SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

10023 May 3, 2021 9:51 PM

^ That’s because LA has nice weather but still has fanatical restrictions. It’s clear overkill.

MolsonExport May 3, 2021 10:20 PM

I read somewhere that couches priced above 15K really depress covid transmissions.

edale May 3, 2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9268603)
^ That’s because LA has nice weather but still has fanatical restrictions. It’s clear overkill.

What fanatical restrictions? I ate at two restaurants (one inside) and went to a bar this weekend, and other than operating at reduced capacity, it was basically normal. Disneyland even reopened last week. :shrug:

JManc May 3, 2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9268655)
What fanatical restrictions? I went ate at two restaurants (one inside) and went to a bar this weekend, and other than operating at reduced capacity, it was basically normal. Disneyland even reopened last week. :shrug:

Yeah but you can't hug Goofy. Fail. :frog:

10023 May 3, 2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

What fanatical restrictions? I went ate at two restaurants (one inside) and went to a bar this weekend, and other than operating at reduced capacity, it was basically normal. Disneyland even reopened last week. :shrug:

I came from Miami so it was like going back into lockdown by comparison. You don’t have bars that are open, it’s table service only, everywhere is pretty quiet etc.

edale May 3, 2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9268699)
I came from Miami so it was like going back into lockdown by comparison. You don’t have bars that are open, it’s table service only, everywhere is pretty quiet etc.

Ok so not being able to sit shoulder to shoulder at a bar = lockdown? Damn dude you are something else :koko:

It is still somewhat quiet, I will agree with that. But that's more a symptom of people being hesitant to get back to normal rather than 'fanatical restrictions' imposed by the government. The pandemic was very bad in LA Nov-Jan, and I think people have taken it pretty seriously. That's a good thing, I think.

homebucket May 3, 2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow (Post 9268161)
^^ For Cook County, 32% of all residents, 40% of those over 18, and 61% of those over 65 are fully vaccinated. Illinois is at 31.3 % fully vaccinated and 47.2% for at least one shot. By the time you are here we should be well over 50% one shot and hopefully over 40% fully vaccinated. Cases had ticked up, but last week started to subside again.

Restaurants and stores are really beginning to re-open/expand hours. Fireworks at Navy Pier every Saturday night. The Cubs and White Soxs are playing before crowds.
The traffic is getting worse. All good things!

Still quite low.

In SF, 43% of all residents, 49% of those 16+, and 73% of those 65+ have been fully vaccinated.

63% of all residents, 72% of those 16+, and 86% of those 65+ have received at least one dose.

the urban politician May 3, 2021 11:39 PM

It’s the vaccines, dummy. It’s not the lockdowns—sorry Mayors and Governors, but you didn’t save your cities and municipalities. You just bankrupted everyone.

Science saved us. The vaccine is the solution. Period.

I live dining out, going to movies, etc. Ever since my shots it’s been much better.

jtown,man May 3, 2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

What fanatical restrictions? I ate at two restaurants (one inside) and went to a bar this weekend, and other than operating at reduced capacity, it was basically normal. Disneyland even reopened last week. :shrug:

Wow, Disney just opened!? It's been open in Florida for the last 11 months LOL

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9268709)
Ok so not being able to sit shoulder to shoulder at a bar = lockdown? Damn dude you are something else :koko:

It is still somewhat quiet, I will agree with that. But that's more a symptom of people being hesitant to get back to normal rather than 'fanatical restrictions' imposed by the government. The pandemic was very bad in LA Nov-Jan, and I think people have taken it pretty seriously. That's a good thing, I think.

No one need fret. If SF (and maybe LA) makes the yellow tier tomorrow, he'll be able to sit at that bar and do so safely (which I'm not sure can really be said about Miami at this point: According to The NY Times FL is averaging 23 cases/100,000/day statewide and Miami is worse than that average while CA is averaging only 5 cases/100,000/day and neither LA nor SF is any longer a hotspot).

Meanwhile, 9% of the LA population and 7% of San Francisco's are "vaccine hesitant" according to the CDC while in Dade County it's 19% according to the CDC ( https://data.cdc.gov/stories/s/Vacci...D-19/cnd2-a6zw ). CA is going vaccinate all but a tiny minority of its population and reopen safely. It's less clear about FL.

craigs May 4, 2021 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9268699)

Oh, what a heavy burden Lord Pretend must bear--it's not noisy enough! Not every single bar is open!

Won't someone relieve His Heinous of this ghastly oppression?

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9268750)
Wow, Disney just opened!? It's been open in Florida for the last 11 months LOL

Yes, and Disney has been very unhappy about the state of CA not buying their profit-driven assurances.

