SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2021 1:50 AM

IMHO the vaccination news in the US is very good--we are now giving 2.5 million shots per day.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...686729/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...686734/enhance
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/

Again, these percentages are of the total population. Multiply by 1.3 in the US to get percentage of those over 18.

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2021 8:20 PM

Quote:

Covid-19 Separates Two Towns: Maine Is Homesick for Canada
By Jon Kamp | Photographs by Ashley L. Conti for The Wall Street Journal
March 14, 2021 6:30 am ET

Residents living near the river dividing Madawaska, Maine, from Canada say the international border has long been more concept than barrier. People crossed the 100-year-old bridge to Edmundston, New Brunswick, easily each day to shop, visit family and head to work.

But a year after Covid-19 caused tight travel restrictions, the border remains a major impediment to these remote, interwoven communities and many others like them. Canadians are no longer streaming into Maine for cheaper American goods like gasoline and milk. And families that straddle the border have been cut off . . . .

Madawaska, population about 3,700, sits atop Maine along the Saint John River. The nearest of Maine’s larger cities, Bangor, is 200 miles south. Under normal times, residents can walk into Edmundston, home to about 16,000.

These communities are tied so closely they share a paper plant, with a mill on the Canadian side that pipes pulp to Madawaska to make products like burger wrappers and pharmaceutical inserts. They also share an Acadian heritage, typically celebrated with summer festivals. Cross-border marriages are common . . . .

The U.S. significantly restricted border entries on March 21, 2020, when the Covid-19 crisis was ramping up. Commercial traffic and essential workers still cross, but more casual visits—the trips for dairy products or to visit an elderly parent—have been largely restricted. The U.S. limits are currently set to expire later this month, but have been steadily extended through the pandemic.

About 3.3 million people poured through borders into Maine by car, bus, train or on foot 2019, federal data show. But the number plunged 79% to about 700,000 last year, and Canadian border data also show significant drops in incoming travel. Maine’s Office of Tourism estimates Canadian visitation tumbled by about 80% on the year, costing the state about $1 billion.

There is a small border station on the Madawaska side of the bridge where visitors stop to check in. That hasn’t changed, but restrictions have . . . .

The closures have caused personal strain, keeping loved ones far apart even if they only live a short drive away, said Eric Marquis, Edmundston’s deputy mayor. “All of these things are starting to take their toll,” he said . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...5714201?page=1

Doady Mar 14, 2021 8:57 PM

A COVID outbreak at an Amazon warehouse along a busy bus route in Brampton, and another in a condo in Mississauga, all while prices while the prices of single-family homes are skyrocketing and condo prices are dropping in the Toronto area. Even suburbs like Brampton and Mississauga are showing that higher densities and transit may not be such good things after all, and more and more people here are realizing that.

For those not from Toronto who may not know, Brampton is a suburb of 600,000 with not even one public east-west freeway, leading to overcrowded east-west bus routes such as Steeles Ave. Mississauga is a suburb of 700,000 with over 300 high-rise buildings (according the SSP database) and an LRT line with no connection to Toronto being constructed. Over time, people will not look kindly at all these efforts to increase transit ridership and density, and the lack of investment in roads in favour of transit - heavy-handed but futile efforts to promote "urban living" that did little but put them at higher risk of infection.

Brampton suspending bus route, testing drivers after 9 COVID-19 cases linked to Amazon warehouse outbreak
Quote:

TORONTO -- Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown says a transit route will be temporarily suspended with a large number of bus drivers undergoing COVID-19 testing following a major outbreak at a "large logistics business" in the city.

A source tells CP24 the outbreak occurred at Amazon Fulfillment Centre YYZ3, located at the corner of Steeles Avenue West and Winston Churchill Boulevard.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/brampton-...reak-1.5339566

Variant outbreak at condo may be linked to common areas: Peel's top doc
Five separate cases of the variant B.1.351 variant were confirmed in one central Mississauga condo building, and the remaining residents were being tested Monday
Quote:

Apartment and condo residents are reminded to follow public health precautions while in common areas of their buildings after an outbreak of the highly-contagious South African variant in Mississauga, Peel Region Medical Officer of Health Dr. Lawrence Loh says.

