SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

uaarkson Mar 16, 2020 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8863636)
^
Won’t happen here in the land of the free most likely.

Not even close. "Durrr how ya gonna pay for it?"

If I was still living in a major coastal city I would be pretty concerned about the potential for societal breakdown. This is America, so expect looting and riots at the very least.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 3:28 PM

Quote:

^

Yes we have a very different legal system, giant sweeping social welfare programs cannot be created and enacted unilaterally by the government.

In this moment it might seem a bit obtuse and slow but its designed to be that way, to prevent abuse and panic induced changes to the nation.

Northern Light Mar 16, 2020 3:41 PM

The province of Ontario, Canada announcing this morning:

New law to provide for job-protected leave for every worker due to illness, self-isolation/quarantine or to provide emergency childcare due to school closure.

No doctor's note requirement allowed.

Law to be retroactive to January 25.

Handro Mar 16, 2020 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Light (Post 8863593)
As things continue to unfold here in North America. 2 Scandinavian governments have unveiled their worker support plans.

Denmark:

- Full pay for those laid off for 20 days
- Self-Employed to get 80% of their 3-year average income for the period.
- Money for those caring for COVID patients

Sweden:

- Laid off workers to get 90% of their income
- Gov't will pay 50% of that, Employer other 50%
- Gov't will pick up the full cost of sick pay from business

Important to judge our own governments offerings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Light (Post 8863671)
The province of Ontario, Canada announcing this morning:

New law to provide for job-protected leave for every worker due to illness, self-isolation/quarantine or to provide emergency childcare due to school closure.

No doctor's note requirement allowed.

Law to be retroactive to January 25.

This is horrifying to many Americans. Next stop, the gulags!

BG918 Mar 16, 2020 3:52 PM

The only way to minimize the impact in the U.S. is for the government to step in and order a national quarantine enforced by the National Guard. ALL businesses shut down, cease all transport including airports and mass transit and any non essential travel made illegal. Real leadership would do what it takes, unfortunately we don’t have that.

hauntedheadnc Mar 16, 2020 3:57 PM

My city confirmed its first case today. A tourist from New York, not surprisingly. They tested positive here, then went on to another county further west, where they are now in self-isolation.

dc_denizen Mar 16, 2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8863679)
This is horrifying to many Americans. Next stop, the gulags!

good news comrades! The House has passed an aid bill including paid leave!

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...si-aid-testing

Quote:

Emergency paid sick days: The bill would give workers 14 days of paid sick leave to be available immediately during the coronavirus (many employers are asking employees to work from home for that amount of time). It ensures sick leave to those impacted by quarantine orders, or those who must stay home to care for their children. The bill reimburses small businesses (those with 50 or fewer employees) for the cost of the 14 additional days of leave.

Emergency paid leave: The bill would create a new federal emergency paid leave program for those unable to work because they have Covid-19, are quarantined, are caring for someone with the disease, or are caring for a child due to coronavirus-related school closings. Eligible workers would receive benefits for a month (the program goes up to three months), and the benefit amount would be two-thirds of the individual’s average monthly earnings. Those receiving pay or unemployment compensation directly through their employers aren’t eligible. There is some precedent for this: Congress expanded unemployment benefits for up to 99 weeks for Americans left unemployed by the 2008 financial crisis.

Expanded unemployment insurance: The bill would direct $2 billion to state unemployment insurance programs and waive measures like work search requirements or waiting weeks to those either diagnosed with Covid-19, or those who have lost their jobs due to the spread of the virus.

Expanding food security: The bill would direct $1 billion to expanding access to programs like SNAP, WIC and the emergency food assistance program throughout the coronavirus pandemic. Progressive economists have long believed that expanding existing safety net programs is a highly effective way of stimulating the economy because the low-income people who benefit from them are highly likely to immediately spend any extra money they get — helping stabilize economy-wide demand. The 2009 stimulus bill featured many provisions along these lines.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8863551)
LOL! under 50?????? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

my parents are both 73. they are not "avid cyclists" like me, but they both stay relatively active.

they can both ride a bike 10 miles with no problem at all. i did that with them last summer.

will bike commuting be a suitable transit replacement for every single last living soul on the planet? of course not, but there are literally millions of able-bodied transit commuters out there who could switch to a bicycle during these dark days to avoid crowded transit trains and buses if WFH isn't an option.

and every able-bodied transit rider that makes the switch to a bike makes the trains/buses that much less crowded, and hence safer, for those riders who have absolutely no other option to get around.

