SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

CTA Gray Line Aug 17, 2011 6:27 AM

10 proposed CTA bus rapid transit routes

The Metropolitan Planning Council has developed a plan to bring bus rapid transit to Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...612559.graphic

MayorOfChicago Aug 17, 2011 2:19 PM

http://chicago.everyblock.com/announ...forms-4186225/

Looks like people are finally starting to pay attention to the fact the platforms on the Brown Line are completely falling apart just a few short years after they were finished. I'd noticed them replacing disintegrating boards at Sedgwick the summer after it was completed, and now it appears the stations that were the first ones done are now the ones where people are already putting their feet through the boards and they're all starting to split at once.

Good work CTA! God forbid we use strong wood and SEAL it against the weather.

sukwoo Aug 17, 2011 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA Gray Line (Post 5381427)
The Metropolitan Planning Council has developed a plan to bring bus rapid transit to Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...612559.graphic

Does it really cost 13.3 million per mile for BRT?

emathias Aug 17, 2011 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukwoo (Post 5381765)
Does it really cost 13.3 million per mile for BRT?

Portland paid about $26 million a mile for small streetcars. I think $13 million a mile for buses in physically separated lanes seems reasonable.

Beta_Magellan Aug 17, 2011 10:48 PM

IIRC, it’s roughly what Eugene paid for their system, which mostly one-way tracks in a grassy median with passing areas at stops. Cleveland’s BRT was more expensive—I think it was around $30 million per mile, but it also included a full do-over of their streetscape. $13 million per mile in Chicago sounds like a pretty good deal to me, though only if they include physically-separated lanes.

I haven’t read it yet, but the full report is downloadable here.

OhioGuy Aug 18, 2011 1:57 AM

If you have physically separated lanes, will they be wide enough for snow plow trucks to push snow far enough out of the way that it won't pile up on the side and prevent the buses from being able to travel in the lane?

manrush Aug 18, 2011 4:32 AM

Some of the renders in the pdf look weird. For example, what's up with the buses running on the left?

Some of the bus routes look pretty ambitious, for US-style BRT anyway.

ardecila Aug 18, 2011 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 5382339)
If you have physically separated lanes, will they be wide enough for snow plow trucks to push snow far enough out of the way that it won't pile up on the side and prevent the buses from being able to travel in the lane?

Snow removal and drainage is definitely a concern with any of these proposals (most established BRT systems have so far been in climates without a lot of snow).

I'm guessing that instead of a low curb, they could just paint a solid yellow line and then mill rumble strips into the road surface. That combined with a solid color fill in the bus lane should be enough to keep motorists out. They could also use the removable plastic bollards like the Kinzie cycle track has, although those would need to be removed before any plowing.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 18, 2011 2:21 PM

The actual solution will probably be much simpler: A bus is no skinnier than a snowplow so they'll just run normal snowplows (probably using the side street blades, not the LSD/arterial blades) down the bus lane and keep it clear like that. This isn't exactly rocket science, the city clears one-lane stretches of side street all the time that are often even skinnier than the bus lanes would likely have to be to allow the buses some wiggle room.

Haworthia Aug 18, 2011 2:34 PM

^^^ I was recently in Toronto. They have some lanes that are dedicated to street cars and buses. They get their fair share of snow and they seem to run their system just fine. I don't see any practical (i.e. not political) reason why this can't be done here.

Via Chicago Aug 18, 2011 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 5381588)
http://chicago.everyblock.com/announ...forms-4186225/

Looks like people are finally starting to pay attention to the fact the platforms on the Brown Line are completely falling apart just a few short years after they were finished. I'd noticed them replacing disintegrating boards at Sedgwick the summer after it was completed, and now it appears the stations that were the first ones done are now the ones where people are already putting their feet through the boards and they're all starting to split at once.

Good work CTA! God forbid we use strong wood and SEAL it against the weather.

Yup, I noticed this starting a couple years ago, and now it seems every other board is in some state of decay. If theres a more inept transit agency in this country, Id love to see it. It seems no matter what infrastructure upgrade takes place, it is almost assuredly done half assed. This quote on Better Gov illustrates just how un-coordinated and and blindly these projects get carried out:

Quote:

Instead, the agency chose Flame Safe X-T, a material that is supposed to protect wood from fire as well as from the weather, C.T.A. officials said. But some of the treated wood planks soon started aging, they said.

