SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Nov 3, 2020 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9093502)
What a drama queen.

Glad somebody finally said it. When you’re right, you’re right.

10023 Nov 3, 2020 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9093524)
I hike my ass off with the extra time. Not everything is shit.

What extra time? Especially during daylight hours.

Life is endless video meetings (but nothing actually gets done - more work and less income), with no release. The weather here is going to be terrible for the next 5 months so there is nothing enjoyable to do outside. And everything from shopping to working out takes much longer.

10023 Nov 3, 2020 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9093502)
What a drama queen.

If life were going to be like this going forward as a “new normal”, as some people say, I would put a bullet in my head tomorrow.

There is a difference between actually living and just existing.

homebucket Nov 3, 2020 7:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9093561)
What extra time?

Life is endless video meetings but nothing actually gets done. More work and less income, with no release. The weather here is going to be terrible for the next 5 months so there is nothing enjoyable to do outside. And everything from shopping to working out takes much longer.

Move to LA. Weather is perfect. 24/7/365. Lots of malls and personal trainers in LA too.

Pedestrian Nov 3, 2020 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 9093554)
What's considered shitty about this current state of the world is relative. It is indeed shit for damn near everyone, to varying degrees, at the moment and will probably continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

What I personally despise is the belief that some people's lives are worth more than others, and acting like that gives them the right to satiate their whims and pleasures at the expense of everyone else who isn't as fortunate, socioeconomically and physically.

There's more to people than their insurance's actuarial assessments/risks. It also assumes that there's a "right way" to be fulfilled in life and the pursuit of enjoyment, as if whatever everyone else does that they consider to be fulfilling and enjoyable is wrong.

I'm thinking of Steely and his kids, as one example.

Me? I'm just grateful to have a job (for now).

Jesus fuck, I sound like a goddamn college freshman in a fucking philosophy 101 class. I'm sorry.

I think you sound quite rational and adult but I’ll quarrel with one thing. I don’t think the current “shit” will need to last more than perhaps another 6 months.

My expected timeline:

2 months ( end of 2020) - At least one, maybe 2 vaccines approved for emergency use with 100 million doses (enough for 50 million people) available. Will be given initially to medical people, first responders and the institutionalized (nursing homes, possibly prisons etc). Then as more vaccine is manufactured, those over 65.

5 to 6 months (March) - Three vaccines approved. Immunization of the general public begins with vaccine available to anybody who wants it available by June.

At what point in this scenario the “lockdown” rules can be removed and businesses can be free to operate normally (but with people continuing to wear masks) will be up to local officials but I’d argue once the most vulnerable are protected—say around March—it would make sense to remove restrictions and let people decide for themselves how much risk they want to take. I personally will not be comfortable in crowds, dining indoors or on transit until “herd immunity” suppresses viral transmission to a negligible level. But if I were 20 I think I’d behave differently and once those wanting to be protected have been, I think we should let people take what risks they will.

Buckeye Native 001 Nov 3, 2020 7:14 AM

I have a foul mouth and a pessimistic disposition. Not very adult like. I'm 37, I should know better.

I also can't quantify "foreseeable." Months? A year? I just don't know.

Pedestrian Nov 3, 2020 7:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9093563)
Move to LA. Weather is perfect. 24/7/365. Lots of malls and personal trainers in LA too.

Video Link

homebucket Nov 3, 2020 7:24 AM

Outdoor gym life. Doesn’t this look beautiful? Why workout in a poorly ventilated, florescent lit glorified warehouse when you can exercise under these sunny Southern California skies all year round?

Steely Dan Nov 3, 2020 7:44 AM

"NO POLITICS" MEANS NO MOTHERFUCKING POLITICS!

take that shit to the CE toilet.

CaliNative Nov 3, 2020 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah (Post 9091806)
re: moving goal posts:
there are some people in government that are saying we won't return to normalcy until there are zero cases. zero cases?! there is a good possibility that a vaccine if and when it arrives, won't be a cure all. everybody is banking on a vaccine that may or may not be effective. the best situation is that this virus mutates out of existence and burns out after a year or two, like the Spanish flu, honk kong flu, asian flu, swine flu have done.

If we get the R0 (viral spread rate) under one, it will go away. The more under one we get it the quicker it goes away. An R0 of one means on average, a sick person infects one other. Cases are static. An R0 of two means that on average a sick person infects two people. Exponential growth. Right now, many states are above one, so we have more cases every week. It is science and math folks.

How do we get the R0 under one? Masks, social distancing and contact tracing. Short term sacrifice, long term gain. PEOPLE (INCLUDING MAGAS), STOP WHINING & STOP DENYING MEDICAL SCIENCE AND PUT ON MASKS. The more people that wear masks, the R0 goes under one & cases dwindle. The countries that did are now back to normal, places like Japan, New Zealand etc. Science.

Pedestrian Nov 3, 2020 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9093582)
If we get the R0 (viral spread rate) under one, it will go away. The more under one we get it the quicker it goes away. An R0 of one means on average, a sick person infects one other. Cases are static. An R0 of two means that on average a sick person infects two people. Exponential growth. Right now, many states are above one, so we have more cases every week. It is science and math folks.

You ask how do we get the R0 under one? Masks, social distancing and contact tracing. Short term sacrifice, long term gain. PEOPLE, INCLUDING MAGAS, STOP WHINING & STOP DENYING MEDICAL SCIENCE AND PUT ON MASKS. The more people that wear masks and do social distancing the R0 goes under one & cases dwindle. If 90% wore a mask when in public, within a few weeks we would see huge improvement and in 6 months we would be essentially virus free like New Zealand. New York did it last Spring and it ended the exponential phase. Science.

