SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:38 AM

[QUOTE=Acajack;8898469]
Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898398)

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?

Tellement!

llamaorama Apr 20, 2020 1:49 AM

I feel like most sushi isn't that special, except for eel. I went to a coworker's birthday, got an unagi plate, holy shit...If we are being honest, japanese food while good is often overpriced for what you get. It's sort of like french cuisine, just because its japanese you get some huge price markup for no reason.

As for the 10k couch, if 10023 is making $$$ then furniture isn't exactly a waste, especially furniture that lasts a really long time. I have my grandparent's midcentury modern danish furniture in my living room now, its 60 years old. Things that separate your ass from the ground are worth it, is a solidly blue collar idea. Your mattress, your tires, your shoes, and a sofa qualify.

JManc Apr 20, 2020 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamaorama (Post 8898481)

As for the 10k couch, if 10023 is making $$$ then furniture isn't exactly a waste, especially furniture that lasts a really long time. I have my grandparent's midcentury modern danish furniture in my living room now, its 60 years old. Things that separate your ass from the ground are worth it, is a solidly blue collar idea. Your mattress, your tires, your shoes, and a sofa qualify.

Yeah, he says a lot of tone deaf stuff but spending decent money on a quality sofa is not something I'd hold against him. Hopefully he doesn't have cats. My wife spent a small fortune on high end furniture and her cats shredded most of it.

Jonesy55 Apr 20, 2020 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8897990)
They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

When the government says 'exercise' it isn't meaning only those people doing high intensity cardio workouts, they specifically mention mental health as a reason for doing it and that can just be a walk or bike ride in the park with children.

Pedestrian Apr 20, 2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8897990)
They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

LOL. You want to lock the old people away "for their own good" and keep the children and families out of the parks, all so you can do what you want unimpeded.

Your self-centeredness is so extreme as to make one think you are simply trolling us all. It's hard to believe anyone expressing these attitudes could expect to be taken seriously.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8898530)
Yeah, he says a lot of tone deaf stuff but spending decent money on a quality sofa is not something I'd hold against him. Hopefully he doesn't have cats. My wife spent a small fortune on high end furniture and her cats shredded most of it.

For me at least it is just an easy way to tease him.

All in good fun!

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:40 PM

[QUOTE=Acajack;8898469]
Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898398)

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?

Sofa and armchair.

And the difference is that people here on SSP have been able to make that joke for a decade now, but the sofa is still stood good as new while the sushi would have definitely gone off...

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8898623)
LOL. You want to lock the old people away "for their own good" and keep the children and families out of the parks, all so you can do what you want unimpeded.

Your self-centeredness is so extreme as to make one think you are simply trolling us all. It's hard to believe anyone expressing these attitudes could expect to be taken seriously.

Yes, the bit about old people always getting in the way is a good one.

Funny, in my mind, the knuckleheads are those speeding bikers in bike paths that narrow or curve in areas where small children are meant to be safe riding with their parents.

Racing bikers who push it to the limit on higher density bike lanes and paths are the uncivil, dangerous ones, not the other way around.

I ride an ebike that is really fast, when I use it to speed, it is never in the more urban dense and mixed crowded paths. This sort of attitude is equivalent to small streets versus highways for motorized vehicles.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898691)
Sofa and armchair.

And the difference is that people here on SSP have been able to make that joke for a decade now, but the sofa is still stood good as new while the sushi would have definitely gone off...

You have to admit you make for an irresistible tête de turc* with that one!

*Our language is so un-PC it's not even funny.

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8898623)

Keeping children out of parks is about making social distancing work.

For one thing, parents with kids means a larger group of people, rather than just a couple, who are bound to take up more space on a path which might be narrow.

Kids also can’t even keep a straight line on foot, nor do they have the presence of mind to keep to one side in order to allow sufficient separation from a person passing in the other direction. When they’re weaving around on a bike, it’s completely impossible.

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8898695)
You have to admit you make for an irresistible tête de turc* with that one!

*Our language is so un-PC it's not even funny.

It doesn’t bother me at all. Like many people here I like design, so I bought a couple pieces of furniture that are in the MoMA permanent collection (among others) and which I will own for a long time.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 1:53 PM

[QUOTE=10023;8898691]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8898469)
Sofa and armchair.

Yes, I agree with your take on this.

I have spent a lot on having older high quality sofas reupholstered over the years. You can get a new lease on life for the good stuff. Much of what I have is from my parents, Scandinavian from the early fifties, and period styles that were redone by the same upholsterer we have been using for forty years. Now that our kids are grown, their latest iteration may last a little longer...