I think they are fortunate and unusual.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 8863694)
The only way to minimize the impact in the U.S. is for the government to step in and order a national quarantine enforced by the National Guard. ALL businesses shut down, cease all transport including airports and mass transit and any non essential travel made illegal. Real leadership would do what it takes, unfortunately we don’t have that.

Thats not really possible. There are not enough men including all civil servants, police, and military to enforce such a thing nationwide.

The best thing to do is keep encouraging local and voluntary quarantines and isolation.

Much more effective and less tyrannical

Also what you are suggesting is largely illegal in the US. Just because its "an emergency" does not give the feds unlimited power.

Acajack Mar 16, 2020 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8863706)
I think they are fortunate and unusual.

If we're talking about people in their 70s, sure.

But for people over 50?

About half the people who bike to work at my office are 50 or older.

Including yours truly - though only barely so.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Light (Post 8863593)
As things continue to unfold here in North America. 2 Scandinavian governments have unveiled their worker support plans.

Denmark:

- Full pay for those laid off for 20 days
- Self-Employed to get 80% of their 3-year average income for the period.
- Money for those caring for COVID patients

Sweden:

- Laid off workers to get 90% of their income
- Gov't will pay 50% of that, Employer other 50%
- Gov't will pick up the full cost of sick pay from business

Important to judge our own governments offerings.

To me the notion that closed small businesses like bars and restaurants and even many larger ones like smaller hotel chains are going to have that 50% employer contribution seems to me absurd. Many of these businesses were hanging on by their fingernails already due to things like mandatory $15/hour minimum wages (didn’t Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia do away with minimum wages?). So a law like this here would be a death sentence for much of the economy and dead employers won’t be paying anything.

Via Chicago Mar 16, 2020 4:15 PM

Quote:

^

Romney proposed giving every US adult $1K immediately

yeah that outta do it

sopas ej Mar 16, 2020 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863709)
Just because its "an emergency" does not give the feds unlimited power.

It's pretty serious, though. They might start looking at this like it's a war.

During WWII, two Pasadena, CA hotels were taken over by the federal government and turned into military hospitals.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8863722)

During WWII, two Pasadena, CA hotels were taken over by the federal government and turned into military hospitals.

There were lots of abuses in WW2 I dont think we need to really go into the finer details of internment.

Handro Mar 16, 2020 4:22 PM

Quote:

I think you're on to something: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article241216061.html

hauntedheadnc Mar 16, 2020 4:25 PM

Quote:

Here too, where they were used as prisons and hospitals. The Grove Park Inn housed imprisoned Axis diplomats, while the Kenilworth Inn was used as a hospital. The government also took over other facilities here too, including the Grove Arcade, a shopping mall that was turned into a government office building, and Biltmore House, which was used for art storage for the National Gallery.

Our local crisis response plan involves comandeering hotels again if need be, and using them to provide the homeless and others with places to self-quarantine.

BG918 Mar 16, 2020 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863709)
Thats not really possible. There are not enough men including all civil servants, police, and military to enforce such a thing nationwide.

The best thing to do is keep encouraging local and voluntary quarantines and isolation.

Much more effective and less tyrannical

Also what you are suggesting is largely illegal in the US. Just because its "an emergency" does not give the feds unlimited power.

Challenging times call for challenging measures. Doubt it happens just saying that is what *should* happen.

hauntedheadnc Mar 16, 2020 4:45 PM

County government here is currently asking all bars and restaurants to limit their service to takeout only. In the release they stated if need be, they will reevaluate the situation in the near future and won't just be asking. At least three, including two heavy hitters, have already closed their dining rooms. When you consider this, consider that the local government has a plan to comandeer hotels, that the breweries and music clubs have closed to the public and that even Biltmore House has closed the house to tours...

