SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

phoenixwillrise Dec 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Should have said,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABQalex (Post 8775792)
Albuquerque has pro sports, just not major league. The New Mexico United soccer team and Albuquerque Isotopes baseball team. Both are one step below the major leagues. The New Mexico United was tops in attendance for all minor league soccer teams this past season. The Isotopes as well have been in the top 5 in attendance in their league every year of their existence since 2003.

For college sports, Lobo basketball has always been the hot commodity in town and they are well-supported and have been in the upper echelon for attendance in NCAA basketball ever since the Pit opened in 1966. Even in the recent down years they were at the top of all programs for attendance, coming in 29th last year. They are off to a good start this year and attendance is up as well.

Lobo football has always played second fiddle and will be rebuilding under a new coach after Bob Davie was fired this season. When Lobo football was good under Rocky Long and Dennis Franchione they were well-supported and serious plans were being developed for a massive stadium renovation and expansion.

Major League sports. Also I guess well supported is a relative term. The football teams attendance has always been pretty lame. When I think of towns with no "pro sports" as in Major League Sports that back their college teams at a high level I am thinking of places like SEC Schools and cities like Columbus Ohio as in Ohio State University not some Mountain West Conference also ran. i personally would not want to live near a town where I could not attend legit big time sporting events.

Obadno Dec 14, 2019 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8775832)
Well, it’s the one western state we can truely say we are better than,lol.

Id disagree with that, Nevada? half of Washington and Oregon? most of Utah and Colorado and all of Wyoming arent much to write home about

TJPHXskyscraperfan Dec 16, 2019 4:31 AM

I was mostly just kidding, I would never want to live in Utah or Wyoming for sure, or Idaho or Montana either.

xymox Dec 16, 2019 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABQalex (Post 8775786)
Intel isnt leaving, they've added nearly 600 jobs and invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the last two years in Rio Rancho.

Facebook isn't going anywhere either. The first phase of their data center opened earlier this year with 150 of its eventual 300 permanent employees.

The issue with the transmission line has been resolved. In addition to the $1.5 billion for its data center, Facebook is also investing $800 million into the renewable energy infrastructure of the state to power their facility. That includes solar and wind power. They already have a $45 million solar energy array on site.

Glad to hear the transmission line issue was resolved; that should never have happened in the first place.

As for Intel - they went through massive layoffs a couple years back. So any gains/re-investment is just them filling back in jobs they let go back in 2014/2015 or so. Word at the time was they were spinning down Rio Rancho; perhaps they found a different use for it.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 16, 2019 10:42 PM

Construction Cams

So, does anyone know if Katerra just not going to put up any more construction cams? Seems like we have a dozen projects going and no new cams have went online since Kenect started. You would think we would have a cam for X by now. Also, no cams for AC, Aspire, Wexford, ASU residential or Hines from their respective builders either. What gives?

:shrug:

biggus diggus Dec 16, 2019 10:47 PM

Seems as though that's not their thing. UEB did it and they are maintaining what was up.

RichTempe Dec 16, 2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8777722)
So, does anyone know if Katerra just not going to put up any more construction cams? Seems like we have a dozen projects going and no new cams have went online since Kenect started. You would think we would have a cam for X by now. Also, no cams for AC, Aspire, Wexford, ASU residential or Hines from their respective builders either. What gives?

:shrug:

I use this one for X: https://video.nest.com/live/TbinOWG9t0

But it's not a real construction cam and you're right about all the others.

Obadno Dec 16, 2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 8777730)

Unfortunately I think this will be our Cam for all the projects on the Northwest side of town.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 16, 2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 8777730)

That's the City of Phoenix North cam. Unfortunately, the quality is not that good and for some reason my work blocks Nest's website, so I can only view it on my phone.

Where the heck is some OxBlue cams?

