SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Crispy Sep 26, 2012 6:15 PM

Looks like some things are happening at 7th St. & Osborn. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere. The building on the SEC has been fenced off and it looks like an enchilada and soup joint is going in there. Liquor application is posted. The Korean Church on NWC is fenced off. Heard some rumblings that a Starbucks and some new retail is going in there. Pretty big pad so I'm curious what the plan is.

HooverDam Sep 26, 2012 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crispy (Post 5845630)
Looks like some things are happening at 7th St. & Osborn. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere. The building on the SEC has been fenced off and it looks like an enchilada and soup joint is going in there. Liquor application is posted. The Korean Church on NWC is fenced off. Heard some rumblings that a Starbucks and some new retail is going in there. Pretty big pad so I'm curious what the plan is.

Word is the old Miriams (on the SEC) will be turned into a restaurant. Sit down Mexican place is what I believe I heard.

The old Korean church is going to be saved- hooray! The owner of the land plans to turn the church into a restaurant. Some of the other buildings on that lot, the U shaped school rooms will be demoed. Directly on the corner will be a drive thru Starbucks, not the most urban or greatest use we can all agree.

But overall at least the church is being saved, an activating that intersection w/ places to eat on the kitty corners is a good thing.

nickw252 Sep 27, 2012 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5845080)
One initial concern I have is the '4 story apartments wrapped around a 6 story garage'. I'd have to see better renderings, but that sounds scary unless 2 garage floors are subterranean.

Page 16 on the Phoenix Development Services PDF says it will be an on grade six floor parking structure.

Quote:

3. Parking
Resident and Guest parking will be provided in the on grade 6 level parking structure with access onto both Highland Avenue and Coolidge Street. The parking ratio is 1.50 spaces per unit. On street parking for prospect residents is planned for Highland Avenue. These spaces allow interested renters to quickly and easily walk to the main entrance of the community on Central Avenue.
On page 27 the elevation shows that the top of the elevator on the garage will be 65'3" while the upper roof of the apartments will be 49'3".

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...nt/z-31-12.pdf

Overall I really like it. It's a good looking midrise in an area with way too many dirt lots but I wish it was more like 6 - 8 floors.

nickw252 Sep 27, 2012 2:05 AM

Here's the story on BREW

Quote:

Phoenix - Vedura Residential in Scottsdale (Bruce Hart, Paul Fannin, principals) is working on plans to develop a multi-family apartment complex at the southwest corner of Central and Highland avenues in Phoenix. The property is across the street from the Brophy College Preparatory campus and the St. Francis Xavier church and grade school. The 4.23-acre apartment site is owned by Central Highland L.P., a limited partnership formed by Sunbelt Holdings Inc. in Scottsdale (John Graham, pres.). In February 2010, BREW reported the Sunbelt Holdings entity paying $2.86 million in cash for the property. Vedura Residential is in for zoning in Phoenix to develop a 266-unit apartment project on the site. No further details were available at press time. At one time, the Central and Highland parcel was targeted for high-rise development. If Phoenix approves the plans, the apartment project will be the second that Vedura Residential will develop in the state. In December 2011, BREW reported Vedura Residential starting development on a 288-unit apartment complex located across the street from Flagstaff Mall at Mall Way and Marketplace Drive. In May 2010, BREW reported Hart and Fannin forming Vedura Residential and buying a note that was secured by the 14.4-acre site in Flagstaff and then foreclosing on the land. Vedura Residential has formed a venture with Thackeray Partners in Dallas, Tex. to develop the project, which is called Elevation. Vedura Residential is looking for more multi-family investment and development opportunities throughout Arizona. In May 2010, BREW reported Hart and Fannin forming Vedura Residential in Scottsdale to invest in existing apartment projects, buy broken condominiums, develop new multi-family communities and acquire notes secured by land suitable for apartment use. Hart was formerly senior managing partner at Trammell Crow Residential in Scottsdale. Fannin was previously a partner with Gray Development Group in Phoenix and an executive at Evans Withycombe Inc. in Scottsdale. Learn more from Hart and Fannin at (480) 922-9200. Talk to Graham at (480) 905-0770.
http://brewaz.com/content/index_stor...date=September

Jjs5056 Sep 27, 2012 3:42 AM

Not sure how I feel about the 7th/Osborn development; with Urban Bean so close, I fear what the impact of a Starbucks will be. Of course, Urban Bean offers much more than just coffee, but nothing beats the convenience of a good old Starbucks. Aside from being scared of that potential clash, any kind of chain or drive thru in that area is shameful. 7th street north of downtown has really turned into a nice area with a variety of local options- Urban Bean, Coronado Cafe, Green, etc. And, the majority are in rehabbed structures with charm and pedestrian scale.

