SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

The North One Apr 27, 2020 7:13 PM

^ that sounds like good news.

Yuri Apr 27, 2020 7:21 PM

Another city not counting deaths anymore. Manaus, 2 million inh., Brazilian Amazon, registered 140 burials yesterday, up from an of average of 30 till early April. Shockingly, only 10 of those diagnosed with Covid-19, indicating the local health system is completely overwhelmed.

Link with details: https://g1.globo.com/am/amazonas/not...covid-19.ghtml

SlidellWx Apr 27, 2020 7:49 PM

Zero new deaths related to COVID-19 in New Orleans over the past 24 hours. Great news! Phase 1 of reopening commences on Friday.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronaviru...4678673fc.html

jtown,man Apr 27, 2020 8:44 PM

Anyone here live in places like Mumbai or Lagos? I am extremely interested in how life is going in those places.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905084)
I don't think we'll know the true picture until it's over and we can do these analyses in restrospect. For one thing, I suspect there'll be a lot of revisions about who died of the virus and who died of other things.

And I have never argued coronavirus is not a serious thing, much worse than the flu or the other things its been compared with.

By the way, comparing New York to CA, they apparently ARE different strains of the virus. I heard it said today--I think it was by Dr. Gottlieb--that there are now 4 known strains of the virus and the Chinese strain prevalent in CA is different from the European strain prevalent in NY. So they could have different IFRs and other differences (but I agree, probably nothing like 10 times though as a Californian, I can hope so).

Agreed, the excess death data combined with serological tests once enough people have been exposed that the false positive rate doesn't matter as much will tell us the answer eventually.

It would be interesting if the Chinese strain were much less lethal than the European strain (or even if somehow Asian people were less severely affected; Santa Clara County is one of the most Asian counties in the country). That would change a lot of the conversation about how good various countries have been at dealing with the issue.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8905443)
They are now banning reusable bags because they are getm carriers it’s been discovered. In San Francisco they now charge $0.10 per bag for plastic ones to encourage reusable ones except now the reusable ones are banned. No choice I guess but pay the $010.

Even the local farmers market depends on commercial contract meat processors, albeit small, local ones, and immigrant farm labor to pick crops. The processors are closing one by one and the farm labor is vanishing. Besides, where I live the farmers markets closed for lack of business—everybody’s holed up at home.

Stores here are no longer charging for bags (and also not allowing you to bring your own). Not sure if they're eating the cost or if the City has suspended the normal rules.

So far, the only impossible thing to find has been yeast (going to the grocery store only once a week means I need to make my own bread).

mrnyc Apr 28, 2020 1:08 AM

^ yeah, that new paying for the plastic bag thing went right out the window with this disaster in nyc. we usually bring baggus along anyway though.

jtown,man Apr 28, 2020 1:38 AM

Environmentalism regarding plastics has gone out the window. We now know how important of a product it is.

mrnyc Apr 28, 2020 1:42 AM

^ lol so true.

nature comes out and pollution drops:

https://donyc.com/p/pollution-plumme...irus-shutdowns

xzmattzx Apr 28, 2020 3:20 AM

Delaware has soft-closed its borders, but I have been seeing as much of a percentage, or maybe even a higher percentage, of Massachuetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, DC, Virginia, and North Carolina plates over the past month. This is on I-295 and I-295 (which goes to the New Jersey Turnpike), but it's also on side roads and in the suburbs and cities. I thought all these states had stay-at-home orders in place (other than Massachusetts)?

dave8721 Apr 28, 2020 5:01 AM

Miami-Dade is going to open parks to walking and jogging starting this week. I will finally be able to take the kids on a walk along the water away from people again. Never really made sense why they closed them, except for people were abusing them throwing parties in parks and stuff and playgrounds will still be closed of course. The 2 local National Parks are still closed though.

Pedestrian Apr 28, 2020 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8905915)
So far, the only impossible thing to find has been yeast (going to the grocery store only once a week means I need to make my own bread).

Try sourdough. Tastes better anyway: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/lear...urdough/create

Incidentally, I find that using whole wheat flour for the starter really does work better than white flour but you can use regular bread flour when you bake. Just keep using whole wheat to "feed" your starter.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2020 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8906122)
Try sourdough. Tastes better anyway:

You may be from San Francisco when...

But not a bad idea.

Crawford Apr 28, 2020 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 8906031)
I thought all these states had stay-at-home orders in place (other than Massachusetts)?

I don't think any of these states have orders preventing interstate travel. Stay-at-home orders don't actually mean you can't leave your residence.

