SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How many cities in the US have at least one subway station? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210687)

Xing Apr 10, 2014 6:10 PM

How many cities in the US have at least one subway station?
 
Seriously , I'm curious . Could a top 20 be made? Obviously New York would be on top.

brickell Apr 10, 2014 6:20 PM

Does it have to be underground or are you talking about heavy rail only?

CCs77 Apr 10, 2014 6:30 PM

I guess You mean municipalities. I think most systems runs within a single city or municipality, as New York. But Washington goes by some different municipalities, the same as BART, And I think Atlanta. PATH in NY-NJ runs within four municipalities, I think, and PATCO between Philadelphia and NJ also goes by some different municipalities.

Here is a Wikipedia list where You can find all United States systems and find out the ubication of the stations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

Cirrus Apr 10, 2014 6:48 PM

We can do this. Here are the 50 largest urbanized areas.

Code:

US URBANIZED AREA        SUBWAY STOPS?

New York                Y, multiple lines
Los Angeles                Y, multiple lines
Chicago                        Y, multilpe lines
Miami-Ft Laud.                -
Philadelphia                Y, multiple lines

Dallas                        Y, 1 station
Houston                        -
Washington                Y, multiple lines
Atlanta                        Y, multiple lines
Boston                        Y, multiple lines

Detroit                        -
Phoenix                        -
San Francisco-Oakland        Y, multiple lines
Seattle                        Y, 5 stations
San Diego                Y, 1 station

Minneapolis-St Paul        Y, 1 station
Tampa-St Pete                -
Denver                        -
Baltimore                Y, 1 line
St Louis                Y, 4 stations
       
San Juan                Y, 2 stations
Riverside-San Bern.        -
Las Vegas                -
Portland                Y, 1 station
Cleveland                Y, 2 stations

San Antonio                -
Pittsburgh                Y, 1 line
Sacramento                -
San Jose                -
Cincinnati                Abandoned, 1 line

Kansas City                -
Orlando                        -
Indianpolis                -
Virginia Beach                -
Milwaukee                -

Columbus                -
Austin                        -
Charlotte                -
Providence                -
Jacksonville                -

Memphis                        -
Salt Lake City                -
Louisville                -
Nashville                -
Richmond                -

Buffalo                        Y, 1 line
Hartford                -
Bridgeport-Stamford        -
New Orleans                -
Raleigh                        -


M II A II R II K Apr 10, 2014 6:55 PM

There are probably a few extra ghost stations underground as well.

bnk Apr 10, 2014 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6533799)
I guess You mean municipalities. I think most systems runs within a single city or municipality, as New York. But Washington goes by some different municipalities, the same as BART, And I think Atlanta. PATH in NY-NJ runs within four municipalities, I think, and PATCO between Philadelphia and NJ also goes by some different municipalities.

Here is a Wikipedia list where You can find all United States systems and find out the ubication of the stations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

That list leaves off heavy rail Metra


Metra (reporting mark METX) is the commuter rail division of the Regional Transportation Authority of the Chicago metropolitan area. Metropolitan Rail Corporation or Metra operates 241 stations on 11 different rail lines. Throughout the 21st century, it has been at least the fourth busiest commuter rail system in the United States by ridership. Experiencing a 1.7% decline in ridership from the previous year, Metra trains offered 81.3 million passenger rides in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metra


Which would rank 7th. Or if combined with the L rank second.

emathias Apr 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 6533830)
We can do this. Here are the 50 largest urbanized areas.

[code]
US URBANIZED AREA SUBWAY STOPS?
...

Also, Newark has a subway and there are subway PATH stops in places like Jersey City. I'm not familiar enough with PATH or New Jersey to name any other cities that might have one underground PATH station, though. Also, technically Cambridge is distinct from Boston, so depending on the criteria both that and Somerville could be separately listed, as well as places like Arlington, Virginia and Oakland, California.

In addition to those, Miami, Detroit and Las Vegas each have at least one line of sort of elevated, grade-separated, not-a-bus transportation that might be included if "subway" was used as shorthand for "metro-style service" and not meant to mean literally underground.

dave8721 Apr 10, 2014 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6534030)
Also, Newark has a subway and there are subway PATH stops in places like Jersey City. I'm not familiar enough with PATH or New Jersey to name any other cities that might have one underground PATH station, though. Also, technically Cambridge is distinct from Boston, so depending on the criteria both that and Somerville could be separately listed, as well as places like Arlington, Virginia and Oakland, California.

In addition to those, Miami, Detroit and Las Vegas each have at least one line of sort of elevated, grade-separated, not-a-bus transportation that might be included if "subway" was used as shorthand for "metro-style service" and not meant to mean literally underground.

