SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,422 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

spyguy Jan 26, 2018 2:37 AM

IIRC part of the Tribune (lower levels?) were modernized into a pretty cool open office space. I wonder what they will do with that. Also happy that it looks like all of the annex buildings will be preserved.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8061297)
As someone mentioned earlier, it will probably end up taller than TTC. They just haven't announced that yet to not pique the interest/rage of the POTUS. No point in drawing any unwanted attention to this project until the design is finalized and the alderman is fully on board.

That hypothetical tweet would almost guarantee this thing got approved...

---
Another interesting Reilly quote

Quote:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/de...alderman-says/

“My preference in helping manage traffic and leveraging public transit is to encourage developers to build less parking. That’s been considered sound transportation policy in big cities,” Reilly said.

We need to take a look at the skin of the building . . . and get some feedback from stakeholders on that. How the loading and traffic circulate below grade on Lower Illinois and Lower Michigan,” he said. “Are there opportunities to upgrade all of that really dirty, poorly lit infrastructure and deliver a victory for the neighborhood? Should there be public open space in their plaza area? The list goes on and on.”

Reilly noted that, during his 10 years as alderman, “Not a single project has been delivered, built looking anything like it did when it was first proposed. That shows the process works.”

Urbana Jan 26, 2018 3:02 AM

The prominence this thing will have from the lake is pretty amazing - skyline redefining.

https://i.imgur.com/RwmFCy8.jpg?1

230Roberto Jan 26, 2018 3:41 AM

Honestly I hope it looks like the fantasy in this article. https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...ght-look-like/

Mr Saturn64 Jan 26, 2018 4:01 AM

While that looks pretty cool, I would like it most if it were built as a modern variation of the Tribune Tower's Gothic design. Kind of like how Holy Name Cathedral has the shape of a Gothic cathedral, but uses modern materials. I would love to see what a building with a shape like Tribune in glass, and 1,400 feet tall would look like.

230Roberto Jan 26, 2018 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 8061620)
While that looks pretty cool, I would like it most if it were built as a modern variation of the Tribune Tower's Gothic design. Kind of like how Holy Name Cathedral has the shape of a Gothic cathedral, but uses modern materials. I would love to see what a building with a shape like Tribune in glass, and 1,400 feet tall would look like.

I feel like its time for Chicago to hop on the skinny skyscraper trend. Having just 4 walls soaring around 1400 ft into the air would probably fit best for this site.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 26, 2018 4:31 AM

I've said a million times that I don't care about height, but if the roof does indeed fall one foot short of the Trump Tower, I don't see why you wouldn't go another 75' taller and get tallest building in the city status over Sears?

Zapatan Jan 26, 2018 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8061652)
I've said a million times that I don't care about height, but if the roof does indeed fall one foot short of the Trump Tower, I don't see why you wouldn't go another 75' taller and get tallest building in the city status over Sears?

Perhaps it will, or maybe Related will push the Spire site to be the tallest in the city.

It's been 45 years, Chicago definitely deserves a new tallest. :yes:

NYguy Jan 26, 2018 4:46 AM

Great height, wish they could have at least given a teaser render. I know it's still being worked out, but would like to know what they are working with.

Randomguy34 Jan 26, 2018 5:02 AM

Why stop at Sears? Just slap a 389' spire and we've got tallest building in the Western Hemisphere

ardecila Jan 26, 2018 5:24 AM

I'm interested to see how Adrian Smith returns to this area, 30 years after NBC Tower. I imagine back in 1987, he must have assumed Cityfront Center would be fully complete right now instead of the gradual phasing-in that actually happened.

Will we get another attempt at deco, maybe with real limestone like NBC used? Or something more futuristic, glassy and Dubai-like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8061062)
I think that the office space along Michigan that was built decades ago was built under the assumption that the 1968 plan for a subway from the West Loop under Monroe, splitting north under Columbus/Fairbanks was going to get built. It's still one of the most obvious needs for mass transit in all of Chicago and yet never seems to have political support to make happen. Until/unless that plan or one very similar involving grade-separated transit happens, office will not be a popular choice in the Mag Mile corridor.

Eh, I don't think rail transit was a consideration at all. Those developers figured the upper management would drive in on Lake Shore Drive (the buildings all included moderate parking podiums) while the paper-pushers would take the express bus from northside neighborhoods and get dropped off right on Michigan.

As for people coming from other places, well, it's not that far of a walk from the L or from State Street buses. My brother commutes to the Mag Mile (from Pilsen) and has a pretty reasonable commute going Pink Line->Red Line.

ardecila Jan 26, 2018 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8060781)
Question for the industry folks - has there been some recent leap forward in technology that makes these tall, narrow residential buildings much easier and cheaper to build?