We haven't seen a situation like this since World War II.

montréaliste Mar 16, 2020 5:03 PM

I walked to city hall in my small town and noticed the poster that read all services were closed last friday til march 27th. I wanted to inquire about a garage I want to rebuild. Small contractors will all be affected by this in a big way.
There should be mechanisms in place within the macro-economic circles to effect a plug-out and plug-in for events such as these.

maru2501 Mar 16, 2020 5:10 PM

New Jersey curfew now

JManc Mar 16, 2020 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863725)
There were lots of abuses in WW2 I dont think we need to really go into the finer details of internment.

There's commandeering vital facilities during a national emergency and then there's internment camps. The feds can do one without the other.

Kid Rock is refusing to shut down his restaurant in Nashville. Nashville-Davidson and/ or TN should be able to force him to shut down.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8863802)
There's commandeering vital facilities during a national emergency and then there's internment camps. The feds can do one without the other.

Kid Rock is refusing to shut down his restaurant in Nashville. Nashville-Davidson and/ or TN should be able to force him to shut down.

I dont think they can for now, most of these are once again "suggested" They'd have to somehow make a public health case to a court which they probably cannot do yet as there are not enough cases.

hauntedheadnc Mar 16, 2020 5:35 PM

Quote:

Um... It's a bit late for that, and I'll just leave it at that.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 5:46 PM

Quote:

Why? You can go to a restaurant without coughing sneezing on anyone (if you feel sick you should stay home anyway), shaking hands, etc.

This is all too much.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 8863285)
Economic conditions in the US are deteriorating rapidly. This is pretty scary.

Yes. Much scarier than this virus.

bnk Mar 16, 2020 5:50 PM

The world has gone insane.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....3D1&f=1&nofb=1

https://i.imgur.com/0jpEjCh.jpg

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863825)
Why? You can go to a restaurant without coughing sneezing on anyone (if you feel sick you should stay home anyway), shaking hands, etc.

This is all too much.

Among other reasons, the people who work there would have to wear rubber gloves and should be wearing face shields at least to protect themselves. Remember that the transmission of this disease is not so much by droplets (such as being coughed on) but by transmission from surfaces to hands to nose/mouth/eyes. So any server or bartender who touched the table, bar, utensils, dinnerware, glassware etc would have to be wearing PPE.

Same goes for customers. Sitting at a bar would be especially perilous but even individual tables would need to be wiped down with alcohol or bleach between customers.

photoLith Mar 16, 2020 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 8863718)
Romney proposed giving every US adult $1K immediately

yeah that outta do it

Oooohhhh a whole 1000 dollars, that will make up for months of unemployment...

iheartthed Mar 16, 2020 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863809)
I dont think they can for now, most of these are once again "suggested" They'd have to somehow make a public health case to a court which they probably cannot do yet as there are not enough cases.

The state doesn't need to prove the public health emergency to a court in order to shut businesses down.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863828)
Yes. Much scarier than this virus.

Deteriorating is not the right description.

Everything is just shutting down. Like on hold.

The economy of March 16th is no different from the economy from 2 weeks ago in any objective measure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/us-j...uary-2020.html

'Job growth smashes expectations"

We are pretty much going to lose a quarter or two due to quarantine but as soon as the Virus starts to die down or we get an idea of how the lifcycle is going to be we will bounce back quickly to the way it was before.

Actually this stock sell off and panic might have prevented a bigger and more general recession in the next 12-24 months. Like a pressure release.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8863837)

For many people, it will pay the rent for a couple of months. And remember that it is on top of unemployment that's currently available to most. One additional "reform" that will be needed is to temporarily eliminate the requirement that those collecting unemployment actively look for work. Not only won't they find any right now but looking is counter to "social distancing".

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8863837)

If you are a service sector employee that cant get work for 3 weeks that 1000 bucks would be a big deal.

Plus didnt they announce some additional paid sick leave access to unemployment etc?

What do you expect the government to roll out 100% pay for everyone overnight?

Handro Mar 16, 2020 6:06 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

Sure, many people can. Unfortunately I think you’re putting way too much trust in the commitment of the masses to public health. Way too many people are still not washing their hands regularly, trying to enact any measure of social distancing or staying home if they feel sick. If the world was full of responsible and respectful adults, you’d have a point.

