SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Kenmore Aug 24, 2016 6:03 PM

i think they were going for semi-permeable but it just looks like cigarette grout...the whole street looks even dingier than before and that's saying something

what a letdown

tjp Aug 24, 2016 6:19 PM

Yeah. I'm hoping they're going to do some sort of deep-cleaning once it's officially done and the landscaping is all in, but that's probably wishful thinking.

ardecila Aug 24, 2016 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjp (Post 7540969)
So maddening. It's like they spaced the bricks out just wide enough so that cigarettes and other trash can get stuck in-between.

Hopefully it looks a lot better once all the trees are in. Right now, it already looks tired and unkept.

I walked down Argyle over the weekend. Shitty Unilock pavers fail again.

Permeability has nothing to do with it, there is an asphalt layer underneath which, even if it is "permeable asphalt", will still clog up in short order.

I don't understand why they insisted on setting all the pavers at weird angles to the curb line. It looks awful. Plus, the detailing for this sucks so nothing is properly flush where it should be. This will get destroyed the first time a snowplow goes by.

I think the cigarette comment is premature, they haven't put in trash cans or other street furniture yet so smokers are forced to drop their butts on the sidewalk.

Kenmore Aug 24, 2016 7:04 PM

jesus christ, it's even worse than I imagined

LouisVanDerWright Aug 24, 2016 11:26 PM

Did someone post a picture or something of Argyle I'm not seeing? I haven't been over there in ages and would love to see the damage.

ardecila Aug 24, 2016 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7541395)
Did someone post a picture or something of Argyle I'm not seeing? I haven't been over there in ages and would love to see the damage.

I went there at night and they still don't have decent lighting installed, so I couldn't take photos.

Basically a janky execution of a crap design. Even functionally, it's not the "wall-to-wall carpet" of pavers I hoped it would be... functions much closer to a regular street. The one in Batavia is much better IMO.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 25, 2016 2:43 AM

You know it's bad when Batavia left you in the dust...

Mister Uptempo Aug 26, 2016 4:10 AM

Metra to paint station in Pullman rail-car colors

From Progressive Railroading-

Progressive Railroading Magazine
August 24, 2016

Quote:

Metra will paint the 111th Street/Pullman Station warming house to resemble a classic Pullman rail car, the Chicago-area commuter railroad announced yesterday.

The warming house will be painted with the same colors as the Gertrude Emma, a Pullman Palace Car Co. rail car that was manufactured in Chicago's South Side neighborhood. The car was used on the Pennsylvania Limited between Chicago and New York in the late 19th and 20th centuries, Metra officials said.

The new paint design will come at no additional cost, with painting scheduled to start in early September, agency officials said. Metra's other improvements to the 111th Street Station will include replacing platform deck boards and the stairway to the platform.
http://i.imgur.com/SNSB43n.jpg
Rendering Source - Metra

chicagopcclcar1 Aug 26, 2016 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 7542782)
From Progressive Railroading-

Progressive Railroading Magazine
August 24, 2016

http://i.imgur.com/SNSB43n.jpg
Rendering Source - Metra

Metra will do this for all nineteen patrons daily?
METRA ELECTRIC MAIN
Kensington...............1,081
111 St......................... 19
107 St......................... 31
103 Rosemoor................43
95 St. CSU.................... 43
91 St. Chesterfield......... 26
87 St. Woodruff..............56
83 St. Avalon Park..........50
79 St. Chatham..............57
75 St. Grand Crossing.....15
63 St...........................154

CTA RED LINE
95th St...... 10,863
87th St........ 4,236
79th St........ 7,091
69th St........ 5,403
63rd St........ 3,200

DH

CTA Gray Line Aug 27, 2016 12:15 PM

The Sandy Johnston Interview

http://www.thechidispatch.com/sandy-johnston-interview

Metra Electric is special, and it doesn't fit into the paradigm tha RTA and
Metra have tried to fit it into for the last 35 years......

He describes this much better than I could!

denizen467 Aug 27, 2016 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7539739)
... then I noticed the foam crumbles. ...

Hey, welcome back?

ardecila Sep 2, 2016 1:05 PM

Not a "development" exactly, but WBEZ just did a feature on the original construction of the Eisenhower back in the 50s. Very interesting story with great photos.

http://interactive.wbez.org/curiouscity/eisenhower/

I am not nearly old enough to remember the city before the expressways were built. But it's always struck me as tragic that the Eisenhower was built along the path of the West Side L, which must have been a nexus for dense housing and shopping districts. Imagine building an expressway along the path of the Brown Line and destroying almost every commercial street in Lakeview to do it, that's the kind of destruction that the Eisenhower wrought upon the West Side. No wonder those neighborhoods took such a turn for the worse.

At least all future expressways followed freight railroads, where they sorta ran along pre-existing seams between different neighborhoods, instead of ripping out the heart of neighborhoods. This was probably for cost reasons rather than good planning, though - homes and buildings next to the smoky railroad tracks were simply cheaper to buy up en masse.

CTA Gray Line Sep 2, 2016 4:16 PM

Mayor Emanuel, CTA to Provide Improved, More Frequent Bus Service....

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/d...ArticleId=3578

Tom Servo Sep 6, 2016 9:16 PM

Got some bullshit in the mail, informing property owners along the Red Line of this RPM project. Some bullshit about modernizing track.

Public meeting is September 13th. I'll be there in full opposition to this heinous waste of money and resources.

God I hate the CTA. :hell:

ChargerCarl Sep 6, 2016 9:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7552747)
Got some bullshit in the mail, informing property owners along the Red Line of this RPM project. Some bullshit about modernizing track.

Public meeting is September 13th. I'll be there in full opposition to this heinous waste of money and resources.

Hopefully this meeting is only open to property OWNERS and not out of touch renters who don't pay taxes.

Is this a parody post?

Tom Servo Sep 6, 2016 9:55 PM

No I'm 100% serious.

The CTA is the most wasteful and corrupt organization in the entire state. There is NOTHING wrong with the existing tracks. Their scam is bullshit.

Vlajos Sep 6, 2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl (Post 7552761)
Is this a parody post?

Yes

HowardL Sep 6, 2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7552747)

Hopefully this meeting is only open to property OWNERS and not out of touch renters who don't pay taxes.

I got the same mail and I read it.

From their map, my building lies about two properties east of the TIF boundaries. I own in Lake View and I'm in.

Is it important to keep the Howard in good shape? Absolutely. I'm not satisfied with the demolition involved in the flyover at Roscoe but if done properly, it would benefit riders farther north and not gore central Lake View.

The costs are insane and I don't think that $2.3 billion is well spent on a 5.3 mile, 4 station extension beyond 95th, but I'll need to read up on the expected benefits to Roseland and Pullman before I form an opinion.

I would have preferred a little love for the Circle Line but that was just not in the cards this time.

UPChicago Sep 7, 2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7552785)
No I'm 100% serious.

The CTA is the most wasteful and corrupt organization in the entire state. There is NOTHING wrong with the existing tracks. Their scam is bullshit.

The train literally crawls in certain sections, we should have collective shame at how slow the red line can be sometimes. BTW I got the invite and am a renter.

CTA Gray Line Sep 7, 2016 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7552785)
No I'm 100% serious.

We've got to find a way to P R O V E that Tom.....