SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2020 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8891254)
The Florida Keys closed their borders to non-residents. Its easy to do logistically as there is just one road in and out but tough on a tourism based economy. It has largely worked though with very few cases showing up in the Keys.

Uh, aren't they surrounded by a lot of water? All you need is a boat.

dc_denizen Apr 12, 2020 7:05 PM

I don’t appreciate the popery on display here

Clearly England took a wrong turn when they deposed James II. An autocratic monarch a la Louis xiv would have put those unruly puritans and methodists and Baptists and Presbyterians in their place and kept England in the one true faith, the holy Roman Catholic Church...

10023 Apr 12, 2020 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8891002)
The Puritans from England...

That’s why they were kicked out of the country and had to go to Massachusetts. And then American lore casts them as heroes and people in search of religious freedom, when they were really at best a nuisance and at worst a sort of Christian Taliban that the English wanted to be rid of.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8891524)
I would and do. A large part of its economy is no longer collectively owned. It is certainly authoritarian but Marx and Engels mostly get lip service these days.

Totally.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_denizen (Post 8891539)
I don’t appreciate the popery on display here

Clearly England took a wrong turn when they deposed James II. An autocratic monarch a la Louis xiv would have put those unruly puritans and methodists and Baptists and Presbyterians in their place and kept England in the one true faith, the holy Roman Catholic Church...

Less to do with popery, more to do with intolerance on either side. The English had a knack at persecuting fringe religious groups and the Catholics as much as the French had toward the Protestant faith.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8891549)
That’s why they were kicked out of the country and had to go to Massachusetts. And then American lore casts them as heroes and people in search of religious freedom, when they were really at best a nuisance and at worst a sort of Christian Taliban that the English wanted to be rid of.

I'll keep it short and sweet; lol

It's hard to disagree with the disagreeableness of the straight and narrow.

dc_denizen Apr 12, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8891549)

Cromwell was a Puritan and is still considered by britons to be the most popular and effective leaders in history. Hardly a taliban

And after two decadent kings, the puritans has their revenge as James ii was valiantly deposed in the name of the Protestant faith

Religious freedom, which was a founding cornerstone of the 13 colonies (outside mass) btw hardly applied in the England if you were catholic . Being catholic in England around 1700=Like being a hazara under the taliban

Learn some history, English

Failte Apr 12, 2020 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8890981)
It’s not a novel idea. America is a nation founded by Puritans, and moral lecturing has been a strain throughout its entire history, from Manifest Destiny through to the Neoconservative project of “spreading democracy” (by force if necessary).

Great country, but let’s call it like it is.

...and what would have happened if the US didn't have ''manifest destiny''?

hauntedheadnc Apr 12, 2020 8:49 PM

I've been noticing it more over the past week or so working from home, but it's gotten to the point that my cats now feel very strongly that nothing in this house can be accomplished without feline assistance and close feline supervision. By this point I would like to laugh in the face of anyone who would describe a cat as aloof or independent.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_denizen (Post 8891560)
Cromwell was a Puritan and is still considered by britons to be the most popular and effective leaders in history. Hardly a taliban

And after two decadent kings, the puritans has their revenge as James ii was valiantly deposed in the name of the Protestant faith

Religious freedom, which was a founding cornerstone of the 13 colonies (outside mass) btw hardly applied in the England if you were catholic . Being catholic in England around 1700=Like being a hazara under the taliban

Learn some history, English

Axe the Irish Catholics how they feel about Cromwell. It might add a little twist to your take on history.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 9:21 PM

On another note, I've been dreaming of getting a tattoo, some scarification, a couple of rings sticking from my nose, and why not, a few implants, maybe horns on my forehead to complete the picture.

I wonder if there are any emergency tattoo parlors open, at least one deemed essential by the powers that be, in my community.

I just can't stand the thought of not having at least one tattoo!!!

What is going to happen to all those parlors when this crisis is over?

Will it mean a decline or a resurgence of this trend?

Pedestrian Apr 12, 2020 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8891553)
Less to do with popery, more to do with intolerance on either side. The English had a knack at persecuting fringe religious groups and the Catholics as much as the French had toward the Protestant faith.

But Charles I, in 1632, gave the Catholics, in the person of Sir George Calvert, the future state of Maryland, so there's that. What did the French ever give the Protestants (aside from death)?

As for the house cat, yeah--she does seem to have gotten more clingy, following me around whining which is unusual for her.

montréaliste Apr 12, 2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8891699)
But Charles I, in 1632, gave the Catholics, in the person of Sir George Calvert, the future state of Maryland, so there's that. What did the French ever give the Protestants (aside from death)?