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9268859)
Oh, what a heavy burden Lord Pretend must bear--it's not noisy enough! Not every single bar is open!

Won't someone relieve His Heinous of this ghastly oppression?

He's going back to London where they are serious about their lockdowns.

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9268727)
Still quite low.

In SF, 43% of all residents, 49% of those 16+, and 73% of those 65+ have been fully vaccinated.

63% of all residents, 72% of those 16+, and 86% of those 65+ have received at least one dose.

And the city is still pumping vaccine into arms at a rate of nearly 1% of the eligible population (7000 people) per day. See what I posted just above about our rate of vaccine hesitancy--it's remarkably low. And it will mean that the city, at least, will probably truly reach "herd immunity" once we can start vaccinating the kids too while other parts of the country may not.

Incidentally, I don't think it's a coincidence that the national rate of vaccination began to plummet contemporaneously with the ill-advised suspension of the J&J vaccine. It appears the typical American isn't able to distinguish between the rare side effects that MAY (it's still unclear whether the cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenia among those vaccinated exceeded the rate among an unvaccinated group) be associated with the J&J and Astrazenica technology and the very different technology from Pfizer and Moderna. The suspension seems to have scared many people away from all available coronavirus vaccines. As one might guess (based on educational attainment stats), San Franciscans seem smarter than the national average and are able to make these distinctions.

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 8:44 AM

Check out your town's "vaccine hesitancy" (you can roll over the link to see percentages):

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...117736/enhance
https://data.cdc.gov/stories/s/Vacci...D-19/cnd2-a6zw

10023 May 4, 2021 9:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9268709)

I disagree that fear and hesitancy amongst younger people who have never been at risk from the virus is a good thing. It’s a product of a government and media fear campaign that will probably have lasting mental health consequences more severe than any other health impact on these generations.

mrnyc May 4, 2021 1:01 PM

^ instead of your bar buddies, tell that to those who other similarly reckless people made sick or killed.

touristy new orleans is big easying back to life:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-new-...om-11620120601

TWAK May 4, 2021 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9268992)
I disagree that fear and hesitancy amongst younger people who have never been at risk from the virus is a good thing. It’s a product of a government and media fear campaign that will probably have lasting mental health consequences more severe than any other health impact on these generations.

So are you saying that you fear the impact of the lockdowns? If that's the case, then what is so bad about somebody fearing the virus? It's acting on the same thing, and both sides are doing it. Consider that every statement you have said about covid, can be molded into a comment about the impact of the lockdowns...
"the number of lockdowns doesn't matter"
"everybody has been impacted by the lockdowns so it's not a big deal"
"in any given year there are millions of lockdowns"

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 5:11 PM

Quote:

Working from home 'doesn't work for those who want to hustle': JPMorgan CEO
BY ELIZABETH DILTS MARSHALL, REUTERS - 11:28 AM ET 5/4/2021

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Working from home does not work for everyone, especially those who want "to hustle," JPMorgan Chase & Co's chief executive said on Tuesday at a conference in New York.

The largest American bank recently told it workers that it expects all U.S.-based employees back in offices on a rotational basis by early July, subject to current public health rules limiting office capacity to 50%.

Bank CEO Jamie Dimon said he wants people back at work because exclusively working from home "doesn't work for young people."

"It doesn't work for those who want to hustle. It doesn't work for spontaneous idea generation. It doesn't work for culture," Dimon said at a conference hosted by the Wall Street Journal . . . .
https://www.fidelity.com/news/articl...2CL1HQ-OUSBS_1

Steely Dan May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Quote:

Lightfoot sets goal to ‘fully open’ Chicago by July 4
The Chicago Auto Show already is set to open July 15. But getting “fully open” by July 4 also could mean the return of Lollapalooza, Taste of Chicago and the Air & Water Show, the city’s most popular and iconic summer events.

By Fran Spielman May 4, 2021, 11:37am CDT

McCormick Place will reawaken from its 14-month, pandemic-induced slumber with the July 15 return of the Chicago Auto Show — and Mayor Lori Lightfoot said her goal is to get the city “fully open” by July 4.

“I am working night and day toward this goal. … But, we and I need you to continue to be on this journey with us. And that means getting vaccinated now — as soon as possible,” Lightfoot told reporters at McCormick Place, where details of the auto show return were announced.

“Every day that our COVID-19 metrics continue to tick downward brings us a day closer to being able to put this pandemic in the rearview mirror. And we are too close to accomplishing this mission to give up now. Our goal … is to be fully open by July 4th.”
full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/5/...zker-lightfoot