SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Riverline | 8 Towers | 600FT - 500FT(X2) - 380FT(X2) - 242FT(X2) - 300FT~ (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221826)

pianowizard Jul 2, 2022 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9663335)
That's pretty disappointing, hopefully there will still be several high-rises overall.

So how tall will the tallest building be?

ithakas Jul 7, 2022 3:30 AM

https://i.imgur.com/UZRQmu7h.jpg

Chi-Sky21 Jul 7, 2022 1:44 PM

I bet that patio used to have fantastic views.

harryc Jul 7, 2022 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 9669829)
I bet that patio used to have fantastic views.

And a large hobo encampment right below it.

BuildThemTaller Jul 7, 2022 4:03 PM

The view will improve as more and more of the West Loop and Fulton Market are developed.

thegoatman Jul 7, 2022 6:03 PM

Any chance of that rail complex across the river getting redeveloped?

Randomguy34 Jul 7, 2022 6:40 PM

In like 20 years, sure. Downtown still has plenty of developable sites before we need to start capping railyards. If One Central can't do it without subsidies, then I doubt the railyards along the river will be developed soon.

BuildThemTaller Jul 7, 2022 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9670116)
In like 20 years, sure. Downtown still has plenty of developable sites before we need to start capping railyards. If One Central can't do it without subsidies, then I doubt the railyards along the river will be developed soon.

Other than the ones that have already been capped, that is.

150 N Riverside says hello.

untitledreality Jul 8, 2022 2:32 PM

Quote:

In like 200 years, sure.

You forgot a zero.

ardecila Jul 8, 2022 3:07 PM

Quote:

Amtrak will eventually move some of their operations from Union Station Yard to Canal St Yard, so this could free up some of the real estate. Not all of it, but maybe enough so that a few tracks can be removed and the river edge landscaped with a walkway.

I'm still hoping the Power House can be stabilized and turned into an art facility as an outpost of MCA or the Art Institute, sorta like PS1 in Queens.

Pioneer Jul 8, 2022 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9670801)
Amtrak will eventually move some of their operations from Union Station Yard to Canal St Yard, so this could free up some of the real estate. Not all of it, but maybe enough so that a few tracks can be removed and the river edge landscaped with a walkway.

I'm still hoping the Power House can be stabilized and turned into an art facility as an outpost of MCA or the Art Institute, sorta like PS1 in Queens.

That's a great idea. A bit like the Tate. Also, need to have a floating balloon pig nearby.

Mr Downtown Jul 9, 2022 3:33 AM

^Well, first you'd have to build a building inside. And then you'd have to enclose that new building with something to keep out the rain and snow. So what do you end up with? A new building that sort of looks like an old building, but isn't very good for the purposes to which it's put.

The Union Station steam plant is not a huge empty hall like Battersea or Fisk power stations. It's a big boiler hung within a purpose-built steel frame, and then enclosed by century-old brickwork that would mostly have to be relaid brick by brick. So if you're building a new frame and hanging a new skin on the outside, what exactly are you preserving?

ithakas Jul 12, 2022 9:19 PM

https://i.imgur.com/EYPMRtoh.jpg
Today

r18tdi Jul 12, 2022 10:33 PM

I was on the lake this weekend and was pleasantly surprised how visible The Reed is, poking up nicely above the South Loop plateau. The top floors should have decent views of the water.

ardecila Jul 13, 2022 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 9671571)
^Well, first you'd have to build a building inside. And then you'd have to enclose that new building with something to keep out the rain and snow. So what do you end up with? A new building that sort of looks like an old building, but isn't very good for the purposes to which it's put.

The Union Station steam plant is not a huge empty hall like Battersea or Fisk power stations. It's a big boiler hung within a purpose-built steel frame, and then enclosed by century-old brickwork that would mostly have to be relaid brick by brick. So if you're building a new frame and hanging a new skin on the outside, what exactly are you preserving?

Maybe I'm not understanding the condition of the building, but I don't see why you can't take apart the boilers with a torch one bit at a time, and leave the steel frame intact. It won't be huge open art galleries, so any work exhibited there would have to be small scale work or site-specific installations working around the steel frame (that's why I brought up PS.1).

rivernorthlurker Jul 13, 2022 3:34 AM

This building proves that you can fix mundane blue boxes by just making them black. I like it. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 9674207)

thegoatman Jul 13, 2022 4:47 PM

that parking garage right on the river is ghastly, but atleast the tower itself looks decent.

left of center Jul 13, 2022 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9674518)
This building proves that you can fix mundane blue boxes by just making them black. I like it. :cheers:

Yeah, no kidding. The black cladding looks great on there. Bumps up the building's visual appeal a couple notches for sure!

cityofblindinglights Jul 17, 2022 2:42 AM

From this morning

https://i.imgur.com/Ah7MkiX.jpeg
A hazy/cloudy day out today down at Ping Tom Park

SolarWind Jul 18, 2022 2:11 AM

The Reed at Southbank - 234 W Polk

July 12, 2022

July 14, 2022