As for the house cat, yeah--she does seem to have gotten more clingy, following me around whining which is unusual for her.

Emancipation laws (for Catholics and Jews) under Napoleon happened in 1802, while in the United Kingdom, (for Catholics and Jews), they happened in 1829.

Matthew Apr 12, 2020 10:20 PM

I see many discussions on cats preventing people from working. If you have young children, they go through the house finding things and insist on showing them to you, as if they found an amazing treasure. They always seem to find the worst time to do this. Like when you're talking with someone though video chat. Even on these forums, sometimes it can take a while for me to post, due to this. I only have one. I can't imagine what it's like with two or three. They also like to make repetitive noises and turn-on things and walk out of the room, including water. And if you think something is out-of-reach, they will surprise you.

There is nothing like spending Easter waiting for severe thunderstorms to arrive. It's foggy and somewhat cool outside. My wife Lauren so desperately wants to leave the house. She speaks of her favorite closed restaurants and places she wants to go almost every day. There is nothing to do and no where to go. I guess I've just accepted it. We haven't been to the city (Atlanta) in a long time and I do miss not going into the city. At least we didn't have to go out for most of pollen season.

In the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta, I would roughly estimate only 35% of store customers wear a mask. I've seen one food delivery driver without a mask. Most store employees wear them now. The cleanest store is Publix. My wife was nearly run-over with a shopping cart while picking-up a pack of toilet paper. If you find it, be aware people are prepared to nearly fight over it. She was inspecting her favorite shoes after the incident. So many people aren't social distancing. I haven't been to the stores since they started one-way shopping. In the mountains of Northern Georgia, the locals are trying to close tourist attractions and make it clear they don't want people from hot spots visiting their counties. They asked the Governor to close state parks. Some have talked about how difficult it is to get food and supplies up there and don't want outsiders buying out their stores, too. It's an interesting time and I'm sure we will one day have great stories to tell.

mousquet Apr 13, 2020 6:42 PM

Psst, this whole debate about churches is merely pointless.

Jesus never really trusted any 'religious' or political establishment. He only trusted in endless space and infinity.
That's why they wanted him dead. They all were so jealous about him. Then they all died from envy and jealousy at him, while He never died.

The Lord understood everything about life way sooner than anyone of us ever did. It will yet take thousands of years for us to figure it out.

Notice that contemporary Jews or Romans have nothing much to do with it. They only bear it as a motherfucking burden.

Mankind is full of sin anyway. The fact that you'd be Jewish, Muslim, supposedly Christian, Chinese, Black, White or whatever is simply meaningless.
I don't give a fuck what you say. Only the Lord is true dope.

sopas ej Apr 13, 2020 8:14 PM

From ABC7 Los Angeles:

CA commissioner orders insurers to refund premiums to drivers amid coronavirus pandemic
California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara ordered insurance companies to return premiums paid for at least March and April. It will extend through May if stay-at-home restrictions continue.

Updated 2 hours ago

Relief is coming for auto insurance customers in California as people are driving far less during the coronavirus emergency.

California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara is ordering all insurance companies to return premiums effective Monday.

The order covers premiums paid for at least March and April. It will extend through May if shelter-in-place restrictions continue.

Insurance companies will have no later than August to comply.

Some insurers like Allstate, State Farm and American Family have already voluntarily offered to return premiums to their customers.

Additionally, Allstate said it is also offering anyone in the United States, whether or not they are an Allstate customer, free identity protection for the rest of the year "since our lives have become more digital."

Locally, the notoriously heavy traffic in Los Angeles has been nearly non-existent since the "safer-at-home" order went into effect.

ABC7 spoke with California Highway Patrol Officer Robert Gomez via Skype about the fortuitous development.

"The good news is there's less traffic, but what that comes more speeders, erratic drivers," Gomez said.

The amount of calls to the CHP have dropped compared to the number of fender-benders that occurred during normal gridlock before the coronavirus outbreak.

But now the agency is receiving calls and witnessing more rollover incidents, single-car collisions and more ambulances responding due to the higher volume of speeders on the empty roads, which in turn results in more dangerous results.

