SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

glynnjamin Mar 18, 2011 1:24 PM

^That list reads like a "Who's Who" of failed Phoenix development projects...

scottkag Mar 18, 2011 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5205939)
^That list reads like a "Who's Who" of failed Phoenix development projects...

It also includes some of the largest projects completed downtown in recent years.

Vicelord John Mar 18, 2011 3:40 PM

Lmost sounds like row homes ha wouldnt that suck if it was a 2-3 story building.

PHX31 Mar 18, 2011 4:20 PM

/\ I'd rather see 2-3 story row homes in that area than anything else. North of Fillmore needs low-rise density. Not high rises.

Vicelord John Mar 18, 2011 4:25 PM

I think 5-7 would be perfect. Savethe low rise stuff for the burbs.

dtnphx Mar 18, 2011 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5206137)
/\ I'd rather see 2-3 story row homes in that area than anything else. North of Fillmore needs low-rise density. Not high rises.

I agree. The area needs dense, but scaled down development. I would suit the area better.

Leo the Dog Mar 18, 2011 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5206146)
I think 5-7 would be perfect. Savethe low rise stuff for the burbs.

If done right, a low-rise, 2-3 story development could create the most urban residential district in central Phx.

HooverDam Mar 18, 2011 8:02 PM

Here's a tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5dqpbHhmI

A mock up of a potential design for the W Downtown. This particular design looks really slick and much better than the one we thought we would get for a while. It also from some angles in the animation appears to be a new tallest for PHX, though I'm not sure thats possible (zoning wise) at that location.

HX_Guy Mar 18, 2011 8:09 PM

Thats crazy nice. Damn I hope it happens some day.

davidmperre@gmail.co Mar 18, 2011 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5206431)
Here's a tease:

A mock up of a potential design for the W Downtown. This particular design looks really slick and much better than the one we thought we would get for a while. It also from some angles in the animation appears to be a new tallest for PHX, though I'm not sure thats possible (zoning wise) at that location.

Whoa what an awesome tower design! I hope that gets built!
maybe someday Phoenix could look like this.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/49620000

PHX31 Mar 18, 2011 9:01 PM

Quote:

Here's a tease:

That's sweet! Didn't quite look like a new tallest, but definitely over 400'. Is the W still being talked about at all anymore? Is this possible?

(p.s. it looks like they accounted for the Sun Merchantile building and left it in place. That's a bonus.

dtnphx Mar 18, 2011 9:07 PM

Quote:

Here's a tease:

That was awesome. Makes me wonder why they would spend all that money to produce something like that after all this time. Could W be reevaluating? I hope so. The design looks cool and those shots down Jefferson..wowza!

HX_Guy Mar 18, 2011 9:11 PM

The video description says...

Quote:

This video is an innovative marriage of video and animation created by the Kitchen Sink Studios, Inc. team for DAVIS Architects.

The animation depicts DAVIS' concept for a W Hotel in downtown Phoenix next to US Airways Center. While the project has been put on hold, the design was so bold and innovative that DAVIS wanted to show what kind of dramatic effect it might have on the Phoenix skyline should construction resume at some point in the future.

Kitchen Sink's creative team wanted to show a glimpse inside of the minds of the DAVIS team, so we actually filmed them as they "designed" the building from the ground up on tablet computers, making it literally rise into the air with each stroke of their fingertips.

The video then shows the dramatic design elements, including some striking balcony features and an exterior design with sharp and dramatic edges that make it a true visual attraction in the context of the existing Phoenix skyline. The video also uses time-lapse photography, combined with the animation, to show the kind of energy, foot traffic and life it would bring to the downtown area.

Don B. Mar 19, 2011 3:23 PM

^ Impressive. I hope it happens soon.

--don

Leo the Dog Mar 19, 2011 4:23 PM

Could be Phoenix's "LA Live".

HooverDam Mar 19, 2011 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5207232)
Could be Phoenix's "LA Live".

If the W, the "Legends Entertainment District" signage project and Jackson Street Entertainment District ever happen you could be right. Though I'd hope it would all feel a bit more organic than LA Live. It likely would since JSED would mean a lot of adaptive reuse of historic warehouses and such.