"It was expected that the exterior fire-retardant material would perform better than it has," Sheila Gregory, a C.T.A. spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

Another C.T.A. official, Noelle Gaffney, said: "It’s not that the preservatives deteriorated the wood, it’s that they didn’t protect the wood" as well as previous products.

Louis Jacobini, principal owner of the company that makes Flame Safe X-T, said the product was not ideal for long-term weather protection. Fire prevention is its main benefit, Mr. Jacobini said.

The transit agency hired Lee Gjovic, a wood expert and former employee of the federal government’s Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, Wis., who recommended a weather-resistant preservative called CedarShield. It was applied to the wood planks from April 2009 to August 2009.

Dave Glassel, president of the company that manufactures CedarShield, said he was "appalled" that the C.T.A. had not used a weather-protection material first. Mr. Glassel said CedarShield did not work as well when it was applied over materials like Flame Safe X-T.
So here you have TWO different CEOs saying their products aren't being used as intended by the CTA. Things as basic as not reading the application instructions on the back of the can. Why is no one held responsible for these never ending fuck-ups? Its not like this is the first time wood has ever been installed in an outdoor environment.

J_M_Tungsten Aug 18, 2011 4:33 PM

Chicago is really embarrassing sometimes. The more I travel, the more I realize Chicago is falling behind in many transit and other infrastructure issues.

ardecila Aug 18, 2011 4:53 PM

Personally I would have skipped the fire-retardant material and used a super-duty sealant. Screw the fire code - I'm fairly sure there's never been a serious fire on a CTA platform.

There are also plenty of denser woods than southern yellow pine that would have been more appropriate, as well as many artificial/wood-aggregate products like Trex and EverGrain.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 18, 2011 4:58 PM

^^^ Yeah and if it's going to happen it won't be at a brand new Brown Line Station, it would be in some tinderbox platform like Sheridan where you have a roof covered in 50 years worth of garbage below 100 year old dry ass planks right next to a huge curve in the tracks just waiting to shower sparks or hot grease down below.

VivaLFuego Aug 18, 2011 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 5382840)
Its not like this is the first time wood has ever been installed in an outdoor environment.

It was the first time CTA wasn't allowed to just go to its default creosote treatment, however. I don't remember the specifics of the ruling, but basically CTA can't use creosote on new wooden platforms, but those already treated with it are grandfathered in.

ardecila Aug 19, 2011 7:01 AM

It's all because of the historic-preservation aspect of the project, though. Most new stations are using precast segments for the platform.

For future "historic" platforms, CTA should seriously consider the artificial products.

CTA Gray Line Aug 19, 2011 7:06 AM

RTA to spend more than $400,000 on customer survey

Daily Herald | 8/18/11:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/708189752/

The Regional Transportation Authority will spend up to $435,000 to see how satisfied riders are with transit service.

RTA board directors approved the expense Thursday, hiring Vermont-based Resource Systems Group (RSG) for one year. The questionnaire will cover just Metra and CTA users as Pace is doing its own survey.

“You can never do enough of asking customers what they think of your service,” RTA Chief Financial Officer Grace Gallucci said when asked about the cost at a time when Metra is contemplating fare hikes to balance its budget.

“Private firms do these things very frequently and spend a lot of money to do them.”

The survey has been a long time in the making. The RTA started planning in 2009. In January, it hired RSG to come up with a methodology for the study, paying the company $83,000 through a Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning grant.

In the past, the CTA, Metra and Pace conducted independent surveys. It’s more efficient and informative to evaluate customer feelings on a regional basis, Gallucci said.

Riders will be asked a range of questions on topics including fares, cleanliness of buses, trains and stations, and on-time performance.

“This will help us focus funding in the right areas,” Gallucci said.
The surveys will go out in the fall. It should take RSG four months to analyze the data and write a report.

Pace’s survey will conform to the RTA methodology, officials said.

bnk Aug 21, 2011 1:40 PM

North Suburban transportation news.

