SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man Apr 11, 2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9245316)
The state line of MI with OH/Indy is noticeable. That is puzzling, the shading should blend along borders.

I noticed that too. Very strange.

SIGSEGV Apr 11, 2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9245331)
I noticed that too. Very strange.

Could be a testing difference...

Camelback Apr 11, 2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9245344)
Could be a testing difference...

Is there a ICU intake rate of the same magnitude along those county lines as well? If that were true, then that would be quite a study to undertake as to why that happened.

Xing Apr 12, 2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9244567)
You guys really need to chill out. You actually think about your risk of exposure if you see someone without a mask on? Really? Do you worry about your risk to your life every time you drive?

38,000 deaths a year (on average) from car accidents in the US.

Over 500,000 deaths from Covid after one year of COVID.

Funny enough, yes I do worry about getting into an accident every time I drive. I’m a pretty paranoid person.

pico44 Apr 12, 2021 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9244738)
The years when you are physically and mentally capable of any activity. In contrast to old age, when at least physical decline limits what you can do.


Aren’t you in your mid thirties by now? I hate to break it to you bud, but your next ten years are going to be...

Disappointing.

Apr 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 9245052)
I think it is more about the workers who are exposed every single day on their 8 hour shift. I think smoking bans are going too far now but I wouldn't eat in a restaurant or go to a bar that allows smoking. Not because I am afraid of cancer but the cigarette smoke really makes for a shitty experience and is annoying as hell.

Not to mention that there are number of other diseases besides cancer that are caused or exacerbated by second-hand smoke: https://www.lung.org/research/sotc/b...condhand-smoke

Apr 12, 2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9244567)
You guys really need to chill out. You actually think about your risk of exposure if you see someone without a mask on? Really? Do you worry about your risk to your life every time you drive? You have a much more statistical probability of getting killed or maimed in a car accident than dying from covid if you under 80. You could walk down the street and a tree branch could break and kill you. Do you worry about slipping in the bathtub and breaking your neck every time you take a shower? You could die at any second without warning from a stroke or a blood clot to the lungs. Eating too many tasty burgers and fries could lead to obesity and heart failure or diabetes. You could get trapped in your room at night during a house fire, do you worry about all of these things constantly?

this is insane. even if YOU might not die from contracting COVID, the more that it spreads the more likely it is that you'll pass it along to somebody who WILL die from it. and even if you don't die, a substantial number of young people who contracted it have had long term health problems, including respiratory and pulmonary problems and mental illness and cognitive dysfunction due to COVID-induced brain swelling.

it's really sad how fucking stupid and selfish about half of Americans are.

10023 Apr 12, 2021 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pico44 (Post 9245431)
Aren’t you in your mid thirties by now? I hate to break it to you bud, but your next ten years are going to be...

Disappointing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am in incredible shape. But yes, I do think that my next 5-10 years are the ones that I am living for and beyond that my quality of life will decline precipitously.

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9245316)
The state line of MI with OH/Indy is noticeable. That is puzzling, the shading should blend along borders.

You have to look at population. The colors are based on cases/100,000. In a very lightly populated county, one or two cases can literally cause them to stand out whereas the county next door may not have any cases or just 1 vs 2 and if it's also lightly populated will have a very different rate/100,000.

For this reason, I don't take this map very seriously in rural regions . . . only in urban areas and cities. So, for example, I think it matters that San Francisco has 4/100,000 whereas Detroit (Wayne County) has 83/100,000.

If you go to the actual link and hover over the county, it shows you the actual number of cases (from which you can calculate population if you want to). But consider that San Francisco and Jefferson County, Arkansas have a similar rate of cases per 100,000 but that means 2.7 average daily cases in Jefferson County but 38 in San Francisco. If Jefferson had one less or one more cases per day, their rate/100,000 would be drastically different. That can certainly happen.

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9245491)
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am in incredible shape. But yes, I do think that my next 5-10 years are the ones that I am living for and beyond that my quality of life will decline precipitously.

Oh, Lord. If I had a nickel for every person I've seen who unexpectedly had an acute cardiovascular episode or came down with some other serious disease out of the blue when "in incredible shape" I'd be really rich. And similarly, plenty of people find their 50s and 60s the most enjoyable times of their lives. Sometimes even later decades.

You are the least empathetic person I have ever heard speak, I believe. Sh*t happens, man, and predicting the future is for fools. Enjoy life now but don't count on it lasting or meaning anything about how your health will be 10 or 20 years from now. All you can do is try to be healthy and it may work or it may not.

