SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8915151)
So I noticed the office building at Oak and 44th St. is being torn down. Does anyone know what's replacing it? I know there are apartments under construction behind it. While architecturally it wasn't anything significant...it did sit on the hard corner with no set backs. A rarity in this town. It will be too bad if what ever replaces it has surface parking on the hard corner.

It's going to be a QuickTrip. I'm not joking (Phoenix project ID 19-3960). What a waste.

ASU Diablo May 7, 2020 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 8915156)
It's going to be a QuickTrip. I'm not joking (Phoenix project ID 19-3960). What a waste.

WOW. With Costco Gas literally across the street? wtf

biggus diggus May 7, 2020 5:17 PM

QT has been trying to get into that neighborhood ever since they were shot down at Palm and 44th.

I am a Costco member and frequent their stores but I would never buy gas at any of them, too long a line and the service foreman at Porsche North Scottsdale advised strongly against it. This was probably back in 2013 or so and I suppose things might be different but he told me Chevron or QT are the only fuels I should be buying, so that's what I do.

Trust me, QT will do great at that location. Lots of taxis and town car type taxis going to and from the airport will fill up there. Not to mention I think a lot of people want to get a snack or a drink while they fill up. Also, I'm far from the only person who doesn't view Costco gas as an option, even in a pinch.

They'll be fine.

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8915256)
QT has been trying to get into that neighborhood ever since they were shot down at Palm and 44th.

I am a Costco member and frequent their stores but I would never buy gas at any of them, too long a line and the service foreman at Porsche North Scottsdale advised strongly against it. This was probably back in 2013 or so and I suppose things might be different but he told me Chevron or QT are the only fuels I should be buying, so that's what I do.

Actually, the owner of Goodspeed in Scottsdale whom is highly regarded as one of the premiere sports car tuners in the nation and where I go for all my performance questions, highly recommended Costco gas to me for my Audi when I was adding heavy modifications to it. Tried it quite a few times and it ran very well. I would get very bad pinging/detonation with Circle K gas and had mixed results with Chevron and Fry's. I only quit Costco gas because I am no longer a member there. It has something to do with that Costco gas sits the least amount of time in the tanks compared to other stations, so it is much more fresh than other stations where gas can sit longer in the tanks and become less potent. Of course this is 91 octane which probably sits longer than 87. I have read this from a lot of other sources as well. Anyway, I digress since this isn't an automotive forum ;)

Quote:

Trust me, QT will do great at that location. Lots of taxis and town car type taxis going to and from the airport will fill up there. Not to mention I think a lot of people want to get a snack or a drink while they fill up. Also, I'm far from the only person who doesn't view Costco gas as an option, even in a pinch.

They'll be fine.
For me, it wasn't a matter of if QT will do fine against Costco (they will do very well). I just hate to see an office building demo'd for a gas station. Seems like something better could have been done on that spot, especially with the empty lot next door finally being developed after many years. The area is prime for redevelopment.

Buckeye Native 001 May 7, 2020 5:34 PM

Couple of things:

Will that downtown Goodwill have a jobs training program? The one in Flagstaff offers a pretty good program that we've referred a lot of clients to. Maybe it'd be helpful?

It'd be real nice if we could ever get a damn QT up in Flagstaff. Not sure why there aren't any.

I drive a 2008 Honda Fit and only fill it up with Chevron gas. I swear that somehow I get better gas mileage and other than an ignition coil misfiring in 2014 (that was my own fault for not buying the right size for the car), haven't ever had any engine issues.