And that would be really hard to enforce in this part of the country anyways, given all the tiny states in proximity, and the tons of people that have family and weekend homes in other states.

Just anecdotal, but I have friends/neighbors currently staying in non-primary homes in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. No one can stop someone from accessing their homes.

JManc Apr 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8905532)
^ that sounds like good news.

Not if you're these animals. There is no happy ending here for them.

Pedestrian Apr 28, 2020 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8906401)
Not if you're these animals. There is no happy ending here for them.

Quote:

Executive order expected to keep meat plants open • 1:15 PM

. . . President Trump indicates that he will sign an order under the Defense Production Act for meat processing manufacturers to stay open.

The order could protect the companies from a liability standpoint, although with some COVID-19 deaths tied to meat plants it's likely to be controversial as well.
Tyson Foods . . . . Analysts don't expect the meat shortage to be a long-term consideration, although it should be supportive of pricing for producers.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/356540...content=link-7

JManc Apr 28, 2020 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8906421)

I heard about that. I know we probably can't catch CV-19 through animal meat but the thought of these plants ordered to resume operations with possible infected workers is making vegetarianism sound more appealing.

Steely Dan Apr 28, 2020 7:16 PM

* posts deleted *

Fuck off with the politics.

Take that shit to the CE toilet.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2020 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8906490)
I heard about that. I know we probably can't catch CV-19 through animal meat but the thought of these plants ordered to resume operations with possible infected workers is making vegetarianism sound more appealing.

Well, typically one cooks the meat which would probably kill CV-19. As long as you follow basic food safety precautions I imagine the risk is small. There is probably a bigger risk from eating fruit... I typically don't wash my apples with soap, for example.

homebucket Apr 28, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Coronavirus: 14,000 Stanford Health Care workers hit with furloughs, pay cuts
By ALDO TOLEDO | atoledo@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 27, 2020 at 4:40 p.m. | UPDATED: April 28, 2020 at 5:46 a.m.

STANFORD — Slammed financially like other Bay Area hospitals by the devastating coronavirus pandemic, Stanford on Monday imposed 20 percent pay cuts and across-the-board furloughs for roughly 14,000 health care workers, including administrators and doctors.

Nurses, doctors, technicians, staff and even the CEO and administrators at Stanford Hospital, Stanford-ValleyCare and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital had the option last week of accepting a pay cut or taking paid vacation time in the next 10 weeks — a move that health care administrators say could be shortened or extended.

In a letter sent to workers, health system President and CEO David Entwistle said employees also have the choice of taking a furlough that qualifies them for federal and state unemployment benefits. Workers also can do a combination of all the options, and the hospital system said it will offer help in filing for unemployment insurance.

The system made the decision to cut pay and hours after sustaining a sharp drop in revenue as a result of a 40% decrease in emergency room visits and similar declines in elective surgeries and noncoronavirus-related medical services.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...ughs-pay-cuts/

Yuri Apr 29, 2020 1:14 AM

Brazil registered 474 deaths today, a new daily record, and it's already the third country in number of daily cases, behind the US and Britain only.

With the increasingly chaotic leadership, I believe things will deteriorate very quickly.

xzmattzx Apr 29, 2020 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8906254)
I don't think any of these states have orders preventing interstate travel. Stay-at-home orders don't actually mean you can't leave your residence.

And that would be really hard to enforce in this part of the country anyways, given all the tiny states in proximity, and the tons of people that have family and weekend homes in other states.

Just anecdotal, but I have friends/neighbors currently staying in non-primary homes in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. No one can stop someone from accessing their homes.

There is a mandatory 14-day quarantine for anyone entering Delaware, resident or non-resident. Yes, people can go to second houses and beach houses in other states, and there is nothing to stop them. But what if they go to the grocery store 2 days after they arrived? Then they can spread the virus from whatever state they came from.

Police in some of the beach towns here are following cars with out-of-state license plates to see where non-residents are going. It may well be an infringement of civil liberties, but they are hounding non-residents to make sure they are not going anywhere outside of their properties.

pip Apr 29, 2020 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8906970)
Brazil registered 474 deaths today, a new daily record, and it's already the third country in number of daily cases, behind the US and Britain only.

With the increasingly chaotic leadership, I believe things will deteriorate very quickly.

welcome to the club

sopas ej Apr 29, 2020 3:24 PM

From patch.com:

Los Angeles Tops 1,000 Coronavirus Deaths Amid Signs Of Hope
The number of new cases may be leveling off, and there are currently no plans to extend the shutdown order set to expire May 15.