10023 Apr 20, 2020 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898692)
Yes, the bit about old people always getting in the way is a good one.

But they do.

Imagine a path in the park that is 10 feet wide. A couple could walk right next to each other on one side, and another person could pass on the far side with 6 feet of space between the “strangers”. When that couple is instead walking 3 feet apart from each other, and 3 feet from either edge of the path, they are blocking it completely.

Older people are far more likely to be guilty of this, speaking as someone who has run in my local Royal Park at least a couple of times each week for 7 years. It’s a frustration because this is almost as much of an asshole move in normal times as it is with the virus. They just don’t seem to understand, or care, how to share space.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898701)
It doesn’t bother me at all. Like many people here I like design, so I bought a couple pieces of furniture that are in the MoMA permanent collection (among others) and which I will own for a long time.

Self-awareness is endearing to me, so... :tup:

Crawford Apr 20, 2020 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898697)
Keeping children out of parks is about making social distancing work.

Kids need activity spaces for recreation, though.

Younger children have tons of pent-up energy, and can't be reasoned with. Older folks don't have the same needs and can follow guidelines.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898706)
But they do.

Imagine a path in the park that is 10 feet wide. A couple could walk right next to each other on one side, and another person could pass on the far side with 6 feet of space between the “strangers”. When that couple is instead walking 3 feet apart from each other, and 3 feet from either edge of the path, they are blocking it completely.

Older people are far more likely to be guilty of this, speaking as someone who has run in my local Royal Park at least a couple of times each week for 7 years. It’s a frustration because this is almost as much of an asshole move in normal times as it is with the virus. They just don’t seem to understand, or care, how to share space.

Yes, well it could be that some in that fringe of older folks were hippies in the late sixties and are used to that sort of happy-go-lucky stride. We have become more constrained and regimented in some ways.

mousquet Apr 20, 2020 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8898732)
Yes, well it could be that some in that fringe of older folks were hippies in the late sixties and are used to that sort of happy-go-lucky stride. We have become more constrained and regimented in some ways.

That's a myth. I'm astonished so many would still believe in that legend; quite sure those people who grew up in the 1960s were far more manipulative and hypocritical than they would ever admit it to themselves. They always lied even to themselves.
I mean, they've been ruling the world as it is now... So what? Nothing amazing.

Contemporary management designed by engineers raised in the 1990s is both more libre-entreprise and protective.

It only requires you to be productive, which is fair. At least, it won't deceive you. You know exactly what to expect from it. Doesn't cause any unpleasant surprise.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8898749)
That's a myth. I'm astonished so many would still believe in that legend; quite sure those people who grew up in the 1960s were far more manipulative and hypocritical than they would ever admit it to themselves. They always lied even to themselves.
I mean, they've been ruling the world as it is now... So what? Nothing amazing.

Contemporary management designed by engineers raised in the 1990s is both more libre-entreprise and protective.

It only requires you to be productive, which is fair. At least, it won't deceive you. You know exactly what to expect from it. Doesn't cause any unpleasant surprise.

Yes, but I'm talking about the commune types, not the diluted version of communards, the soixante-huitards that had a political agenda. Cohn-Bendit wasn't the flower power type, you've got it all wrong, the small time hippies had sex and cheap perfume and bad weed to get them through the corporate BS.

Probably the finest people that ever walked this earth, or ever will. Lol

mousquet Apr 20, 2020 5:31 PM

^ Comme l'autre guignol de psycho devenu ultra célèbre faute d'un quelconque talent...?
Ah ouais, Charles Manson. C'est ce genre-là qui me venait à l'esprit.
Ton Cohn-Bendit, c'est presque un innocent en vrai, hein.

Puis si t'es tellement frustré de la baise, ben j'sais pas moi, euuuh... Fais-toi séduisant. Fais quelque-chose, ma gueule. Fais ta vie.

Faites chier à la fin avec vos frustrations.

montréaliste Apr 20, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8898896)
^ Comme l'autre guignol de psycho devenu ultra célèbre faute d'un quelconque talent...?
Ah ouais, Charles Manson. C'est ce genre-là qui me venait à l'esprit.
Ton Cohn-Bendit, c'est presque un innocent en vrai, hein.

Puis si t'es tellement frustré de la baise, ben j'sais pas moi, euuuh... Fais-toi séduisant. Fais quelque-chose, ma gueule. Fais ta vie.

Faites chier à la fin avec vos frustrations.

Là, tu t'emporte pour un manque d'humeur, d'humour et de pilules.

Faut pas s'imaginer des trucs, je sais que ta piaule confinatoire, c'est pt'êt' pas l'paradis, mais faut pas 'zagérer quand même.