Quote:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/708199671/

Article updated: 8/19/2011 11:39 PM

Tollway hearing draws crowd in favor of Rt. 53 expansion

Comments (49)

...the Illinois Toll Highway Authority's proposed $12 billion capital plan.

By Mick Zawislak..

The prospect of jobs and relief from traffic congestion, particularly an extended Route 53, appeared to outweigh concerns about toll hikes Friday night as the Illinois Toll Highway Authority continued its series of public hearings on a proposed $12 billion improvement plan.

The Illinois tollway will host more local hearings on its proposed rate hike.

While some expressed concern over hefty toll increases to fund a blend of maintenance, improvements and new projects over the next 15 years, a majority of the speakers, well represented by engineers and union building trades, favored the plan.

And building the Route 53 extension, a controversial topic over the past 50 years, took front and center and was supported by several speakers.

While money is included in the proposed plan for studies of a Route 53 extension, local leaders want more.

“It would reduce congestion and open tremendous opportunity for growth and jobs,” Lake County Board Chairman David Stolman said.

“We beg of you, please be flexible. We also need a funding plan for construction. We can't wait another 15 years to see this road built,” Stolman concluded to applause. He co-chairs a large and diverse blue-ribbon committee that is studying the idea.

The proposed plan, introduced July 28, calls for $8.3 billion in spending to rebuild and widen 61 miles of the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway to Rockford and maintain and repair existing roads.

It also envisions $3.8 billion for new projects including completing the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway and building a western bypass of O'Hare International Airport to connect with the Tri-State and I-90 and building an interchange at I-57 and the Tri-State.

Tollway officials say the proposed plan will create more than 120,000 permanent jobs and add $21 billion to the economy.

The tollway authority suggests increases of 35 cents at a typical 40-cent plaza; 45 cents at a 50-cent plaza; and, 15 to 45 cents at ramps to help fund the projects.

In an alternative proposal, tollway Director Bill Morris of Grayslake said a 15-cent toll increase, with a review every three years, would be adequate.

Should the Route 53 extension be approved by the blue-ribbon committee, Morris' plan envisions planning to start next year, followed by engineering and design 2013 and construction in 2015-17.

Visit www.illinoistollway.com for information on the hearings or capital program. Comments also are being accepted online.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...#ixzz1Vfc6tSU1

ardecila Aug 21, 2011 8:11 PM

^^ I've been following this debate closely but I didn't think to post it after the transit-centric discussion we've been having lately.

I agree with the Lake County speakers at the meeting... the 53 project needs to happen sooner rather than later. Congestion in Lake County is awful, which is a shame since most of Lake County has excellent train access to downtown. The congestion in this area is pushing residents and families into places like Algonquin and McHenry where transit service is much less convenient. That means an even greater percentage of people driving to work, and less ridership on Metra.

I'd be in favor of reducing the scope of the Addams project to allow enough room in the budget for construction of 53. $8.3 billion is one hell of a project. Addams really only needs to be eight lanes between O'Hare and Schaumburg. Further west, the project should be limited to a rebuild of the 6-lane existing, coupled with some new access points and ramps, as well as a redesign of the existing, outdated ramps. Space could be left in the middle for a future bus lane project, or they could build wider left shoulders at little added cost and run the buses there.

---

Greg Hinz also raised a point that most media outlets have been ignoring. Bill Morris, who is the primary opposition to the 45-cent plan, has an alternative 15-cent plan. He's not suggesting that the construction projects can be done more cheaply, but he wants alternative funding sources to cover the gap, most notably a value-capture scheme for Bensenville, Elk Grove Village, and the other communities that will see billions in investment due to the Elgin-O'Hare-West Bypass project. I love this idea... why should drivers on 88 or 294 have to pay the full cost of an expressway that doesn't really benefit them, when a feasible alternative exists to place the costs more squarely on those who benefit?

The inside baseball, of course, is that the EOWB project is a bone thrown to those communities in exchange for their support of O'Hare expansion. They'd be kicking and screaming if they had to give up some of that juicy tax revenue to pay for the road.

k1052 Aug 22, 2011 4:53 AM

I'd be more interested in space for a Metra line (probably connect from the MD-W line near Big Timber) in the restructured Addams into Rockford than bus lanes.