SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

HooverDam Oct 18, 2010 9:07 PM

This is kinda neat:

Quote:

Phoenix to use Rosson House to host visitors

by Emily Gersema - Oct. 18, 2010 01:20 PM
The Arizona Republic

The historic Rosson House at Sixth and Monroe streets in downtown Phoenix's Heritage Square has been a museum for several years, and city officials have found yet another purpose for it.

The Victorian house was recently designated a "protocol house" by the City Council. This special designation means that city officials can bring officials who are visiting Phoenix to small meetings or receptions at the house.

This is the city's first protocol house. City leaders chose the house because it is secure, comfortable, a symbol of Phoenix history, and close to City Hall and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Councilman Tom Simplot, who represents District 4, supports historic preservation and had been a key proponent of the protocol house idea.

"It's a great way to leverage public and private resources," Simplot said.

Officials have said no extra city funding is needed to use the house for this purpose.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz12kMhufp7

combusean Oct 19, 2010 12:26 AM

I fucking hate that Continuum project. I don't know how they can attempt a single use, sprawling bullshit office park surrounded by parking lots, fill it to the brim with non-native landscaping, and then have the audacity to greenwash the whole entire thing.

/kills

Vicelord John Oct 22, 2010 2:59 AM

And here i thought cityscape had a great light feature... Anyone else see the chillrins hospital? Omg its sweet snd looks like more to come!!

dtnphx Oct 22, 2010 4:03 PM

And so the cycle begins anew.

Phoenix-area condo projects to reopen next month
by J. Craig Anderson - Oct. 22, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Three Phoenix-area condo projects that had been shut down and repossessed by their lender are expected to reopen for new sales in November, thanks in large part to the federal government.

The projects are 44 Monroe in downtown Phoenix, 3rd Avenue Palms in Phoenix and Safari Drive Scottsdale, near Scottsdale Fashion Square mall.

The properties are undergoing renovations and awaiting Arizona Department of Real Estate approval to reopen their sales offices, according to the new owner, Chicago-based ST Residential.

Safari Drive will have 89 units available for sale beginning at $249,500. 44 Monroe will have 196 units available starting at $197,500, while 3rd Avenue Palms will have 74 units available starting at $80,000, a company news release said.

ST Residential is an investment and debt-resolution firm that is 60 percent owned by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

Unlike the Resolution Trust Corp., which the federal government formed to dispose of failed lender-owned assets two decades ago following the savings-and-loan crisis, ST Residential also involves a group of private-equity firms, led by Starwood Capital Group.

All three properties had been owned by Corus Bankshares Inc., the holding company whose bank was taken over by regulators in September 2009.

Corus, based in Chicago, sought protection from creditors in June, filing for Chapter 11 reorganization in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

At the same time, ST Residential was formed for the sole purpose of buying $4.5 billion worth of residential real-estate assets that Corus had repossessed, ST Residential CEO Wade Hundley said in an interview Thursday.

Hundley said about 30 percent of the assets are owned outright by ST Residential, and the rest are being financed with "favorable lending terms" by the FDIC.

The result is that ST Residential has cash and time, something Hundley said that most condo project owners lack.

"While most companies are trying to cut costs and save money, we're investing in these properties," he said.

Two of the projects, 44 Monroe and Safari Drive, began construction in 2006, Hundley said. Third Avenue Palms was a condo-conversion project initiated in 2005 on an apartment complex that was built in 1999.

In all three cases, the original developers slammed into a wall when the condo market plummeted in 2007. Only 3rd Avenue Palms had sold a significant amount, about half of the project's 155 units.

The other two projects had sold just over a dozen units each when their sales offices were shut down about a year ago, said Mike Messenger of Geoffrey H. Edmunds Realty, the Scottsdale company hired to handle sales and marketing for all three properties.

Edmunds also will set prices for the new units and help manage the homeowners associations.

"These are projects that we're bringing back to life, so to speak," Messenger said.

dtnphx Oct 22, 2010 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5026078)
And here i thought cityscape had a great light feature... Anyone else see the chillrins hospital? Omg its sweet snd looks like more to come!!

I hadn't driven past there in a while, so yesterday I did and WOWZA! It really looks amazing.

Vicelord John Oct 23, 2010 2:03 AM

I'll try to get a picture of that bitch. I got a good spot on the Links course at Arizona Biltmore to shoot right at it.

PhxPavilion Oct 23, 2010 2:54 AM

The children's hospital is really nice. It's got a ton of leds in the lobby as well.

bwonger06 Oct 23, 2010 8:23 PM

Anyone know what they are doing by Arizona Center? They have two boom cranes doing some serious work.

Vicelord John Oct 23, 2010 8:27 PM

I noticed that this morning on the way to work, but I didn't have enough time to check it out. I'm guessing either AC or heating unit replacement, or installation of equipment at the 12 News studio.

gymratmanaz Oct 24, 2010 1:17 AM

I went down, I think it was for the TV studio. Maybe satelite dishes and stuff.