JManc Apr 12, 2021 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9245491)
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am in incredible shape. But yes, I do think that my next 5-10 years are the ones that I am living for and beyond that my quality of life will decline precipitously.

If you're in your mid 30's, that means I have at least 10 years on you and my quality of life is certainly no worse than it was in my 20's or 30's...except I go to bed at a more reasonable hour. No reason if you're healthy now, take care of yourself and have the genetics that you shouldn't have another 25-30 years of good quality of life.

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9245525)
If you're in your mid 30's, that means I have at least 10 years on you and my quality of life is certainly no worse than it was in my 20's or 30's...except I go to bed at a more reasonable hour. No reason if you're healthy now, take care of yourself and have the genetics that you shouldn't have another 25-30 years of good quality of life.

I think my 50s and 60s were my best 2 decades by far. I didn't have to work, was healthy and financially comfortable. It was good times.

My work was interesting and challenging but frankly I love getting up in the morning knowing I can do anything I want all day long (including staying in bed as late as I want). And having the time to travel anywhere, anytime although I pretty much got traveling out of my system during my working years.

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 7:07 AM

More evidence that it's a tragedy the monoclonal antibody "cocktails" aren't being used more. With these drugs and the vaccine, it should be rare to end up like those early patients in an ICU on a ventilator. It should be uncommon to even need hospitalization.

Quote:

Covid-19 Drug Prevents Symptomatic Disease in Study, Regeneron Says
By Joseph Walker
Updated April 12, 2021 1:32 am ET

An antibody drug from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. reduced the risk of developing symptomatic Covid-19 infection by 81% compared with a placebo in people living with someone infected by the new coronavirus, a study found.

The results point to potential new preventive applications for the drug, which is already in use to treat earlier Covid-19 cases.

Regeneron said Monday it would ask the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to expand the drug’s authorization among people exposed to the virus who haven’t yet been vaccinated, which could provide temporary stopgap protection as people await vaccines . . . .

“With more than 60,000 Americans continuing to be diagnosed with Covid-19 every day, the REGEN-COV antibody cocktail may help provide immediate protection to unvaccinated people who are exposed to the virus,” said George D. Yancopoulos, Regeneron’s president and chief scientific officer.

Regeneron issued the Phase 3 data in a press release, and the findings haven’t yet been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

The study was jointly conducted by Regeneron and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and includes fuller results than interim findings the company released in January.

REGEN-COV is currently authorized to treat people infected with Covid-19 who have mild to moderate symptoms and are at high risk of developing severe disease because of factors including age or underlying conditions such as obesity.

In studies, the drug reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by about 70% . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...d=hp_lead_pos2

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 7:16 AM

Quote:

Bay Area teens' video shows how to snag a COVID vaccine appointment on My Turn
Jessica Flores
April 11, 2021
Updated: April 11, 2021 3:49 p.m.

Two Foster City high school students first created a Twitter bot to help find COVID-19 vaccine appointments for their parents.

Then their parents’ friends began asking for help. Soon, Sam Mendelson and Daniel Stoiber started receiving an avalanche of inquiries, and the two decided to publicly launch the free bot this month to help more people.

“It quickly expanded beyond an invite-only system, where we just wanted to push this out to more people so more people were able to get vaccines,” said Stoiber, 17.

Video Link

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...D-16093232.php

CaliNative Apr 12, 2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9245496)
You have to look at population. The colors are based on cases/100,000. In a very lightly populated county, one or two cases can literally cause them to stand out whereas the county next door may not have any cases or just 1 vs 2 and if it's also lightly populated will have a very different rate/100,000.

For this reason, I don't take this map very seriously in rural regions . . . only in urban areas and cities. So, for example, I think it matters that San Francisco has 4/100,000 whereas Detroit (Wayne County) has 83/100,000.

If you go to the actual link and hover over the county, it shows you the actual number of cases (from which you can calculate population if you want to). But consider that San Francisco and Jefferson County, Arkansas have a similar rate of cases per 100,000 but that means 2.7 average daily cases in Jefferson County but 38 in San Francisco. If Jefferson had one less or one more cases per day, their rate/100,000 would be drastically different. That can certainly happen.