A drive thru Sarbucks, really? :( Breaks my heart... We can do better Phoenix. Just add it too the list of disappointing developments in that area recently, like the new Chase, CVS and Panda Express, nal, of which have setbacks, massive parking lots and so on.

I like to think it could somehow be built in an urban fashion, but there's Bo sense- it will certainly stand behind a moat and open up to a large parking lot.

Jjs5056 Sep 27, 2012 3:56 AM

Speaking of doing better, glad to hear of the apartment proposal for the former Brophy Tower lot. That rendering was one of my favorites from the boom, though, so it's hard to let it go.

On the bright side, I had written uptown off completely. I haven't heard of much happening up there in the last several years and had assumed the odds of this exact lot being developed were about as high as the property adjacent/west of Steele Indian Schoo park (owned by Colliers, I believe).

Everyone has already mentoned my #2 gripe- the height. Really wish we could be seeing 6-8 stories, especially considering the fact that the garage is actually TALLER than the building itself. Sad. Aso, while I adore infill of any kind, this lot was particularly huge and midtown/uptown is desperate (according to myself) for an addition to the skyline. By, alas, the architecture is quite pleasing- muh better than Roosevelt Point, Legacy Devine, etc. Is 11' setback okay, BTW? With the lack of height, I want to see this project have much of an impact on Central as possible.

Which leads me to my #1 grip- where's the mixed uses? It seems as though almost every new development since I can remember has featured ground level retail, yet 3 new projects in the core have no or very little retail. Someone in another thread made a good point that there isn't that critical mass yet in the area, but for the love of god, can anything in this city be done with the future in mind? What about space for a nice, big coffee store/bookshop for the kids across the street to cone hang out and study in? Heck, even a Verizon or such store would probably do well with that crowd. Same, too, with a dry cleaner and some other necessity-like retail.

Ah well. I won't be too picky; I'm excited for this to get going. For those more knowledgeable, how definite (or not definite) are these plans? What stage are we at and how much longer until we know whether this is a go or not?

Teasing my heart with skyscraper proposals 5 years ago was tough, but there were at least other "real" projects going on to focus on and enjoy. These days, all is quiet, so "fake" proposals hurt much much worse.

Jjs5056 Sep 27, 2012 4:09 AM

Last post, I promise. Any word on the proposed development on Central and Camelback. I remember reading several months ago that the developer was looking for variances (one that stood out was the removal of the requirement to provide access to both the light rail stop and Central). Has this gone anywhere?

This is an extremely important piece of property, IMO, so I hope it gets developed soon and gets developed right. It will be the "cap" on our skyline and as I mentioned earlier, that area is desperate for sone high rise development- well, development in general. There are so many pockets of great things going on uptown, but we have got to get these massive undeveloped lots addressed. Hotels and residential would be fabulous- 24 hour foot traffic that is absolutely needed.

Were there ever any renderings for the multiple projects proposed on that lot over the years? I really think that's one spot prime for an iconic tower, though obviously we'd all prefer that downtown in the core.

Last comment- speaking of iconic towers, I love reading about everyone's ideas on how to incorporate our (very few) headquarters downtown and get so excited dreaming of a PetSmart tower anchored by a pet store that spills into a dog park, a ColdStone with a factory featuring brand new flavors and taste tests, a First Solar anchored by an alternative energy/sustainability museum, etc. :(

Don B. Sep 27, 2012 4:23 AM

Anytime we can get rid of a dirt lot for almost any kind of infill, especially in this economy, is a good thing.

--don

dtnphx Sep 27, 2012 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 5846330)
Last post, I promise. Any word on the proposed development on Central and Camelback. I remember reading several months ago that the developer was looking for variances (one that stood out was the removal of the requirement to provide access to both the light rail stop and Central). Has this gone anywhere?

This is an extremely important piece of property, IMO, so I hope it gets developed soon and gets developed right. It will be the "cap" on our skyline and as I mentioned earlier, that area is desperate for sone high rise development- well, development in general. There are so many pockets of great things going on uptown, but we have got to get these massive undeveloped lots addressed. Hotels and residential would be fabulous- 24 hour foot traffic that is absolutely needed.

Were there ever any renderings for the multiple projects proposed on that lot over the years? I really think that's one spot prime for an iconic tower, though obviously we'd all prefer that downtown in the core.

Last comment- speaking of iconic towers, I love reading about everyone's ideas on how to incorporate our (very few) headquarters downtown and get so excited dreaming of a PetSmart tower anchored by a pet store that spills into a dog park, a ColdStone with a factory featuring brand new flavors and taste tests, a First Solar anchored by an alternative energy/sustainability museum, etc. :(

All great comments. Keep them coming, Jjs5056.

