SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

CTA Gray Line Oct 7, 2014 8:12 AM

No Surprise: International Report Says Region’s Transit Not Up to Par

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/10/0...not-up-to-par/

Last month, a report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development validated what Chicago researchers, a task force convened by the governor, and millions of customers have all said for years: Transit in Chicagoland is fragmented, inefficient, and far from adequate to serve the region’s transportation needs.....

Vlajos Oct 7, 2014 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 6748773)
Let's face it, if one of them were in charge there wouldn't be much for them to take credit of. I'm most afraid of Lewis somehow winning and tanking the Lucas museum.

Back on topic, is there an estimated completion date for Cermak and for the start of demolition of Madison/Wabash?

Lewis would be a complete disaster as Mayor. My guess is with her current health issue, she will not be running.

I'm most afraid of Lewis bankrupting the city.

SamInTheLoop Oct 8, 2014 4:28 PM

^ Yes, I agree. She should focus on her health first and foremost, and then getting back to her job - one in which she is well-suited for - as teacher's uniion president. A nice and interesting person, very smart, but not right for mayor....

CTA Gray Line Oct 9, 2014 7:05 AM

Aldermen seek O'Hare express train to Union Station, McCormick Place

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...008-story.html

Five aldermen well-versed in Chicago's transportation issues on Wednesday called for yet another study to examine the feasibility and cost of launching high-quality airport express train service for O'Hare International Airport, Union Station and McCormick Place.......

LaSalle.St.Station Oct 9, 2014 10:10 AM

^ wishfull thinking isn't self funding . Only way is fed money from on high..... which only DC gets limitless. Parochial cities get scraps.....

brian_b Oct 9, 2014 1:47 PM

Does anyone know what is going on with the 18th street Metra station?

It appears as though a temporary bus transfer station is being put together along the McCormick Place busway. My guess was to route the passengers that get picked up and dropped off up onto the bridge to allow them to cross over to Soldier Field without having to do a grade-level crossing of the railroad tracks as they do now.

wierdaaron Oct 9, 2014 4:55 PM

On the subject of distance to transit, which often comes up in Chicago discussions, apparently in Manhattan the farthest you could possibly live from a subway entrance is .8 miles. And that's a building with $20m penthouses. A 17 minute walk, according to google.

CTA Gray Line Oct 9, 2014 6:09 PM

Average Metra fare to jump 68 percent over 10 years under proposal

http://breakingnews.suntimes.com/chi...nder-proposal/

The average Metra fare could jump 68 percent over 10 years under a $2.4 billion modernization plan that would bankroll upgrades to virtually Metra’s entire fleet and cover a new federal safety mandate........

Chi-Sky21 Oct 9, 2014 6:11 PM

Didn't they just jack up Metra rates 1 year or 2 ago. Getting kind of tired of this. But i guess they have other upper management people they need to pay to go away or something.

ardecila Oct 9, 2014 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 6762047)

It appears as though a temporary bus transfer station is being put together along the McCormick Place busway. My guess was to route the passengers that get picked up and dropped off up onto the bridge to allow them to cross over to Soldier Field without having to do a grade-level crossing of the railroad tracks as they do now.

There are buses that stop on the Busway at 18th?

CTA Gray Line Oct 10, 2014 8:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 6762047)

Maybe intial construction staging, even the first parts (demolition of existing facilities) will require hundreds of workers daily, and tons of heavy equipment.

They might be planning to run shuttles to/from worker parking areas.

brian_b Oct 10, 2014 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6762654)
There are buses that stop on the Busway at 18th?

For Bears games, sure.

CTA Gray Line Oct 11, 2014 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 6763828)
For Bears games, sure.

Buses provided by whom, or from what service?

ardecila Oct 13, 2014 12:33 AM

Auburn Park/79th Metra station to break ground on Spring 2015
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/ne...l#.VDsbTYm9LCQ

If everything goes well, we could have Auburn Park and Peterson/Ridge under construction next spring. The long-promised renovations to Healy are out for bid right now, too.

Plus, the west side of the new Ravenswood station is about to open, after which the work will shift to the east side. I keep waiting for a renovation of Clybourn, which desperately needs work...

brian_b Oct 13, 2014 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 6764888)
Buses provided by whom, or from what service?

Shuttle buses - from various parking lots, I would assume.

I looked out the window this morning and noticed that the southern portion of the platform was being reconstructed with no apparent staircase (like there used to be) down to ground level. More evidence that they are planning to make all bus passengers use the pedestrian bridge, which also gives flexibility to add CTA bus service there - the busway has space at the spot for buses to exit the roadway for drop offs and pick ups.

LouisVanDerWright Oct 14, 2014 2:38 PM

Well this sounds like a fairly big deal:

Quote:

Metra plans 68% fare hike to fuel $2.4 billion revamp

In a bold and perhaps politically risky step, Metra's new chairman today made his first major move to rebuild the long-troubled commuter rail agency, unveiling plans to replace hundreds of decades-old locomotives and train cars — and to pay for them, in part, by hiking passenger fares an average of 68 percent over the next decade.

Martin Oberman, the former Lincoln Park alderman who assumed the agency's top spot in February, is presenting the $2.4 billion plan to his board today. He says he believes it will be approved in concept, with specific votes on portions of the plan to follow.

In an interview in advance of the public release of the plan, Mr. Oberman strongly argued that the plan is needed for the economic health of the Chicago region.

"Big employers will simply pick another community" if Metra does not do more to rebuild a system that needs $10 billion in maintenance and renewal work, he said.

"The majority of our railcars are older than the majority of our daily commuters," with some dating back to the days when Dwight Eisenhower was president, he added. "While nobody ever likes fare increases, Metra's fares are significantly lower than our peer railroads in major cities and have not kept pace with inflation."...

More Here: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...billion-revamp

Busy Bee Oct 14, 2014 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6767631)
Well this sounds like a fairly big deal:

More Here: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...billion-revamp

God I hope there is at least SOME conversation about electrification. If precedence is any indication theyre discussing purchasing diesel hauled coaches that may be around for 40+ years. Does anyone else think it sounds crazy to be running diesel commuter trains in 2050? 2060?

LouisVanDerWright Oct 14, 2014 3:08 PM

No, I really think we need to think about going back to coal fired steam engines.

Busy Bee Oct 14, 2014 3:13 PM

Metra could start with a pilot program for the Milwaukee district mainline, using dual modes until the funds are in place to complete the entire length of the lines. The Rock Island line also seems an obvious one as there are so many closely placed stops where quick acceleration would prove very beneficial.

Mr Downtown Oct 14, 2014 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6767652)
Does anyone else think it sounds crazy to be running diesel commuter trains in 2050? 2060?

No, fixed-plant electrification is an enormous cost for the tiniest of increments in greenhouse gases (that electricity has to be generated somewhere, somehow). In fact, when you consider transmission loss from distant power plants, it's doubtful there's any improvement at all. Lots of other things—natural gas or turbine prime movers, regenerative braking—could be done for a fraction of the cost, if emissions is your worry.

I think it will be an interesting discussion when the time comes—soon—to reconstruct the Metra Electric overhead.