SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Steely Dan Apr 21, 2020 4:41 PM

NO POLITICS!

take that shit to CE.

mousquet Apr 21, 2020 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8900006)
NO POLITICS!

Hé hé ha ha ha, how many times did you have to repeat to this thread?
Only they know. I lost count.

Spiritual is kind of okayyy... Religious is dangerous.
Materialist and political to the toilet flush.
I for one like this unbiased attitude.

I'm thinking, I don't even know what it takes to delete a post on this kind of forums.
It must be annoying in the end. Blame on the generic forum or application server designers, whoever is responsible for that.
They should design something easier and faster, like almost immediate to mods.

montréaliste Apr 21, 2020 10:48 PM

A thread is a terrible thing to waste. Almost six hours since the last post.

Fresh Apr 22, 2020 8:37 AM

Beaches are starting to open back up in Sydney just in time for this glorious autumn weather, traffic is getting heavier again, although it's still going to be a while before I can go to the pub with my friends.

The numbers here are extremely encouraging compared to places overseas

Quote:

As at 6:00am on 22 April 2020, there have been 6,647 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 22 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.

Of the 6,647 confirmed cases in Australia, 74 have died and 4,291 have been reported as recovered from COVID-19. More than 444,000 tests have been conducted across Australia.
That's 74 deaths in total since the pandemic begin. Last night I saw the ticker across the bottom of the rolling news say '92 YEAR OLD DIES FROM CORONA IN WESTERN SYDNEY' and surely even the media can't keep up that kind of fake panic with a straight face for long.

10023 Apr 22, 2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh (Post 8900733)
That's 74 deaths in total since the pandemic begin. Last night I saw the ticker across the bottom of the rolling news say '92 YEAR OLD DIES FROM CORONA IN WESTERN SYDNEY' and surely even the media can't keep up that kind of fake panic with a straight face for long.

Haha... no kidding.

hauntedheadnc Apr 22, 2020 1:57 PM

About like this:

Study ranks Asheville workforce among top 10 hardest hit in nation

Quote:

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — A study done by ecommerce website Volusion said Asheville ranked No. 9 for mid-size cities where workforces at-large have faced severe economic layoffs, furloughs and store closings because of coronavirus.

The report pointed to the city’s large contingent of retail, hospitality and leisure workers who were faced with cuts because the industries were non-essential.
Two of the heaviest hitters in the local tourism industry here, Biltmore Estate and the Grove Park Inn, are both closed right now. When Biltmore closed, they laid off about two thousand workers. With the Grove Park Inn closed, that is the city's biggest hotel, with more than 500 rooms and all of them empty.

sopas ej Apr 22, 2020 8:09 PM

From ABC7 Los Angeles:

Gov. Newsom says reopening CA won't be like a 'light switch' but hospitals can resume scheduling surgeries

On Wednesday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced hospitals will be able to start scheduling surgeries again, though he did not provide a specific date for when California's economy will reopen.

In the first move toward modifying and easing California's stay-at-home order, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday announced that hospitals statewide will be able to start scheduling surgeries amid the ongoing coronavirus emergency.

Newsom did not, however, offer a specific timeline for when the state's economy will begin reopening or when widespread restrictions will be lifted.

"The pressure to answer that question is very real. I wish I could prescribe a specific date. There is no light switch and there is no date," he said.

The gradual modification will allow for scheduled surgeries to resume in order to treat conditions such as tumors, heart valves and other non-coronavirus medical procedures. The governor stressed the importance of being able to reintroduce capacity across the health care delivery system, while also ensuring that it doesn't "overload the system."

Before making any decision on reopening the state on a wider scope, Newsom said he'd continue to evaluate the state's progress on six key criteria.

The governor described a six-pronged framework of parameters and tools that are needed before the state can implement major changes to the state's stay-at-home orders and other COVID-19 interventions:

1. A widespread expansion of coronavirus testing;

2. "Vigilant" protection against infection of California's most vulnerable residents;

3. Manage surges at hospitals, enable development of infrastructure and distribution of personal protective equipment, or PPE;

4. Engage researchers in academia, including the University of California, and at health and technology companies on the front lines of the pandemic;

5. "Redraw floor plans" at business locations, schools and child-care facilities with physical distancing in mind;

6. Determining when to re-institute certain measures, such as stay-at-home orders.

Link: https://abc7.com/health/watch-today-...-sivo28tv67Pyk

Pedestrian Apr 22, 2020 8:20 PM

Quote:

SF begins offering free coronavirus tests to all essential workers
Dominic Fracassa April 22, 2020 Updated: April 22, 2020 12:13 p.m.

San Francisco officials have started making COVID-19 tests available to all essential workers still on the job during the coronavirus pandemic, thanks to a significant expansion in testing capacity.

Starting Wednesday, any essential worker in the public or private sector — from front-line health-care workers to grocery store clerks and restaurant cooks — will have access to a COVID-19 test if they exhibit symptoms of the disease, like a fever, cough or shortness of breath.

The city has a full list of symptoms and an electronic sign-up sheet for testing at sf.gov/citytestsf.

The city’s expansion of testing capacity coincides with the opening of a new public testing facility in the South of Market neighborhood. Combined with an existing facility on the Embarcadero, San Francisco can now process about 1,500 COVID-19 tests daily . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...l-15218683.php

Pedestrian Apr 22, 2020 8:25 PM

Quote:

Coronavirus live updates: California drivers speeding like crazy, tickets spike with traffic down
Alejandro Serrano , Rita Beamish , Dominic Fracassa , Michael Cabanatuan and Aidin Vaziri April 22, 2020 Updated: April 22, 2020 1:14 p.m.

Drivers are speeding like crazy: With traffic congestion way down, speeding tickets given to drivers exceeding 100 mph are way up — by 87%, the CHP and Caltrans say. Citations between March 19, when the statewide shelter-in-place order began, and April 19 numbered 2,493 compared with 1,335 during the same period last year. CHP Commissioner Warren Stanley called the trend alarming, noting speed leads to more serious injuries and greater chance of death in accidents. “Keep yourself and those on the road around you safe. Slow down and drive at a safe, legal speed,” he said.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...a-15192855.php

Pedestrian Apr 22, 2020 8:52 PM

The 21 Essential San Francisco Restaurants That Are Open for Takeout and Delivery

Pedestrian Apr 22, 2020 8:57 PM

Quote:

Muni votes to raise fares during outbreak, economic woes
By Adam Brinklow Apr 22, 2020, 11:45am PDT

Although Muni is struggling to maintain basic service in the face of nearly nonexistent ridership, as well as a driver pool threatened by the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) board decided to raise fares despite economic downturn and public criticism.

The fare hike was part of the transit agency’s two-year, $2.61 billion combined budget, which the board passed at a virtual meeting Tuesday.

Starting in July, monthly fast passes will cost an extra five dollars, bringing the total to $86 for a regular pass or $103 for a pass that allows access to BART stations in SF. Starting in 2021, the price of those passes will rise to $88 and $106 respectively.

Individual rides paid for with a Clipper card will grow more expensive as well, moving up from $2.50 now to $2.80 in July, then $2.90 next year. Cash fares will remain the same, but were already the most expensive way to ride at $3 a pop.

These regular fare hikes are tied to annual inflation increases, the sort that Muni has imposed for over ten years now.

SFMTA faced broad public criticism over the prospect of raising fares in the midst of the COVID-19 outbreak and subsequent economic retreat, with the San Francisco Board of Supervisors asking SFMTA last week to cancel the increase . . . .
https://sf.curbed.com/2020/4/22/2123...nomic%2520woes

:hell::hell::hell:

10023 Apr 22, 2020 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8901382)

What, because you’ll actually have to bear a tiny part of the enormous cost of all of this?

sopas ej Apr 22, 2020 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8901382)

Interesting...

Los Angeles County's Metro is still operating, but on April 19, all buses and trains started operating on a modified Sunday schedule. All boarding on buses is through the rear door only, with exception of wheelchair users of course.

City of LA's DASH buses, as well as Foothill Transit buses (which serve the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys) have been free since at least the stay-at-home order. Boarding is also through the rear door only.

Pedestrian Apr 22, 2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8901413)
What, because you’ll actually have to bear a tiny part of the enormous cost of all of this?

Because this is an inappropriate time to raise fares, what with so many people out of work and hurting for money.

I won't be paying any of the cost.. I rarely use Muni any more since it has become crowded with non-paying passengers, many of them homeless and unwashed and potentially lice-ridden. Mostly I use Uber. But when I do use Muni I get a discounted senior fare and there's no mention of raising those.

iheartthed Apr 23, 2020 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8901516)
Because this is an inappropriate time to raise fares, what with so many people out of work and hurting for money.

I won't be paying any of the cost.. I rarely use Muni any more since it has become crowded with non-paying passengers, many of them homeless and unwashed and potentially lice-ridden. Mostly I use Uber. But when I do use Muni I get a discounted senior fare and there's no mention of raising those.

This will happen to just about every transit system in the country. New York's MTA is facing the worst financial crisis in the system's history. And, since NYC's and NYS's financial situations are also dire, unless the federal government steps in the pain will be passed off directly to riders in one way or another.

Lear Apr 23, 2020 3:47 PM

It started 2 weeks ago....

Berlin gets 'pop-up' bike lanes to boost cycling in pandemic

+

Order and optimism as shoppers return to Berlin streets

10023 Apr 23, 2020 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8901516)

Reduced volume of fee paying passengers, revenue dropping to a much greater extent than operating costs can be cut, and they need to make some of it up in price to keep the service operating. It’s not complicated, and there’s no magic money tree to pay for it otherwise.

Pedestrian Apr 23, 2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8899774)
Not so fast.

It is very expensive to shut down wells and damages the infrastructure, not to mention it is a hard task to start them up again. This is a nightmare situation for oil companies. There probably aren't enough capping engineers to cater to individual conventional wells and stop the flow of oil in the short term.

Niether of us is an oil engineer but I have read fracked wells like most of those in the US can be "shut in" with little damage. Sure, the process will take time but step number one is to stop drilling new wells because they haven't even totally done that yet.

Pedestrian Apr 23, 2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8902068)
Reduced volume of fee paying passengers, revenue dropping to a much greater extent than operating costs can be cut, and they need to make some of it up in price to keep the service operating. It’s not complicated, and there’s no magic money tree to pay for it otherwise.

San Francisco loudly proclaims itself "a transit-first city". If transit were really a priority, they'd find somewhere else to make up the shortfall. Golly, they could even start charging tuition for "basketweaving" courses at City College again (they recently bought into the wokeness of free college). SF wastes money like you can't imagine--the options to keep transit affordable are endless.

Incidentally, besides shutting down most Muni service and raising fares, the city is beginning to shut down streets. They've already effectively shut down sidewalks by encouraging the homeless to cover them with tents so people have to walk into traffic, hence the need to shut the streets. Parks are shut too, and the library. One wonders what city officials do these days besides dream up new ways to harrass citizens.

Quote:

SF to begin closing city streets to cars to encourage social distancing during coronavirus outbreak
Dominic Fracassa April 21, 2020 Updated: April 22, 2020 7:58 a.m.

San Francisco transportation officials are planning to temporarily close off a number of streets to car traffic in the coming weeks in an effort to open up more space for pedestrians to practice social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency said Tuesday that starting this week, up to three streets could be closed off to through traffic for multiple blocks so people may walk or bike safely in the streets while maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from others.

The agency’s “Slow Streets” program plans to add several streets each week, using signs and traffic cones to reroute cars. Erica Kato, a spokeswoman for the SFMTA, said “local access,” like allowing drivers to get to their homes, would still be allowed.

The initiative follows the city’s decision to cut back drastically on Muni service during the pandemic, prompting more people to use other modes for transportation for essential services. Oakland began banning cars from streets this month, with officials planning a total of 74 miles of closures — about 10% of the city’s roadway space.

The streets were selected “to supplement reduced or suspended Muni routes, while providing bicycle and pedestrian access to essential services,” the agency said. “Many of these streets run parallel to other major streets and transit routes” . . . .

“The purpose of Slow Streets is to manage traffic speeds and create a safe network for essential walk and bike travel while transit service levels are reduced,” Jeffrey Tumlin, SFMTA’s director of transportation, said in an email. “Our agency is committed to giving San Franciscans the necessary space to practice social distancing as they leave their homes for critical needs.”
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-15215666.php

Pedestrian Apr 23, 2020 10:38 PM

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...681768/enhance
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15217396.php