Many scientists don't think that's likely to happen without a vaccine. I suspect they are right. Masks and the rest help some and are essential as long as they are all we've got, but they probably aren't enough to do more than slow down the spread (what we used to call "flatten the curve"). Somewhere pages back I posted a lengthy treatise on why we probably can't reach "herd immunity" without a vaccine and "herd immunity" is the essential condition for an R0 low enough to result in negligible spread.

CaliNative Nov 3, 2020 9:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah (Post 9091806)
re: moving goal posts:
there are some people in government that are saying we won't return to normalcy until there are zero cases. zero cases?! there is a good possibility that a vaccine if and when it arrives, won't be a cure all. everybody is banking on a vaccine that may or may not be effective. the best situation is that this virus mutates out of existence and burns out after a year or two, like the Spanish flu, honk kong flu, asian flu, swine flu have done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9093589)
Many scientists don't think that's likely to happen without a vaccine. I suspect they are right. Masks and the rest help some and are essential as long as they are all we've got, but they probably aren't enough to do more than slow down the spread (what we used to call "flatten the curve"). Somewhere pages back I posted a lengthy treatise on why we probably can't reach "herd immunity" without a vaccine and "herd immunity" is the essential condition for an R0 low enough to result in negligible spread.

It worked for Japan, New Zealand, China, etc. They have bought themselves time for the vaccine. Jeez, you're an MD. Preach the merits of masks to the public. Of course if we had enough N95s it would be much better. These anti maskers act like a mask is the mark of the beast. How did America get so stupid? A mask is a spread reducer. It lowers the R0 and spread rate. I just wish they were all N95s but in a pinch a surgical or cloth mask does reduce spread. If close to 100% wore effective masks, I do believe it would make cases dwindle to almost nothing, "bend the curve" to almost zero in a few months. In theory, near 100% mask use and adequate social distancing could drive a virus to near extinction even without a vaccine and enough therapeutics. A decent vaccine is sometimes only 70 or 80% effective. A good mask is at least that effective and an N95 much better. Masks are what we have now. A mask law is needed.

JManc Nov 3, 2020 9:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9093562)
If life were going to be like this going forward as a “new normal”, as some people say, I would put a bullet in my head tomorrow.

We're all going through same thing and it fucking sucks but healthy/ rational people don't aren't contemplating suicide. You probably should talk to someone.

mrnyc Nov 3, 2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9093562)

time to quit larping, go upstairs, get some fresh air and talk to your mom. and i’m sure there is a helpline in peoria you could call.

glowrock Nov 3, 2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9093605)
We're all going through same thing and it fucking sucks but healthy/ rational people don't aren't contemplating suicide. You probably should talk to someone.

Not entirely true, JManc. I agree that 10023 is a melodramatic queen in the way he's acting, but even "normal" people of all types are likely having at least fleeting thoughts of suicide by now. I can tell you I've had a few passing thoughts during this pandemic, and I know damned well I'm not

Life's been turned upside down and sideways the last 8 months or so, and add in the economic and political stress everyone's facing, you're looking at psychological issues running rampant through society. Once we actually start to agree on what needs to happen in order to slowly re-open everything (I'd say a working vaccine), along with a workable timeline, I think most of us will start to emotionally heal.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Acajack Nov 3, 2020 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 9093645)
Not entirely true, JManc. I agree that 10023 is a melodramatic queen in the way he's acting, but even "normal" people of all types are likely having at least fleeting thoughts of suicide by now. I can tell you I've had a few passing thoughts during this pandemic, and I know damned well I'm not

Life's been turned upside down and sideways the last 8 months or so, and add in the economic and political stress everyone's facing, you're looking at psychological issues running rampant through society. Once we actually start to agree on what needs to happen in order to slowly re-open everything (I'd say a working vaccine), along with a workable timeline, I think most of us will start to emotionally heal.

Aaron (Glowrock)

I am not even close to having suicide enter my mind, but even I can admit that this whole thing has changed and continues to change me psychologically.

The isolation and inward-looking may be depressing but it's also a bit of a rut that's very easy to fall into to the point where it become a somber comfort zone of sorts.

I was very very active socially prior to the pandemic, but like a lot of things once you lose the "habit", it's often really hard to get back into it again, and easier to just continue the way you've been going.

I really am starting to wonder if I won't become more of a shut-in going forward as a result of this, and also what the societal impacts of millions of people (likely) doing the same will be.

I have been consciously fighting it but with each passing week and month I am noticing I have less and less fight left in me. Another me is slowly taking over.

the urban politician Nov 3, 2020 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9093468)
Yes. It has made life not worth living.

^ Seriously, dude, I hope you're not suicidal over here. If so, I think you should seek some help

kool maudit Nov 3, 2020 3:10 PM

New restrictions in today on the rising caseload (casualties remain very limited). Work-from-home strongly recommended along with avoiding public transport, no groups larger than eight in restaurants. No masks though, and no closures. Expanded support for those unable to work normally.

iheartthed Nov 3, 2020 3:16 PM

If you're having suicidal thoughts, please talk to someone. But if you're just whining about having your life inconvenienced for a few months, please shut up about it. It is beyond ironic that some of your parents and grandparents spent way more time in risking their lives in war zones than you're being asked to sit in the house. And they did it under the pretense of protecting this free lifestyle you're crying about having lost. But your selfish asses can't be inconvenienced just a little bit to save their lives or serve the greater good.

JManc Nov 3, 2020 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 9093645)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Suicidal thoughts are not rational thoughts. It is a long term solution to a short term problem and this Covid bullshit is temporary. It's unfortunate that mental health hasn't been made a higher priority or pushed as hard as getting a Covid test or wearing a mask by the media and by public health officials.