SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

ardecila Jun 4, 2015 3:02 AM

^ If I remember correctly, RPM/Belmont Flyover is the only project in contention for Core Capacity funds. It's a hefty chunk of Federal money set aside only for older heavy rail transit systems, and of the ten systems in the US that qualify, CTA is way ahead of the pack since Dick Durbin created the fund in last year's transportation bill.

Please explain to me how this money can be used to restore express bus service.

Like others on this page, I support BRT and even BRT-lite improvements like Jeffrey Jump - they are a very important piece of the CTA puzzle, and I sincerely hope Emanuel pushes Ashland BRT as a proof-of-concept to expand throughout the city. But it's hard to build new transit lines when your old ones are crumbling and their capacity is maxed out.

CTA Gray Line Jun 4, 2015 12:40 PM

Public sounds off at CTA Brown Line flyover Forum

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-brown-line-flyover-public-meeting-20150603-story.html

June 3rd, 2015 9:35pm

North Side residents seized the opportunity Tuesday night to weigh in on the controversial CTA project to route the Brown Line over two other elevated lines.

It was the first public meeting on the Brown Line flyover since the CTA submitted an environmental assessment that included expanding the scope of the transit project that aims ease a rail bottleneck at the Clark Junction, where the Brown, Red and Purple lines intersect.....

k1052 Jun 4, 2015 3:13 PM

Contrary to the assertions of Ellen Hughes the flyover is not going to "destroy" Lakeview. I find her hyperbolic statements laughable in the face of such an obviously beneficial and long desired/planned infrastructure improvement. As a property owner, on and off again resident, and frequent visitor to the neighborhood I want to see this project come to fruition.

CTA Gray Line Jun 4, 2015 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7049997)
^ If I remember correctly, RPM/Belmont Flyover is the only project in contention for Core Capacity funds. It's a hefty chunk of Federal money set aside only for older heavy rail transit systems, and of the ten systems in the US that qualify, CTA is way ahead of the pack since Dick Durbin created the fund in last year's transportation bill.

Please explain to me how this money can be used to restore express bus service.

Like others on this page, I support BRT and even BRT-lite improvements like Jeffrey Jump - they are a very important piece of the CTA puzzle, and I sincerely hope Emanuel pushes Ashland BRT as a proof-of-concept to expand throughout the city. But it's hard to build new transit lines when your old ones are crumbling and their capacity is maxed out.

As I said about new President Carter, he has connections in DC; that is HIS JOB to find OTHER sources -- FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD!

NOT feed the hungry Transit-Construction Complex.

BVictor1 Jun 5, 2015 5:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7050198)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-brown-line-flyover-public-meeting-20150603-story.html

June 3rd, 2015 9:35pm

North Side residents seized the opportunity Tuesday night to weigh in on the controversial CTA project to route the Brown Line over two other elevated lines.

It was the first public meeting on the Brown Line flyover since the CTA submitted an environmental assessment that included expanding the scope of the transit project that aims ease a rail bottleneck at the Clark Junction, where the Brown, Red and Purple lines intersect.....

I found the process very open and the representatives easy to talk to. I think that this project will happen regardless of the push back of certain people of the community, as it's for the overall benefit of the system. I'd like to see the TOD radius expanded from 600' to 1000' around transit stations in order to increase overall density.

CTA Gray Line Jun 5, 2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7051379)
I found the process very open and the representatives easy to talk to. I think that this project will happen regardless of the push back of certain people of the community, as it's for the overall benefit of the system. I'd like to see the TOD radius expanded from 600' to 1000' around transit stations in order to increase overall density.

OF COURSE they were Happy, polite, and very easy to talk to; they were AT WORK (on the Clock) with a specific assignment (and script).

The Flyover may very well end up being built after all, but it is about to undergo a much more rigorous "value examination" procedure (cost/benefit ratio, and relative need) before it gets there.....

btw: Your TOD radius expansion idea is E X C E L L E N T, We need to fight for that also BV!

chicagopcclcar1 Jun 5, 2015 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7051516)

The Flyover may very well end up being built after all, but it is about to undergo a much more rigorous "value examination" procedure (cost/benefit ratio, and relative need) before it gets there.....

That was a grand admission on your part. Thank you.

DH

CTA Gray Line Jun 5, 2015 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 7051669)
That was a grand admission on your part. Thank you.

DH

It may also end up NOT being built, can you admit that?

chicagopcclcar1 Jun 5, 2015 10:28 PM

CTA Green Line Faces President Obama Library Fight

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...100_0724_1.jpg[/URL]
Green Line Garfield Boulevard station.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1020473_1.jpg[/URL]
Ground level showing the "L" overpass over the boulevard.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1110700_1.jpg[/URL]
A Green line train rattles the switches at 59th St. Junction. Next stop is Garfield, "doors open on the right."

