SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

marothisu Jun 12, 2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7832009)
please lock this thread

Why? Related says they'll be unveiling something I think in the next few months for this site.

vexxed82 Jun 13, 2017 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7832009)
please lock this thread

Why? I live for the tiny burst of adrenaline I get when I see "CHICAGO | 400 N LSD (former Chicago Spire site) | ? FT | ? FLOORS"

denizen467 Jun 13, 2017 7:45 AM

In case this ultimately doesn't fulfill people's supertall aspirations: Take note that just six blocks away, a certain newspaper's parking lot is said to be dusting off Burnham's favorite four word sentence.

Skyguy_7 Jun 13, 2017 12:25 PM

^ Sorry all for the adrenaline bump via Spire thread, but do you know something we don't? When that lot was last in the news, the plans were for a building similar in scale to the Tribune Tower.

By the way, Burnham's favorite sentence is actually a 12-words :) and ends as follows: "...; they have no magic to stir men's blood."

UPChicago Jun 13, 2017 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 7832575)
Why? Related says they'll be unveiling something I think in the next few months for this site.

lol cause I don't think I can withstand another updated photo of this site that I can't tell if it is not just a repost of the previously posted picture.

rgolch Jun 13, 2017 4:22 PM

Exactly.

I really do love all of harry's picture posts. I think it's a living document to our ever changing city. But when virtually nothing has changed on a site, particularly one as important as this, with all it's significance, I don't think there's any point to posting pictures of the same hole. Please lock until there's legit information as to what could happen at this site.

JK47 Jun 13, 2017 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 7832575)
Why? Related says they'll be unveiling something I think in the next few months for this site.


Something is definitely percolating but haven't heard any details.

denizen467 Jun 14, 2017 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7832981)
similar in scale to the Tribune Tower.

not any more, apparently

KWILLSKYLINE Jun 14, 2017 1:34 PM

My 2000' thoughts are obviously out the window. I'm still hoping for at least 1000'-900'. If we end up with Tribune height this might be one of the greatest let downs in this cities history.

Notyrview Jun 14, 2017 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7834139)
not any more, apparently

Thanks for the tip.

Why anyone is holding out for anything remarkable at 400 is beyond me. It's Related. Re-lat-ed.

Skyguy_7 Jun 14, 2017 4:16 PM

^,^^, you both are mistaken in referring to the Spire site, which of course is appropriate given the thread, but Denizen and I are talking about the lot just East of the Tribune Tower.

scalziand Jun 16, 2017 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7835040)
Perhaps, but this is an opportunity to build a very tall and iconic tower right on the lake which I think would look awesome. Who knows when that opportunity will arise again?

The next opportunity for that is the corner lot in Lakeshore East, right across the Chicago river from the Spire site.

pilsenarch Jun 16, 2017 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 7836378)
The next opportunity for that is the corner lot in Lakeshore East, right across the Chicago river from the Spire site.

I can guarantee that Lowenberg has no intentions of building anything close to a supertall on any of the remaining sites in LSE... :(

Kumdogmillionaire Jun 16, 2017 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 7836378)
The next opportunity for that is the corner lot in Lakeshore East, right across the Chicago river from the Spire site.

Never will that lot be zoned for that big of a building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 7836570)
I can guarantee that Lowenberg has no intentions of building anything close to a supertall on any of the remaining sites in LSE... :(

And no one should have expected them to... it's not zoned for that sort of square footage and height. They'd have to kill the O site and then combine both lots next to LSD into one building to even break 1000 ft for a building.

nmadsen Jun 18, 2017 3:10 AM

Image of what the skyline could have looked like with the spire posted over on the r/chicago subreddit by user "mrs-syndicate".

https://i.imgur.com/yqoRAd3.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/com...uld_have_been/

Yesh222 Jun 18, 2017 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmadsen (Post 7838286)
Image of what the skyline could have looked like with the spire posted over on the r/chicago subreddit by user "mrs-syndicate".

https://i.imgur.com/yqoRAd3.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/com...uld_have_been/

I actually have like a legit 8% concern that if this actually gets approved at 2000 feet that the President might try to stop it from being built.