HooverDam Oct 24, 2010 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5027955)
or installation of equipment at the 12 News studio.

Probably this, they've been doing a ton of work for 12 News. While I love the intent of what CH 12 is going for, its really too bad the location is so dull and just faces the butt end of the Herberger. Further the sidewalk isn't particularly wide in that spot either, so I don't know how many gathering, "Today Show" style crowds they'll get.

Maybe though in the future some of the other local stations will copy the general idea and do it with better execution. Something facing into the Civic Space or just anywhere thats more active would be neat.

bwonger06 Oct 26, 2010 1:33 AM

Few updates

Quote:

11/5: Mobile food-truck court launches in Phoenix
by Kellie Hwang - Oct. 25, 2010 08:58 AM
The Arizona Republic

It's been confirmed: The Mobile Food Truck Court will launch on Nov. 5 at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market.
The court, organized by the newly formed Phoenix Street Food Coalition, has been green-lighted by the city. Food trucks will set up every Friday during lunchtime in the parking lot of the market.
Brad Moore, owner of Short Leash Hotdogs, is spearheading the effort. He hopes to draw downtown employees.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz13QMzDT8U
and

Quote:

Sean Sweat Proposes Downtown Park to Replace Parking Spots: "Love Dogs, Not Cars"
By Claire Lawton, Mon., Oct. 25 2010 @ 4:05PM Comments (0)

courtesy of Sean Sweat
A rendering of the proposed dog park, done by ASU architecture students.
​Sean Sweat's been running around downtown Phoenix for the past few weeks with a clipboard and a pen; he's gathering signatures for a dog park petition that he'll bring to the Phoenix Board of Adjustments and City Council on November 4. Sweat's serious about the dog park, and he doesn't even have a dog.

The engineer says he got the idea while talking to local photographer, Steve Dreiseszun, and he lives about 300 feet from the proposed spot, which is currently slated to become a parking lot.

"Phoenix has enough space for parking," Sweat says. "What it lacks is central, walkable community space."

Check out more of Sweat's plans after the jump ...

courtesy of Sean Sweat
​The background on the space: The City of Phoenix bought the city block housing the Sahara Hotel in February with plans (that are still current) to raze and pave the site, which will then remain a parking lot until the downtown ASU law school campus is finished.

Sweat's arguments against the entire space being used as a parking lot (as his plans for a dog park would only require a portion of the allotted space) are both simple and complex; he says there's pre-existing, unused parking lots in downtown, and there's an increased risk of Heat Island Effect.

His solution: Half of the proposed land, one acre, be turned into a dog park, which would be utilized by the surrounding community.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...downtown_p.php
Don't care much about the food carts because it is just an extension of Phoenix Farmers Market, nothing new.

Dog park at the space could be pretty cool. At the very least we will be getting some tree and plants on that site.

gymratmanaz Oct 26, 2010 2:03 AM

Go Sean Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phxguy Oct 26, 2010 3:59 AM

At last another park in the planning for downtown. I hope the Sheradon allows the park to be built, it'll add yet another missing element to the ever growing downtown community. By the way, what happened to the School of Law building planned on this site?

bwonger06 Oct 26, 2010 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5030614)
By the way, what happened to the School of Law building planned on this site?

ASU has no money right now and ABOR is on a building freeze.

From what I hear, however, the law school is 100% set on moving down there. Rumors are ASU will transform the law school into a privately funded school similar to UVA, Berkeley and Michigan. It would be really great because it would raise the name of the law school and allow it to increase the class size.

gymratmanaz Oct 26, 2010 4:21 AM

What time frame could be on either of those ideas? OR are they simply ideas?

bwonger06 Oct 26, 2010 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5030648)
What time frame could be on either of those ideas? OR are they simply ideas?

ASU-Law to downtown is 100% set. Timelines that I have seen have been somewhere about 5 years out. It is going to be hard especially because voters probably won't vote for any kind of bonds but I see a lot of private backing especially by the law firms.

The idea of privatizing is an idea and they really have to do more research on the cost v. benefit. ASU does not carry the name brand of a Berkeley, Michigan or UVA so a change may end up hurting the school.

somethingfast Oct 26, 2010 4:23 PM

just what America needs...another f**king law school producing f**king lawyers...yay :sly:

Vicelord John Oct 26, 2010 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 5031166)
just what America needs...another f**king law school producing f**king lawyers...yay :sly:

yeah, lawyers are gay.

har har har

bwonger06 Oct 26, 2010 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 5031166)

Just to be technical... its not another new law school. :notacrook:

Speaking of lawyers, anyone know what these two documents are saying?

http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/aacc...V/CV100620.pdf

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.go...=CV2007-004793

Is the city trying to eminent domain some downtown land? I checked up on the property ownership of these guys and they literally own half of downtown's empty lots and parking structures.