SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Oct 26, 2017 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7955659)

THE LIST:

High rise
Block 23- 17 story apartments under construction
Block 23- 9 story office under construction
the Link - 29 story apartment UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Central Park East- 17 stories apartments and 11 story hotel under construction
The Stuart- 21 story apartment under construction

Derby- 21 story apartment - construction on hold for litigation

The link - 25 story apartment proposed
The link 20 story apartment proposed
Barrister- 32 story apartment proposed
Residences at Collier - 25 story proposed
Arizona Center- ~30 story Condos planning

BMO 2nd tower- 22 stories Rumored

Central station- ~30 stories A man can dream!

Low Rise
Broadstone Roosevelt- Under Construction
Hance Park Apartments and Office- Under construction
Small project next to Broadstone - under Construction
Ally's on roosevelt (I cant remember the name) Under Construction
Grow House 2.0 - Under Construction
Central and Willeta- under Construction
Arizona Center Remodel - Under construction

The Filmore - Planned
The Church- Planned
Native Connections - Planned
Roosevelt and 3rd ave- Planned
McKinley Row- Planned
ASU Biomed Phase 1- Planned
Enhance Phase 2- Planned
Enhance Phase 3 Planned
McKinley and First ave project ( with Grocery) - Planned
Hance Park Update- Planned
Parking Structure 1st street and Jefferson- Planned

Early stages
Spaghetti Factory lot
RFP for Central & Adams
Light Rail Capitol Mall and South Central Extensions

Probably dead
Ballpark Apartments =(

Downtown is going to be completely different in 3 years. Although You can safely say that every 3 years.

From a few pages back

ASU Diablo Oct 26, 2017 5:10 PM

great list!

CPE residential tower will be 20 stories :)

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...xt-to-new.html

gymratmanaz Oct 26, 2017 5:12 PM

Thanks Obadno!!!!!

LocoPhoenician Oct 26, 2017 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 7965902)
I think I may have seen someone post a culmination of projects, but do we have a list anywhere of projects and start dates?

y30 ish Plus 30 (and 25 and 20) for the link
32 for Barrister
20 for Stewart
20 for Derby
17 for Central park east
17 for block 23
potentially ~20-25 for Colliers.

I work at Colliers Center is it confirmed that there is a 25 floor apartment building going on the vacant pad?

Obadno Oct 26, 2017 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician (Post 7966080)
I work at Colliers Center is it confirmed that there is a 25 floor apartment building going on the vacant pad?

The current height permit would put it about 20-25 depending on the floor heights

muertecaza Oct 26, 2017 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician (Post 7966080)

And the only indication we have is a very very preliminary plan review document filed with the City. Definitely nothing confirmed yet.

Obadno Oct 26, 2017 8:23 PM

Warehouse district housing?

So from the Thrillist:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...ef=twitter-869

Quote:

Plans to house them are in the works, including a three-city block project with 275 residential units and the forthcoming Studio Lofts, an all-brick structure with 31 loft spaces. A 21,000-square-foot building purchased this summer is rumored to be the area’s first entertainment development.
I don't even want to get into the errors in that sentence but what 3 city block project with 300 apartment units and 2 loft projects in the warehouse district are they talking about?

Side note: I know the warehouse district is being pushed and pushed as the next big thing but its so shitty, and the stadiums/court/tracks really horrendously split it from downtown where the real magic is currently happening. Plus it borders one of the sketchiest ghettos in the state. I just don't get it.

muertecaza Oct 26, 2017 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7966313)
So from the Thrillist:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...ef=twitter-869

I don't even want to get into the errors in that sentence but what 3 city block project with 300 apartment units and 2 loft projects in the warehouse district are they talking about?

Side note: I know the warehouse district is being pushed and pushed as the next big thing but its so shitty, and the stadiums/court/tracks really horrendously split it from downtown where the real magic is currently happening. Plus it borders one of the sketchiest ghettos in the state. I just don't get it.

I assume the 275 (I thought it was 276 but :shrug:) is Ballpark lofts, but not sure where they got 3 city blocks.

FitnessPower Oct 26, 2017 8:42 PM

So I’m sure most of us has seen the FAA height restriction map, but I was wondering if anyone knows the maximum height limit along central in the area’s north of Filmore and south of the I-10?

CrestedSaguaro Oct 26, 2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitnessPower (Post 7966363)
So I’m sure most of us has seen the FAA height restriction map, but I was wondering if anyone knows the maximum height limit along central in the area’s north of Filmore and south of the I-10?

The zoning map I've seen stops right at Fillmore. I've never seen any zoning maps that go farther North than that. But according to the current zoning map, it looks like a tower right at Fillmore and Central could go up to about 550'?

Here's the zoning map for reference, so we all don't have to dig for it:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2vwuy4w.jpg

FitnessPower Oct 26, 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7966490)
The zoning map I've seen stops right at Fillmore. I've never seen any zoning maps that go farther North than that. But according to the current zoning map, it looks like a tower right at Fillmore and Central could go up to about 550'?

Here's the zoning map for reference, so we all don't have to dig for it:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2vwuy4w.jpg

I wonder if that means anything north of filmore is out of any flight paths and could potentially get approved for a 650’+ highrise?

combusean Oct 27, 2017 1:37 AM

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/defau...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

It's still about a 500' limit at Central and Fillmore.