Five separate cases of the variant B.1.351 variant were confirmed in one central Mississauga condo building — located at 385 Prince of Wales Dr. — and the remaining residents were being tested Monday.
https://torontosun.com/news/provinci...-peels-top-doc

Single-family home sales and prices way up in Toronto while condo sales remain tough
Quote:

Prices, too, continue to skyrocket, up to an average of an unaffordable $955,615 — 13.3 per cent more expensive year-over-year.

All of this is thanks to the sales of single-family homes, which have hit record highs lately, with semi-detached houses in particular driving the sales increase (numbers were up a 33.9 per cent from last year) and detached houses driving the price increase (prices were up 15.2 per cent overall from last year).

The condo market, on the other hand, has been cooling for a few months now, with sales in November up only marginally — less than one per cent in the GTA overall — and prices actually down year-over-year, largely due to a flooded market that saw nearly double the number of listings this November than last.
https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...sales-toronto/

Pedestrian Mar 14, 2021 9:29 PM

Quote:

South Africa’s Drop in Covid-19 Cases Adds to Questions About Waves of Infections
By Gabriele Steinhauser
March 14, 2021 11:00 am ET

JOHANNESBURG—Earlier this year, doctors and epidemiologists in South Africa’s economic capital were bracing for the worst. A new coronavirus strain was surging across the country, thousands of holidaymakers were due to return from Covid-19 hot spots, and one in three coronavirus tests was coming back positive.

Then something unexpected happened: Covid-19 cases started dropping.

Since mid-January, confirmed Covid-19 infections in South Africa have fallen from a record of nearly 22,000 a day to around 1,000, without a large-scale vaccination campaign or stringent lockdown. Fewer than 5% of Covid-19 tests are finding traces of the virus, a sign that health agencies are missing fewer cases. The government has lifted most of its remaining virus restrictions for the country of 60 million people.

The cause of this steep decline in cases remains somewhat of a mystery. As in other countries that have at some point experienced surprising drops in Covid-19 cases—such as India, Pakistan and some parts of Brazil—epidemiologists and virologists are piecing together different explanations for why the outbreak in South Africa isn’t following patterns set elsewhere.

Those range from important population groups reaching sufficient levels of immunity to slow down transmission, to people sticking more closely to social-distancing rules, such as wearing masks and voluntarily reducing contacts, when deaths were mounting before the decline . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-a...ns-11615734003

jtown,man Mar 14, 2021 11:05 PM

Cases rising are going to mean less and less over the next month or so.

The most vulnerable have or are being vaccinated. So if a bunch of young adults get it from partying the case rate may go up but deaths will not.

I'm getting mine on Friday.

homebucket Mar 15, 2021 5:26 PM

Quote:

Texas restaurant covered in racist graffiti after owner continues requiring masks
ShaCamree Gowdy
March 15, 2021

A Texas restaurant owner publicly opposed Governor Greg Abbott's decision to lift the state mask mandate — and his place of business suffered for it.

Mike Nguyen, owner of The Noodle Tree ramen restaurant in San Antonio, called the governor's decision "selfish" during a CNN interview.

"I will say that the governor doesn't have us Texans' [best] interest at play at this point," said Nguyen. "I think it's more of a personal interest, I think the decision to drop the mask mandate is selfish and cowardly and there's no reason to do it. Dropping the mask mandate will not help the economy, it will not help us open and a lot of us feel that he's putting a lot of us in danger."

A few days later Nguyen's business was vandalized with racist graffiti, according to Newsweek's Christina Zhao.

Photos shared to Facebook by Elder Eats KSAT 12 showed graffiti covering the windows of the restaurant that included the words, "No Mask," "Kung Flu," "Commie," "Hope U Die" and "Ramen Noodle Flu."

"We are Texans and what we do especially in San Antonio is have each others back during times of need. We do the right thing," Nguyen wrote in a post. "Our governor has betrayed us but that doesn't mean we have to follow him blindly. ...We can stand United and do what's right because we are Texan, we are Texas y'all."