CrestedSaguaro Dec 17, 2019 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8773571)
Proposed agenda items for the next DVC meeting this weekend:
  • Proposed GPLET for Home2 Suites, 2nd St. & Jackson St., Warehouse District ~ Xandon Keating, City of Phoenix
  • Northeast corner of 6th Street & Garfield, Evans Churchill ~ John McLinden & Kage Brown, Hubbard Street Group

That's currently the APS substation. Unless it's a typo? Anyone know of any upcoming projects in this intersection?

https://www.hubbardstreetgroup.com/

OK, here's more on this project. As we suspected, it was a typo and will be the SE corner. Possible multi-family coming with a potential 285' tall tower! Wow!!

Quote:

New Apartments Planned for Roosevelt Growhouse Site in Roosevelt Row
LYNN TRIMBLE | DECEMBER 17, 2019 | 7:00AM

Chicago developer Hubbard Street Group plans to build apartments in Roosevelt Row, a downtown Phoenix arts district that’s seen rampant development in recent years. The apartments will be located on the southeast corner of Sixth and Garfield streets.

True North Studio is in the process of selling the land, according to Dorina Bustamante, who does community development for the real estate development firm located at the monOrchid building in Roosevelt Row. She announced the sale during the December 15 meeting for Downtown Voices Coalition.

The apartment complex will displace Roosevelt Growhouse, which has been leasing space from True North Studio. It’s just the latest change for the urban garden, which is operated by Kenny Barrett and Joshua Hahn. They’ve had several locations in recent years, including another Roosevelt Row property owned by True North Studio.

Assuming the apartment project moves forward, it will be the Chicago developer’s first foray into downtown Phoenix. John McLinden, the managing partner for Hubbard Street Group, presented details during the meeting.

The developer hopes to build a 285-foot-tall apartment, according to McLinden. The current plan calls for 309 small units, ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments. The average unit size would be 655-square-feet, he says.

McLinden notes that the downtown code limits the building height to 250-feet, which means the developer will be asking the city to amend the code to allow the additional height.

The developer will also ask the city to grant a Government Property Lease Excise Tax (GPLET), which would reduce the taxes they pay on the property for eight years. During that period, 10 percent of the units would be designated for workforce housing, which is more affordable than market rates for qualifying tenants.

The current plan calls for activating the street front with trees and canopies for shade, according to McLinden’s presentation. The street level would have tall windows and a lot of glass, along with a restaurant or two and outdoor seating. The building would also have 7,000 square feet of retail space. The seventh floor would include co-working space, and the top of the building would have an amenities deck. The plan also includes 201 residential and six commercial parking spaces.

The project timeline includes an estimated seven months for planning and permits, plus a 24-month construction period. The architectural firm is Shepley Bulfinch, which has a Phoenix office.

“We wanted to come to you early to get comments and suggestions,” McLinden told neighborhood leaders and other community members gathered for the meeting. “Love it or hate it, we’ll take that back with us.”

Phoenix New Times reached out to Barrett and Hahn about future plans for Roosevelt Growhouse but had not heard back as of this writing. In June, Barrett said it was likely Roosevelt Growhouse would eventually become part of a True North Studio development planned for Second Street north of Roosevelt Street.

Hubbard Street Group's plans could still evolve, but it’s clear that McLinden has a keen interest in this particular part of downtown Phoenix. “I see Roosevelt Row as one of the great art districts,” he says. “We’re really excited about what’s possible here.”
Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...ights-11401161

Edit: Found the Fact finding plan review for this project. 19-2533, 25 stories. This was submitted back in July! We're slacking!

ASU Diablo Dec 17, 2019 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8778240)
OK, here's more on this project. As we suspected, it was a typo and will be the SE corner. Possible multi-family coming with a potential 285' tall tower! Wow!!

Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...ights-11401161

Hell yes nice find Ronnie! And the fact that they want to build higher than the allowed 250' is a huge plus. Take our GPLET now! :cheers:

Obadno Dec 17, 2019 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8778240)

Edit: Found the Fact finding plan review for this project. 19-2533, 25 stories. This was submitted back in July! We're slacking!

This is confusing to me, I might just be stupid. Isnt Grow house between roosevelt and Portland on 2nd street?

They are talking about a 285' tower in the Biomedical Campus and the planned lower 7 story apartments at the grow house?

