SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Sep 1, 2022 5:19 PM

TSMC causing a massive influx of residential development...including over 1100 units at the northernmost portion of Phoenix.

Quote:

The northernmost point in Phoenix, a vacant stretch of desert, could soon become a housing community

Corina Vanek
Arizona Republic

A vacant stretch of desert on the east side of Interstate 17 just past Anthem is the northernmost point in Phoenix, and it's about to be developed.

Bela Flor, a Mesa-based developer, wants to turn the 114 acres north of Circle Mountain Road into apartments, single-family house rentals, townhomes and for-sale houses as employment growth in north Phoenix drives demand for more housing. In total, 1,116 units are planned.

In sprawling Phoenix, the property is about 30 miles from downtown — but near Loop 303 and the 17, where Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. is opening a massive chip manufacturing plant in 2024.

The plant has spurred other development from restaurants and residential to supporting industries. Gov. Doug Ducey landed in Taiwan on Tuesday to promote Arizona's growing semiconductor industry.

“TSMC became a significant game-changer,” said Adam Baugh, a zoning attorney representing the developer. “Now there is a clear need for housing, and you can plan a master-planned community, with all types of housing, from rentals to for-sale."

Massive chip plant a main driver
Since TSMC’s purchase of more than 1,100 acres, several other semiconductor industry companies have begun establishing a presence in Phoenix and surrounding cities.

TSMC’s location was the driving factor for Bela Flor, Karl Huish, managing director of the company, said. The company bought the land about eight months ago for $24.3 million, according to real estate database Vizzda.

The land has long been zoned for commercial uses, but has very little accessibility, said Baugh, with Withey Morris law firm in Phoenix. Despite the site's freeway frontage, the nearest freeway access is Anthem Way, about two miles away. With limited access, developers did not have interest in the site, Baugh said.

"But for TSMC coming, it would have stayed vacant," he said.

The site is north of Anthem which is an unincorporated master-planned community in Maricopa County. While most of Bela Flor's land is within the city of Phoenix, the rezoning case for the site includes annexing a couple small portions into the city.

An aerial site plan shows the four phases of development Bela Flor has planned for a 114-acre site near I-17 and Circle Mountain Road.
The developer will need to run water and sewer lines beneath the freeway to bring water and utility services to the site..

To justify that expense, Baugh said a developer had to be sure there was demand for whatever would be built. While the demand never worked for commercial, the influx of jobs from TSMC will bring demand for all types of housing to the area.

Variety of housing options needed
“We know there is a shortage of homes in all demographics,” Huish said. “The starter home market has really vanished, when you see the home price increase, incomes have not kept pace. We’ve priced out so much of the market, it’s terribly sad really.”

Huish said by offering a variety of housing types and both for-sale and for-rent options, the development can cater to a wide range of people, with the goal of attracting people who work at or alongside TSMC. The average salary of a worker at TSMC is expected to be about $83,350, according to city data.

The first phase is planned on the southernmost portion of the site and would include 311 single-family rental homes. Each of the rentals would come with a single-car garage, some that are attached to the unit and others that are detached but nearby.

The development is expected to have four phases, which will each be individually gated, but residents would have access to a pedestrian path that connects all four phases, Huish said. The site also has three natural washes that would remain.

“We tried to just maintain nature and let nature keep its course,” Huish said. “We are trying to thoughtfully build around what nature has given us.”

The proposed development will go before Phoenix's planning commission and City Council this fall, Baugh said, and if it receives the necessary approvals, construction will start as soon as possible.

Since TSMC bought its land in north Phoenix, development and land purchases have kicked into high gear with companies jockeying for space near the facility.

New projects coming in at 'warp speed'
“This feels like warp speed,” Baugh said. “In two years, it has propelled so much demand in the area.”

As housing projects go up, demand for other buildings, like shopping, restaurants and entertainment will soon follow, he said.

South of Bela Flor's property, developer Trammell Crow Co. recently received approval to develop a 306-unit apartment complex at I-17 and Anthem Way, called Alexan Anthem. The project will feature mostly one-bedroom units, according to Vizzda.

