SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Fresh Mar 26, 2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8874141)
It hasn't even been a full week yet since Governor Newsom's California-wide stay at home order, but some people here have been acting like they've been sequestered for 2 months or something. If anything, this pandemic has shown what a bunch of pussies a lot of people are.

Seems like the pussies are the ones cowering in their hovels, scared of the flu and cheering on authoritarian government decrees.

JManc Mar 26, 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8875195)
Hey Jmanc, someone from Kingwood just died from this. My mom is freaking out, since she still lives in Kingwood.

whoa, what neighborhood?

photoLith Mar 27, 2020 12:07 AM

^
Not sure, have a friend whose mom goes to that big Catholic Church on I believe Northpark and it was one of their congregants.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 12:21 AM

Obesity and diabetes does not go well with this virus at all. Some states with a higher proportion of those folks need to heed caution. A lot of the fatalities have been among folks with either poor health or pre-existing conditions or elderly age (immune system wise).

The North One Mar 27, 2020 12:22 AM

I think it really needs to be drilled into the thick skulls around here that our healthcare system CANNOT FUCKING HANDLE a corona curve spike where we do nothing to slow it down.

It will collapse, and then the economy will implode for fucking real and for another decade or so, not just temporarily as it is now.

So even if you are an individual who lacks all humanity and couldn't care less about other human lives, not shutting down and not quarantining produces a worse economic result than the alternative.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 12:23 AM

The overload on the health care system can itself be a trigger for even more fatalities. Spain for example, in some of their regions or cities, are seeing medical overloads. One is more likely to die if they can't get proper treatment.

In NYC, there was an incident of one person dying in the waiting room.

sopas ej Mar 27, 2020 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresh (Post 8875219)
Seems like the pussies are the ones cowering in their hovels, scared of the flu and cheering on authoritarian government decrees.

Nah, the pussies are the whiners who are able to work from home, yet are whining that they feel cooped up, when they are able to walk their dogs, go to the supermarkets, and pick up takeout. And it's only been a week since California's stay at home order.

If that was meant as a jab at me, I'm not cowering in my hovel; I have to go in to work, because my stingy ass employer hasn't yet told us that we can work from home. Authoritarian government? :haha:

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 12:35 AM

IDK why folks are complaining about working from home. Ohhh the horror lol. First world problems.

I'll tell ya why they are complaining. Because they never have worked a hard day in their lives. Go work on a farm or do some road construction on a hot summer day, and than tell me that working from home is bad (I use to work on a farm as a teen, so yes, I have a bias and as a contractor building silt fences while in college during hot ass days).

Some of you folks don't know what hard work is. Ever shake hands with someone who has hands like steel, with sharp skin calluses, gotta respect those folks. Those are hard workers.

Feeling cooped up WHILE working from home is a luxury yah spoiled fucks.

Go tell a farmer or construction worker that your complaining about working from home... oh my... what's this world coming too.

sopas ej Mar 27, 2020 12:39 AM

El Pollo Loco drive-thru takeout for dinner.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...90&oe=5EA3327C
Photo by me

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 12:44 AM

^^^^

I'll have some large fries, a large burger, and an ounce of your finest crystal.

:tup:

https://www.nme.com/wp-content/uploa...38-696x442.jpg

montréaliste Mar 27, 2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8875251)
IDK why folks are complaining about working from home. Ohhh the horror lol. First world problems.

I'll tell ya why they are complaining. Because they never have worked a hard day in their lives. Go work on a farm or do some road construction on a hot summer day, and than tell me that working from home is bad (I use to work on a farm as a teen, so yes, I have a bias and as a contractor building silt fences while in college during hot ass days).

Some of you folks don't know what hard work is. Ever shake hands with someone who has hands like steel, with sharp skin calluses, gotta respect those folks. Those are hard workers.

Go tell a farmer or construction worker that your complaining about working from home... oh my... what's this world coming too.

My thoughts exactly.

Thank you for keeping it real.