By Paige Austin, Patch Staff
Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm PT

LOS ANGELES, CA — Even as the rate of new coronavirus cases appears to be leveling off in Los Angeles, the county reached a grim milestone surpassing 1,000 deaths due to COVID-19.

Another 52 people died from the disease, the county Department of Public Health reported Tuesday, bringing the total to 1,002 fatalities. Another 597 contracted the coronavirus. Though dozens are still dying daily, there are hopeful signs that the coronavirus is leveling off, and the region can begin preparing for shutdown orders to be lifted in upcoming weeks.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday hinted as much, telling reporters it could be "weeks, not months" until some of the stay-at-home orders are relaxed, possibly allowing some lower-risk businesses to reopen.

LA County's Safer At Home order is set to expire May 15, and there are no current plans to extend the order, County public health director Barbara Ferrer said. Health officials are in agreement with the governor that a gradual reopening is on the horizon, she said. As the May 15 date approaches, officials will re-evaluate the need for extending the orders.

"I think we're all with the governor on this," Ferrer said. "We know that we're headed into recovery. We're hoping that happens sometime in the middle of May, that's our best guess right now.

"But I do share the governor's optimism. I think I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all of the people in L.A. County who are staying home, who are doing their very best to protect themselves and their loved ones who are trying really hard to make sure they don't spread the infection. And because of that, I feel optimistic, come the middle of May, we too will be looking at the ability to relax some of the directives in the current health officer order."

That said, many factors have to line up before Los Angeles can begin returning to normal. The decision to ease social-distancing and business-closure requirements will depend on multiple factors such as hospital capacity, the expansion of testing and ensuring the ability to continue protecting the health of people more susceptible to the virus, Ferrer said.

"We all have to work together. We have to partner with all of our businesses, with all of our residents to make sure as we start relaxing, we do so in a way that maximizes our ability to still do a lot of physical distancing," added Ferrer.

Outbreaks in Los Angeles continue to be deadliest to nursing home residents. The county instituted a number of measures to curb the outbreaks this week including increased testing and a ban on visitors.

Of the people who have died, 462 were residents of institutional settings, the vast majority of them in nursing homes -- representing 46% of all COVID-19 deaths in the county. Of the 11 health care workers who have died in the county during the pandemic, eight worked at nursing homes, Ferrer said. There have been a total of 4,488 cases among residents and staff in institutional settings, including nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, shelters, jails and prisons, according to the county.

Coronavirus testing has been ramped up at nursing homes throughout the county, with tests being provided for all residents and staff regardless of whether they are showing any symptoms. Ferrer publicly apologized Monday for not offering such widespread testing from the outset of the pandemic, before it was known that people could transmit the virus to others without showing any symptoms of the illness.

The fatalities also continued to have a disproportionate impact on the black community. According to the county, of the 918 people who died for whom information was available, 37% were Latinx, 29% were white, 18% were Asian, 14% were black and 1% were Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. Black residents make up roughly 9% of the county's overall population. More than 133,000 Los Angeles County residents have been tested for COVID-19.

City News Service and Patch Staffer Paige Austin contributed to this report.

Link: https://patch.com/california/hollywo...mid-signs-hope

sopas ej Apr 29, 2020 3:44 PM

Tomorrow, my partner will be starting his 7th week of working from home. Since he's been working from home, he's noticed that the young-ish heterosexual couple upstairs have been fighting more and more---a change from the first week, when he said they would have really loud sex. Now they have really loud arguments. They've been living in our building for close to a year now.

The chalk art/chalk drawings on the sidewalks in our neighborhood seem to have died down; maybe kids are getting sick of it. Since the start of the stay-at-home order, I noticed more and more noisy kids; I still hear more noisy kids on the weekend, but this past weekend I feel like the sound has died down, I'm thinking it's because we've been running our A/C since the weather here has heated up. The A/C can make for nice white noise.

One of the restaurants in our immediate neighborhood seems to be doing more and more business for takeout.

We haven't left Los Angeles County since the beginning of March. In the past 7 weeks, I've visited my parents twice.

xzmattzx Apr 30, 2020 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8907385)
Tomorrow, my partner will be starting his 7th week of working from home. Since he's been working from home, he's noticed that the young-ish heterosexual couple upstairs have been fighting more and more---a change from the first week, when he said they would have really loud sex. Now they have really loud arguments. They've been living in our building for close to a year now.