Vicelord John Mar 19, 2011 5:04 PM

And because it is all separate projects.

combusean Mar 21, 2011 6:29 AM

The Pappas school is now several piles of rubble, with some grading already completed on the north end.

I cannot even find a demolition permit, let alone further information. Anyone know what's up?

HooverDam Mar 22, 2011 8:09 AM

^ No idea about the Pappas School site. It is City Owned land, so hopefully they're putting it to some good use.

On another note, an article from AzCentral on Mayor Gordon:

Quote:

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon has lofty goals, little time

Term-limited mayor aims to lure jobs, development

8 comments by Lynh Bui - Mar. 22, 2011 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

When Phil Gordon gives his final State of the City address next week, he'll have nine months to accomplish some final lofty goals.

The Phoenix mayor wants to bring 35,000 new jobs to the Valley, attract a four-year university from the East Coast to downtown, and start hiring and training police officers again after a more than three-year freeze amid shrinking budgets.

But as Gordon looks to seal his mayoral legacy, the term-limited mayor faces political and economic challenges that could put those dreams out of reach.

He'll be leading a City Council with at least four of nine members running for re-election or to fill his seat. Consensus likely will be difficult as they start posturing for their own campaigns.

At the same time, Arizona is recovering from a deep recession, and some companies are still wary of coming to the Valley because of political controversy over the state's anti-illegal-immigrant legislation. Economic realities make new jobs and more city spending seem less likely.

Then, there's the obvious hurdle.

"There's not a lot of time," said Gordon, who turns 60 in April and was first elected in 2003 and re-elected in 2007. "It's going to go quickly."

Facing a time crunch

Barry Broome, president and chief executive of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, said Gordon's legacy "is sealed as a mayor that worked hard on the city's economy."

With less than a year left, "it's really important for an incumbent mayor to do what he can finish," Broome said, whether it's completing what he started or taking care not to launch new initiatives that can't be completed in a limited time frame.

Gordon said he will focus on three key goals:

- New development downtown.

Gordon's time as mayor has focused on revitalizing downtown Phoenix by bringing an ASU campus and medical school to the area.

"Downtown still reflects what Phoenix is seen as, whether it's on TV, to visitors or to businesses," Gordon said. "They're always coming and seeing the heart of our community."

He said he now is working on bringing a new county teaching hospital to downtown and developing public-private partnerships to fund Arizona State University's law school, planned for Taylor and First streets. He said he also aims to develop a marketing district around the downtown sports venues to attract more people and retail by lighting up the streets with electronic billboards and animated signs.

The Legends Entertainment District could open as soon as July, when the Major League Baseball All-Star Game lands in Phoenix.But the hospital and other major downtown development may not come to life, said Martin Shultz, a Valley business leader who also worked as a chief of staff to several past Phoenix mayors.

"The odds are highly probable that that's not going to happen," Shultz said. Although there may be some announcements about new development downtown, the economy will be a major stumbling block, he said.

ASU President Michael Crow said it will be at least another year and a half before significant progress is made on the law school.

- Job creation.

Earlier this year, Gordon announced that he would work with Gov. Jan Brewer to bring more than 35,000 new jobs to the Valley.

But those efforts may be stalled. Gordon was hoping at least one-third of those jobs would come from a Chinese manufacturing company looking to bring 10,000 jobs to Phoenix. Landing the company, which Gordon declined to identify, could establish a workforce on par with what Intel or Honeywell International has in the Valley. Recently, however, talks with the company have stalled, Gordon said.

Gordon also has been increasing trade talks with foreign countries, hoping to sway companies from places such as Mexico and the Middle East to invest in Phoenix. But, he said, it will be challenging for Arizona, which is still suffering from image problems because of tough, anti-illegal-immigrant laws the state Legislature approved in recent years.

- Hiring police.

When Gordon campaigned for mayor in 2003, he vowed to make Phoenix "the safest city in America" and was a rallying force behind two public-safety taxes voters approved to expand the police force.

But because of budget cuts, reduced sales-tax revenue and a citywide hiring freeze, the city hasn't hired recruits since 2008, leaving the Police Department with more than 500 vacancies for sworn officers.

Gordon wants to find ways to lift the hiring freeze to, at minimum, keep the vacancies from going much beyond 500 positions.

"We've got to stop the hemorrhaging," Gordon said.