The Lurker Jun 18, 2017 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yesh222 (Post 7838300)
I actually have like a legit 8% concern that if this actually gets approved at 2000 feet that the President might try to stop it from being built.

:uhh:

I don't know where to begin...

Dale Jun 18, 2017 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 7838343)
:uhh:

I don't know where to begin...

I gave the comment 8%. but that might have been a little generous.

Bonsai Tree Jun 20, 2017 2:24 AM

Hi, guys I am new here. I just wanted to post some renderings of possible buildings on the Spire site. They are from Thomas Roszak Architecture. I have no clue if they are really the actual renderings on the site. I was wondering if someone could possibly give me more information. These can be found on their website (just search TRA architecture). Thanks
http://www.roszak.com/#/400-n-lake-shore-drive-1/

[IMG]400 N Lake Shore Drive (5).jpg
400 N Lake Shore Drive (6).jpg
400 N Lake Shore Drive (1).jpg
400 N Lake Shore Drive (3).jpg
400 N Lake Shore Drive (4).jpg[/IMG]

Busy Bee Jun 20, 2017 2:31 AM

Welcome and thanks for posting.

I think I remember seeing these quit a while ago in this thread or the preceding Spire thread. I believe these were just some sort of concept done by the firm. Never a real proposal or anything...

Bonsai Tree Jun 20, 2017 2:47 AM

I bet you are right. I just posted it because I wasn't sure if anyone had seen these images yet. I personally hate the design for such a promising site.

Kumdogmillionaire Jun 20, 2017 3:14 AM

Thank god those aren't getting built. I'd riot and burn the whole site down if that was the trash they had decided to go with

camdoodlebop Jun 20, 2017 5:46 AM

just lock this thread already and end the suffering

BrandonJXN Jun 20, 2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7839795)
Thank god those aren't getting built. I'd riot and burn the whole site down if that was the trash they had decided to go with

These aren't terrible. Just not worthy of the spire site.

Hoosier388 Sep 24, 2017 2:00 AM

So is this Gateway Town thing ever going to happen or are we going to continue to see a big hole in the ground over the former Chicago Spire site? Personal Opinion it would be cool to see something new & different in the city beside the Willis Tower, Trump Tower, Hancock Building, & Aon Center to dominate the skyline. I know I'm new to the site as a poster but I have always red the different thread and have always be intrigued by the Architecture in the city. I would love to see this building happen. It would be something bigger then the Willis Tower and new to a city that is dominated by tall building east of the rivers north and south branches.

Bonsai Tree Sep 24, 2017 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosier388 (Post 7931554)
So is this Gateway Town thing ever going to happen or are we going to continue to see a big hole in the ground over the former Chicago Spire site? Personal Opinion it would be cool to see something new & different in the city beside the Willis Tower, Trump Tower, Hancock Building, & Aon Center to dominate the skyline. I know I'm new to the site as a poster but I have always red the different thread and have always be intrigued by the Architecture in the city. I would love to see this building happen. It would be something bigger then the Willis Tower and new to a city that is dominated by tall building east of the rivers north and south branches.

So to answer your question, Gateway Tower isn't going to happen. Sadly, Gateway Tower was a concept, and not an actual proposal with financial backing. However, the development firm in control of the site (Related Midwest) does seem to have some plans for the site. What those plans are nobody knows. Related hinted early this year that they would release information about their 60 acre site in the South Loop and this site in 2017 (there is a Curbed article on this), but so far nothing has happened. As for what is likely to go there we can only speculate. I hope we get a tower over 1,500 ft, but I it's unlikely. In my opinion, it is more likely that we get a 1,000 foot tower with apartments, condos, and a hotel, similar to Wanda Tower. Anyway, that is pretty much all I know, and most of it is just speculation. I hope that helps. :)

Sky88 Sep 25, 2017 2:04 PM

On Spire site, Related Midwest will can build a tower like these, without spending so much money :)

A)
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4484/3...f505ef8f_b.jpg

B)
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/3...081b9762_b.jpg

C)
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4413/3...7d124191_b.jpg

harryc Sep 25, 2017 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 7932457)
On Spire site, Related Midwest will can build a tower like these, without spending so much money :)

[/IMG]

Although I understand the concept of sunk costs - it would seem that the current foundation would be a huge discount on a building with about the same footprint.

r18tdi Sep 25, 2017 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 7932457)
On Spire site, Related Midwest will can build a tower like these, without spending so much money :)

Pretty neat renderings. Did you make them?

