SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Jjs5056 Jul 9, 2014 11:31 PM

Good to see it staying in city limits, but I'm sick of 'sustainability' being thrown around as a company value when describing developments at places like CityNorth and DesertRidge. This will, in theory, suck potential residential and retail development to CityNorth along with these jobs.

With the future development of Central Station, plenty of space will be opening in the small midrise on 1st ave/Van Buren where MTA is housed currently. A Sprouts HQ there, with a flagship market the bottom, and the lot between it and the YMCA used for a weekly local farmer's/public market on weekends would've been fantastic. Central location for a grocer, and lord knows VB could use the boost with the empty retail surrounding the area.

Turpentyne - nothing suggests there were any changes; per the latest meeting notes, the council felt the development met the goals of Urban Form despite the needed variances. I guess back of house fronting major streets (2nd), inward facing plazas vs. streets (1st), midrise development in the core with no potential for expansion on top.. all 'fit the goals' of the city. Really wish they'd left the west half of the Ramada and built this in a mixed use tower adjoining it.

PHX31 Jul 10, 2014 5:35 PM

New article related to WebPT's hiring of 150 new employees and moving into a new (to be restored) huge warehouse in the warehouse district on Grant, near ASU's art school. I think it will bring them to 400 employees. This was mentioned before, but still is awesome news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...n&t=1404946233

That stretch of Grant will be really on the upswing and should see more investment. If only the city didn't tear down a bunch of other warehouses south of the ballpark.

turpentyne Jul 10, 2014 9:24 PM

unfortunately, 2nd is already stunk up with back-of-house trash from the Sheraton. I have to pass through the cloud of stink between my parking garage and office.

Once this is done, I'll have to wear a gas mask, I guess! ;)

Jjs5056 Jul 11, 2014 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6649244)
New article related to WebPT's hiring of 150 new employees and moving into a new (to be restored) huge warehouse in the warehouse district on Grant, near ASU's art school. I think it will bring them to 400 employees. This was mentioned before, but still is awesome news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...n&t=1404946233

That stretch of Grant will be really on the upswing and should see more investment. If only the city didn't tear down a bunch of other warehouses south of the ballpark.

They mentioned a lot more detail in that article regarding the renovations of the new building. I'm really happy to hear that they're incorporating a restaurant and other public spaces. Great businesses moving to the area is, well, great, but that's already happening and creates little more than a southern business district. Bringing foot traffic in on top of the 400 employees is going to definitely impact neighboring businesses - Ultimate Consignment is an awesome store across the street and don't forget Bentley Galleries is right there on Grant and 3rd.

I don't know how much of an impact ASU will have yet; I don't quite understand their full plans. Are all of those programs going into the Levine Machine building? Or, might they need to look nearby for extra space? That's the only way I can see them having an impact, given the lack of amenities in the area and the fact that they haven't mentioned public galleries or anything; I'd imagine most students will get right into 7th and head home.

MegaBass Jul 12, 2014 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6650270)

I don't know how much of an impact ASU will have yet; I don't quite understand their full plans. Are all of those programs going into the Levine Machine building? Or, might they need to look nearby for extra space? That's the only way I can see them having an impact, given the lack of amenities in the area and the fact that they haven't mentioned public galleries or anything; I'd imagine most students will get right into 7th and head home.

Per Downtown Phoenix Journal

Quote:

The first phase moves ASU’s painting and drawing graduate programs and studios, together with a critique space and the Step Gallery. The second phase, due to be completed in May, adds the programs for fibers, sculpture, and intermedia. “What’s particularly unusual and interesting about that space as it will be configured,” says Herberger Institute communications and media staffer Deborah Sussman Susser, “is…MFA students in their studios making work, then being able to immediately display it in a gallery setting.”

Students will work in fifteen studios, each sized expansively at 250 square feet. Other areas are designated for a computer lab, project space, a wash-out sink, a flame cabinet, storage for chemicals, and “a little nest for…faculty,” says Jenik.

[At the end of both phases, the School of Art graduate programs, studios and gallery will occupy 26,232 total square feet of space. (ASU News)]

The move was spurred in part by ASU’s plans for the Art Annex, the historic building currently housing the Painting and Drawing programs on College Avenue in Tempe, but another impetus was the pending massive development taking over the southeast corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive. Both catalysts led to a compressed timeline: preparation for the warehouse move spans only 11 months from its inception last spring to its opening event on January 17. Concurrently, the Ceramics Research Center is moving north on Mill Ave. into the former Borders bookstore in downtown Tempe.

“A common practice in grad programs that’s really nice is that usually once a term or at least once a year they have an open studio…and donors, collectors, the public, other artists…can come through,” Jenik adds. “So maybe we’ll do that with Art Detour but also we might just have our own…we’ll tour the space.”