JManc Mar 16, 2020 6:08 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

This should be common knowledge by now, like 'social distancing' and 'flatten the curve', but people can be seemingly fine and be infected thus spread it around unknowingly. In New York, they are still allowing take outs (even alcohol from pubs) as to not wipe out the restaurant industry. My wife and I went out to eat over the weekend and decided not worth the risk and will lay low; we both have mothers nearby who are 70.

bnk Mar 16, 2020 6:09 PM

There are a long list of medications we are being warned about in my hospital that will soon be in short supply due to fact the precursors of which are produced in China.

Every hour there another list of medications that are going to be in shortage.

We never could even have had a small skirmish with the Chinese in the south China sea or defending Taiwan.

China could and still can have the capability to harm the majority of our drug supply faster than anyone outside of the Pentagon.

Well at least I hope we learned that allowing our enemies (and Communist China, who has been waging all out economic warfare since 1990, is indeed our enemy) to control our means of production for anything important (such as pharmaceuticals) is suicidal.

Had they threatened to cut off the production and supply of them, and while I don’t view that as a casus belli because we put ourselves in that situation, I hope it is a wake up call for us.

Not just for pharmaceuticals, but for many other things. 5G, Military technology, the strangle hold on rare earth elements.....
The USA can mine rare earths, but regulations price continues to let China control with worlds supply.

I believe there should be free trade with other countries, but what we have allowed China to do to us (and they have done with great relish accompanied by financial and political gain) is not “free trade” by any stretch of the imagination.

The mantra should be from anywhere but China now. Even our surgical and N95 makes are made in China, and yes we are having a shortage of them too btw.

iheartthed Mar 16, 2020 6:15 PM

Quote:

This is all too much.

The problem is that the health care system will collapse.

But this didn't need to happen at all. All of these western governments that are suddenly playing defense had two months to mount a proactive response. All of this disruption to our daily lives is the result of inaction (and incompetence) for two months while we watched this spiral in Asia. A perfect example of why it didn't have to be this way is how South Korea was able to get their pretty large outbreak under control, and with an extremely lowest mortality rate. Compare that to Italy, where the mortality rate has been 10 times Korea's and the outbreak got out of control.

BG918 Mar 16, 2020 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8863879)

But this didn't need to happen at all. All of these western governments that are suddenly playing defense had two months to mount a proactive response. All of this disruption to our daily lives is the result of inaction (and incompetence) for two months while we watched this spiral in Asia. A perfect example of why it didn't have to be this way is how South Korea was able to get their pretty large outbreak under control, and with an extremely lowest mortality rate. Compare that to Italy, where the mortality rate has been 10 times Korea's and the outbreak got out of control.

American hubris at its finest. “We don’t need to worry about anything that’s someone else’s problem”. We’ll hopefully learn our lesson, only after the economy is in ruins and thousands are dead.

jd3189 Mar 16, 2020 7:41 PM

It finally reached San Bernardino County and now my med school is giving the option of either taking our prescheduled exams this week or canceling them, averaging our previous grades, and ending the year early.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 8:19 PM

I really dont know what everyone keeps saying "should be doing"

Nobody seems to have any idea what "should" be happening besides way over the top impossible nationwide shut down, I think its just everyone liking to bitch.

Every country is struggling with this, most worse than the USA at the moment.

There really isnt much a government can actually do about this kind of an incident.

Docere Mar 16, 2020 8:34 PM

Toronto's top public medical official has called for the closing of dine-in restaurants, nightclubs and theaters tonight.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 8:39 PM

Quote:

Bay Area authorities place strictest order in country: ‘Shelter in place,’ only essential businesses open in 6 counties
Erin Allday March 16, 2020 Updated: March 16, 2020 1:32 p.m.

Six Bay Area counties announced a “shelter in place” order for all residents on Monday — the strictest measure of its kind in the country — directing everyone to stay inside their homes and away from others as much as possible for the next three weeks as public health officials desperately try to curb the rapid spread of coronavirus across the region.

The directive begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and involves San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties — a combined population of more than 6.7 million. It is to stay in place until at least April 7. Three other Bay Area counties — Sonoma, Solano and Napa — were not immediately included.