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 25, 2017 3:46 PM

Those renderings are sick. Also shows how the city's skyline is so massive it can take a 2000+ foot building and make it still fit in

Sky88 Sep 25, 2017 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7932464)
Although I understand the concept of sunk costs - it would seem that the current foundation would be a huge discount on a building with about the same footprint.

These towers are like to CN Tower. They are 2000 ft tall, and have restaurants, shops and observation points for tourists. They are not skyscrapers.
Their base is like to the Spire hole, except for the conic tower that is larger.

Khantilever Sep 25, 2017 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 7932663)
These towers are like to CN Tower. They are 2000 ft tall, and have restaurants, shops and observation points for tourists. They are not skyscrapers.
Their base is like to the Spire hole, except for the conic tower that is larger.

Although it would be nice to extend the ceiling of the city, I would be incredibly disappointed if they built something like that - Chicago architecture places a heavy emphasis on function, after all. Though I find it unlikely anyway, since there's not much need for new antennae and already several great observation decks in Chicago.

I don't know if the economics of the site will be able to support a megatall anytime in the near future (maybe only if the L is extended to Navy Pier). But the existing foundations should reduce the marginal cost of building higher, so I'm hopeful for something that at least exceeds Vista.

ithakas Sep 25, 2017 5:50 PM

Since we're bumping this topic again anyway, does anyone have a sense for whether we're still likely to hear something concrete on Related's plans by end of year as previously announced? Only a few months left at this point...

We were also supposed to hear more on their plans for the 78 this year, unless the Tribune article is as much as we're going to get for the immediate future.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 25, 2017 6:24 PM

^^^ I thought we were supposed to hear something the first half of this year. I doubt we will be hearing anything about this site until One Bennett Park is sold out. Related isn't going to want to put anything out there that may delay or cannibalize demand for something that's already under construction. I assume whatever is proposed here will have a large condo component.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 7932718)
Although it would be nice to extend the ceiling of the city, I would be incredibly disappointed if they built something like that - Chicago architecture places a heavy emphasis on function, after all. Though I find it unlikely anyway, since there's not much need for new antennae and already several great observation decks in Chicago.

Chicago architecture also puts a huge emphasis on kick ass engineering so tall is easily justified that way.

BraveNewWorld Sep 26, 2017 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 7932759)
Since we're bumping this topic again anyway, does anyone have a sense for whether we're still likely to hear something concrete on Related's plans by end of year as previously announced? Only a few months left at this point...

We were also supposed to hear more on their plans for the 78 this year, unless the Tribune article is as much as we're going to get for the immediate future.

I saw this got bumped and immediately got my hopes up that Related finally released some news for this site. Here's to hoping they say something before the year's up.

Kenmore Sep 26, 2017 2:19 PM

will be shocked if anything happens this cycle, way too much in the pipe already

ahealy Sep 26, 2017 4:10 PM

hmmm. I would KILL for a 2000+ tower but I am not here for Chicago's tallest to be an observation tower. NO. NO. NO. :uhh:

Sky88 Sep 26, 2017 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahealy (Post 7933690)
hmmm. I would KILL for a 2000+ tower but I am not here for Chicago's tallest to be an observation tower. NO. NO. NO. :uhh:

Sorry, but this is a your problem!

Sky88 Sep 26, 2017 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahealy (Post 7933690)
hmmm. I would KILL for a 2000+ tower but I am not here for Chicago's tallest to be an observation tower. NO. NO. NO. :uhh:

Now, an observation tower is the only solution for Chicago.

ahealy Sep 26, 2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 7933709)
Now, an observation tower is the only solution for Chicago.

Ummmm. I tend to disagree with that. What makes you think its "the only solution"??? I just don't see Chicago as one of those cities. I'd be open to the idea if it weren't the traditional martini glass shape but.....yeah..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

left of center Sep 26, 2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 7933709)
Now, an observation tower is the only solution for Chicago.