Now that the two sites have been singled out, transportation issues makes the Green Line and the Washington Park site the clear winner. CTA "L" headways easily beat out the hour schedule of Metra Electric and the CTA #10 Museum, in those months when the #10 runs. An Obama Presidential Library could have a direct entry from the Green Line Garfield station. Whereas a Jackson Park location would be blocks away from any Metra Electric station requiring walking. The #10 Museum bus would easily get its route diverted.

The Chicago Tribune in its Wednesday, June 3, edition, wrote an article called "What Will City Do For Obama Library?" and cited the transportation issues of the two sites but the article also said "making the south side seem more attractive to tourists and residents from the entire Chicagoland area" is a major task . The article mentioned studies that say a $220 million-a-year economic impact would come to the city. But a library would have to draw 800,000 visitors a year.

A Jackson Park location would offer a close connection to Hyde Park, the U of C, the Science Museum, and the lakefront. These areas are thought by some as being "more" safe. But that is an idea that runs counter to a main theme...."the library should bring new investments to the surrounding neighborhoods, creating jobs and spurring economic growth." Which community is in dire needs: Hyde Park or Washington Park. A major task would be making the Green line "safe."

DH

CTA Gray Line Jun 5, 2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 7052323)
CTA Green Line Faces President Obama Library Fight

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...100_0724_1.jpg[/URL]
Green Line Garfield Boulevard station.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1020473_1.jpg[/URL]
Ground level showing the "L" overpass over the boulevard.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...P1110700_1.jpg[/URL]
A Green line train rattles the switches at 59th St. Junction. Next stop is Garfield, "doors open on the right."

Now that the two sites have been singled out, transportation issues makes the Green Line and the Washington Park site the clear winner. CTA "L" headways easily beat out the hour schedule of Metra Electric and the CTA #10 Museum, in those months when the #10 runs. An Obama Presidential Library could have a direct entry from the Green Line Garfield station. Whereas a Jackson Park location would be blocks away from any Metra Electric station requiring walking. The #10 Museum bus would easily get its route diverted.

The Chicago Tribune in its Wednesday, June 3, edition, wrote an article called "What Will City Do For Obama Library?" and cited the transportation issues of the two sites but the article also said "making the south side seem more attractive to tourists and residents from the entire Chicagoland area" is a major task . The article mentioned studies that say a $220 million-a-year economic impact would come to the city. But a library would have to draw 800,000 visitors a year.

A Jackson Park location would offer a close connection to Hyde Park, the U of C, the Science Museum, and the lakefront. These areas are thought by some as being "more" safe. But that is an idea that runs counter to a main theme...."the library should bring new investments to the surrounding neighborhoods, creating jobs and spurring economic growth." Which community is in dire needs: Hyde Park or Washington Park. A major task would be making the Green line "safe."

DH

Another big Theme as you said is "Access".....

The Metra Electric Line (even with just it's existing rail service) provides vastly more Regional access to the Jackson Park area than the Green Line does to the Washington Park area.

The Green Line runs farther south only to 63rd. St. (Cottage Grove and Ashland), with a direct connection to Downtown on the Loop "L".

The Metra Electric also connects directly to Downtown, but also could bring visitors from South and Southeast neighborhoods within the city (South Shore, Lakeside, South Chicago, Grand Crossing, Chatham, Burnside, the Pullman National Park, etc.) that the Green Line obviously couldn't reach, in additon to South Suburban Minority communities like Riverdale, Dixmoor, Calumet Heights, Blue Island, and Harvey (all the way out to University Park).

And the NICTD services running on the MED would provide Minority NE Indiana communities like East Chicago, Hammond, and Gary with access to the Obama Library; and from even as far as Michigan City and South Bend.

An upgrading of the in-city routes of the MED to CTA Gray Line service, would provide the same "L" services to Jackson Park, as the Green Line does to Washington Park -- but throughout the eastern South Side areas in addition.

The neighborhoods truly needing the most economic investment can be easily seen, as described in this Crain's Chicago Business "Money Train" article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...income-levels#

chicagopcclcar1 Jun 6, 2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7052361)
Another big Theme as you said is "Access".....

An upgrading of the in-city routes of the MED to CTA Gray Line service, would provide the same "L" services to Jackson Park, as the Green Line does to Washington Park -- but throughout the eastern South Side areas in addition.

[/url]

MAN....Give up that "BS" idea......Never will it happen!