“One of the great things about having the open studio tours is then they can be part of First and Third Friday,” says Sussman Susser, “and there can be advantages for both…the whole arts community that’s thriving down there…and for the students.”

Undergraduate classes and some graduate studios will remain on ASU’s Tempe campus. “Other art programs…have done this same thing,” says Jenik, “outgrown their facilities and had a satellite facility specifically for grad students.” She continues, “There’s a history of it actually working out well…not just for the program but also fostering activity in the area…so that’s what we’re hoping for downtown Phoenix.”

Phxguy Jul 18, 2014 6:26 AM

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...w-city-church/

Good news, Newcity Church bought that low-rise building across from the library, just south of Pizza People and plans on redesigning the place.

nickw252 Jul 18, 2014 3:50 PM

Hotel Monroe

Finally seeing some permitting action. This was issued Jul 1, 2014:

Quote:

Plan # PAPP 1402565
Plan Description MONROE HILTON GARDEN INN
Project 07-3712 HOTEL MONROE

Description/Scope of Work:
Owner Information
Address
PRE-APPLICATION SCREEN
Contractor Information
Name
TEAM LEADER:J. BLAKLEY
PLANNER:M. VICTOR
TRAFFIC ENG. FANCON
CIVIL ENG:S. BAHRAINI
PROJECT DESCRIPTION:CONVERT HISTORIC BUILDING TO HOTEL WITH 1ST FLOOR RETAIL
DRAINAGE REPORT:
GRADING & DRAINAGE:
PAVING:
CONCRETE:
WATER MAIN EXTENSION:
SEWER MAIN EXTENSION:
PLAT:
ABANDONMENT:
DEDICATION:
TRAFFIC STUDY:
SITE PLAN FEE:$1200.00

nickw252 Jul 18, 2014 3:54 PM

Portland Place 2

Also seeing permitting action for Portland Place 2. A number of permits were posted on July 10 and July 14, 2014. The important information is as follows:

Quote:

Plan # FLSR 14003 Issued 17-JUL-2014 Expires
Plan Description PORTLAND PLACE 2
Project 04-2178 PORTLAND PLACE

NEW SHELL AND CORE CONSTRUCTION OF 14 STORY 170 RESIDENTIAL CONDOMINUMS, RETAIL AND 6 STORY
INTERNAL PARKING GARAGE.

With the Luhrs Hotel it looks like we may see a few tower cranes in downtown Phoenix real soon.

Jackdavis4 Jul 18, 2014 4:56 PM

Any news on the Luhrs Center 19-story Marriot? Or just Hotel Monroe?

PHX31 Jul 18, 2014 5:26 PM

/\ Check the Luhrs thread.

HooverDam Jul 18, 2014 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackdavis4 (Post 6660205)
Or just Hotel Monroe?

I walk by it every day, nothing seems to be happening, I never see anyone go in or out. No way itll be done by the Super Bowl like they said/hoped.

Jjs5056 Jul 19, 2014 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6659741)
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...w-city-church/

Good news, Newcity Church bought that low-rise building across from the library, just south of Pizza People and plans on redesigning the place.

The exterior design isn't too offensive; new doors/windows and signage sounds okay to me - I hope they don't mess with the brick. I guess a Church brings more action than your typical office... but, subdividing the space would've been ideal than a single tenant taking 17,000+ square feet of space that has Central Ave frontage.

AFAIK, Vintage Industrial is still looking for a permanent place and would've made a great tenant. Warehousing in the back with a showroom in the front/open view of manufacturing would've been a fun/unique addition to the area, but it had been mentioned that the space was leased already. :shrug:

Quote:

I walk by it every day, nothing seems to be happening, I never see anyone go in or out. No way itll be done by the Super Bowl like they said/hoped.
I posted my thoughts in the General thread re: this.

Should the Hotel Monroe thread be updated with the new project details and permitting/a new thread be started?

turpentyne Jul 21, 2014 9:33 PM

Seven bids received to redevelop Barrister Place:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...op-psycho.html

phoenixwillrise Jul 21, 2014 10:27 PM

Barrister

Quote:

Originally Posted by turpentyne (Post 6663480)
Seven bids received to redevelop Barrister Place:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...op-psycho.html

Wasn't this the place some California Insurance company was suppose to take utilizing the entire building for some internet records thing and in addition they were suppose to build a 1 million square foot building for the same purpose near 16th and Buckeye. If I am correct on this info they talked a hell of a fight but where the hell are they?

nickw252 Jul 21, 2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 6663550)
Wasn't this the place some California Insurance company was suppose to take utilizing the entire building for some internet records thing and in addition they were suppose to build a 1 million square foot building for the same purpose near 16th and Buckeye. If I am correct on this info they talked a hell of a fight but where the hell are they?