They seem to have sprouted all over Midtown in a short span of time, and now there are like half a dozen active supertall developments or proposals in Chicago.

Where do you get half a dozen? There's Vista, One Chicago Square, and Tribune.

The state suggested a supertall for Thompson Center, but there's no developer to actually build it and the state has not moved forward with a sale yet. Even if a supertall ends up being proposed there, it's a whole block - no need to go slender, especially if there is an office component that needs larger floorplates, so that'll be more of a traditional supertall. Obviously there's no public proposal for the Chicago Spire site yet.

To answer your question, engineers routinely share information in conferences and published papers, so the supertalls of Billionaires' Row have paved the way for similar structures elsewhere. Techniques like tuned mass dampers, blow-through floors, ultra-high-PSI concrete, etc have now been refined and a lot of the design risk ironed out.

BraveNewWorld Jan 26, 2018 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbana (Post 8061551)
The prominence this thing will have from the lake is pretty amazing - skyline redefining.

https://i.imgur.com/RwmFCy8.jpg?1

Considering how close it is to the lake, it may even appear to be taller than Sears from many viewpoints. Especially when it almost inevitably ends up being taller than Trump. I’m guessing 1400 feet is about where it’ll land. This will definitely redefine the skyline

Domer2019 Jan 26, 2018 6:47 AM

Interestingly, I think the unearthed 400 N LSD design would be a very similar height, assuming that designer followed some parameters set by Related:

[ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=388 - the source link is now 404'd, hmmm... ]

Hopefully this gets them to change their two tower hedging and go taller, or at least change the ratio.

chris08876 Jan 26, 2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld (Post 8061739)
Considering how close it is to the lake, it may even appear to be taller than Sears from many viewpoints. Especially when it almost inevitably ends up being taller than Trump. I’m guessing 1400 feet is about where it’ll land. This will definitely redefine the skyline

In the rendering, I like the position of it. Smack dab in the middle. A nice balance between Sears and Hancock.

rgarri4 Jan 26, 2018 1:20 PM

So I've seen early renderings of this thing a few months back. I'm sure the design has evolved since what I saw, but it didn't have a spire. I would qualify it under the skinny skyscraper trend mentioned. It definitely doesn't look like what's on that Chicago Architecture.org site. I'd also say the top is a glassy modern nod to the neighboring tribune crown. Again, the design may have changed completely from when I last saw it.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 26, 2018 3:14 PM

I was just going to say I hope this thing has a similar massing nod to Tribune as Trump has to Wrigley from the NE. I live the view of Wrigley with Trump Tower looking behind and matching the massing on a much larger scale.

Describe the design further and maybe I'll draw it like Vista haha.

Notyrview Jan 26, 2018 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8061946)
I was just going to say I hope this thing has a similar massing nod to Tribune as Trump has to Wrigley from the NE. I live the view of Wrigley with Trump Tower looking behind and matching the massing on a much larger scale.

Describe the design further and maybe I'll draw it like Vista haha.

I love that view.

^^yes no spire please!

10023 Jan 26, 2018 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8061725)
Where do you get half a dozen? There's Vista, One Chicago Square, and Tribune.

The state suggested a supertall for Thompson Center, but there's no developer to actually build it and the state has not moved forward with a sale yet. Even if a supertall ends up being proposed there, it's a whole block - no need to go slender, especially if there is an office component that needs larger floorplates, so that'll be more of a traditional supertall. Obviously there's no public proposal for the Chicago Spire site yet.

To answer your question, engineers routinely share information in conferences and published papers, so the supertalls of Billionaires' Row have paved the way for similar structures elsewhere. Techniques like tuned mass dampers, blow-through floors, ultra-high-PSI concrete, etc have now been refined and a lot of the design risk ironed out.

That was hyperbole. :)

And while not actually supertalls, One Bennet Park, One Grant Park and Wolf Point South (very close to supertall) are pretty big buildings. So there are a half dozen U/C or seriously proposed 800+ foot residential buildings in Chicago right now. When was the last time that happened?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 26, 2018 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8061834)
So I've seen early renderings of this thing a few months back. I'm sure the design has evolved since what I saw, but it didn't have a spire. I would qualify it under the skinny skyscraper trend mentioned. It definitely doesn't look like what's on that Chicago Architecture.org site. I'd also say the top is a glassy modern nod to the neighboring tribune crown. Again, the design may have changed completely from when I last saw it.

How come i am picturing 311 S Wacker right now....... :uhh:

nygirl1 Jan 26, 2018 5:47 PM

aw well...good for chicago


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.