LocoPhoenician Oct 27, 2017 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 7966271)
And the only indication we have is a very very preliminary plan review document filed with the City. Definitely nothing confirmed yet.

It would be awesome to see that pad finally developed. Plus all the prep work is done they can pretty much build. I can't wait two see if something happens.

Obadno Oct 27, 2017 8:38 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-business.html

Anyone have access that can post the contents here?

dtnphx Oct 27, 2017 10:16 PM

My View: Downtown Phoenix heating up with business

By Jay Ramos – Contributing Writer

It’s been said that Phoenix never had a proper downtown. That’s not exactly true, but one thing is certain: Phoenix’s central business district in the next 10 years will be densely developed, walkable, and teeming with millennials and techies.

Phoenix is experiencing its biggest downtown building boom in decades. Thousands of apartments have been planned or built, with no slowdown in sight. This includes a $100 million apartment tower planned for the Arizona Center which, at 31 stories, will be among the tallest buildings in the state. The Arizona Center itself is undergoing a $25 million makeover to cement its standing as Phoenix’s downtown entertainment destination and to open the introverted space to the surrounding streets and neighborhood.

Arizona State University also has played a major role in the downtown’s transformation. ASU reported their Fall 2016 enrollment for the Downtown Campus at 11,737 students. To put this into perspective, that is only 5,243 less students than Stanford University and larger than Princeton University and Dartmouth College combined, according to data compiled by Univstats.

A number of new buildings completed in the past two decades have been subsidized with help from the Government Property Lease Excise Tax, or GPLET, a type of tax break for developers whereby Arizona cities take land titles from developers and lease them back so the developers pay a lease excise tax rather than property taxes for a certain period. In areas such as downtown Phoenix that officially are designated as blighted, developers pay nothing for the first eight years. This incentive is one reason downtown Phoenix has fewer empty lots and unused buildings, but it has been criticized as an unfair advantage and its application has led to a lawsuit against the city.

Besides commercial development, Phoenix is piecing together “real city” bona fides, including its expanded light rail system, paid for in part by a voter-approved sales tax increase, and a bike-sharing program. Phoenix enacted its Walkable Urban Code two years ago to foster livelier downtown streets and mixed-used development. Perhaps the surest sign that downtown Phoenix has arrived is the upcoming arrival of its first grocery store.

Because of its desert location and climbing temperatures, Phoenix has been called the world’s least-sustainable city and climatologists worry about its future habitability. The city’s urban forest is shrinking, and its urban heat island is becoming a health hazard. Besides safety and sustainability, the problem with the unrelenting heat is that it keeps people indoors, giving Phoenix the appearance of a ghost town.

Downtown boosters urge city leaders and developers to make their vision of a walkable city feasible. That’s no easy feat, as the New York Times points out that doing any outdoor activity in Phoenix in summertime is “borderline heroic.” But the city has a Tree and Shade Master Plan and its Walkable Urban Code requires developers’ designs include features such as trees and shade structures for pedestrian comfort.

Downtown advocates say developers must be part of the solution and that the city should hold them accountable. It has been recommended, for example, that commercial properties be inspected to make sure they have the number of trees outlined in their city-approved site plans. It’s imperative that efforts to transform downtown Phoenix into a vibrant city be sustainable. When shortsighted concessions are given to developers, a city’s very survival could be at stake.

poconoboy61 Oct 28, 2017 12:00 AM

Rezoning hearing scheduled to go before City Council in early January for the vacant lot on the NE corner of Central and Columbus (just north of Osborn) to multi family and commercial. The on site notice also states that the hearing includes a request to raise the current maximum dwelling units from 386 to the “TOD maximum.” I can’t find a link to the project proposal on the city’s website yet. According to aerial photography from the County, there hasn’t been a structure on this site since at least the early 1970s.

combusean Oct 28, 2017 5:13 AM

In a solid break from my usual misanthropy, I realized tonight that between phases of en Hance Park from Chile's Sencorp and The Link from Mitsubishi, Phoenix is now beginning to attract international developers with deep experience in delivering dense, high-quality urban projects.

Nothing like this has really happened before. This is perhaps one of the best signs on a long highway that Phoenix, if not arriving outright, is at least providing warm waters for toes to dip in.

Happy Halloween everyone.

:cheers:

exit2lef Oct 28, 2017 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7968139)
In a solid break from my usual misanthropy, I realized tonight that between phases of en Hance Park from Chile's Sencorp and The Link from Mitsubishi, Phoenix is now beginning to attract international developers with deep experience in delivering dense, high-quality urban projects.

Nothing like this has really happened before. This is perhaps one of the best signs on a long highway that Phoenix, if not arriving outright, is at least providing warm waters for toes to dip in.

Happy Halloween everyone.

:cheers:

The international angle is interesting. There has already been some protectionist rhetoric in Phoenix about "out-of-state investors" and "out-of-state developers." It will be interesting to see if anyone complains about foreign capital.

combusean Oct 28, 2017 11:21 PM

The biggest complaints I've heard from out of state developers is that their projects don't respect the neighborhood, they just entitle and flip, they come in and leave, or they just never build.

This doesn't seem to be the case with some of these newer projects.

biggus diggus Oct 28, 2017 11:37 PM

If there's money to be made someone will show up to make it, people should be happy that anyone is investing here. It's been a long time since Phoenix had a downtown building boom.