The difference in cases/100k between SF & Detroit highlights the importance of masks and social distancing even more than the vaccine. Presumably many Detroiters like San Franciscans have been vaccinated, but such a stark difference means masking in public is just as important.

photoLith Apr 12, 2021 10:24 AM

^
What’s your point about masks? You think people in Detroit aren’t wearing masks? I assure you they are, I was just there a couple of weeks ago. If anything it shows that masks are largely pointless. Otherwise in the whole country, cities would have less cases per 100k as everyone in cities are made to wear masks, while in small towns outside of cities, lot of people don’t wear masks when inside businesses.

the urban politician Apr 12, 2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL (Post 9245448)
and even if you don't die, a substantial number of young people who contracted it have had long term health problems, including respiratory and pulmonary problems and mental illness and cognitive dysfunction due to COVID-induced brain swelling.
.

^ Actually, the overwhelming majority of young people have had nothing of the sort. This is just selection bias.

Reality is, most of our major viral upper respiratory illnesses that folks likely never paid attention to caused chronic disease in a small subset of people, it's just that everybody is now tuned into COVID and attribute to it characteristics that many incorrectly believe are unique, I'm guessing because most average people are hearing about these things for the first time.

There is no disease out there in recent memory that gets a daily case & tally, daily headline news, daily reports of every single side effect and death, daily updates on this, that, and the other thing. If you did that with other communicable diseases prior to March 2020 you probably would've been scared shitless to leave your home.

Now, I'm not downplaying how deadly this disease is/was. But we need to focus on WHAT made this deadly, and to not give COVID mysterious & magical powers. It was deadly because 1) it's HIGHLY contagious, and 2) it is particularly lethal to the elderly and people with health conditions. That's it. There is really nothing else unusual or peculiar about this virus.

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2021 2:38 PM

Quote:

Recent Rise in U.S. Covid-19 Cases Driven by Younger People
By Melanie Grayce West and Talal Ansari
April 12, 2021 5:30 am ET

Younger people who haven’t been vaccinated are helping drive a rise in new Covid-19 cases, health officials are finding.

Five states—Michigan, New York, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey—account for some 42% of newly reported cases. In Michigan, adults aged 20 to 39 have the highest daily case rates, new data show. Case rates for children aged 19 and under are at a record, more than quadruple from a month ago. There were 301 reported school outbreaks as of early last week, up from 248 the week prior, according to state data.

Epidemiologists and public-health authorities have pointed to school sports as a major source of Covid-19 transmission. Since January, K-12 sports transmission in Michigan has been highest in basketball, with 376 cases and 100 clusters; in hockey, with 256 cases and 52 clusters; and in wrestling, with 190 cases and 55 clusters. Overall, cases and clusters have occurred in over 15 sport settings, data from the state shows.

Driving the overall uptick among younger people in Michigan, and more broadly, is a confluence of fatigue from the pandemic, which is leading some people to engage in more close contact, and the spread of the more transmissible U.K. variant, known as B.1.1.7 . . .

“Hospitals are seeing more and more younger adults—those in their 30s and 40s—admitted with severe disease,” [said CDC Director Wallensky.

In addition to school sports, large outbreaks have been tied to the recent Easter holiday and spring breaks . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/recent-...=hp_lead_pos13

Presumaby even 30-somethings who believe themselves extremely healthy are potentially at risk if they engage in risky behavior and aten’t vaccinated.

iheartthed Apr 12, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9245638)
The difference in cases/100k between SF & Detroit highlights the importance of masks and social distancing even more than the vaccine. Presumably many Detroiters like San Franciscans have been vaccinated, but such a stark difference means masking in public is just as important.

I'm almost certain that San Francisco has a higher vaccination rate than Detroit. SF County has an overall vaccination rate of 30% vs 18% in Wayne County, MI. The vax rate for the city of Detroit might even be below the county's, particularly for the under 65 population. The current outbreak in MI is skewed much younger than the previous waves.

I doubt there is much difference in mask usage in Detroit and SF. I think it has more to do with what MI has allowed to reopen/resume, particularly in the past two months. Indoor high school sports is believed to have been a major source of spread in MI, for instance.

Yuri Apr 12, 2021 2:42 PM

^^
Down here in Brazil, for the first time since the beginning of the pandemics, people below 40 y/o are now over 50% of the patients on ICUs.

That's big deal, specially as the second wave is much bigger than the first one, with a 7 day-moving average of 3,100 deaths as yesterday, and above 1,000 for the past 85 days as opposed a 1,000 7 day-moving average of the first wave, that lasted "only" 32 days.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.