Finally, is that Costco the one that's closest to the Costco closing at ChrisTown?

biggus diggus May 7, 2020 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 8915272)
Actually, the owner of Goodspeed in Scottsdale whom is highly regarded as one of the premiere sports car tuners in the nation and where I go for all my performance questions, highly recommended Costco gas to me for my Audi when I was adding heavy modifications to it. Tried it quite a few times and it ran very well. I would get very bad pinging/detonation with Circle K gas and had mixed results with Chevron and Fry's. I only quit Costco gas because I am no longer a member there. It has something to do with that Costco gas sits the least amount of time in the tanks compared to other stations, so it is much more fresh than other stations where gas can sit longer in the tanks and become less potent. Of course this is 91 octane which probably sits longer than 87. I have read this from a lot of other sources as well. Anyway, I digress since this isn't an automotive forum ;)

I'm actually curious, Jon told you that? I've never talked to him about detonation issues on any of my cars as I've never had them. He's a smart guy and I trust him. He put new suspension on my Skyline and lost a part (an employee threw it away accidentally) and he was up front and transparent and fixed it as his cost.

Love that shop.

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8915286)
I'm actually curious, Jon told you that? I've never talked to him about detonation issues on any of my cars as I've never had them. He's a smart guy and I trust him. He put new suspension on my Skyline and lost a part (an employee threw it away accidentally) and he was up front and transparent and fixed it as his cost.

Love that shop.

Ah! Glad you know Jon! He's always been great to me. Even helped me get a re flash of my ECU from APR when my old ECU went bad free of charge. As for as Costco, that was his recommendation about 5 years ago when I had everything done. I'm not sure if it's still his current choice. But I wouldn't think much has changed.

Oh, and the Skyline :cheers:

Sunsfan87 May 7, 2020 5:49 PM

One Camelback

It looks like One Camelback updates their Facebook and Instagram pages more than their website. They have some updated photos and different unit schematics/layouts that I haven’t seen before. I also drove by there the other day and it appears they are in full construction mode.

https://m.facebook.com/LiveOneCamelb...ernal&mt_nav=0

https://www.instagram.com/liveonecam...=1iqzvyebtlrej

Ballister May 7, 2020 6:51 PM

From construction of a QT to their gas sucks cause some guy said so. Hey, my friend says it’s ok and loves Costco. Marvelous. Next please...

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballister (Post 8915361)
From construction of a QT to their gas sucks cause some guy said so. Hey, my friend says it’s ok and loves Costco. Marvelous. Next please...

:koko:

Mr.RE May 7, 2020 9:16 PM

Phoenix City Council votes unanimously to back controversial $85M condo tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...BnPT0ifQ%3D%3D

A controversial condominium tower four years in the making has received unanimous approval from the Phoenix City Council.

At a virtual zoning hearing that lasted about two hours on May 6, Council gave the green light to Scottsdale-based Sunbelt Holdings Inc. to build an $85 million condominium on what currently is a parking lot at Phoenix Country Club at the northeast corner of Seventh Street and Thomas Road.

Over the past four years, the project has had seven public hearings and roughly 20 private neighborhood meetings, said Jason Morris, a partner for Withey Morris PLC and zoning attorney representing Sunbelt Holdings on the case.

In addition to a litany of neighbors providing public comment at the virtual meeting both for and against the project, Council also received about 114 letters of support, Morris said.

The turning point for opposing neighbors was understanding the significant and necessary economic injection of $85 million this project will bring to this area, he said.

Called The Residences at the Phoenix Country Club, the condo tower will be 110 feet tall and have 125 units.

It originally started at 164 feet, but after an outcry from neighbors who chanted "height is blight," John Graham, president and CEO of Sunbelt Holdings, agreed to limit the height to 110 feet.

The first two levels will be a podium with an amenity deck, topped by seven more floors for a total of nine floors, Morris said.

In his 35 years of real estate development, Graham had said he has never faced such a contentious rezoning case.

"I have certainly gotten my fair share of blowback," he told the Business Journal in March 2019 when he agreed to lower the height. "In this business, you have to be diplomatic and resilient."

It took a lot of negotiation on both sides to get the project done, Morris said.

Because stay-at-home orders during the Covid-19 pandemic could impact how long it takes for the city to work through the planning process, it's too early to determine exactly when construction will begin, he said.

"Typically, it would be nine to 12 months before there were able to move any dirt," he said.

The new condominium will provide an opportunity for the Phoenix Country Club to recruit new members, he said.