The chalk art/chalk drawings on the sidewalks in our neighborhood seem to have died down; maybe kids are getting sick of it. Since the start of the stay-at-home order, I noticed more and more noisy kids; I still hear more noisy kids on the weekend, but this past weekend I feel like the sound has died down, I'm thinking it's because we've been running our A/C since the weather here has heated up. The A/C can make for nice white noise.

One of the restaurants in our immediate neighborhood seems to be doing more and more business for takeout.

We haven't left Los Angeles County since the beginning of March. In the past 7 weeks, I've visited my parents twice.

Regarding your first two points, I have been seeing a few articles lately about how the collective mental health of the country is really deteriorating now.

hauntedheadnc Apr 30, 2020 2:04 PM

Every year the local HIV/AIDS advocacy organization, the Western North Carolina AIDS Project, holds an event called Dining Out For Life. You go eat at a participating restaurant, and that restaurant donates part of the proceeds to WNCAP. Dining Out For Life is today, and has been re-christened Dining In For Life. You can get takeout or delivery from participating restaurants, and they'll still donate part of their take to WNCAP today. Another Dining Out For Life has been scheduled for December in the hopes that some semblance of normalcy will have returned by then. It touched my heart to see so many restaurants, even in the face of this economic hellscape, still willing to help out. It also touched my heart to see that Asheville's only Ethiopian restaurant is participating and is open for takeout and delivery. I have a soft spot for them after they struggled some after opening, and put out an ad a few years ago that laid it out bluntly for the community: You wanted Ethiopian food, we provide it, and if you don't pony up we're going under. The community rallied around them, and it honestly makes me a little misty-eyed to see that they're surviving this, and not only that, but they're willing to take part in this fundraiser.

Asheville is a foodie town, and reading all the local news about how all the restaurants are trying so hard and having to be so creative really just makes me tear up sometimes. I've always had a lot of respect for our local chefs and restaurant staffs, but never as much as I do now. These people are working hard right now.

mrnyc Apr 30, 2020 6:34 PM

hellooo cleeeveland :cheers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWUbbIyW...pg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/PatrickShepherd/...033277441?s=20

homebucket Apr 30, 2020 11:35 PM

We can go outside now!

Quote:

California releases detailed list of outdoor activities allowed during shutdown
By Amy Graff, SFGATE Updated 3:46 pm PDT, Thursday, April 30, 2020

California Gov. Gavin Newsom is encouraging residents to go outdoors during the shelter-in-place order as long as they follow social distancing guidelines.

"We want you to see sunsets," he said. "We want you to enjoy activities outdoors. What they don't want is people congregating outside in large groups."

The governor noted the state has released a new list of activities allowed on its COVID19.ca.gov website, and we've posted it below. All of these activities are allowed as long as they're done only with members of your household and if you maintain a distance of six feet from others.

-- Athletics
-- Badminton (singles)
-- Throwing a baseball or softball
-- BMX biking
-- Canoeing (singles)
-- Crabbing
-- Cycling
-- Exploring rock pools
-- Gardening (not in groups)
-- Golf (singles, walking – no cart)
-- Hiking (on trails and paths allowing distancing)
-- Horseback riding (singles)
-- Jogging and running
-- Kite boarding and kitesurfing
-- Meditation
-- Outdoor photography
-- Picnics (with your stay-home household members only)
-- Quad Biking
-- Rock Climbing
-- Roller Skating and Roller Blading
-- Rowing (singles)
-- Scootering (not in groups)
-- Skateboarding (not in groups)
-- Soft martial arts – Tai Chi, Chi Kung (not in groups)
-- Table tennis (singles)
-- Throw and catch an American mini football, Frisbee or Frisbee golf (not in groups)
-- Trail running
-- Trampolining
-- Tree climbing
-- Volleyball (singles)
-- Walk the dog
-- Wash the car
-- Watch the sunrise or sunset
-- Yoga

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorsp...e-15238108.php

xzmattzx May 1, 2020 12:12 AM

Aren't most of these already allowed, and/or obvious?

Also, my friend in San Jose said he is going golfing this weekend and they have a group with a time reserved. So I am wondering how this stuff is going to go.

jtown,man May 1, 2020 12:29 AM

I went for a walk the other day, I honestly couldn't get the smile off my face. I noticed others looked happy too. It was a nice day and a decent amount of people were out enjoying it. This one lady was cracking up on the phone, a dog was running away from it's owner...while the owner was laughing at the situation. A kid had a gnarly wreck on his scooter but landed in some grass/side of a bush so he was good.