It seems like they are talking about two projects at the same time:???:

ASU Diablo Dec 17, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8778249)
This is confusing to me, I might just be stupid. Isnt Grow house between roosevelt and Portland on 2nd street?

They are talking about a 285' tower in the Biomedical Campus and the planned lower 7 story apartments at the grow house?

Grow House had moved again to the SEC of 5th St and Garfield, where this tower is supposed to go. So they are being kicked out again. Article mentions that they will probably find a permanent home in one of the True North projects on 2nd St once constructed.

Sucks for Grow House but I think this is a great thing. One less lot that is owned by True North...need some variety

CrestedSaguaro Dec 17, 2019 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8778249)

I'm not sure where the Growhouse is currently. I don't recall anything on this lot. But doing a quick Google Maps search results in "Growhouse Urban Agriculture Center" at 809 N. 6th St. Same thing? :shrug:

Obadno Dec 17, 2019 3:45 PM

^^^ This still confuses me because they mention a 7 story tower and then a 285 tower in the Medical Campus but there appears to be no ASU or medical anything involved with it?

Oh well Im sure more stories will be out shortly.

In the meantime St. Luke is getting some replacement occupancy already which is good, would suck to have a big abandoned hospital for years.

Quote:

The closure of St. Luke's Medical Center has attracted a new tenant to the campus.

While no one has taken over the main hospital space vacated by St. Luke's last month, a community college is taking over a medical office building at 555 N. 18th St., adjacent to the hospital at 18th and Van Buren streets in Phoenix.

A $1.4 million renovation is underway in preparation for the move throughout the spring and summer semesters. Funding for this expansion is provided by Prop 301 and a one-time appropriation to Maricopa Community Colleges from the state.

Architect for the project is KQ Architects, and the contractor is TepCon.

Plans call for occupying a portion of the first floor, all of the second floor and part of the third floor of that building for a leased total of 28,671 square feet.

GateWay Community College will offer a mix of its health care programs, including nurse assisting, pharmacy tech, medical billing and coding, medical interpreter-Spanish and EKG, a new certificate program, said Dr. Amy Diaz, interim vice president of academic affairs at GateWay.

The classrooms and simulation spaces for these programs will be on the second floor.

Meanwhile, the Healthcare United at GateWay Clinic will relocate from the GateWay campus at 40th and Washington streets to the medical building's third floor. A lab space for the new Occupational Therapy Assisting program, which is launching in January, along with polysomnography and ultrasound labs also will occupy the third floor.

The new 18th Street location also will house a Safe Patient Handling Lab, or SaPHE, which provides equipment needed to train students and health professionals on apparatus to support patient handling activities, such as transferring, repositioning, walking and fall prevention.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 17, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8778262)
^^^ This still confuses me because they mention a 7 story tower and then a 285 tower in the Medical Campus but there appears to be no ASU or medical anything involved with it?

Oh well Im sure more stories will be out shortly.

In the meantime St. Luke is getting some replacement occupancy already which is good, would suck to have a big abandoned hospital for years.

Maybe, I'm reading it too fast. but I don't see any mention of a 7 story building or references to the medical campus? And good news on St. Luke.

Obadno Dec 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8778275)
Maybe, I'm reading it too fast. but I don't see any mention of a 7 story building or references to the medical campus? And good news on St. Luke.

6th street and Garfield is the medical campus its across the street form the Wexford building

PHX31 Dec 17, 2019 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8778288)
6th street and Garfield is the medical campus its across the street form the Wexford building

The 285' building is planned for the southeast corner of 6th St and Garfield. So it's across 2 streets from the Wexford building.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 17, 2019 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 8778359)
The 285' building is planned for the southeast corner of 6th St and Garfield. So it's across 2 streets from the Wexford building.

Pulled up the map of the biomedical campus and it appears this block and the block directly to the South are not part of the campus.

https://i.imgur.com/eeVShO6.png

Obadno Dec 17, 2019 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8778363)
Pulled up the map of the biomedical campus and it appears this block and the block directly to the South are not part of the campus.

https://i.imgur.com/eeVShO6.png

Thatll be a weird tower off by itself