East of I-17 near North Valley Parkway and Sonoran Desert Drive, Scottsdale-based Empire Group has plans for two different single-family rental developments that will total about 600 new units. Also near North Valley Parkway and Sonoran Desert Drive, Liv Communities submitted an application to the city to rezone 13 acres of land to develop a 343-unit apartment complex.

South of Empire’s projects, single-family home developer Ashton Woods bought land to build 224 lots near 19th Avenue and Jomax Road in late July, according to Vizzda.

On 19th Avenue and Rose Garden Lane, Mack Real Estate Group submitted plans to redevelop a site that currently includes a vacant office building and parking lot to instead be single-family rentals, including detached and attached units on 22 acres of land. According to documents submitted to Phoenix, the developer is planning 438 rental units on the site.

On the west side of I-17, near 27th Avenue and Pinnacle Peak, the City Council recently OK'd development of Pinnacle Peak Crossings, a 294-unit apartment complex, according to Vizzda. North of that site, on 31st Avenue and Dynamite Boulevard, a vacant 6-acre site is proposed to be developed into 19 single-family homes.
Source: AZ Central (https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix/7944874001/)

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...pjpg&auto=webp
Bela Flor near I-17 and Circle Mountain Rd.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...pjpg&auto=webp
Empire Group's Bronco Trail development, East of I-17 near North Valley Parkway and Sonoran Desert Drive

CrestedSaguaro Sep 1, 2022 5:28 PM

For some reason, Google does not show the proposed Bela Flora location as part of Phoenix. Did this get annexed recently? I don't see any annexation records for the area.

NM. Found the annexation data on the gis.maricopa.gov website. Appears Phoenix does have the parcel within city boundaries. Google needs to update their boundary maps ;)

xymox Sep 1, 2022 6:30 PM

There have been a few proposals for that land in the past 5 years or so. Each time there is overwhelming opposition from residents of Anthem - and the developer backs down. The main point that no one has been able to resolve is access to that land for the number of homes/residents planned. Yes, its along I-17 - but also there's a mountain that constrains it and makes it long and narrow limiting options for arterials large enough to handle traffic flows. I suspect it'll ultimately be passed now because of TSMC - hopefully it doesn't become a giant nightmare for people up there.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 1, 2022 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9718831)
There have been a few proposals for that land in the past 5 years or so. Each time there is overwhelming opposition from residents of Anthem - and the developer backs down. The main point that no one has been able to resolve is access to that land for the number of homes/residents planned. Yes, its along I-17 - but also there's a mountain that constrains it and makes it long and narrow limiting options for arterials large enough to handle traffic flows. I suspect it'll ultimately be passed now because of TSMC - hopefully it doesn't become a giant nightmare for people up there.

Previous proposals have been mostly commercial use. They shouldn't have any problem getting single family homes built.

exit2lef Sep 1, 2022 7:43 PM

Phoenix's general plan has called for the annexation of Anthem. It doesn't surprise me that the community is effectively being surrounded by Phoenix. That prevents annexation by another city and makes it less likely Anthem will puruse its own incorporation. I don't think most Anthem residents necessarily want to live within Phoenix city limits, but they probably will eventually.

PHX31 Sep 1, 2022 7:48 PM

With the Super Bowl and all of the ancillary festivities coming in February 2023 (just 5 months!), what does everyone think the construction status will be for all of the downtown buildings? For discussion sake.

How many cranes do you think there will be downtown, and about how many floors will the U/C buildings at?

Seems like there will be a decent amount of cranes and U/C buildings (the higher at the Super Bowl time the better) as a "showcase".

Long ago I was hoping Astra could be making a dent in the skyline by the Super Bowl, but that ain't happening. Hopefully Central Station will finally be rising above ground level at that point.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 1, 2022 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9718927)
With the Super Bowl and all of the ancillary festivities coming in February 2023 (just 5 months!), what does everyone think the construction status will be for all of the downtown buildings? For discussion sake.

How many cranes do you think there will be downtown, and about how many floors will the U/C buildings at?