You should have thrown in more swear words in there for good measure.

dubu Mar 27, 2020 1:06 AM

the only bad thing ive seen so far is people sending me dumb comments. because im white or they dont like my art. i just think hate comments are funny now, im in my 30's and dont care what happens. we havent seen anything yet, this is the beginning of things that will happen.

jmecklenborg Mar 27, 2020 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8875251)

Correct. I wish I was working from home. Today i emailed someone working from home who demanded to be taken off the email group because she's "buried". No you're not - you're in your pajamas watching soap operas and answering emails during the commercials.

jmecklenborg Mar 27, 2020 3:05 AM

I can't wait to hear all of the crying from tenants who refuse to pay April rent despite the fact they're often still working AND they're getting a free $1,200.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 3:13 AM

I noticed STEAM is having a ton of sales on some titles that are normally $60. For those that don't know, STEAM is a gaming platform for the PC. I suppose they know folks are being laid off, and while collecting and waiting, will use the time wisely to play video games. :tup:

But any who, some solid titles for low prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 8875390)
I can't wait to hear all of the crying from tenants who refuse to pay April rent despite the fact they're often still working AND they're getting a free $1,200.

Maybe they need it for food or other things like toilet paper and Lubriderm. Who knows how long this will drag on for. But yeah, a lot of landlords will take a hit this quarter and possibly the next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 8875381)
Correct. I wish I was working from home. Today i emailed someone working from home who demanded to be taken off the email group because she's "buried". No you're not - you're in your pajamas watching soap operas and answering emails during the commercials.

Good time to binge the Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Although tele-conferences with video's demand that folks are dressed right. No sense in doing a tele-conference while in ones boxers and stains from the night before.

But your forgetting the horror that awaits folks working from home. Not the work, but the kids. Parents live for those moments away from the screaming, and now, its 24/7 of that rubbish.

photoLith Mar 27, 2020 3:17 AM

Been taking photos of Pittsburgh for the past two weeks ever since this bs started. Its so freaking weird. The only people downtown are the homeless and ghetto people taking the bus and cops who well at kids who should be home, but prob have shit home environments to disperse and stand 6ft from each other.

Here's a short video I got tonight of Market Square at 8pm, which on any other Thursday night would be packed with people.

https://www.facebook.com/chrislither...7847878591605/

On a sidenote, there must be a way to post a Facebook photo without having to click on a link.

SIGSEGV Mar 27, 2020 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8875143)
"panic"
"hysertia"
"overreaction"
"paranoid"

I keep seeing these buzzwords pop up among certain segments of the population, segments which also often conveniently ignore other sciences. I think there is a misconception among this segment of society about the most basic scientific principles. Scientists, by and large, do not panic, succumb to hysteria, or react in paranoia. As a group, they are not trying to win elections or sell newspapers or trade in stocks.

It isn't the media or politicians driving this, it's the world's leading epidemiologists, virologists, and public health experts. Whatever non-experts think feels right, that doesn't matter.

It also flys in the face of basic reality, as we have seen in other countries that ignored warnings to stay home. We don't even need to think theoretically, we have the proof right in front of us. My sister lives in Brescia, Italy. Perhaps I can ask her to take a picture of the military vehicles lined up near the hospitals there to store bodies since the morgues have been overrun?

don't you live in the South Loop? Have you witnessed any of the light shows/singing that I read about earlier? Apparently ever night at 8...

I thought there was an electrical problem in one of the other highrises... but no it was some weird improvised light show that apparently everybody but me got the memo for!

pip Mar 27, 2020 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8870846)
It occurred to me the other day: Millennials have been p*ssed at the rest of us for "The Great Recession" and the skyrocketing cost of college since they got old enough to think about such matters (around the age Greta Thunberg got started). Now just as they are finding careers and getting them off the launching pad, THIS.

The only thing to compare it with, really, is the so-called "Greatest Generation" that went through the Depression and then WW II. But to become known as a new "greatest" they'd really have to grow up quickly and cut out the "party's not over 'till it's over" mentality currently displayed all over the media. I hope they are up to it.

I know every older generation complains about the younger generation. it is just the way it is. I sincerely hope I avoid what you are going through when I become the older generation.

jtown,man Mar 27, 2020 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8875413)
I thought there was an electrical problem in one of the other highrises... but no it was some weird improvised light show that apparently everybody but me got the memo for!

It's funny, it seemed rather random but right after I saw the comment that it starts at 8pm, it did. Right on the dot lol

dleung Mar 27, 2020 4:08 AM

I've never seen a rat on the streets of Toronto, but in the last week I saw at least 5.