SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Nov 7, 2017 5:27 PM

thanks for these updates Obadno!!!!

Obadno Nov 7, 2017 8:14 PM

Capitol Mall Development

Looks like the state capitol is looking to build some new offices and spur some development out west of downtown along the alleged new lightrail line.

What business does the state have building new things when they have budge issues....WHO CARES the point is we are getting some new buildings :cheers:

http://azbex.com/adoa-looks-into-p3s...mall-projects/

https://procure.az.gov/bso/external/...Url=activeBids

Looks like they hope to start with tearing down and rebuilding some older office buildings as well as building a few new ones. They are seeking companies to build and run the buildings while the state retains ownership of the land. according to the documents they are open to the potential of mixed use non-state enterprises.

I think this are is great for downtown expansion from 7th Ave onward.

nickw252 Nov 7, 2017 9:35 PM

I used to work for the state government in the capitol mall (Department of Revenue). It was embarrassing how bad those buildings were from both a design standpoint and a mechanical standpoint.

stutteringpunk Nov 7, 2017 9:40 PM

Does anyone have the info from this:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...roject-in.html

Obadno Nov 7, 2017 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 7979161)
Does anyone have the info from this:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...roject-in.html

Go back a page or two it was discussed.

The Dispute is between the owner of the Market and the owner of the building,

the sub-leased restaurants are still in agreement, whoever owns the US bank building is trying to remove the middle man it looks like.

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2017 9:52 PM

does a commercial lease in Arizona not work like residential? If I end a lease with a tenant and they are subleasing to someone, that person has to go as well.

The sublease has no legal standing with the owner or landlord.

stutteringpunk Nov 7, 2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7979175)
Go back a page or two it was discussed.

The Dispute is between the owner of the Market and the owner of the building,

the sub-leased restaurants are still in agreement, whoever owns the US bank building is trying to remove the middle man it looks like.

I don't know how I missed that. I check this forum pretty regularly and I guess thought it was something I already read.

It's good to hear the tenants likely won't be leaving. It'd be a shame to lose that corner space to nothing.

Classical in Phoenix Nov 7, 2017 10:07 PM

Deleted.

Obadno Nov 7, 2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7979185)
does a commercial lease in Arizona not work like residential? If I end a lease with a tenant and they are subleasing to someone, that person has to go as well.

The sublease has no legal standing with the owner or landlord.

I wish I could tell you biggus, Im inferring that the sub-lessors are fine because the owner of the market is accusing his landlord of trying to undercut him in the article.

biggus diggus Nov 7, 2017 10:31 PM

from a legal point though if the lease is terminated then the subs have no rights, they would have to sign individual leases with the landlord. It's a risk of sub leasing, you're reliant on a middle man.... may work different with commercial, have no experience with that.

muertecaza Nov 7, 2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7979231)
from a legal point though if the lease is terminated then the subs have no rights, they would have to sign individual leases with the landlord. It's a risk of sub leasing, you're reliant on a middle man.... may work different with commercial, have no experience with that.

Commercial is same as residential. From the article, landlord is telling tenants they can stay if they sign a new lease on substantially the same terms as the old sublease.

Quote:

“Notwithstanding the foregoing, your use and access of the property has not been restricted by landlord at this time,” according to the letter obtained by the Phoenix Business Journal. “Please be advised that landlord will not displace or otherwise restrict you from your ongoing use and enjoyment of your space if you agree to and enter a new agreement directly with landlord substantially on the same terms as your current agreement with Union Market and in form and substance acceptable to landlord within 30 days after the date this notice.”

ASU Diablo Nov 8, 2017 7:40 PM

USAA adding 1,000 tech jobs in Phoenix in next 3 years
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...in-next-3.html

CrestedSaguaro Nov 8, 2017 10:13 PM

Funny you just posted this. I was just reading Rogue Columnists latest article on Phoenix and HQ2 and how the Phoenix tech sector basically sucks which is why we won't get HQ2.