It was a weird walk, like I was watching a movie or something. Anyways, It reminded me that going outside is amazing and being out with people is so important for our health. The nice summer weather will naturally get even the most scared people out of their houses. It boosted me up for a couple of days.

SteveD May 1, 2020 2:38 PM

Exploring rock pools? :shrug: :cheers:

Georgia, which sort of never shut down, is sort of opening back up again.

I don't really think most of metro Atlanta is, and metro Atlanta is about 60% of the state population and more than 2/3rds of the state economy.

Vlajos May 1, 2020 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8909062)
I went for a walk the other day, I honestly couldn't get the smile off my face. I noticed others looked happy too. It was a nice day and a decent amount of people were out enjoying it. This one lady was cracking up on the phone, a dog was running away from it's owner...while the owner was laughing at the situation. A kid had a gnarly wreck on his scooter but landed in some grass/side of a bush so he was good.

It was a weird walk, like I was watching a movie or something. Anyways, It reminded me that going outside is amazing and being out with people is so important for our health. The nice summer weather will naturally get even the most scared people out of their houses. It boosted me up for a couple of days.

Yes, being outside is a huge help. We go out every day for walks. The weather here is supposed to be perfect this weekend. Very much looking forward to it. We are even having a social distanced cocktail party in the alley with neighbors.

sopas ej May 1, 2020 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8909458)
Exploring rock pools? :shrug: :cheers:

Tide pools. Same thing, I guess. I say tide pools, not rock pools, BTW.

Photos by me, taken back in 2014. This is off Point Fermin, San Pedro, Los Angeles.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...92&oe=5ED1AD05

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9f&oe=5ED1A5E6

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=5ED3BC03

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...09&oe=5ED1D0D3

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...fa&oe=5ED231D7

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3e&oe=5ED010FE

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...76&oe=5ED09609

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a5&oe=5ED0575D

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...16&oe=5ED03863

SteveD May 1, 2020 3:30 PM

Thank you! People exploring rock pools!!

sopas ej May 1, 2020 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8909538)
Thank you! People exploring rock pools!!

I love tide pools. My favorite kind of beach. I guess I like sandy beaches too, but I'm not one to just lie in the sand. I like to walk and explore tide pools, and see little sea creatures in the tide pools, and the fractals of nature...

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3a&oe=5ED33605
Photo by me

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a9&oe=5ED34027
Photo by me

homebucket May 1, 2020 4:26 PM

The nice thing about tide pools is you can forage for an entire meal there too. Don't even need to go grocery shopping!

Here's a list of things you can find:
Kelp
Rock fish
Octopus
Eel
Mussel
Limpets
Abalone
Sea Snails
Crabs
Sea urchin (uni)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7883/3...ca8730eb_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/7821/3...4125c74b_b.jpg

hauntedheadnc May 1, 2020 7:35 PM

A new mural with a message about the coronavirus appeared overnight in downtown Asheville:

https://wlos.com/resources/media/023...?1588348445585
Source.

Steely Dan May 1, 2020 10:39 PM

just a reminder here folks,

because questions surrounding the necessity/efficacy of the stay at home orders have become so stupidly fucking politicized (like everything else in our ass-hat society), they will be summarily deleted from this thread.

take that shit to the CE toilet.

montréaliste May 2, 2020 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8909977)
A new mural with a message about the coronavirus appeared overnight in downtown Asheville:

Source.

Love them droplets.

sopas ej May 2, 2020 3:14 AM

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6c&oe=5ED0FDBA

CaliNative May 2, 2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8910424)

This whole covid-19 pandemic/economic crash thing is weirder than any episode of the Twilight Zone, well, almost. One of my fave episodes was one where a lady was very sick with a fever, and she dreamed that the Earth's orbit had brought it closer to the sun, so everything was very hot. In reality a rogue planet had come close to earth, and knocked it to a more distant orbit so everything was very cold and getting colder. The episode was called "Fire or Ice" or something like that. The lady actually had a fever brought on by the intense cold.

CaliNative May 2, 2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8909977)

Source.

"Love is NOT Cancelled". Good name for a bordello. Is Thomas Wolfe still celebrated & read in Asheville? I hope so. A real genius, brought down by wicked TB that infected his brain. He had a lot of novels in him but the TB got him. His contemporary Faulkner considered him potentially the greatest author of his generation if he had lived.

Matthew May 2, 2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8909458)
Georgia, which sort of never shut down, is sort of opening back up again.

I don't really think most of metro Atlanta is, and metro Atlanta is about 60% of the state population and more than 2/3rds of the state economy.

