SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

StealthGirl Nov 24, 2020 2:29 PM

Rumour on Twitter that Habanos is closing for good.

McBean Dec 12, 2020 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9111665)
We all know that there is nothing fishy about a councilor's family walking into a multimillion dollar development after she was elected.

It's sad how many pubs and restaurants won't be in Regina in 2021

djforsberg Dec 12, 2020 9:49 PM

Can’t wait for more cold and soulless chains to take over all the cheap real estate that opens up! That’s the “efficiencies” of capitalism for ya.

BrutallyDishonest2 Dec 12, 2020 10:52 PM

More like the failure of government.

djforsberg Dec 13, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9132257)
More like the failure of government.

Isn’t that kind of the same thing as what I said?

BrutallyDishonest2 Dec 13, 2020 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9132570)
Isn’t that kind of the same thing as what I said?

No. Capitalism doesn't preclude competent government.

logan5 Dec 13, 2020 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9115350)
Rumour on Twitter that Habanos is closing for good.

Good old Regina. Lived there for 6 months. I guess the go to area was Dewdney, which is not bad given the historic nature of that particular stretch where Habono's was. Could be a nice vibrant area if they would do something with the other side of the street.

O'Hanlons downtown was alright as well. Good foosball table there, so I was there quite a bit. :cheers:

djforsberg Dec 13, 2020 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9132662)
No. Capitalism doesn't preclude competent government.

I would disagree. Capitalism requires an incompetent government to maximize returns and will do everything it can to make sure that happens. Case in point the Saskatchewan Party.

pappcam Dec 13, 2020 11:55 PM

Is there a political thread that this shit can get moved to? I don't think Pubs and Restaurants is the right thread for this.

djforsberg Dec 14, 2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 9132831)
Is there a political thread that this shit can get moved to? I don't think Pubs and Restaurants is the right thread for this.

Oh settle down. It started in this thread because I was making a comment on the future of commercial real estate. It’s a little impractical to expect an organic conversation to move quickly into another thread. I can’t believe I have to say this. Besides, everything is politics and you know it.

Festivus Dec 14, 2020 2:45 PM

https://i.imgur.com/cZf0Toh.png

djforsberg Dec 14, 2020 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9133138)

Lol, right on

McBean Dec 27, 2020 11:40 PM

January is typically when a lot of pubs and restaurants fold in a non-Covid year. This year, I expect that to be amplified significantly.

djforsberg Dec 28, 2020 3:28 AM

My gf and I begrudgingly did our part in supporting local restaurants, at Cure with her parents for Xmas since we couldn't spend it together in their home. It was the evening of Dec 23 and I think there were two other tables sat at the most while we were there. Great experience as usual from them.

Festivus Dec 28, 2020 4:22 PM

My spouse and I got a large order for takeout from Pearl River Kitchen on Hill Ave. For anyone who doesn't know, they are a Chinese restaurant that is takeout-only (or order). Really great stuff, and a good price. I think it's just a husband and wife that do everything, with their son helping up front when it's busy. We ordered enough for Xmas eve and day...they probably thought it was for a big family, haha.

StealthGirl Feb 18, 2021 2:07 AM

Gud Eats is closing as of Feb 28, 2021, citing COVID and the app-delivery services taking a chunk of revenues now that downtown workers are working at home.

https://www.facebook.com/gudeats.ca/

jigglysquishy Feb 18, 2021 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9193862)
Gud Eats is closing as of Feb 28, 2021, citing COVID and the app-delivery services taking a chunk of revenues now that downtown workers are working at home.

https://www.facebook.com/gudeats.ca/

Didn't even make it a year.

Something else is amiss.

djforsberg Feb 18, 2021 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9194534)

Something else is amiss.

There really isn’t much to it. Uber Eats, Skipthedishes, etc are terrible for both restaurants and their gig workers. The cost they charge restaurants is abhorrent compared to how simple their apps really are. It’s not easy for a new place to go at it without using the apps, especially during these times. If less people used the apps, it would help but sadly I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

pappcam Feb 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9194534)

Something else is amiss.

They're a niche restaurant that opened downtown during a pandemic?

BrutallyDishonest2 Feb 19, 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9194723)
There really isn’t much to it. Uber Eats, Skipthedishes, etc are terrible for both restaurants and their gig workers. The cost they charge restaurants is abhorrent compared to how simple their apps really are. It’s not easy for a new place to go at it without using the apps, especially during these times. If less people used the apps, it would help but sadly I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I don't disagree that the gig services are difficult for restaurants to contend with. But at the same time, they opened knowing all of this before hand so it's a bit odd.