If you mean "heavy rail" rather than actual underground stops, then Miami's metrorail has stops in Miami, Coral Gables, South Miami, Hialeah and Medley (along with Unincorporated Miami-Dade County).

llamaorama Apr 10, 2014 9:18 PM

Louisiana station on the SE line in Denver feels sort of like a subway station. Part of the platform is beneath an underpass and you go down stairs from a street level plaza. Aside from the fact it's next to a giant freeway that's a really nice little urban corner actually.

I know it doesn't count though. I just felt like posting because when I rode the line I thought it was in fact underground and did not realize it wasn't until I just glanced at Google Maps.

I'm trying to think if any other ambiguous cases exist.

Cirrus Apr 10, 2014 10:02 PM

My list is urbanized areas, not incorporated cities (because incorporated cities are meaningless), and not transit agencies (because some cities have consolidated regional agencies and some don't).

And it's for underground rail stations, regardless of heavy/light/whatever. An underground light rail station counts, but an elevated heavy rail one does not.

Others are of course free to make separate lists using separate methods, if they prefer.

Xing Apr 10, 2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickell (Post 6533783)
Does it have to be underground or are you talking about heavy rail only?

It could be light rail or heavy.

CCs77 Apr 10, 2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 6534022)
That list leaves off heavy rail Metra


Metra (reporting mark METX) is the commuter rail division of the Regional Transportation Authority of the Chicago metropolitan area. Metropolitan Rail Corporation or Metra operates 241 stations on 11 different rail lines. Throughout the 21st century, it has been at least the fourth busiest commuter rail system in the United States by ridership. Experiencing a 1.7% decline in ridership from the previous year, Metra trains offered 81.3 million passenger rides in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metra


Which would rank 7th. Or if combined with the L rank second.


That is because Metra, as that extract forma Wikipedia says, is considered commuter rail. In Chicago, the system considered as urban heavy rail AKA metro (which is a better word that subway since can be either subway, elevated or at ground level)

Here is the list of commuter rail systems in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership

Crawford Apr 10, 2014 11:21 PM

You mean ANY underground rail station in ANY city?

So like Union City, NJ counts, because the light rail stations are underground?

mrnyc Apr 10, 2014 11:34 PM

^ i was just wondering that, if so its going to be the same for seattle too.

fflint Apr 10, 2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6534302)
You mean ANY underground rail station in ANY city?

So like Union City, NJ counts, because the light rail stations are underground?

The OP already answered your question: "It could be light rail or heavy."

CCs77 Apr 10, 2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xing (Post 6534271)
It could be light rail or heavy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 6534302)
You mean ANY underground rail station in ANY city?

So like Union City, NJ counts, because the light rail stations are underground?

Yeah, it is not clear what You really mean.
By subway stations do you mean any rail station, either heavy, light or commuter ubicated on an underground or subterranean level?

And what do you mean by cities, is it municipalities or metropolitan areas?

As crawford said, there is an underground light rail station in Union City that could be considered either on that city, as a separate entity or in metropolitan New York. Also PATH Have some underground and some elevated stations. If You also include commuter rail, then I think that Penn Station could be considered as such, since it is located underground, as millenium station in Chicago is.

Xing Apr 11, 2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 6534328)
Yeah, it is not clear what You really mean.
By subway stations do you mean any rail station, either heavy, light or commuter ubicated on an underground or subterranean level?

And what do you mean by cities, is it municipalities or metropolitan areas?

As crawford said, there is an underground light rail station in Union City that could be considered either on that city, as a separate entity or in metropolitan New York. Also PATH Have some underground and some elevated stations. If You also include commuter rail, then I think that Penn Station could be considered as such, since it is located underground, as millenium station in Chicago is.

Those are all valid questions, as in I wasn't laying out a whole lot of rules to the list.

I simply mean a form of rapid rail transit that is underground and connected within a region. So for instance, you could consider New York's Subway system as one , and Path in New Jersey another. There are always variables that make it perplexing to ponder up a list. So make your own list, with your own rules. This isn't a super serious question.

In my own mind, I would consider St Louis' Metrolink one city's system with 4 subway stations, despite the fact that it goes through various other suburban cities in Illinois and Missouri. It's all run by the same agency.

bobdreamz Apr 11, 2014 3:08 AM

Miami doesn't have any "Underground" stations at all.

CCs77 Apr 11, 2014 3:07 PM

The systems with at least one station underground would be, as far as I know


-New York Area
Subway
PATH
Hudson Bergen Light Rail
-Chicago Area
El
Metra commuter
-Philadelphia area
Subway
PATCO
-San Francisco area
BART
Muni Metro
-Boston
-Los Angeles
-Washington
-Atlanta
-Baltimore
-Pittsburgh
-Cleveland
-Saint Louis
-Minneapolis
-Seattle
-Portland
-Dallas

I could have some left.

To calculate how many stations in each system are underground could be pretty difficult (good luck with New York) in other cases just one or two stations are underground.

ColDayMan Apr 11, 2014 8:14 PM

Cincinnati has four subway stations that are currently being used by Casper, Slimer, and George Burns.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.