The order falls just short of a full lockdown, which would forbid people from leaving their homes without explicit permission, and it wasn’t immediately clear how, or to what degree, it would be enforced. The order calls for the sheriff or chief of police to “ensure compliance.” In Italy and other places that have instituted lockdowns, travel outside the home has been restricted without permission and police have been ordering people back home if they don’t have a reason to be in public . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...y-15135014.php

tdawg Mar 16, 2020 8:42 PM

I can't believe there are still going to be 4 Democratic primaries tomorrow. The smart thing to do would be to postpone all remaining primaries to a single day, preferably a Saturday, in a month or two. There's just too much panic out there to not affect results and turnout.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 16, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863841)
Deteriorating is not the right description.

Everything is just shutting down. Like on hold.

The economy of March 16th is no different from the economy from 2 weeks ago in any objective measure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/us-j...uary-2020.html

'Job growth smashes expectations"

We are pretty much going to lose a quarter or two due to quarantine but as soon as the Virus starts to die down or we get an idea of how the lifcycle is going to be we will bounce back quickly to the way it was before.

Actually this stock sell off and panic might have prevented a bigger and more general recession in the next 12-24 months. Like a pressure release.

you really, truly believe the bullshit you just spewed? lol

come on man, so many businesses are gonna go out of business over the next 4 to 6 months. EVERYTHING will be different. It will takes years to dig out of this hole. At this point, we should be hoping that were not in a global depression when this subsides and just a global recession.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 16, 2020 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864005)
I really dont know what everyone keeps saying "should be doing"

Nobody seems to have any idea what "should" be happening besides way over the top impossible nationwide shut down, I think its just everyone liking to bitch.

Every country is struggling with this, most worse than the USA at the moment.

There really isnt much a government can actually do about this kind of an incident.

Really? Have you seen what South Korea did? EVERYONE should be doing that and the opposite of what the US has done. We havent tested, we dont have drive through testing, we havent isolated people and were not prepared for whats gonna happen in about 10 days.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8864036)
I can't believe there are still going to be 4 Democratic primaries tomorrow. The smart thing to do would be to postpone all remaining primaries to a single day, preferably a Saturday, in a month or two. There's just too much panic out there to not affect results and turnout.

The smart thing to do would be to conduct the elections--primary and November general if this isn't over by then--entirely by mail. I believe Washington State already conducts some elections that way.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8863835)
Among other reasons, the people who work there would have to wear rubber gloves and should be wearing face shields at least to protect themselves. Remember that the transmission of this disease is not so much by droplets (such as being coughed on) but by transmission from surfaces to hands to nose/mouth/eyes. So any server or bartender who touched the table, bar, utensils, dinnerware, glassware etc would have to be wearing PPE.

Same goes for customers. Sitting at a bar would be especially perilous but even individual tables would need to be wiped down with alcohol or bleach between customers.

I sat at the bar today. And your takeaway or delivery food is just as likely to have been contaminated.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8863879)

No, this is all overreaction to cover for the perceived lack of reaction.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864052)
Really? Have you seen what South Korea did? EVERYONE should be doing that and the opposite of what the US has done. We havent tested, we dont have drive through testing, we havent isolated people and were not prepared for whats gonna happen in about 10 days.

To a growing extent we do have drive-through testing (and in the city, walk-in, because in SF lots of people don't have cars and there's a thread on Nextdoor of people b*tching about "drive-through" testing). It's beginning to happen and I think tests are effectively available to any who need them now. You may have to make a phone call or two to find out how to get one but it will quickly get easier.

As I just posted, the Bay Area is isolating people more severely than anywhere in the world except China, Korea included, has done. If LA hasn't done the same, call your mayor.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864059)
No, this is all overreaction to cover for the perceived lack of reaction.

You better hope so because, as I posted yesterday (with sources), the UK apparently has only 5000 ventilators for ARD (acute respiratory distress) patients compared to 75,000 in the US and an order for 70,000 just placed by the German government (not sure how many they currently have), which represents an entire year's production by the principal German maker.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864049)
you really, truly believe the bullshit you just spewed? lol

come on man, so many businesses are gonna go out of business over the next 4 to 6 months. EVERYTHING will be different. It will takes years to dig out of this hole. At this point, we should be hoping that were not in a global depression when this subsides and just a global recession.

You sound like you are in a panic.

I would recommend calming down.