SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SlidellWx Apr 7, 2021 5:06 AM

As of Monday, metro New Orleans is now 21.5% fully vaccinated. The city of New Orleans is nearing 25% fully vaccinated. https://ldh.la.gov/covidvaccine/

craigs Apr 7, 2021 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9240322)
California plans to lift virus restrictions in June if certain benchmarks are met.

I'll be fully vaccinated by then, so bring it.

Camelback Apr 7, 2021 12:42 PM

The CDC released a study that there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of infection by surface transmission of Covid. That's a lot lower than what they feared it was.

It should also be known that the effectiveness of a single dose, single shot from Moderna's and Pfizer's vaccine is 80%. Now that 32% of the US population has received at least 1 shot, combined with those that have antibodies (I get it, there's some overlap there) this disease has one foot out the door.

glowrock Apr 7, 2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9240571)
^^
Me and my gf have been avoiding things that require the wearing of masks. For example, we went to the Cleveland art museum about a month ago but only stayed about 2 hours because you’re required to wear a stupid mask the whole time, even though nobody was hardly there. Wearing a mask just sucks all of the humanity and joy out of doing things socially. It’s not normal to not see people’s faces. But I’m afraid that democrat run cities and states will mandate the wearing of masks for political points for freaking ever because they want to show everyone how much better and holier than thou they are than the republicans.

Hyperbole much, photoLith? Masks sucks all the humanity out of doing things socially? I guess if by social you mean looking at other people's facial expressions, then perhaps. But there's nothing specifically keeping you from having a joyful time. Why does a mask keep you from enjoying yourself? I just don't understand it.

Maybe it's because I, along with tens of millions of others have been wearing masks at their job for a year now. Maybe it's because I used to have to wear a half-face mask for years when I did asbestos air monitoring and clearances. Or maybe it's just that I understand that, even though I've been fully vaccinated, not everyone around me has been, therefore its the right thing to do for me living in society to keep others safe.

I do tend to agree that masks being worn outside is a bit over the top, as long as you're not in crowded spaces (ie: farmer's market, other large outdoor events), but inside it's just stupid not to wear one.


Aaron (Glowrock)

jtown,man Apr 7, 2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9240543)
For sure.

The virus is on the way out. The vaccines are effective against the variants. A great example of what is to come has already occurred in Israel. They have administered 114 shots per 100 people in the country. Their case count has dropped from over 10,000 people per day in around January 15th to 300 new cases today.

The US has administered 167 million shots or about 50 shots per 100 people. A mini spike in a few states is nothing to be fearful of because at this point the at risk population has received or will receive the vaccine really soon.

Canada 18 shots per 100
Mexico 7.4 shots per 100
France 19 shots per 100
Spain 19 shots per 100
Germany 17 shots per 100
Brazil 10 shots per 100
India 6.1 shots per 100
Australia 3.4 shots per 100
Japan 0.9 shots per 100
South Korea 2 shots per 100

Whats going on in Japan?

They seem to have been an outlier over the last year in so many ways.

jtown,man Apr 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 9240749)

Or maybe it's just that I understand that, even though I've been fully vaccinated, not everyone around me has been, therefore its the right thing to do for me living in society to keep others safe.




Aaron (Glowrock)

You're keeping people safe by being vaccinated. How is wearing a mask keeping them safe? No scientific study supports your point.

iheartthed Apr 7, 2021 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9240753)
You're keeping people safe by being vaccinated. How is wearing a mask keeping them safe? No scientific study supports your point.

They don't fully understand whether vaccinated people can still transmit the virus. That is why the CDC guidance is still for vaccinated people to wears masks in public and around unvaccinated people who do not live in their same household.

the urban politician Apr 7, 2021 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9240349)
Everyone should absolutely wear one indoors, especially if they haven't been fully vaccinated yet but outside? Nah. I have contractors here at my house and they have been fully vaccinated as have I. Told them they didn't have to wear their masks.

I don't think they are needed outdoors unless it's a very crowded setting.

People walking around outdoors wearing masks are doing it more for show.. "Look at me! I'm cool and hip, I'm part of the 'In' crowd, I'm so progressive and 'scientific'!" Bozos.... :haha:

jtown,man Apr 7, 2021 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9240837)
They don't fully understand whether vaccinated people can still transmit the virus. That is why the CDC guidance is still for vaccinated people to wears masks in public and around unvaccinated people who do not live in their same household.

They haven't come out with their concrete report yet, true.

But all indicators are showing that this doesn't happen or it happens so rarely as to be a non-issue.

photoLith Apr 7, 2021 2:48 PM

^
Don’t worry, they’ll say there’s a slight chance of transmission with vaccines to keep us wearing masks for all time.

the urban politician Apr 7, 2021 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9240563)
None of these things are enjoyable as long as masks are required, just tolerable. I wear a mask in the gym as required, but I’m there to maintain/improve fitness, not to have fun. I’m not doing anything like going to a concert or a basketball game as long as a mask needs to be worn. At least at a restaurant you take it off once you reach your table.