Nguyen's words proved true, and the racist incident prompting people to patronize The Noodle Tree. In a post shared via Facebook stories, the restaurant thanked San Antonians for their support and said they were slammed with orders. They eventually sold out of everything and had to close for the night.
https://www.sfgate.com/nation/articl...e-16026768.php

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 5:38 PM

^ The owner of that restaurant sounds like a butthead.

Dropping the mask mandate doesn't mean "don't wear a mask". You can still wear a mask, and still require it for people to enter your business.

People need to stop being political. I was watching Joe Rogan the other day who was interviewing a gentleman (forgot his name), the guy was on an airplane heading to Dallas and the flight attendant warned him "Watch out for Texas, it's wild out there".

When get got off the plane, he says literally EVERYBODY was wearing masks.

People are still not getting the difference between a Government mandate versus people's behavior. You can still wear a mask without a mandate.

iheartthed Mar 15, 2021 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9218441)
^ The owner of that restaurant sounds like a butthead.

Dropping the mask mandate doesn't mean "don't wear a mask". You can still wear a mask, and still require it for people to enter your business.

People need to stop being political. I was watching Joe Rogan the other day who was interviewing a gentleman (forgot his name), the guy was on an airplane heading to Dallas and the flight attendant warned him "Watch out for Texas, it's wild out there".

People are still not getting the difference between a Government mandate versus people's behavior. You can still wear a mask without a mandate.

Or the governor could've kept the mandate in place according to federal guidelines.

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 5:47 PM

^ An obvious response

But he didn't. Get over it. It's 2021, March, and the people who are going to wear masks are already wearing them. People who aren't, won't--regardless of (perhaps even in retaliation to) mandates.

Up is up, down is down. Grass is green, the sky is blue. Blah blah blah this is getting old. We really don't need any more lessons

iheartthed Mar 15, 2021 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9218454)
^ An obvious response

But he didn't. Get over it. It's 2021, March, and the people who are going to wear masks are already wearing them. People who aren't, won't--regardless of (perhaps even in retaliation to) mandates.

Up is up, down is down. Grass is green, the sky is blue. Blah blah blah this is getting old. We really don't need any more lessons

And the governor should be criticized for ignoring guidelines. Why is that so hard to acknowledge?

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9218505)
And he should be criticized for ignoring guidelines. Why is that so hard to acknowledge?

Can I have a hug?

I don't know about y'all, but 1st warm day (having been vaccinated months ago, and after my parents get their second shots), I'm headed to a bar and I'm going to drink the biggest pint o swag you'll ever see

God bless beer and drinking at bars.

iheartthed Mar 15, 2021 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9218509)
Can I have a hug?

I don't know about y'all, but 1st warm day (having been vaccinated months ago, and after my parents get their second shots), I'm headed to a bar and I'm going to drink the biggest pint o swag you'll ever see

God bless beer and drinking at bars.

It was a serious question, and I'll ask another: why is the restaurant owner a "butthead" and not the governor? When it was the governor that made the restaurant owner's job harder by not continuing the mask mandate. Isn't the job of government to make citizens lives easier?

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 6:48 PM

^ I'll also ask a serious question:

Ooops I forgot. I have COVID brain fog..... :(

iheartthed Mar 15, 2021 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9218538)
^ I'll also ask a serious question:

Ooops I forgot. I have COVID brain fog..... :(

So you're a troll?

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9218545)
So you're a troll?

Yes but no worries, I'm wearing my mask

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/af...d759757c9d.jpg

homebucket Mar 15, 2021 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9218441)
I was watching Joe Rogan the other day who was interviewing a gentleman (forgot his name), the guy was on an airplane heading to Dallas and the flight attendant warned him "Watch out for Texas, it's wild out there".

I posted this in the COVID thread yesterday:

Just went on a 3 min walk to my LBS (local boba shop) since I was craving some milk tea. On my way I encountered about 15 pedestrians, 3 cyclists, and 3 joggers. 10 out of the 15 pedestrians weren’t wearing masks. None of the cyclists or joggers were wearing masks. Saw a man with his daughter at the park playground and a guy shooting hoops and a woman chilling on the grass reading a book. No masks.