Seems like there will be a decent amount of cranes and U/C buildings (the higher at the Super Bowl time the better) as a "showcase".

Long ago I was hoping Astra could be making a dent in the skyline by the Super Bowl, but that ain't happening. Hopefully Central Station will finally be rising above ground level at that point.

This is my guestimate

Central Station - 2 Cranes, 5-7 floors
Moon Tower - Mostly completed, crane removed
Sky on 6th - Mostly completed, crane removed
First McKinley/Saiya - 12 floors, 1 crane
Palm Tower - Topped out, crane still in place
X Phase 2 - 12-14 floors, 1 crane
X Roosevelt - Broken ground, maybe a couple floors, 1 crane
601 N. Central - Broken ground, 1 or 2 cranes (not sure since it's a block-sized development)

Total of 7-8 cranes (not counting a couple mid-rise residential projects that could be going up).

ASU Diablo Sep 1, 2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9719072)
This is my guestimate

601 N. Central - Broken ground, 1 or 2 cranes (not sure since it's a block-sized development)

Total of 7-8 cranes (not counting a couple mid-rise residential projects that could be going up).

Wow no love for Astra? Project has been quiet...

MMDelon Sep 2, 2022 12:47 AM

I think Astra starts after the Super Bowl. Having X Phoenix 2, Central Station (two cranes), McKinley, and X Roosevelt all pretty close together and then Astra with two more cranes is a lot of activity on central Ave and 1st Ave. It would be really dope to see 7 cranes lined up though.

az_daniel Sep 2, 2022 4:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9718868)
Previous proposals have been mostly commercial use. They shouldn't have any problem getting single family homes built.

You would think, but they have been fighting the new single family homes east of the freeway too. There will definitley be a lot of opposition.

Mr.RE Sep 2, 2022 4:07 PM

Astra

I found this link to a website that tracks various projects and when they take bids for construction. Says last updated end of March and a source I have indicated a Q3 or Q4 2022 groundbreaking. I don't have an account to see more detailed information.

https://www.constructionjournal.com/...1f34915ad.html

PHX31 Sep 2, 2022 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9719072)
This is my guestimate

Good guesses, and that would look nice. I would think Central Station will be at about 2 or 3 floors. Saiya and X Phase 2 will be in the range of 8 floors. I hope the last 2 will have broken ground, possibly even Astra.

Is the majority of the light rail construction downtown supposed to be complete? At least the torn up streets put back together?

CrestedSaguaro Sep 2, 2022 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9719845)
Is the majority of the light rail construction downtown supposed to be complete? At least the torn up streets put back together?

Last I seen over the weekend, it looks like they are at about 75% complete with all the light rail track and stations in downtown. I would guess that it would be a priority to have it all completed before the SB or it would be a massive mess trying to move thousands of people around for SB events scheduled in DT.

plinko Sep 2, 2022 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9718741)
TSMC causing a massive influx of residential development...including over 1100 units at the northernmost portion of Phoenix.

This is a prime demonstration of why I left the Valley in 2002. I was tired of participating in this type of thing for work. Can't wait until there needs to be a Loop 404 connecting Tonopah, Wittman, New River, Rio Verde, and Gold Canyon.

Everywhere sprawls, I get it. Not everybody works downtown, I get it. But it's a fucking tragedy how much virgin desert has been eaten up, especially in the last 30 years.

Obadno Sep 2, 2022 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 9719981)
This is a prime demonstration of why I left the Valley in 2002. I was tired of participating in this type of thing for work. Can't wait until there needs to be a Loop 404 connecting Tonopah, Wittman, New River, Rio Verde, and Gold Canyon.

Everywhere sprawls, I get it. Not everybody works downtown, I get it. But it's a fucking tragedy how much virgin desert has been eaten up, especially in the last 30 years.

"Virgin desert "

the vast majority of phoenix is built on former farmland. and why is desert any more precious than the landscapes of the ENTIRE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY that was bulldozed over 100 years ago? Oh thats right, that was fine because you weren't around for it. Keep your NIMBY nonsense to yourself.