I remember those plans from about a year and a half ago. It was a CA company that processes electronic medical records. I don't rememeber any updates.

combusean Jul 22, 2014 12:01 AM

Here's the article for the failed Barrister Place renovation:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...a-project.html

Lots of hype, not one bit of action as it turned out.

Jjs5056 Jul 22, 2014 5:55 AM

Didn't realize 834 N 1st Ave was being demo'd for Union, too. =/ I love all of those brick buildings in the area - wish more were apartments or something more than a law office, but still, am sad and surprised at the carnage created by this project. :(

It hasn't broken ground yet, correct?

nickw252 Jul 22, 2014 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6663986)
Didn't realize 834 N 1st Ave was being demo'd for Union, too. =/ I love all of those brick buildings in the area - wish more were apartments or something more than a law office, but still, am sad and surprised at the carnage created by this project. :(

It hasn't broken ground yet, correct?

That building has already been razed. I usually don't like tearing down old buildings either but this wasn't a major loss. Although it had mid-century modern architecture, it was not particularly architecturally significant and it did not have much of a street presence. It was basically a two floor brick rectangle building with a shallow pitched roof that did not face the street- rather, it had a closed-off and fenced-in courtyard on the south side.

HooverDam Jul 22, 2014 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6664325)
That building has already been razed. I usually don't like tearing down old buildings either but this wasn't a major loss. Although it had mid-century modern architecture, it was not particularly architecturally significant and it did not have much of a street presence. It was basically a two floor brick rectangle building with a shallow pitched roof that did not face the street- rather, it had a closed-off and fenced-in courtyard on the south side.

Agreed. Though my worry is we knock down existing, occupied buildings at this point in an economic cycle, and by the time construction is actually happening, things have gone bust again and the project never happens. See the dozens of downtown dirt lots for evidence of this.

HX_Guy Jul 22, 2014 11:14 PM

Burger Joint Chicago opens in downtown Phoenix

There’s a certain degree of uncertainty when a new restaurant opens, but when it’s burgers for $10 in the lobby of your building, you don't hesitate.
Burger Joint Chicago opened today on the ground floor of the U.S. Bank building in Phoenix, at the corner of First Avenue and Adams Street. Workers first posted “coming soon” signs in November 2013, so since the day had finally come, a pilgrimage was in order for the some of the Business Journal editorial staff, whose office is 23 floors above.
The soft opening pulled in more than 100 visitors, according to co-founder and manager Dennis Skiadopoulos. This is the restaurants third location, with two others in Chicago where local radio station WGN 720 named it Restaurant of the Year.
Monday through Thursday the restaurant will cater to the office crowd from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., but Friday and Saturday the Joint will stay open until 3 a.m. hoping to capture the late-night crowd.
“Everybody around here closes at 2 a.m.,” Skiadopoulos said. “Bartenders have no where to eat, waitresses, bar backs … I did it in Chicago and it was a great hit.”
While only soda is on tap now, Skiadopoulos hopes to have the full bar and craft brews ready to go in about a month.
The menu boasts standard burger joint fare as well as what our two Chicago natives on staff assure me are standard staples of the Windy City, such as gyros, hot dogs, sausages and Italian Beef. Skiadopoulos describes it as “fast-casual Chicago comfort food.” Barbeque items like pulled pork and ribs are available, but seem less appealing for an office lunch.
The most exciting variety on the menu, at least for a recovering junk-food addict and college student like myself, was the specialty fries. Freshly cut fries can be smothered in cheese, chili cheese, feta cheese, blue cheese, garlic Parmesan cheese, or gravy and cheese also known as Poutine. Sure the specialty fries are $4, but it’s a huge portion that can easily be shared.
The cheeseburger was solid, with crisp fresh vegetables and a hearty, sweet bun. Service was slow, as all six members of our party ordered in a row but our food came out a good 15 minutes apart. Considering it was a soft opening and Day 1, you can’t blame the staff. Skiadopoulos said those issues, as well as malfunctioning digital menus, should be fixed soon.
For a soft opening, Skiadopoulos said it went well, though there were some hitches, such as a truck delivering the day's turkey burgers well after the lunch rush.
“My hope is that more and more people check us out and see that you get great fresh food at affordable prices,” Skiadopoulos said. “Everywhere else around here is more like $12 for a burger.”
Burger Joint is the latest Chicago company to head to the Valley, goaded by the many visitors and transplants as well as both the Cubs and White Sox spring training camps. Last year Chicago-based hot dog shop Portillo’s opened in Scottsdale and Tempe to large crowds.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all