This is in one of the densest cities and the most liberal in the US.

So I find it very difficult to believe when people claim that in X city, people literally everywhere are wearing masks.

the urban politician Mar 15, 2021 7:57 PM

^ But that's outdoors. Outdoor masking is............................

Dumb

I am about as pro-mask as anyone you'll meet. And I will tell you: if you are outdoors going for a jog, and you are wearing a mask, then you're just being a fool. That, my friend is called:

Hygiene theatre

Pedestrian Mar 15, 2021 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9217776)
Cases rising are going to mean less and less over the next month or so.

The most vulnerable have or are being vaccinated. So if a bunch of young adults get it from partying the case rate may go up but deaths will not.

I'm getting mine on Friday.

Or not.

We HOPE it's as you say and not the rise of some variant that can overcome the immunity of the vaccinated and recovered in the heretofore susceptible groups.

It takes further and continuing analysis to be sure.

SlidellWx Mar 15, 2021 8:34 PM

13.4% of metro New Orleans is now fully vaccinated according the latest figures released by the Louisiana Dept. of Health today. https://ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/

Pedestrian Mar 15, 2021 8:54 PM

Some things in America may never be the same again and it makes me very, very sad.

Quote:

The Met Opera’s Musicians, Unpaid Since April, Are Struggling
By Julia Jacobs
March 15, 2021, 1:00 p.m. ET

As the months without a paycheck wore on, Joel Noyes, a 41-year-old cellist with the Metropolitan Opera, realized that in order to keep making his mortgage payments he would have to sell one of his most valuable possessions: his 19th-century Russian bow. He reluctantly switched back to the inferior one he had used as a child . . . .

The Metropolitan Opera House has been dark for a year, and its musicians have gone unpaid for almost as long. The players in one of the finest orchestras in the world suddenly found themselves relying on unemployment benefits, scrambling for virtual teaching gigs, selling the tools of their trade and looking for cheaper housing. About 40 percent left the New York area. More than a tenth retired.

After the musicians had been furloughed for months, the Met offered them reduced pay in the short term if they agreed to long-term cuts that the company, which estimates that it has lost $150 million in earned revenues, says it will need to survive. When the musicians resisted, the Met offered to begin temporarily paying them up to $1,534 a week — less than half their old pay, but something — if they simply returned to the bargaining table, a proposal the musicians are weighing.

Now the Met’s increasingly rancorous labor battles — it has locked out its stagehands, and outsourced some set construction to Wales — are adding more uncertainty to the question of when the opera house can reopen after its long pandemic shutdown.

The toll on the players has been steep . . . .

The Met, which was financially fragile even before the virus, was forced to shut its doors on March 12, 2020, and it furloughed most of its workers, including those in its orchestra and chorus, in April. (It continued to pay for their health coverage.) In the fall, the Met presented an offer to its employees: it would resume partial payments in exchange for significant long-term pay cuts and concessions. The unions resisted. By the end of the year the Met orchestra was the only major ensemble without a deal to receive pandemic pay, according to the International Conference of Symphony and Opera Musicians.

Then, in December, the company locked out its roughly 300 stagehands after their union, Local One of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, rejected the Met’s proposed pay cuts. (In a letter to the union last year, Peter Gelb, the Met’s general manager, wrote that the average full-time stagehand cost the Met $260,000 in 2019, including benefits.)

Mr. Gelb said that the company had no choice but to seek cuts when the pandemic left it in a perilous financial situation . . . .

Many orchestras have reached agreements for substantial, lasting pay cuts, including the New York Philharmonic, whose musicians agreed to 25 percent cuts to their base pay through August 2023. Mr. Krauthamer said that the Met Orchestra’s union had put forward its own proposal, which would cut pay but preserve work rules that the Met was seeking to change.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/15/a...-pandemic.html

The San Francisco Opera is surviving by doing "drive-through" performances this spring, starting the "The Barber of Seville" across the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County. They have promised to keep supporting their orchestra and other employees through the pandemic and are, I hope, in somewhat better shape than the Met due to some wealthy and enthusiastic Bay Area donors.