Membership for the club has been going down over the past few years.

"But what you're seeing now is an effort by all the country clubs to bring in new young families that can grow with the country club," Morris said. "There will be a relationship between the condo owner and the club. You can imagine it was a huge motivating factor for the country club because of the potential for membership expansion."

Thinking about the project, Morris said he could imagine living there.

"The idea of being able to walk out of your front door to every amenity the country club has is very attractive," he said.

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 9:19 PM

PBJ article on the Phoenix Country Club development that was passed by city council.

Quote:

Phoenix City Council votes unanimously to back controversial $85M condo tower

By Angela Gonzales – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
May 7, 2020, 1:55pm MST

A controversial condominium tower four years in the making has received unanimous approval from the Phoenix City Council.

At a virtual zoning hearing that lasted about two hours on May 6, Council gave the green light to Scottsdale-based Sunbelt Holdings Inc. to build an $85 million condominium on what currently is a parking lot at Phoenix Country Club at the northeast corner of Seventh Street and Thomas Road.

Over the past four years, the project has had seven public hearings and roughly 20 private neighborhood meetings, said Jason Morris, a partner for Withey Morris PLC and zoning attorney representing Sunbelt Holdings on the case.

In addition to a litany of neighbors providing public comment at the virtual meeting both for and against the project, Council also received about 114 letters of support, Morris said.

The turning point for opposing neighbors was understanding the significant and necessary economic injection of $85 million this project will bring to this area, he said.

Called The Residences at the Phoenix Country Club, the condo tower will be 110 feet tall and have 125 units.

It originally started at 164 feet, but after an outcry from neighbors who chanted "height is blight," John Graham, president and CEO of Sunbelt Holdings, agreed to limit the height to 110 feet.

The first two levels will be a podium with an amenity deck, topped by seven more floors for a total of nine floors, Morris said.

In his 35 years of real estate development, Graham had said he has never faced such a contentious rezoning case.

"I have certainly gotten my fair share of blowback," he told the Business Journal in March 2019 when he agreed to lower the height. "In this business, you have to be diplomatic and resilient."

It took a lot of negotiation on both sides to get the project done, Morris said.

Because stay-at-home orders during the Covid-19 pandemic could impact how long it takes for the city to work through the planning process, it's too early to determine exactly when construction will begin, he said.

"Typically, it would be nine to 12 months before there were able to move any dirt," he said.

The new condominium will provide an opportunity for the Phoenix Country Club to recruit new members, he said.

Membership for the club has been going down over the past few years.

"But what you're seeing now is an effort by all the country clubs to bring in new young families that can grow with the country club," Morris said. "There will be a relationship between the condo owner and the club. You can imagine it was a huge motivating factor for the country club because of the potential for membership expansion."

Thinking about the project, Morris said he could imagine living there.

"The idea of being able to walk out of your front door to every amenity the country club has is very attractive," he said.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...y-to-back.html

Mr.RE May 7, 2020 10:24 PM

Just beat you to it Ronnie ;)

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RE (Post 8915583)
Just beat you to it Ronnie ;)

I noticed! :cheers:

mdpx May 7, 2020 11:21 PM

Wow, great news, but secretly wanting to hear more about gas purity at Costco from “the experts.”

gymratmanaz May 7, 2020 11:46 PM

Costco has gas? :)

Phxguy May 8, 2020 12:07 AM

Lol I thought we all took the choo-choo to get around

CrestedSaguaro May 8, 2020 3:31 PM

Hey! At least our gas conversation didn't get political! :haha:

gymratmanaz May 8, 2020 4:08 PM

Costco colors have BLUE and QT are RED....... there, political now. LOL. :)

azsunsurfer May 8, 2020 4:25 PM

I appreciate that Quiktrip has a culture that they take pride in their stores, although I know some "inner-city" locations are less than stellar -that's a result of the demographics of the area and not the company itself. The employees are always working to keep the place clean and always are nice. Much better than those disgusting Circle Ks.