This land has been planned for urban sprawl for 30+ years and I promise you Arizona is not at risk of running out of desert anytime soon.

exit2lef Sep 2, 2022 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9719992)
the vast majority of phoenix is built on former farmland

That statement is true for most development in the southeastern part of the metro area. New houses and data centers in places like Mesa, Queen Creek, and Gilbert have typically replaced farms. It's not true for the far northern reaches of Phoenix, which for the most part has not been developed in any way prior to being scraped for development like TMSC.

plinko Sep 2, 2022 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9719992)
"Virgin desert "

the vast majority of phoenix is built on former farmland. and why is desert any more precious than the landscapes of the ENTIRE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY that was bulldozed over 100 years ago? Oh thats right, that was fine because you weren't around for it. Keep your NIMBY nonsense to yourself.

This land has been planned for urban sprawl for 30+ years and I promise you Arizona is not at risk of running out of desert anytime soon.

Uh, you think I don't know that? I lived in the Valley on and off from 1977 through 2002. I know a lot about the city, its history, and its iterations.

Because every other city has done the same, why should Phoenix try and do anything differently?

I love the Valley, but don't try and tell me that anything north of the CAP canal was farmland, or that places like Anthem, Vistancia, Estrella Mountain Ranch, and whatever all that shite out towards Florence on Hunt Highway is should actually exist. If ever there was a metro that needed (too late now) a growth boundary, the Valley was it.

The Sonoran Desert environment is substantially more fragile than most city locations in this country. It's also one of the most unique. Why be content and cheerlead the continued ruination of it in the name of population growth? The economics can be worked around in a better living environment than the continued blading of what you seem to consider wasteland.

But hey, enjoy your next trip to Fry's on Lake Pleasant Parkway from whatever forgettable subdivision you live in. Hope you don't get stuck in traffic.

PHX31 Sep 2, 2022 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 9720067)
Uh, you think I don't know that? I lived in the Valley on and off from 1977 through 2002. I know a lot about the city, its history, and its iterations.

Because every other city has done the same, why should Phoenix try and do anything differently?

I love the Valley, but don't try and tell me that anything north of the CAP canal was farmland, or that places like Anthem, Vistancia, Estrella Mountain Ranch, and whatever all that shite out towards Florence on Hunt Highway is should actually exist. If ever there was a metro that needed (too late now) a growth boundary, the Valley was it.

The Sonoran Desert environment is substantially more fragile than most city locations in this country. It's also one of the most unique. Why be content and cheerlead the continued ruination of it in the name of population growth? The economics can be worked around in a better living environment than the continued blading of what you seem to consider wasteland.

But hey, enjoy your next trip to Fry's on Lake Pleasant Parkway from whatever forgettable subdivision you live in. Hope you don't get stuck in traffic.

Go here and click on the 1953 aerial... https://gis.maricopa.gov/GIO/Histori...ial/index.html

There was agriculture all the way up to Happy Valley Road.

However, it really does suck to see virgin desert get bladed. Those areas you mentioned are sad to see built up, the desert really is amazing. But rather than a growth boundary, i just wish so many people didn't want to live here.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 2, 2022 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9720120)
Go here and click on the 1953 aerial... https://gis.maricopa.gov/GIO/Histori...ial/index.html

There was agriculture all the way up to Happy Valley Road.

However, it really does suck to see virgin desert get bladed. Those areas you mentioned are sad to see built up, the desert really is amazing. But rather than a growth boundary, i just wish so many people didn't want to live here.

Plinko mentioned north of CAP canal which is north of Happy Valley. There wasn't any agriculture north of there of CAP.

PHX31 Sep 2, 2022 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9720214)
Plinko mentioned north of CAP canal which is north of Happy Valley. There wasn't any agriculture north of there of CAP.

Oh, my bad, I had in my mind he meant the canal that meanders through central Phoenix in the vicinity of Indian School/Camelback. I guess that's an SRP canal. You can see why I was surprised by Plinko's comment (when I mixed up the canals).