I don't see a mask being a big deal at a sporting event.

If you have a pint of beer in your hand, pull your mask down to take a swill and then pull your mask back up. Same with hot dogs or peanuts.

It's a small adjustment.

Now, if beer and hot dogs aren't allowed at sporting events....well then...there ain't NO CHANCE IN HELL that I'll be going

LA21st Apr 7, 2021 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9240865)
I don't think they are needed outdoors unless it's a very crowded setting.

People walking around outdoors wearing masks are doing it more for show.. "Look at me! I'm cool and hip, I'm part of the 'In' crowd, I'm so progressive and 'scientific'!" Bozos.... :haha:

Wow.

the urban politician Apr 7, 2021 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9240891)
^
Don’t worry, they’ll say there’s a slight chance of transmission with vaccines to keep us wearing masks for all time.

Yeah, people need to seriously stop expecting everything to come down to ZERO before we let up on some of the insanity out there.

Sorry, but ZERO risk is never gonna happen.

jtown,man Apr 7, 2021 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9240904)
Wow.

Why wow? What is the science on outdoor transmission?

Yuri Apr 7, 2021 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9240865)
I don't think they are needed outdoors unless it's a very crowded setting.

People walking around outdoors wearing masks are doing it more for show.. "Look at me! I'm cool and hip, I'm part of the 'In' crowd, I'm so progressive and 'scientific'!" Bozos.... :haha:

Well, in Brazil everyone is using masks outside home. It would be the opposite here: if you show up without a mask, people will mistake you for those people who believe in all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories.

jd3189 Apr 7, 2021 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9240322)

Can’t wait for that day. Hopefully we don’t fuck it up:tup:

Steely Dan Apr 7, 2021 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9240865)
I don't think they are needed outdoors unless it's a very crowded setting.

People walking around outdoors wearing masks are doing it more for show.. "Look at me! I'm cool and hip, I'm part of the 'In' crowd, I'm so progressive and 'scientific'!" Bozos.... :haha:

while i tend to agree with you that masks are much more for show in most outdoor situations that don't involve close-quarters crowds, i still wear one when i'm walking down the street, not because i want to be "cool and hip" or whatever, but because everyone else in my neighborhood does so, and i don't want any of my neighbors to think that i'm a self-centered asshole.

still, when no one's around, i do pull my mask down. :P

Handro Apr 7, 2021 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9241014)
while i tend to agree with you that masks are much more for show in most outdoor situations that don't involve close-quarters crowds, i still wear one when i'm walking down the street, not because i want to be "cool and hip" or whatever, but because everyone else in my neighborhood does so, and i don't want any of my neighbors to think that i'm a selfish asshole.

still, when no one's around, i do pull my mask down. :P

Same, I'm not sure anyone feels cool or hip wearing a mask, that would be bizarre. But it's certainly become the polite thing to do in high-mask areas--which is most big cities at this point. Like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes or covering your mouth when you yawn, it doesn't really serve a purpose other than affirming you are not anti-social or totally self-absorbed. I'm not sure why someone would want to risk making someone uncomfortable or send the signal "my delicate sensibilities are more important than your perceived safety."

sopas ej Apr 7, 2021 4:27 PM

My friend texted me a few hours ago; she's in Taiwan visiting family.

She told me it's soooo different there than in the US right now; people are all out and about like everything's normal, they're only required to wear masks when they go inside stores and inside the trains.

Our media hasn't really been covering Taiwan, either (apart from their political situation with China), but Taiwan is one of the few places in the world that has successfully controlled COVID.

homebucket Apr 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9241042)
My friend texted me a few hours ago; she's in Taiwan visiting family.

She told me it's soooo different there than in the US right now; people are all out and about like everything's normal, they're only required to wear masks when they go inside stores and inside the trains.

Our media hasn't really been covering Taiwan, either (apart from their political situation with China), but Taiwan is one of the few places in the world that has successfully controlled COVID.

Taiwan is doing really well (only 7 deaths from COVID in total), but they are a bit unique. First of all, it's an island nation so it's much easier to restrict travel in and out. You need to show a negative COVID test to even board a plane headed for Taiwan. They also required all inbound travelers, including Taiwanese citizens, to quarantine for 14 days, and failure to abide results in fines up to $35k USD. They make you buy a SIM card so they can track your location via your phone. They also have hotels set aside specifically for this purpose, and people aren't allowed to leave. It's $100/night with 3 meals included. There's also fines for mask noncompliance.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.