Phxguy Sep 27, 2012 7:12 PM

I know I've mentioned it before, but I suggest that you should peek at this site. It shows many renderings for projects like Argo, Villas at Southbank, and ones that frankly I've never known about.
http://www.discoverytriangle.org/areaactivity/

ASUSunDevil Sep 27, 2012 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5846963)
I know I've mentioned it before, but I suggest that you should peek at this site. It shows many renderings for projects like Argo, Villas at Southbank, and ones that frankly I've never known about.
http://www.discoverytriangle.org/areaactivity/

Lots of great updates, thanks. Fencing went up last week surrounding the Argo project, construction should be underway soon.

Jjs5056 Sep 29, 2012 1:49 AM

Hoover- thank you for all the information regarding the Roosevelt streetscape plan, especially the renderings of the shade structures. I'll honor your request not to judge them based on those, but I will say that I would much rather see something strange and modern than a safe/boring/"wild west" type of design. With that in mind, I'm pleasantly surprised at the concept, and love the idea of turning the triangle plot into a hanging out spot- downtown could use a few "photo opp" landmarks, art pieces, etc.

HooverDam Sep 29, 2012 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 5848754)
but I will say that I would much rather see something strange and modern than a safe/boring/"wild west" type of design.

From the pictures did you get the impression that it was the latter? I can assure you from what we saw in person its very strange/modern/edgy/etc. This is not something you'd see on Bell Rd for instance. I'm excited, I think it'll look very sleek and rad.

If I can remember the artists name Ill post a link to her website so you can get a sense of her stuff. Its an East Asian name and my dumb white ass can't recall it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news: Phoenix is getting a bike sharing system. Mayor Stanton announced it tonight. No details really yet, but its happening- hooray!

Im kinda hoping we get a B-Cycle system b/c once you have a membership with them it works in other cities and they're already in places like Houston and Denver, so thats a nice bonus.

Jjs5056 Sep 29, 2012 8:19 PM

Oops, I wasn't clear: I was saying that I am not going to make a full judgment based on the pictures, but that so far, they DO look impressive and modern. Sorry about that.

HooverDam Oct 1, 2012 8:35 PM

Museum of TV

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but here it goes...

A guy named James Comisar wants to build a Museum of TV in Downtown PHX. This guy owns more TV props/artifacts that the Smithsonian. Here's a link to his idea:

http://museumoftelevision.org/

Not only does this guy want to bring this museum to Phoenix, he wants it to be downtown. When I say Downtown I mean South of the I-10 and within walking ditance to a Light Rail stop.

He really wants to be able to show the City (and his investors) that he's got good community support behind him. So what can you do? 2nd the idea on the MyPlanPHX site here:
http://www.myplanphx.com/shaping-pho...vision-phoenix

and like it on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-C...72030246190815

gymratmanaz Oct 1, 2012 9:30 PM

That really sounds cool!!! A TV museum..... I would go to that and i would bring my 5th grade class too!!!!!

HooverDam Oct 1, 2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5851458)
That really sounds cool!!! A TV museum..... I would go to that and i would bring my 5th grade class too!!!!!

Tell them that on the Facebook page or the My Plan PHX page. Thats exactly the kind of thing they want to hear! :)

I talked to the guy (James Comisar) on the phone this morning. He's really excited about trying to bring this to PHX. I got the impression he's sick of living in LA and will move out to PHX possibly if the museum gets built here. He's talked about bringing in lots of celebrities to do talks/symposiums and such, it could be really cool.

Can you imagine how packed this place would be on Memorial Day Weekend during Phoenix Comicon?

PHX31 Oct 2, 2012 8:29 AM

That museum of TV sounds great, maybe it could go in the upcoming renovated old DeSoto dealership on the corner of Central/Roosevelt, depending on the size needed.

HooverDam Oct 2, 2012 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5852069)
That museum of TV sounds great, maybe it could go in the upcoming renovated old DeSoto dealership on the corner of Central/Roosevelt, depending on the size needed.

That building would be too small for the permanent museum. Unless they maybe built an extension onto that surface lot North of the building.

For reference the Circles Discs building is 36K sq ft, they want 45K. I think the Circles building would be rad, but they'd need to build an extension onto that parking lot North of it. I'm not sure how interested they are in constructing new extensions like that.

Phxguy Oct 2, 2012 3:08 PM

http://azremagazine.com/news/evergre...n-office-tower
This is what needs to start happening to the rest of the Midtown high-rises. This is perfect. The urbanization of Midtown/Uptown needs to begin somewhere and this is where it should start (Right in the area that brought about it's death.)