Link: https://abc7.com/automotive/ca-order...rLLM6tXqX4b1fA

Pedestrian Apr 13, 2020 9:15 PM

So here's a new one:

Quote:

Davis police catch suspect in coronavirus theft: Just before noon Sunday, Davis Police officers caught a man suspected of stealing a specimen of the novel coronavirus from Sutter Davis Hospital the day before, the department said in an email to The Chronicle. Shaun Lamar Moore, a 40-year-old Davis resident, was booked into the Yolo County Jail on burglary charges, according to DPD. “Police are familiar with Moore and are determining whether any mental health conditions played a factor in this incident,” the department said. “Although the incident is very serious, detectives do not believe he intended to harm himself or others.”
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...a-15192855.php

And I suppose this is one way to look at it:

Quote:

SF homeless tents, once seen as problem, now seen as path to coronavirus social distancing: From the Tenderloin to the Castro to the Richmond, the shelter-in-place order has caused an explosion of homeless tents popping up on sidewalks all across San Francisco — and it comes with the blessing of the city. With the city’s already crowded shelters unable to provide the required social distancing, city officials have decided tents are the next best thing. So for now the tents that the city worked so hard to remove in recent years are back and pretty much untouchable.

Seems a remarkable accomplishment to me (just 14 deaths in a city of 900,000):

Quote:

San Francisco cases increase by 15: San Francisco reported a total of 872 coronavirus cases and 14 deaths Sunday — an increase of 15 cases and 1 death in the past 24 hours, according to data provided by the city’s Department of Public Health.

Pedestrian Apr 13, 2020 9:34 PM

At last, the silver lining in the coronavirus cloud:

Quote:

Bay Area cities should just get rid of crosswalk buttons
By Adam Brinklow Apr 13, 2020, 11:05am PDT

Cities across the Bay Area can help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus and make pedestrians happier at the same time by eliminating one of the least efficient elements of transit design—the questionably responsive crosswalk button.

At a public meeting in Emeryville last week, civil engineer Ryan O’Connell announced that pedestrians no longer need to push the buttons on city-owned traffic signal poles because crosswalk signals activate automatically . . . .

The idea is to spare people having to put their fingers on a non-sanitized surface touched by countless others before, but the idea of eliminating the often annoying button system poses the question of why it exists in the first place?

As many people suspect, the act of pushing crosswalk buttons, which are ostensibly supposed to signal the traffic lighting schematic to adhere to a pedestrian’s need to cross the street, doesn’t have any effect on the pattern of the traffic signals at most Bay Area intersections . . . .

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/4/13/2121...lk%2520buttons

sopas ej Apr 13, 2020 10:27 PM

:previous:

Video Link

And in Los Angeles, for decades now, in the Fairfax District at least, the crosswalk signals are tripped by sensors that knows someone is standing at the intersection, so that Orthodox Jews don't have to press the beg button during Shabbat.

Pedestrian Apr 13, 2020 10:30 PM

The way things are in my little town near Tucson:

Quote:

The Arizona Department of Health Services on Sunday began reporting COVID-19 cases by ZIP code.

Breaking down the numbers below the county level answers a big question: How widespread is this in our community?

. . . Monday’s numbers indicate 85614 has 42 reported cases, which is among the highest for a ZIP code in Southern Arizona.

Some media outlets have already decided this means Green Valley is a “hot spot” for coronavirus without digging deeper. That’s lazy journalism.

First, let’s clear up just who lives in 85614, because it’s a lot more than Green Valley.

The ZIP code includes part of Green Valley and large parts of Sahuarita (including La Posada, Quail Creek, a few southern neighborhoods and several large shopping districts). It reaches southeast to Madera Canyon and to the west to include Freeport McMoRan’s Sierrita mining operation. This is a good reminder that ZIP code boundaries often don’t match community boundaries.

But there’s something more important than geography. What types of services are within those boundaries? Specifically, care homes.

There are several, and our reporting so far has pinpointed more than 35 cases between just two of them
, The Villas of Green Valley and Santa Rita Nursing and Rehabilitation. Both have taken big steps to ensure the virus doesn’t spread, and we’ve reported on this.

We’re watching them closely — they have older, vulnerable people and things could go sideways at any point. But for now, the bulk of the ZIP code’s cases are in those two spots. We should note that it appears at least half the cases are employees.

The ZIP code also includes Santa Cruz Valley Regional Hospital, which has handled quite a few cases of COVID-19. According to the state, if a patient’s residence is unknown, cases are mapped to the address of the reporting facility. That could account for the high number.

. . . There are most likely hundreds of cases undetected or unreported. Maybe thousands. Just in our area.

https://www.gvnews.com/news/coronavi...e1205b404.html

I admit that's something of a wake-up call. I hadn't realized there were any definite cases in town.