SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

The North One Mar 22, 2020 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8869785)
They boarded up all the bars on 6th Street in Austin, our entertainment strip in downtown. There hasn't been anything to warrant it, but they're just playing it safe not wanting looters to come for the booze.

I mean that makes sense. I knew those kinds of places were locking up. I didn't know anybody was literally boarding up anything though, like that thought didn't even occur to me until now.

Does Sephora really need to go on total lockdown to protect overpriced makeup that probably costed them ten cents to make anyway...

SlidellWx Mar 22, 2020 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8869489)
Lots of plots and bravado, not very much substance. The author has no apparent qualifications in anything other than making plots and spewing right-wing polemic. He cherry-picks evidence that suits his point ("low evidence of community transmission!") while talking up the uncertainty of evidence that doesn't. He says some big words but shows no math. Everybody with any qualifications says the opposite of this random "growth hacker."

I didn't really pay attention to the political stuff. I was loving the access to data through the references. I have now bookmarked the worldometer site to keep track of everything. Such a great resource. It has way more data than anything else I've been able to find. I love data!

mrnyc Mar 22, 2020 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8869803)
I mean that makes sense. I knew those kinds of places were locking up. I didn't know anybody was literally boarding up anything though, like that thought didn't even occur to me until now.

Does Sephora really need to go on total lockdown to protect overpriced makeup that probably costed them ten cents to make anyway...

no they cleaned it out of the merch first, then boarded it up.

im as shocked as you or anyone.

yeah, it never crossed my mind anyone would do this, much less so soon.

i dk if its a good idea or over reaction? i guess it depends how it goes.

Steely Dan Mar 22, 2020 3:31 AM

* MODERATOR EDIT *

political fuckholery has been moved to the political fuckhole (the current events subforum).

We've given you political axe-grinding shit-wads your very own toilet.

FUCKING USE IT!

photoLith Mar 22, 2020 3:38 AM

Was in Pittsburgh’s Strip District tonight which is usually packed with people. There were no cars parked on the street, nobody walking around. It was absolutely insane. Would swear we’re living in the post apocalyptic wasteland just waiting for the buildings to rot and collapse. The world is going to be much shittier place after this is all said and done. All of the progress urban centers have made in the past 20 years is going to be erased with most places going out of business because of this overreaction. I still think people above 70 should be quarantined and the rest of us should be allowed to live our lives in order to not destroy the economy for years and ruin hundreds of millions of lives; which this will.

SIGSEGV Mar 22, 2020 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8869853)
Was in Pittsburgh’s Strip District tonight which is usually packed with people. There were no cars parked on the street, nobody walking around. It was absolutely insane. Would swear we’re living in the post apocalyptic wasteland just waiting for the buildings to rot and collapse.

I went on a longish ~6 mile walk (mostly) in the park today. There were quite a few couples, families and joggers, for the most part keeping apart from one another. This was the most crowded scene:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WR...=w1283-h962-no

On the other hand, this was outside Trader Joe's yesterday morning:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Om...=w1283-h962-no

badrunner Mar 22, 2020 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8869787)
Its also an interesting point to note that cops might or have been infected. More cops that get infected or put out of commission, the enforcement will lack.

And there will be folks that will take advantage of it. If its religious nut jobs claiming Silver Solution can cure this or if its the local mailman, some element of crime will seep into this whole mess the longer this drags on.

The govt better not drop the ball on unemployment income, because minute the money runs out, especially for paycheck-to-paycheck folks, bad things might happen.

That's probably why they're not pulling over people for minor traffic violations. Why risk it? I don't think things will get out of hand, as long as the government can keep everyone afloat financially and keep everything running.

twister244 Mar 22, 2020 4:11 AM

I don't live in Chicago, but saw this come up on my feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6eaCfi60Y

SIGSEGV Mar 22, 2020 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 8869880)
I don't live in Chicago, but saw this come up on my feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA6eaCfi60Y

I'd say that channel's previous video (from a few days ago, "Empty Chicago") is even better.

The North One Mar 22, 2020 4:40 AM

If this virus has proved anything it's that we are truly a global society.

dave8721 Mar 22, 2020 4:58 AM

Not happy that they closed the parks in Miami-Dade County. Even Everglades National Park is closed. I heard Marinas were open so I tried to take the kids out to one that has a long walk along the water but nope. They were only letting people in who had business with their boats. They literally had cops in cop cars there to stop anyone who tried to walk in the park. I guess they would rather us hang out in crowded grocery stores than walk alone away from people on a nature trail?

Steely Dan Mar 22, 2020 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8869896)
If this virus has proved anything it's that we are truly a global society.

The truest thing I've heard/read in all of this.