To pay for it, Gordon said, he is considering cutting other city programs, dipping into contingency funds or raising revenue by seeking a new public-safety tax or adding a surcharge on criminal tickets.

While police have been in a hiring freeze, city crime rates in every major category have dropped to the lowest they've been since the 1980s, a trend Gordon said he wants to maintain.

Proposing a public-safety tax would be politically challenging, Gordon said, but "somebody's got to stand up and talk about this."

"By maintaining quality of life and maintaining public safety, it makes us more competitive economically," Gordon said.

Politicians may not have the appetite to support tax increases in the middle of an election year, especially after the city made painful cuts to shore up a $277 million budget shortfall last year.

Councilwoman Peggy Neely, who is considering running for mayor, said that Phoenix has managed to reduce crime rates despite the budget shortfalls and that it may not be the right time to consider a tax or hire officers.

She said Phoenix has done a good job of managing with the resources it has so far.

"We've put ourselves on a financial diet, and we have to stay on that track until we see the economy coming back to a level where we are confident our taxes are going to increase," Neely said.

'Keep a steady hand'

Shultz said Gordon should work on maintaining stability in the city, especially because Phoenix is poised to see a drastic shift in leadership by the end of the year.

"All he has to do is keep a steady hand on guiding Phoenix out of the Great Recession and into the next chapter of our history," Shultz said. "If there's not any great flare-up, he can leave office and go down as a very active mayor who focused on the development of downtown, the economy and jobs."

Paul Barnes, head of the Neighborhood Coalition of Phoenix, said the City Council is already becoming politically fractured as some members prepare for the Aug. 30 election.

Most recently, council members were divided on whether to remove Police Chief Jack Harris from overseeing the daily operations of the Police Department. He had come under fire amid questions about the credibility of kidnapping statistics the city used to win a $1.7 million federal grant. Gordon and other council members threw their unequivocal support to Harris after news of Harris' reassignment spread. But several other elected officials supported the city manager's decision to oust Harris until the city and the federal government complete a probe of the numbers.

"You're seeing the chaos now," Barnes said. "You see it in how the affair with Harris got politicized."

Building consensus will be important for Gordon if he wants to see his policy agenda come to life. The council will also have to reach consensus on other issues, including how to close a fiscal 2011-12 general-fund deficit estimated to range from $50 million to $80 million.

"Whatever Phil is going to be able to get done will be difficult because nine months in government is a blink of an eye," said former Phoenix Mayor Paul Johnson, a longtime friend of Gordon's. "He can get his agenda done, but he has to position it in such a way that it's helpful for the people running for mayor and council."

But Gordon already has achieved significant success in office through conceiving the partnership with ASU and downtown and bringing it to life during his time as mayor, Johnson said.

"Phil has one of the best legacies of any mayor I know," Johnson said. "Sometimes, he doesn't recognize that. Now, he needs to realize that he should focus on delivering a financially well-run city and to help hand over the reins of leadership to the next mayor.

"He needs to help make the new mayor and council successful."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1HJVAHAgU

Its disappointing to hear its going to take so long to make any progress on the Downtown Law School. Who knows what will happen with all of that depending on who the next mayor is.

Good call Combusean btw on the potential 10K jobs to PHX being a Chinese manufacturer. Hopefully talks on that pick back up, it would be great.

I was also interested by the one line mention of attracting an East Coast 4 year college to Downtown. I assume that would just be a satellite campus for whatever school, but continuing to strengthen downtowns niche as an education hub is always a good thing. The Pappas School site could be used for something like that or an expansion of PC-Downtown (especially if PC ever became a 4 year university and the PC Downtown campus became a full on CC).

pbenjamin Mar 22, 2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5205417)
That sounds right, so does he represent owners/developers that are good, or bad?

He had to do with some pretty high profile project/development within the past few years. I just can't remember which.

Lazarus is a zoning attorney, has been around forever. In the 80's, the "Big 3" zoning attorneys were Lazarus, Paul Gilbert (Beus, Gilbert) and Grady Gammage, Jr. I had a bit of contact with all three when I was Chair of the PV Village Planning Committee in those days. He was considered a shark but seemed pretty fair in my dealings with him. Don't know much about him since. He has Diamondbacks season tickets and sits a few rows behind the owners (and a few rows in front of me).