Why would it be? The Spire site is excellently located, with river and lake views, next to the future DuSable park, not to mention a dedicated off ramp from southbound LSD. It would be stupid to not put condos/apartments on that site. Units located there would without a doubt command a price premium.

It probably wont be 2000 ft, but I don't see anything shorter than 700/800 feet getting built there. It's too prime a site.

TimeAgain Sep 27, 2017 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 7934271)
Why would it be? The Spire site is excellently located, with river and lake views, next to the future DuSable park, not to mention a dedicated off ramp from southbound LSD. It would be stupid to not put condos/apartments on that site. Units located there would without a doubt command a price premium.

It probably wont be 2000 ft, but I don't see anything shorter than 700/800 feet getting built there. It's too prime a site.

Anything less than a 1000 ft wouldn't even be worth building, unless it has a really unique design.

munchymunch Sep 28, 2017 8:14 PM

Anyone have an idea why excavators are moving dirt on DuSable park?

Steely Dan Sep 28, 2017 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7936428)
Anyone have an idea why excavators are moving dirt on DuSable park?

perhaps soil remediation?

here's curbed article from back in july:

Quote:

The long-delayed plan to rehab Chicago’s DuSable Park creeps forward
The City of Chicago has authorized a further cleanup of the lakefront peninsula’s contaminated soil
BY JAY KOZIARZ JUL 20, 2017, 12:55PM CDT

Though first dedicated as public open space in the 1980s, Chicago’s unfinished DuSable Park is finally ready to start taking shape. The Chicago Tribune reports that the Chicago Park District board awarded a $1.4 million contract to Industrial & Environmental Services to remove contaminated soil from the site. Not to be confused with the South Side’s similarly named DuSable Museum of African American History, the downtown park is situated on an undeveloped 3.3-acre peninsula of reclaimed lakefront land east of North Lake Shore Drive between the mouth of the Chicago River and the Ogden Slip.

While the site had its surface soil combed free of radioactive materials leftover from Chicago’s old Lindsay Light and Chemical Company facility years ago, a more recent EPA report concluded that additional subsurface work is still required. Expected to begin next month, the next phase of decontamination will be financed by funds awarded in a 2014 legal settlement with Lindsay Light.

The latest clean-up effort is only the beginning of DuSable Park’s long-discussed transformation from overgrown vacant land to a finished public amenity. The plan is tied directly to the redevelopment of the neighboring parcel at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive—the site of the abandoned 2,000-foot Chicago Spire megatall skyscraper.
source: https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/20...-clean-up-plan

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 29, 2017 1:13 AM

Yep, gotta get that thorium out of there before we can do anything else with the park

Skyguy_7 Nov 18, 2017 2:10 AM

Cross post from Kolchak
https://s7.postimg.org/627h4xld7/VISTA_3.jpg

Hate to bump this thread, but does anyone know why there’s an excavator on site? You’d think Disable Park activity would be confined to Dusable Park...

harryc Nov 18, 2017 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7989921)
Cross post from Kolchak
https://s7.postimg.org/627h4xld7/VISTA_3.jpg

Hate to bump this thread, but does anyone know why there’s an excavator on site? You’d think Disable Park activity would be confined to Dusable Park...

It looks like it is for the work in the park on the other side of LSD - bike path ? They were driving in 85' friction piles today.

IrishIllini Nov 18, 2017 3:41 AM

I don't think anything happens at the Spire site for a while, unfortunately. Between the proposed development just south of here, Vista, Wolf Point East, and One Chicago Sq., I can't see this project gaining the momentum it needs to justify another 1000 ft. tower, let alone a 2,000 ft. one. Save it for another day and make sure it's something iconic.

munchymunch Nov 18, 2017 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7989921)
Cross post from Kolchak
https://s7.postimg.org/627h4xld7/VISTA_3.jpg

Hate to bump this thread, but does anyone know why there’s an excavator on site? You’d think Disable Park activity would be confined to Dusable Park...

It was there a month ago.

maru2501 Nov 18, 2017 3:52 PM

the supertall at the east end of LSE probably gets built first and that's the same market, almost literally


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.