I agree with his assessment that we won't get HQ2. That's a give in. But, I disagree with Phoenix not becoming a tech hotbed. This (the news above) along with the multitude of tech startups coming here, 3 companies currently testing their self-driving vehicles here, Intel building a new semi-conductor plant and other tech developments shows that Phoenix is an up and coming tech competitor. Are we Silicon Valley? Of course not! But Rogue Columnist really has limited vision when it comes to Phoenix's future. I don't know why I keep reading his crap.

biggus diggus Nov 8, 2017 10:14 PM

Isn't that Jon Talton's site? he's a professional naysayer.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 8, 2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7980297)
Isn't that Jon Talton's site? he's a professional naysayer.

Yea, I think so. I have no idea how long ago when he lived in Phoenix, but it's obvious he has never returned to see the progress the region has made. I am not exactly sure why he cares about Phoenix at this point in his life if he has no plans of returning here. :shrug:

biggus diggus Nov 8, 2017 11:04 PM

I have been reading this forum for years, I think exit to left guy says he moved to seattle and is obsessed with hating phoenix. maybe a girl broke his heart here.

exit2lef Nov 8, 2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7980344)
I have been reading this forum for years, I think exit to left guy says he moved to seattle and is obsessed with hating phoenix. maybe a girl broke his heart here.

Yes, he moved to Seattle a decade ago but seems strangely preoccupied with bashing Phoenix from exile. I think he's been married to the same woman for a long time, but Phoenix itself may have broken his heart. Most of his writing about Phoenix is based on a nostalgia for a city he believes was better in his youth.

exit2lef Nov 8, 2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980309)
Yea, I think so. I have no idea how long ago when he lived in Phoenix, but it's obvious he has never returned to see the progress the region has made. I am not exactly sure why he cares about Phoenix at this point in his life if he has no plans of returning here. :shrug:

He actually owns a condominium in Midtown and visits a few times a year. Although I don't understand the mentality at all, there is a cadre of Phoenicians who seem to enjoy hearing him trash the town.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 8, 2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7980368)
He actually owns a condominium in Midtown and visits a few times a year. Although I don't understand the mentality at all, there is a cadre of Phoenicians who seem to enjoy hearing him trash the town.

Fortunately, it's the minority that follow him. I've been entertained by some of his pieces when it comes to Phoenix history as I learn a lot from before I was ever here. But the bashing really takes away from his criticisms. Phoenix has come a long way just in the last 2 or 3 years, let alone the last decade since he has lived here. But he seems to clash with his own ideologies though. He goes back and forth from the "glory days" of Phoenix...which was sprawl...to pushing for urbanism which Phoenix is actually doing more of today.

I think he's jealous he isn't here to enjoy it :D

Obadno Nov 9, 2017 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7980410)
Fortunately, it's the minority that follow him. I've been entertained by some of his pieces when it comes to Phoenix history as I learn a lot from before I was ever here. But the bashing really takes away from his criticisms. Phoenix has come a long way just in the last 2 or 3 years, let alone the last decade since he has lived here. But he seems to clash with his own ideologies though. He goes back and forth from the "glory days" of Phoenix...which was sprawl...to pushing for urbanism which Phoenix is actually doing more of today.

I think he's jealous he isn't here to enjoy it :D

There is always a weird conglomerate of Phoenix haters

1. Angry young people that want to “get out”
2. Old timers that lament any change
3. Eastern transplants or Californians that are mad that Phoenix isn’t New York
4. People that live in some far out suburb and think the city is boring despite never leaving their suburb

So you get this contradictory complaining that they want the city to get developed and people complaining that it’s developing too much. Or you get some unfair complaint like about our sprawls as if that’s not a problem in everybody large metro it’s like they choose to forget that nyc and an gmfrancisco still have sprawl. Or that there are no old buildings

What are we supposed to do? Go back in time and redound Phoenix sooner? Tear down 70 years of suburban development? Outlaw cars?the whole thing gets very juvenile

If you stand back and look at this city is actually doing a great job urbanizing itself