DH

untitledreality Jun 6, 2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7052361)
The Metra Electric Line (even with just it's existing rail service) provides vastly more Regional access to the Jackson Park area than the Green Line does to the Washington Park area.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. While access to the site from SE Chicago and NW Indiana would be improved, the rest of the region would see significantly diminished accessibility by placing the Library at Jackson Park.

chicagopcclcar1 Jun 6, 2015 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 7052466)
I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. While access to the site from SE Chicago and NW Indiana would be improved, the rest of the region would see significantly diminished accessibility by placing the Library at Jackson Park.

Thank you. Gray Line has been harping that idea for twenty years. What doesn't he understand about "NO"?

DH

CTA Gray Line Jun 6, 2015 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitledreality (Post 7052466)

Please explain that "diminished accessibility" for the rest of the region?

What transit routes and/or services are available in Washington Park, that are not there at Jackson Park?

CTA Gray Line Jun 6, 2015 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 7052486)
Thank you. Gray Line has been harping that idea for twenty years. What doesn't he understand about "NO"?

DH

I understand "NO" quite clearly, there was a "NO" for the Circle Line, a "NO" for the Star Line, and a "NO" for the Circulator Trolley. BUT we did however get a resounding $400M "YES" for Block 37 (100% approval by the City Council); how do you feel about all the Taxpayer money spent (and STILL BEING SPENT) on that Big Useless Hole-in-the-Ground David? Lemme Guess: "A solid investment toward's the City's Future"?

Also please explain the people who voted the Gray Line into second place in the Museum Campus Transportation Study (and their very positive comments): http://www.civicartworks.com/project...opular&phase=1 Which was supposed to have been completed in December, but whose results are being withheld; even though we now 99% have the Lucas Museum coming.

CTA Gray Line Jun 6, 2015 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 7052456)
MAN....Give up that bull shit idea......Never will it happen!

DH

David, I have not cursed at you -- And I can come up with some pretty imaginative ones about you and your Parents. I thought this was supposed to be an "Adult Forum".

I WOULD NEVER call ANY idea another Person had "bull shit", the "Class" your Parents raised you with (????) is showing through very well.

BVictor1 Jun 6, 2015 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7052260)
It may also end up NOT being built, can you admit that?

Much less likely than it happening, but of course, anything is possible.

CTA Gray Line Jun 6, 2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7052661)
Much less likely than it happening, but of course, anything is possible.

Wednesday's CTA Board Meeting is going to be quite explosive, I dropped a match in the woods.
The Gray Line might not ever happen either; among many, many other Projects.

chicagopcclcar1 Jun 6, 2015 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 7052628)
I understand "NO" quite clearly, there was a "NO" for the Circle Line, a "NO" for the Star Line, and a "NO" for the Circulator Trolley. BUT we did however get a resounding $400M "YES" for Block 37 (100% approval by the City Council); how do you feel about all the Taxpayer money spent (and STILL BEING SPENT) on that Big Useless Hole-in-the-Ground David? Lemme Guess: "A solid investment toward's the City's Future"?

Also please explain the people who voted the Gray Line into second place in the Museum Campus Transportation Study (and their very positive comments): http://www.civicartworks.com/project...opular&phase=1 Which was supposed to have been completed in December, but whose results are being withheld; even though we now 99% have the Lucas Museum coming.

Why do you keep bringing up Block 37, you sound like Cable Fox News....over and over again. What, do you think they are going to give the money spent for Block 37 to Gray Line. Every time a new politician is elected or appointed you run like he or she is going to fund Gray Line. Hasn't worked for twenty years. Pitiful! Now evidently, you hope the Brown Flyover would become money to fund Gray Line. Or have you moved to Lakeview.

Finally, you haven't noticed that Museum Campus Transportation Study has no money so who cares about their comments. Get comments by Metra and you would have something. Oh, that's right....twenty years...they've told you "NO."

DH

CTA Gray Line Jun 6, 2015 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 7052786)
Why do you keep bringing up Block 37, you sound like Cable Fox News....over and over again. What, do you think they are going to give the money spent for Block 37 to Gray Line. Every time a new politician is elected or appointed you run like he or she is going to fund Gray Line. Hasn't worked for twenty years. Pitiful! Now evidently, you hope the Brown Flyover would become money to fund Gray Line. Or have you moved to Lakeview.

Finally, you haven't noticed that Museum Campus Transportation Study has no money so who cares about their comments. Get comments by Metra and you would have something. Oh, that's right....twenty years...they've told you "NO."

DH

I keep bringing up Block 37 because they WASTED 400 MILLION DOLLARS on it (and it is STILL us costing right now today), What is that "None of your Business" for the Taxpayers who paid for it, or something? "You don't need to know how WE spend YOUR Money; then, now, or in the Future" And I was talking about the Public's comments about the Gray Line, not the MPC's.

Have you ever heard of Hyman Rickover? And Metra is about to undergo a thorough examination of the way it spends money also!