SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 10, 2021 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9213897)
Umi Sushi will be re-opening in the Cornwall Centre, as it is currently closed for renovation. Good to know that they haven't closed permanently.

Phew! Great news :).

yveseluj Mar 17, 2021 9:27 PM

Normanview Brewsters is closing at the end of the month.

TechnicalRecession Mar 18, 2021 11:12 PM

Mexican food

Has anyone heard what's going on with Malinche? They recently announced they are closing their little restaurant in Pile of Bones and their facebook page kind of alludes to a new restaurant but they are kind of vague about it, other than to say something may be in the works in the future. I also heard a rumour they are opening their own restaurant. Maybe Malinche is going in the building across from yqr market that got approval to open a restaurant from the city and I think there is construction going on. Would be a good spot and is a nice old, red brick building.

TechnicalRecession Mar 18, 2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession (Post 9222500)
Has anyone heard what's going on with Malinche? They recently announced they are closing their little restaurant in Pile of Bones and their facebook page kind of alludes to a new restaurant but they are kind of vague about it, other than to say something may be in the works in the future. I also heard a rumour they are opening their own restaurant. Maybe Malinche is going in the building across from yqr market that got approval to open a restaurant from the city and I think there is construction going on. Would be a good spot and is a nice old, red brick building.

Forgot to mention that a new kitchen called Kith and Kin is opening in Malinche's place in Pile o Bones. Sounds like a more traditional beer hall type of food but that is yet to be announce.

aberrant Mar 19, 2021 4:02 AM

I am trying to find out what is going in across the street from Local and Fresh... lots of wild rumors floating around.

djforsberg Mar 19, 2021 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9221127)
Normanview Brewsters is closing at the end of the month.

I heard a new Vic’s Tavern will be going in there but I’m not sure how solid that rumor is.

Jorizan Mar 20, 2021 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9222908)
I heard a new Vic’s Tavern will be going in there but I’m not sure how solid that rumor is.

I also heard this. Vic’s will be moving into the bar side and a weed shop will be moving into the restaurant side.

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 20, 2021 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 9222722)
I am trying to find out what is going in across the street from Local and Fresh... lots of wild rumors floating around.

I know what it is, but can’t say. It will compliment what is across the street however. :)

TechnicalRecession Mar 20, 2021 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9223882)
I know what it is, but can’t say. It will compliment what is across the street however. :)

Can you at least tell us if it is an existing operation (like Vics) that is moving or opening a new place, or something completely new and interesting to the city?

Perhaps it is for Meld, who is currently operating the food counter in the yqr market building.

TechnicalRecession Mar 20, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 9222722)

Hey aberrant do you know what is going on with the big warehouse building on Dewdney across the street close to Rebellion. All the windows are boarded up so not sure if the place is undergoing a gut job for some project or it is just boarded up and the owner is hoping to tear down at some point.

aberrant Mar 21, 2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession (Post 9223949)
Hey aberrant do you know what is going on with the big warehouse building on Dewdney across the street close to Rebellion. All the windows are boarded up so not sure if the place is undergoing a gut job for some project or it is just boarded up and the owner is hoping to tear down at some point.

I believe the initial plan was office space, but that was year's ago. I know someone wanted to put in a brewery on the main floor (they asked for my blessing), but they ultimately chose a different location.

StealthGirl Mar 24, 2021 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession (Post 9222500)

Are they the owners behind Agave Mexican Grill which is opening soon, I believe, in the old Press Box location on Albert?

https://www.facebook.com/agavemexigrill

Drofmab Mar 26, 2021 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9227438)
Are they the owners behind Agave Mexican Grill which is opening soon, I believe, in the old Press Box location on Albert?

https://www.facebook.com/agavemexigrill

Nope - different owners.

cityboy Mar 31, 2021 5:31 PM

Acre 21

I just noticed a sign for Tamarind going in across from Popeyes. I'm happy to see another non-chain restaurant and with Caraway open now in Aurora we are in good shape in the East end for Indian Cuisine! I'd love to see a locally owned pup or coffee house in Acre 21 as well.

McBean Apr 2, 2021 7:53 PM

Anyone here old enough to remember that old man that had a little popcorn stand downtown? I loved that place as a kid. Wish the downtown had some more things like that today.

Draftsman Apr 3, 2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9236950)
Anyone here old enough to remember that old man that had a little popcorn stand downtown? I loved that place as a kid. Wish the downtown had some more things like that today.

I do! It was the Alexce family (pronounced alek-sy), started by John Alecxe, and then run by his son, Harry.

I remember the old wheeled cart, as they would take it to the exhibition every year and sell popcorn and warm peanuts in a bag.

Ahh....being a young kid in the 1960's!

By the way, just Google 'Alexce' as there are a lot of items about them.

CCF Apr 8, 2021 9:36 PM

Looks like Hobo Donuts is closing. Unfortunately, didn't last long.

McBean Apr 9, 2021 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF (Post 9242712)
Looks like Hobo Donuts is closing. Unfortunately, didn't last long.

You knew it would happen. That donut place and the vegan place Gud next door both lasted a few months.

LittleBoy Apr 9, 2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession (Post 9223948)
Can you at least tell us if it is an existing operation (like Vics) that is moving or opening a new place, or something completely new and interesting to the city?

Perhaps it is for Meld, who is currently operating the food counter in the yqr market building.

I won’t say specifically what it is but it is an existing operation from very close by, unfortunately nothing new or overly exciting.

yveseluj Apr 9, 2021 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9242981)
You knew it would happen. That donut place and the vegan place Gud next door both lasted a few months.

Owner said it was not due to lack of sales or covid. He routinely sells out in a few hours. Cited mental health reasons and the need to just step back.