I took advantage to get a haircut last weekend. Lauren and I also visited one of her favorite restaurants on Monday, which had the dining room open. Not everything that can open is open and not all restaurants that are open are opening their dining rooms. You have to check to see what is open. I would say most restaurants are not opening their dining rooms.

So, what was it like? The barber had a mask and the chairs are distanced. All of the customers didn't have a mask. He said that was the busiest day in the history of his shop and he had new customers from the barbers that didn't open. Georgia wasn't closed long enough for me to actually miss a haircut. The dine-in restaurant experience was interesting. Paper menus, closed tables for spacing, no waiting or reservations, they clean the entire seating area when you leave, salt and pepper isn't on the table and is cleaned after use, everyone on staff has masks... but not all are wearing them correctly. I saw an occasional nose above the mask. Not many people appear to be interested in eating inside the restaurant, which may explain why so many restaurants are still pick-up and to-go. Service was better than usual, with fewer tables and fewer customers. The manager was able to visit every table. I have noticed more people wearing masks in grocery stores. It appears as if most store customers are now wearing a mask in suburban Atlanta. I have seen store employees without them, removing it to talk to customers, and just covering their mouth and not their nose.

My Mom works in healthcare and she said she wouldn't eat at a restaurant or even order take-out or delivery. My wife Lauren did want to go out to all of her favorite places, but after talking with my Mom and thinking about it, she isn't as excited to go out to restaurants or any entertainment venues that are allowed to open. Monday was the only day we ate restaurant food this week.

I have noticed a slight increase in traffic, since so much has reopened. However, it's still not as bad as it was pre-COVID-19. Traffic in Atlanta does something locals call "The Accordion," which is exactly what you think. Slow-down, speed-up, slow-down, stop, speed-up, etc.,. The Accordion tried to return on major roads, for the first time since early-March, but it wasn't as bad as it usually is. Traffic doesn't stop or back-up in travel lanes next to turning lanes. Some of the turning lanes need to be lengthened in Metro Atlanta to prevent back-ups.

Omaharocks May 2, 2020 3:02 PM

^ Interesting, I'd heard some restaurants had opened in the suburbs, but where I am in east Atlanta, I'd estimate less than 1 in 100 restaurants have opened up.

That's anecdotal of course, but I've had a lot of time for walks lately, and nothing has opened up that I've seen in the vicinity of Cabbagetown/Reynoldstown. If people were expecting some sort of economic resurgence following a "reopening", it seems unlikely to happen soon.

mrnyc May 3, 2020 1:24 PM

manhattan

weekend w14st pano

literally not a soul in sight

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...psnw16bsia.jpg

Tuckerman May 3, 2020 2:02 PM

Atlanta - traffic jam on the northside perimeter yesterday =totally attributable to the flyover

which was awesome - but have not mossed the traffic

all of our favorite restaurants remain closed or take out only
we have only been outside the neighborhood 3x in past 5 weeks

10023 May 3, 2020 6:52 PM

I got out on a bike today and rode from from Notting Hill to Victoria Park to Canary Wharf and back, with a bit of wandering around the City and Soho/Mayfair enroute. It’s a ghost town and I would say that about 2/3 of people out were cyclists.

A fair number of places are still doing food to go, especially those that are also offering grocery items (and are thus “essential” shops and can remain open), so the bike is a great way of adding some variety to life and getting out of your own neighbourhood.

hauntedheadnc May 3, 2020 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8910546)
"Love is NOT Cancelled". Good name for a bordello. Is Thomas Wolfe still celebrated & read in Asheville? I hope so. A real genius, brought down by wicked TB that infected his brain. He had a lot of novels in him but the TB got him. His contemporary Faulkner considered him potentially the greatest author of his generation if he had lived.

Celebrated, yes. But read? Here, Thomas Wolfe is only read by the same people who read him everywhere else: sullen high school students who only do so resentfully before bitching about the paper they have to write about it.

mrnyc May 3, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8911547)
I got out on a bike today and rode from from Notting Hill to Victoria Park to Canary Wharf and back, with a bit of wandering around the City and Soho/Mayfair enroute. It’s a ghost town and I would say that about 2/3 of people out were cyclists.

A fair number of places are still doing food to go, especially those that are also offering grocery items (and are thus “essential” shops and can remain open), so the bike is a great way of adding some variety to life and getting out of your own neighbourhood.

oh how nice - so we’ll all look forward to your photo thread.

:rolleyes::haha: