SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

nomarandlee Apr 24, 2008 3:29 PM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...1,663642.story

TRIBUNE EXCLUSIVE

O'Hare Airport expansion deadline moved to 2014 to beat Olympic rush

By Jon Hilkevitch | Tribune reporter
April 24, 2008

Chicago says it is aggressively working to complete the expansion of delay-plagued O'Hare International Airport in 2014—two years before the city hopes to be hosting the Olympic Games.

The new fast-track timetable represents a formidable challenge. A massive reconfiguration of O'Hare's crisscrossing runways would need to be completed in only six years, all while the airport kept operating during construction.

The city previously said that the end date for the project was undetermined.

..........Among other challenges facing the city would be to build by 2014 a western satellite terminal that is needed for additional aircraft gates and passenger space to handle the projected increase in flights. But so far, no airline has agreed to help pay for the terminal or for some of the new runways.

Extending the People Mover rail system is also critical to transporting passengers from one end to the other of the expanded airport, yet the city has not locked in its funding, either.

Experts called the 2014 deadline an extreme long shot but would not rule out the possibility.............

VivaLFuego Apr 24, 2008 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 3489492)
So the new express lines that are running from O'Hare to B37, they are using the existing blue lines? Are they adding any? Is that why northbound on the Kennedy is down to one lane every night? What about Midway, are they building express lines there as well? This seems like a pretty important project, but there seems to be little information about it.

1. Lane closures on the Kennedy are for tie-replacement on the existing tracks to a. remove slow zones and b. upgrade the speed limit to 70mph

2. There are no construction plans currently for any bypass express tracks. There are several concepts for how and where to locate them but nothing is anywhere near being funded, since even the cheapest option is well over $500 million.

the urban politician Apr 27, 2008 11:29 PM

Will OHare expansion be necessary?

I'd like to ask a broader question:

Given the global crisis with airlines, escalating fuel prices in the setting of limited fuel reserves, and rising costs of air travel, is the OHare expansion really going to be a good long term investment?

I know for now there are projected increases in air travel over the next 20 years, but did those studies even take into account the lack of available energy sources to fuel such increases? Did anybody (other than a few peak oil "elitists") really consider the impact of this real global problem?

Getting back to the OHare expansion project, I'm seriously wondering if OHare is at or near its peak traffic loads, and that we will begin to see a long, slow decline as we did with passenger train travel 50 years ago.

Perhaps $15 billion (or whatever the new price tag is) is far better spent on expanding & upgrading the area's rail system..

the urban politician Apr 28, 2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3514535)
I'd like to ask a broader question:

Given the global crisis with airlines, escalating fuel prices in the setting of limited fuel reserves, and rising costs of air travel, is the OHare expansion really going to be a good long term investment?

I know for now there are projected increases in air travel over the next 20 years, but did those studies even take into account the lack of available energy sources to fuel such increases? Did anybody (other than a few peak oil "elitists") really consider the impact of this real global problem?

Getting back to the OHare expansion project, I'm seriously wondering if OHare is at or near its peak traffic loads, and that we will begin to see a long, slow decline as we did with passenger train travel 50 years ago.

Perhaps $15 billion (or whatever the new price tag is) is far better spent on expanding & upgrading the area's rail system..

^ Hate to quote myself, but case in point:

Traffic slows at O'Hare
By: Paul Merrion and John Pletz April 27, 2008
Traffic is declining at O'Hare International Airport just as the city of Chicago presses cash-strapped airlines to fund the second phase of the airport's expansion.

VivaLFuego Apr 28, 2008 1:39 AM

^imho about 75% of the expansion project is needed regardless, even if growth in air travel slows down (long term, I don't think it will, but the next few years could certainly be a hiccup). O'hare's old runway configuration is very inefficient and is a major factor in how delayed the airport is. Even if traffic stagnates, it would still be worth major investment, for the national air system to add new parallel runways and extend others to make overall operations more efficient and reliable.

Less concerned about a western terminal or western access road, which are major cost components.

nomarandlee Apr 28, 2008 3:38 AM

I agree Viva, and though I know we would like rail to get its due (especially TUP) I don't see rail ever seriously supplanting air travel in the future for anything over a few hundred miles. Unless we start building mag-lev's or super high trains interconnecting all over this country I don't see it happening (and think many would still prefer air travel). It simply is not as efficant as airplanes for long range travel for many people.

I could foresee airlines in the future though changing tactics to deal with any long term fuel surges. I could foresee larger planes with less frequency on lighter planes to make cost more efficient. These airlines will make adjustments to deal such factors and they will still thrive because there is sipmly the demand and air travel best meets that demand.

Rail Claimore Apr 28, 2008 3:45 AM

The runway reconfiguration and world gateway program (rennovating the existing terminals) are the key components of O'Hare modernization. The Western Terminal phase along with associated transportation infrastructure is something that can be built in the future to respond to demand as needed.

Keep in mind that the current minor decrease in air traffic is to be expected, not just due to rising operational costs for airlines, but because so much of O'Hare is a construction zone. United and American are rerouting flights to other hubs thanks to the flight caps and to speed their operations anyway. I'd expect to see the numbers pick back up next year, the first full year the new north runway will see operations. A similar thing happened with Atlanta last year, as they saw a record number of operations as a result of decreased congestion thanks to their fifth runway.

Chicago2020 Apr 28, 2008 4:59 AM

The expansion is needed for the long term

jpIllInoIs May 10, 2008 6:19 PM

Well this thread has been quiet for awhile. Might be a good time to ask...
What is the time frame-if any- for extending the people mover to the parking lots across Rt.45/Mannhiem Rd, closer to the Metra/O'Hare stop?

Mr Man May 12, 2008 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3489417)
Yeah, my first choice is always Southwest if they fly to my chosen destination, Midway is a much more pleasant experience overall than O'hare. But there's nothing the least bit awe-inspiring, or even particularly architecturally interesting, about the terminal and concourses. Almost all buildings of O'hare have some aesthetic/architectural merit; though much of the tasty SOM-60s-modernism of Terminals 2 and 3 is now gone, the replacements are pretty appealing overall. Given O'hare is the "flagship", or primary world gateway to Chicago, it makes sense to give it a little more oomph in the wow department. Midway is a Low Cost Airport for Low Cost Carriers.

To me there is nothing awe-inspiring about O'Hare with a few exceptions such as the Hilton hotel, the old air-traffic control tower, and the underground walkway to concourse C. It's so poorly designed, everything from the terminals to the runways. It is the flagship and primary gateway to the world which is why the O'Hare Modernization Program is so vital to Chicagoland. However right now it's a joke.

The last few seconds of this video clip describe O'Hare perfectly. Go ahead, what it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/j5OXNosrU34

I always had a fascination with Midway on the other hand. It's so compact and indeed pleasant. Maybe I just don't have architectural taste, but I love the new Midway terminal building.

I love landing at Midway. It's looks like you're getting ready to land on an charming inner-city street.

nomarandlee May 13, 2008 5:31 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2204456.story

U.S. Supreme Court will not hear church's appeal on O'Hare cemetery plans
Pending court cases, though, mean airport expansion plans in limbo
10:41 PM CDT, May 12, 2008

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal filed by a church attempting to save a cemetery in the path of planned runways at O'Hare International Airport.

Chicago officials said they will start contacting relatives of the deceased before any graves are moved.

But attorneys for St. John's United Church of Christ disagreed with the city's contention that the high court ruling ended federal litigation over the city's ability to acquire St. Johannes Cemetery, which borders O'Hare.

.......Despite Chicago officials vowing to move forward with plans to eventually take title to the cemetery, relocate the graves and demolish homes in Bensenville, the city remains barred from doing so pending the outcome of all the litigation, both sides agreed......

the urban politician May 13, 2008 1:36 PM

^ When the NIMBY suburbs inevitably lose this drawn-out battle, they will finally realize what total morons they were.

Then spent huge sums of money on litigation for NOTHING. They still lose their homes, they still lose their cemetary, they still have to move....all at a higher financial cost than if they had just gone along with OHare's expansion to begin with.

Brilliant

jpIllInoIs May 14, 2008 1:38 PM

^ There are only 2 nimby suburbs; Elk Grove Village and Bensenville. All other surrounding suburbs back the expansion. If the voters in Elk Grove Village were made aware of the money that Mayor Johnson has wasted on the futile effort to block O'Hare they might throw him out of office. Johnson should be more concerned with keeping EGV competitive in the "supply chain-warehousing" industries. Many businesses are leaving for lower costs and newer facilities in Carol Stream and Bolingbrook. In the long term I don't see how he is acting in the best interest of his village, when he is trying to neutralize the biggest economic engine in the region, that is O'Hare.

nomarandlee Jun 17, 2008 1:42 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,6048116.story

O'Hare hourly flight caps to be lifted in October, FAA says

12:24 PM CDT, June 16, 2008

The Federal Aviation Administration announced Monday that it will lift the hourly restrictions on arrivals at O'Hare International Airport at the end of October as scheduled.

The lifting of the flight caps had been in doubt because of serious flight delays at O'Hare.

But the downturn in the airline industry—a double-digit reduction in flights—clearly made the FAA decision on lifting the flight caps easier.

The lifting of the caps at O'Hare will allow four to five additional arrivals each hour, or about 70 a day, FAA acting Administrator Bobby Sturgell said at a news conference................

Marcu Jun 17, 2008 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 3551726)
^ There are only 2 nimby suburbs; Elk Grove Village and Bensenville. All other surrounding suburbs back the expansion. If the voters in Elk Grove Village were made aware of the money that Mayor Johnson has wasted on the futile effort to block O'Hare they might throw him out of office. Johnson should be more concerned with keeping EGV competitive in the "supply chain-warehousing" industries. Many businesses are leaving for lower costs and newer facilities in Carol Stream and Bolingbrook. In the long term I don't see how he is acting in the best interest of his village, when he is trying to neutralize the biggest economic engine in the region, that is O'Hare.

He is, however, doing a great service to the legal industry. Most of its beneficiaries live outside Elk Grove Village and disproportionately in Chicago proper.

Hot Rod Jun 17, 2008 5:48 AM

great news on the lifting of flight caps

hopefully with the completion(s) of the runways, we can get rid of all of the slots and caps and Chicago can once again blossom!

ardecila Jun 18, 2008 5:06 PM

While I'm all for Chicago having an efficient, premier airport, is the MASSIVE expenditure on expansion really worth it?

With air travel's future looking bleak, there may be little need for additional capacity beyond the substantial capacity that O'Hare already offers.

Plus, much of the O'Hare expansion is being financed through ticket taxes and through contributions from the airlines. With declining traffic, the number of tickets sold will decline and the airlines won't be very generous - they can't afford to be. In the current state that the air travel industry is in right now, can Chicago afford to complete the expansion plans?

VivaLFuego Jun 18, 2008 5:54 PM

To complete them? Probably not.

The runway reconfiguration is worth doing to reduce delays and increase the thoroughput of takeoffs/departures, particularly in inclement weather. The current configuration of three crisscrossing pairs of parallel runways gives great crosswind flexibility but not much else because of how many conflicting movements there are.

You're right that the new terminals are probably not high priorities, but I think the runways certainly are, and those are probably over half the project cost anyway.

ardecila Jun 20, 2008 5:52 PM

I think that was the intent all along. The City wowed everybody with promises of a western access road, a circumferential road, new rail access, shiny new terminals, etc. But the core of the plan is the airfield reconfiguration. The new terminals and ground transportation has always been used as a sort of carrot-on-a-stick, but I seriously doubt the city will pursue those once the runway improvements are done... you can definitely see this, if you read between the lines on the website.

But that still doesn't change the fact that much of the OMP is funded by airlines that have no cash to spare. Will those airlines, and the city, simply settle for the smaller benefits that Phase I will provide (9L-27R, 10L-28R extension, 10C-28C), without continuing on to Phase II?

VivaLFuego Jun 20, 2008 7:44 PM

Phase II would be partially funded out of ticket taxes/facility charges and FAA grants, so I'd expect partial progress on Phase II, with emphasis on airfield work rather than terminals or access roads.

If the west suburbs really want those ring and access roads, then let them deal with IDOT or the tollway, don't let OMP get distracted by it.

Given the current air travel market, there may not be demand for the additional terminals and gates for a while, but it doesn't hurt to plan and lay groundwork for the eventual need.

Rail Claimore Jun 21, 2008 4:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if concerns that UA and AA raised a while back would come into fruition regarding the expansion plan. Expect to see the two center runways of the new configuration axed if O'Hare doesn't see enough A380 and 747-8 traffic to warrant those. Four parallel runways spaced apart enough for trimultaneous operations would still do about 80% of what the full runway reconfiguration aims to accomplish... and they can always go back and build the two center runways if demand warrants. Though it must be noted that future 10C/28C runway is the one causing the big stink over that cemetary.

nomarandlee Jul 1, 2008 8:15 AM

O'Hare 2nd phase plans

Quote:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...ride30.article

Lofty O'Hare plans
EXPANSION | City pushing forward despite drop in airline traffic

June 30, 2008Recommend (5)

Neither record oil prices, nor airline cutbacks, nor falling O'Hare passenger numbers can keep Rosemarie Andolino from her appointed rounds.

Andolino, the ebullient head of the O'Hare Modernization Program, plans next month to formally ask the feds if the city can spend $200 million in future passenger ticket tax revenue on the design for the second phase of the multibillion-dollar expansion project.

She'll ask, even though she suspects cash-strapped United and American airlines won't like the proposal. She thinks the Federal Aviation Administration will OK the city's request anyway, because the expansion must get done. The revenue is generated by a $4.50 ticket tax on each departing passenger.

.........The $200 million design cost is the first step toward Phase Two of O'Hare modernization, which will cost another $5 billion on top of the $3.2 billion planned for Phase One. The city wants the second phase, which includes a runway extension and a new western terminal, to be done by 2014. The city says the total improvement plan will be around $15 billion. Opponents put the cost higher.

Airport revenue bonds are funding much of Phase One. Andolino won't speculate on whether O'Hare's airlines will support future airport revenue bond issues for Phase Two. The city will also consider third-party investors, although the city doesn't have any in mind yet, Andolino said.

Joseph Karaganis, a lawyer for suburban communities that oppose the O'Hare expansion, thinks the third-party notion is unrealistic and that the expansion will never happen.

"Does she know a Russian billionaire?" Karaganis scoffed. "Chicago's claim they can fund this stuff without the airlines won't hold water on analysis." He worries that taxpayers could be on the hook for construction funding if airlines can't pay.

Airline industry analyst Mike Boyd agrees with Andolino that despite airline cutbacks, O'Hare expansion is still a good idea.

"You have to constrict a whole lot to get to the point where that extra runway won't be used," Boyd said, noting that O'Hare delays affect flights around the country. "We need as many as you can build."

But Boyd said the city must show airlines that the expansion will bring their operating costs down before they'll put up more money. "They don't want to pay for anything extra they don't need," Boyd said.

The current bonds are stable despite the airline's troubles, said Standard & Poor's credit analyst Joseph Pezzimenti. If airport activity goes down too much, airfield and landing fee rates will go up to meet debt payments.

Pezzimenti said the city still must work to get airline approval to finance Phase Two. "That's the key thing for them to move forward," he said...........

ardecila Jul 1, 2008 8:23 PM

Well, I guess that article addressed all my doubts about the future of the O'Hare expansion plan. I am very surprised that they are still going ahead with the western terminal... I hope they hire somebody good to design it. Norman Foster is a pretty safe choice, but what would a Calatrava terminal be like? :)

Marcu Jul 2, 2008 4:32 AM

^ With Illinois' political clout (aka Dick Durbin), there's no way this is not getting through the FAA.

ardecila Jul 3, 2008 6:24 AM

No, I don't think the FAA will deny it... but it surprises me that the City of Chicago is still pursuing a western terminal, when more runway improvements would fix the problems that currently exist at O'Hare.

Plans for the western terminal, BTW, call for such costly features as access roads (probably using local roads, but eventually freeways) and a tunnel underneath the airfield to extend the People Mover. If the city is smart, they should bore a large-diameter tunnel that could fit both a Blue Line extension and the People Mover.

nomarandlee Jul 8, 2008 8:42 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5093826.story

Bensenville, Chicago in court again over O'Hare expansion
Bensenville wants judge to kill demolition plans
By Art Barnum | Chicago Tribune reporter
8:52 PM CDT, July 7, 2008

A four-day DuPage County court hearing that could lead to the demolition of more than 500 homes in the proposed path of a new southern runway for O'Hare International Airport began Monday, with attorneys for Chicago and Bensenville continuing the fight they have carried on for a decade.

DuPage Circuit Judge Kenneth Popejoy approved a temporary restraining order last July halting Chicago's plans to demolish the homes on the Bensenville property it has been buying up over the years to make way for the $15 billion O'Hare expansion.

Popejoy ordered an environmental study to guard against the release of any hazardous materials during the demolition of vacant buildings. Robert Graham, an attorney representing Chicago, said Monday that the study found "nothing to stop the demolition from going forward. We found nothing unexpected above ground or below ground. We found less than what was expected."

...........Popejoy hasn't said whether he will announce his decision at the end of the hearing Thursday or take several days to issue a more complete written opinion.

Chicago owns 555 of 611 properties in the runway path; about 500 are vacant. Chicago officials said that only about 30 families remain in the residential area east of York Road, on both sides of Irving Park Road..............

the urban politician Jul 8, 2008 2:23 PM

How the hell is Bensenville paying for this?

Do they seriously not have other expenses?

Haworthia Jul 8, 2008 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3659695)
How the hell is Bensenville paying for this?

Do they seriously not have other expenses?

I've wondered about that too. I have no idea how much they are paying for lawyers, but it must be a small fortune. It all seems like a complete waste. By the sounds of it, certain areas are already empty. Those areas are officially dead. Who would ever want to buy there now with the future threat of O'Hare expanding in the future if this doesn't go through?

VivaLFuego Jul 8, 2008 4:28 PM

What's the matter with those 30 remaining families? Do they really think by staying that somehow things will return to normal?

It's like those few people who 'successfully' fought eminent domain for 30 years in the Illinois Medical District. I get the idea and importance of doing something out of principle (opposing O'hare Expansion, however, I definitely don't agree with), but at some point one has to wonder what it's worth.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Did those people really "win"? The neighborhood is long gone, and their property value diminished because there is no opportunity for anything other than eventual inclusion in the IMD. So why bother? At some point, you throw in the towel and realize that in the long run, government always wins because it exists in perpetuity and maintains a monopoly on the use of force but I guess the Bensenville knuckleheads would rather punish "The Government" (read: The Taxpayer) with endless lawsuits, legal maneuverings, and construction delays. Didn't the City of Chicago offer everyone far above (like >50% greater than) market value for their properties to avoid eminent domain?

nomarandlee Jul 9, 2008 3:56 AM

Midway news

Midway Airport news, if long term plans for Southwest go ahead (I think they are the only airline still expanding amazingly) then Midway could max out rather soon. The more routes and flights out of Midway the better I say.

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,7692352.story

Southwest could expand Midway presence with WestJet deal
By James P. Miller | Tribune staff reporter
10:15 AM CDT, July 8, 2008

Southwest Airlines Co., in a move that is likely to bolster future traffic at Chicago's Midway Airport, said Tuesday that it intends to start a codeshare partnership with Canada's Westjet Airlines Ltd., in a move that represents the Texas-based discount carrier's first venture outside the U.S............

Chicago's Midway is currently Southwest's second-largest base, but it could become its biggest operations center at Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly moves ahead with tentative plans to expand Southwest into Canada, Mexico, Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Midway, Kelly told the Chicago Tribune last week, might serve as a gateway for Southwest's Canadian partner, which will funnel a host of new flights into the city and Southwest's network.........

Chicago Shawn Jul 12, 2008 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 3661545)
Midway Airport news, if long term plans for Southwest go ahead (I think they are the only airline still expanding amazingly) then Midway could max out rather soon. The more routes and flights out of Midway the better I say.

Acording to the FAA, Midway will be capacity constrained in a decade if O'Hare does not expand. This is beacuse delays at O'Hare= more planes queing on the runways, taxiways and gates at O'Hare= daleyed arivials circling around the city and congesting the shared airspace used by all airports in the region.

VivaLFuego Jul 12, 2008 10:54 PM

Midway really only has 2 runways for passenger jets, and not only do they criss-cross (no simultaneous operations), but in certain wind conditions only one can be used for all operations. Seems like Midway would become capacity constrained by its airfield before it does by its terminal facilities, no?

Nowhereman1280 Jul 13, 2008 7:01 AM

^^^ Don't worry, they will probably just fly the planes in willy nilly anyhow even if it risks collision... Just seems how we do it these days with crowded airports, just shove the planes in anyhow...

VivaLFuego Jul 13, 2008 4:46 PM

How does Midway compare in terms of total flight movements (and delays) to other busy one-runway airports like Gatwick?

nomarandlee Jul 22, 2008 5:45 AM

new western terminal

Quote:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...hare22.article

City seeks ideas for new O'Hare terminal
PHASE 2 |
Wants to spend $200 mil. on design

July 21, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND MARY WISNIEWSKIStaff Reporters

The Daley administration is forging ahead with planning for a new western terminal at O'Hare Airport -- though it doesn't yet have the money to design or build it and is not sure exactly how it will be used.

City Hall has issued a "request for qualifications" that asks design firms to plan for a range of possibilities for the new terminal.

"This effort will likely be undertaken without a defined final use or tenant," the request says. "Therefore, the study should explore the impacts of a range of potential uses on the overall space requirements .

These early stage designs will cost up to $10 million. That amount is part of a request the city plans to make to the Federal Aviation Administration for authority to spend $200 million in future passenger ticket tax revenue on the total design of Phase 2 of the O'Hare expansion.

"We're looking to define and refine the terminal area and also look at the different opportunities there," said Rosemarie Andolino, head of the O'Hare Modernization Program.

Andolino does not expect the airlines to support the $200 million request, but thinks the FAA will grant it anyway this fall.

Phase 2, which is expected to cost $5 billion, on top of the $3.2 billion for Phase 1, includes a runway extension and the new western terminal, which the city plans to complete by 2014. That's two years before Chicago hopes to host the Summer Olympic Games.

Airline consultant Mike Boyd said it makes sense for the preliminary design to look at different options, considering how much the industry is changing.

"It makes sense to look at the role O'Hare is going to play 20 years from now," said Boyd, who says O'Hare must expand to cure delays..........

simcityaustin Aug 6, 2008 12:40 PM

Some Articles about and relating to O'Hare

New airport building breaks ground this week

By Thomas V. Bona
BusinessRockford.com
Posted Aug 05, 2008 @ 02:53 PM
Last update Aug 05, 2008 @ 05:35 PM

Link to Full Article ->
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x90192243...ound-this-week

Excerpt -

ROCKFORD —

Chicago Rockford International Airport is building a home for 747s.

Work is starting this week on a much-anticipated cargo facility that could steal traffic from O’Hare International Airport.

Crews will start laying the foundation for the first building this week, a 70,000-square-foot structure that could handle several large airplanes a day. Ultimately, the project could include 380,000 square feet and bring an estimated $100 million in annual economic impact to the area.

Mayoral aide: City can't afford stained glass windows

Link -> http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...lass06.article

Excerpt -

The Chicago Sun-Times reported last month that, prior to Rodriguez’s appointment, the Department of Aviation was talking about spending $2 million to bankroll an exhibit of stained glass cabinets made from the extensive window collection of Chicago banking scion E. B. Smith Jr., whose great-grandfather founded the Northern Trust Bank in 1889.

The decision to expand to O’Hare’s three domestic terminals a stained glass exhibit previously confined to the international terminal circumvented the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs, which selects the art that adorns Chicago’s public buildings.

Today, Rodriguez said he is trying to find a way to scale back the fine art exhibit to a level the city and the airlines can afford.

“I don’t necessarily believe it’s a terrible idea. We have it in T-5. When you walk through our lower lobby to our baggage area, it’s in need of something…I’d like to do a little something. I just don’t know what percentage we could…afford,” the commissioner said.

simcityaustin Aug 7, 2008 6:42 PM

Bensenville Loses

Judge clears way for O'Hare-area demolition

By Gerry Smith | Chicago Tribune reporter
1:23 PM CDT, August 7, 2008

A DuPage County judge Thursday gave the City of Chicago permission to begin demolition of more than 500 properties in Bensenville that it has purchased to make way for the O'Hare runway expansion.

About 30 families live in the area.

In July, DuPage Circuit Judge Kenneth Popejoy approved a temporary restraining order that halted Chicago's plans to demolish the homes and ordered an environmental study to guard against the release of any hazardous materials during the demolition.

Bensenville officials made a final plea Thursday against demolition.

At a press conference in front of boarded-up houses, Bensenville officials called the project "a runway to nowhere," arguing that the demolition is unnecessary because the city can't afford the project. They also asserted the demolition would spread toxic materials throughout the village.

Bensenville attorney Joseph Karaganis said Tuesday morning they would ask for a continuance of the injunction while they appeal the decision if the judge ruled in Chicago's favor.

Chicago officials have said the construction of a new southern runway at O'Hare is needed to maintain the airport's economic growth.

It remains unclear when Chicago will be able to complete the project. The Daley administration has set a goal of 2014, but the city has failed to win agreement from the major airlines to fund the second phase.

The southern runway that would displace the majority of the Bensenville neighborhood's residents is the final runway in the massive project. In light of the financial pressures on the airline industry, the city may in the future alter its ambitious airfield design, perhaps resulting in the land now being acquired in Bensenville not being needed for runways.

"Why are you going to destroy this beautiful neighborhood when there's never going to be an O'Hare Modernization Program?" asked Bensenville President John C. Geils.

Link - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5503091.story

Rail Claimore Aug 7, 2008 10:08 PM

It's not a beautiful neighborhood anymore.

Mr Man Aug 9, 2008 9:47 PM

About Time!

ardecila Aug 9, 2008 10:52 PM

Yes, but Bensenville plans to appeal. Time will tell just how far they are willing to go, and how much legal fees they are willing to pay, to halt this demolition.

Mr Man Aug 9, 2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3725088)
Yes, but Bensenville plans to appeal. Time will tell just how far they are willing to go, and how much legal fees they are willing to pay, to halt this demolition.

I will never forgive the state of Illinois for not intervening in this matter. How much tax dollars have Bensenville and Chicago spent fighting over this? The O'Hare Modernization Act already gives Chicago all the authority it needs plus it's in the overall best interest of the entire region. There must be no less than two dozen Chicago attorneys who'll be able to retire comfortably when all this is said and done thanks to Bensenville.

I wonder how Bensenville is still solvent anyway. It has a powerful industrial base but that pales in the face of the millions on attorney's fees fighting this thing to the bitter end. Plus a huge chunk of their taxbase has been wiped out thanks to the tax-free emminet domain powers of King Daley. :cool:

Plus I may be the only one on the forums who thinks this weakened tax base may prelude to annexation. Chicago and Wood Dale can swoop in and divvy up the good stuff. :D

nomarandlee Aug 9, 2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,7071507.story

Financial woes in airline industry threaten to undermine Chicago airport expansion

By MICHAEL TARM | Associated Press Writer
5:40 AM CDT, August 9, 2008

CHICAGO (AP) _ Soaring gas prices have claimed plenty of victims — from SUV sales to stock market portfolios. They now threaten to claim another: the expansion of one of the world's busiest airports.

Chicago wants to complete the expansion of O'Hare International Airport, which relies heavily on revenue from cash-strapped airlines, by 2014 — two years before it hopes to host the Summer Olympics.

But carriers serving Chicago now appear reluctant to put up more money to finish the job because high fuel costs have cut so deeply into industry revenue, forcing airlines to raise fares, slash flights and lay off workers.

........Spokesmen for two airlines that control most of O'Hare's gates, American and United, said Friday that they continue to talk to expansion officials.

Boyd said the burden is on expansion officials to demonstrate that putting up the money will benefit airlines soon. But he's optimistic that O'Hare — with some adjustments — would secure the needed funds.........

Marcu Aug 11, 2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Man (Post 3725145)
I will never forgive the state of Illinois for not intervening in this matter. How much tax dollars have Bensenville and Chicago spent fighting over this?

I'm not sure what the state could have done or what you were looking for it to do. This is a constitutional taking issue, so it would have gone through the courts regardless of state law. Did you expect Blago to hold counseling sessions for the two cities?

LaSalle.St.Station Aug 11, 2008 4:10 AM

Painsenville

this little hamlet is pullling out all the stops. but how can u argue a case already decided at the fed level?

Chi_Coruscant Aug 11, 2008 4:09 PM

:(
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5546837.story

Judge puts demolition for O'Hare expansion on hold
By Art Barnum

Tribune reporter

9:59 AM CDT, August 11, 2008

The demolition of more than 500 Bensenville homes to make room for a new O'Hare Airport runway was delayed for at least 30 days on Monday by DuPage Judge Kenneth Popejoy.

Popejoy, who last week ruled that Chicago could begin demolition of the properties, said that he was issuing the order to allow attorneys for Bensenville to file an appeal with the 2nd District Illinois Appellate Court of his ruling.

Popejoy said that he was confident that his ruling last week was correct , "but Bensenville deserves the chance to appeal. But the delay granted by me ends on Sept. 10 and any further delay will be up to the appellate court."

Marcu Aug 16, 2008 5:09 PM

Some resident lawyer has to be doing this work for the village of Bensenville pro bono (aka as charity). There is no way Bensenville would have this kind of cash.

Mr Man Aug 24, 2008 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcu (Post 3726726)
I'm not sure what the state could have done or what you were looking for it to do. This is a constitutional taking issue, so it would have gone through the courts regardless of state law. Did you expect Blago to hold counseling sessions for the two cities?

You should read up on the amount of lawsuits being filed by Bensenville. The Eminent Domain ones were filed in the beginning and have long since been decided. Those were legitimate. Most of the new lawsuits filed by Bensenville are clearly stalling tactics. Also, the millions needed to fund Bensenville's frivolous legal battles are taxpayer funded.

The state has a lot of influence, but it has been largely absent from Chicago's battle with Bensenville. I think this shows lack of leadership. The only people benefiting from this long drawn-out legal battle are the attorneys.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 24, 2008 6:26 AM

Daley just needs to go Meigs on their asses...

VivaLFuego Aug 24, 2008 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Man (Post 3755175)
The state has a lot of influence, but it has been largely absent from Chicago's battle with Bensenville. I think this shows lack of leadership. The only people benefiting from this long drawn-out legal battle are the attorneys.

Every bit of Daley-controlled O'Hare that is expanded means less demand for a State-controlled boondoggle airport in Peotone, so why should they cooperate (or put another way, why should taxis ever treat buses kindly?).

Mr Man Aug 24, 2008 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3755511)
Every bit of Daley-controlled O'Hare that is expanded means less demand for a State-controlled boondoggle airport in Peotone, so why should they cooperate (or put another way, why should taxis ever treat buses kindly?).

Ah, politics. How could I forget? ;)

Why is the state pushing so hard for Peotone anyway? There are obvious benefits (an airport serving residents in the distant south suburbs, reducing congestion at O'Hare), but the negative consequences far exceed any benefits. (inconvenience passengers by being located far from the civilization, lack of rail infastrcture, and billions of dollars spent paving over productive farmland, etc...)