Cities/states/nations are nothing but illusions.

The virus doesn't give a single shit about any of that.

We are ultimately one. Whether we want to be or not.

We don't get to choose that part.

AviationGuy Mar 22, 2020 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8869749)

Take-out orders seem to be going better, from what I'm hearing anyway. My favorite Tex Mex restaurant has seen an increase in take-outs every day this week, especially in the evenings. The owner told me today that there were so many people showing up last night that he had to ask them to stay in their cars. I told him that his staff need roller skates now.

photoLith Mar 22, 2020 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave8721 (Post 8869905)
Not happy that they closed the parks in Miami-Dade County. Even Everglades National Park is closed. I heard Marinas were open so I tried to take the kids out to one that has a long walk along the water but nope. They were only letting people in who had business with their boats. They literally had cops in cop cars there to stop anyone who tried to walk in the park. I guess they would rather us hang out in crowded grocery stores than walk alone away from people on a nature trail?

What Everglades NP is closed, why? NY state about a week ago made entrance to all their state parks free. And I regularly go to NY state parks to take photos. The spread of this government overreaction economically destroying virus can’t be spread anyways in state parks and national parks. It’s not going to be spread in bars and such or the closure of office jobs. It’s being spread no matter what in non closed grocery stores and Walmart’s. Every grocery store and Walmart and gas station has touch screen check outs. The virus will be spread with these touch screens. And we’re destroying all of the economy and hundreds of millions of lives over nothing because extremely old people who are the only ones dying from this are still out and about touching touch screens at grocery stores. Yet, we all (millinials etc) have to suffer and lose everything we’ve done, even after the lack of well paying jobs since 2008. Everyone under 35 will be even more fucked after all of this in America after we have all already suffered from lack of any sense of good paying jobs or benefits since 2008-2009.

SIGSEGV Mar 22, 2020 5:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8869935)
What Everglades NP is closed, why? NY state about a week ago made entrance to all their state parks free. And I regularly go to NY state parks to take photos. The spread of this government overreaction economically destroying virus can’t be spread anyways in state parks and national parks.

My recollection of the Everglades is a bunch of crowded boardwalks, but obviously that's probably not the case without many tourists. But there will be nobody to rescue idiots when they get gotten by alligators?

dave8721 Mar 22, 2020 6:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8869935)
What Everglades NP is closed, why? NY state about a week ago made entrance to all their state parks free. And I regularly go to NY state parks to take photos. The spread of this government overreaction economically destroying virus can’t be spread anyways in state parks and national parks. It’s not going to be spread in bars and such or the closure of office jobs. It’s being spread no matter what in non closed grocery stores and Walmart’s. Every grocery store and Walmart and gas station has touch screen check outs. The virus will be spread with these touch screens. And we’re destroying all of the economy and hundreds of millions of lives over nothing because extremely old people who are the only ones dying from this are still out and about touching touch screens at grocery stores. Yet, we all (millinials etc) have to suffer and lose everything we’ve done, even after the lack of well paying jobs since 2008. Everyone under 35 will be even more fucked after all of this in America after we have all already suffered from lack of any sense of good paying jobs or benefits since 2008-2009.

It looks like the national park is still open but the main road in is closed and most of the attractions.

sopas ej Mar 22, 2020 6:39 AM

Lining up to go into the South Pasadena, CA Pavilions, around 8:15am Saturday morning, 3.21.20. They were only letting 5 people in at a time. I bought 2 loaves of bread, 2 bunches of bananas, and one 12-roll pack of toilet paper.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...80&oe=5E9DB664
Photo by me

710 Freeway headed south near the 10 Freeway interchange, Saturday morning, 3.21.20, around 9:45am. I'm on my way to see my parents, just to visit them for a bit.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5E9BBA93
Photo by me

sopas ej Mar 22, 2020 7:31 AM

Now that to-go cocktails have been temporarily legalized in California, have any of my fellow Californians ordered a to-go cocktail yet? I have yet to do so myself.

"I'll have a Brandy Alexander in a to-go cup, please. No straw."

To-Go Cocktails Legalized in California
State’s Alcohol Department Relaxes Rules during COVID-19 Outbreak

https://www.independent.com/2020/03/...in-california/

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 9:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8869706)
[B]

I went to a few parks with the gf today, and I can tell you this, people DID NOT practice social distancing.

Video Link

jtown,man Mar 22, 2020 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8869670)
It’s Mother’s Day in England tomorrow. I was meant to go visit my mother. I’m not going to.

That is the appropriate course of action. People go in with their lives and avoid elderly relatives, not until there is a vaccine but until there is widespread testing.

Oh come on 10023, you weren't gonna visit your mother anyways lol