrete before they were completely topped out...

whilst caterwaul from the EFCO team can be heard from across the park

PittsburghPA Feb 26, 2019 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8487707)
What is most interesting about that picture is not the cube, but the fact that the glass ended up catching the concrete before they were completely topped out...


I was told to expect something similar with WPE.

The cube is so awesome. Great job by all on updating us. One of my favorite architectural features going right now out of any project.

cozy Feb 26, 2019 9:33 PM

The fact that they are making it out of reinforced concrete instead of steel makes it so much cooler

PittsburghPA Feb 26, 2019 9:37 PM

Excellent point Cozy. They aren't skimping on anything with this project.

10023 Feb 26, 2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWright (Post 8488201)
I'm sure there's an ordinance being written if one doesn't exist to contend with any interactive or creative lighting for NEMA. Chicago's lighting is the most homogeneous, discreet and boring of any city in it's class.

Not everyone likes a bunch of gaudy multicolored neon lights, like an Asian city or fucking Vegas.

LouisVanDerWright Feb 26, 2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8488327)
Not everyone likes a bunch of gaudy multicolored neon lights, like an Asian city or fucking Vegas.

Yeah, in Chicago "lighting" consists of uplighting highlighting the sickest architectural features of each building. In other cities the lighting itself is the attraction because the architecture it is attached to is so gaudy or bland. Who needs crazy displays when you can just light up the antennae with seasonal colors like they do with the Sears.

KWillChicago Feb 26, 2019 10:27 PM

Im also interested if they are going to paint the cube or cover it in cladding. I would imagine a metal or aluminum would light up better like sears/hancock/trump.

donnie Feb 27, 2019 2:32 AM

I'm still not convinced it's a cube therefore i shall refrain from judgment!

:shitstorm:

BonoboZill4 Feb 27, 2019 5:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8488327)
Not everyone likes a bunch of gaudy multicolored neon lights, like an Asian city or fucking Vegas.

There's definitely a grey area between the two extremes...

Ned.B Feb 27, 2019 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8488576)
I'm still not convinced it's a cube therefore i shall refrain from judgment!

:shitstorm:

I've been thinking that too. While we can see there won't be a floor slab in there, the cube might still end up getting clad in some way. Even in the same glass as the tower.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it comes out. From all of the renderings and models and the finished product that doesn't quite match any of them, the details on this tower have clearly been in continual refinement.

LouisVanDerWright Feb 27, 2019 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWright (Post 8488541)
These elitist preservationist rants anytime someone is of an opinion that indicates Chicago may be lacking in any area is mind-numbing.

No one was advocating for the strawman created with the "Las Vegas" "crazy displays" and "gaudy" rebuttals. To have an ordinance against illuminating Vista's blow-through floor for example is ridiculous and ultra conservative. To dismiss an alternating LED display for the cube above NEMA as gaudy is extreme.

All Chicago architecture isn't masterpieces that some additional and (or) colorful lighting would detract from the elegance and grandeur of the structure. The lighting is minimalist, homogeneous accent and crown lighting that fails to even attempt to be unique. The night skyline could be significantly enhanced with more creative and varied schemes without detracting from the integrity of the architecture. There's a huge middle ground between Chicago's style and Pudong.

This is like the people who disagree with Chicago's signage restrictions being seen as advocating for Times Square.

What makes you think the cube won't be illuminated with LED uplighting like literally every other major building in the city? That's not what you were calling for...

And what does any of this have to do with preservation?

jc5680 Feb 27, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 8488935)
I've been thinking that too. While we can see there won't be a floor slab in there, the cube might still end up getting clad in some way. Even in the same glass as the tower.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it comes out. From all of the renderings and models and the finished product that doesn't quite match any of them, the details on this tower have clearly been in continual refinement.

Put me in the 'cube is hardly an assured thing' group too. If the top 'floors' are just effectively screening it would make sense to transition to steel framing for a number of reasons.

The cube has always seemed like an early rendering pushed out for time, but not part of any plans past that. The current rendering on the website shows no cube, the model at the first community meeting had no cube. Models shared for use in other developments renderings had no cube (1000m). I like the idea of a cube, and generally prefer crowns with an intentional articulation, but I think a lot of you are drawing hopeful conclusions

From page 1, the real thing is practically a carbon copy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 7138978)


cozy Feb 27, 2019 6:18 PM

I hate you all, because you're most definitely right. Been thinking about how any developer would laugh at that feature and tell the team to put units there instead of an expensive ornament

aaron38 Feb 27, 2019 6:54 PM

If the feature is above the elevator motors, above the water tanks, above all mechanicals, by definition it couldn't have units in it, else there'd be more above that.

cozy Feb 27, 2019 9:02 PM

All I can say for sure is it looks like they are building the cube

https://i.imgur.com/HhGlzE9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iUcmepz.jpg?1

I know the summers in this city are nice, but.. no roof?


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.