SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

ardecila Apr 10, 2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 4788690)
I'll just say that the CTA guy now in charge of these things is pretty savvy about such design concepts. Look again at that Fullerton display, though. It looks like the idea is to show the inner track arrivals differently from the outer track arrivals. It didn't work out quite right, but it's not just some techie mindlessly centering the lines because that's the default.

Why not do it all the way, then? Align the inner track departures to the left side and the outer track departures to the right side. If it's an intentional design cue, it's too subtle. You might even want to throw in some arrows.

The inner and outer track arrivals should also be consolidated, rather than being integrated into one long list by their arrival time.

The sign is showing so many trains, I believe, because it's required to show the next two trains on each line that serves the platform. Since the next Purple train is 11 minutes away, the script includes all the trains arriving in the next 11 minutes.

I'm not a programmer, but I know that all these changes are easy to make... like, 5 minutes of coding easy. It's the collection and verification of the data that's the challenge. Fortunately, since changes to the sign are so easy to make, CTA will probably keep tweaking it until it's optimal.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/504/traintracker.jpg

Via Chicago Apr 10, 2010 2:30 AM

Im willing to give the CTA the benefit of the doubt since this is just a test run. At a bare minimum, they do need to make it neater. But again, look at Berlin; they're using 3 different bolds to emphasize each column, the display appears to be far brighter and easier on the eyes, the fonts are cleaner, etc. If we're copying a system (and btw, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. no need to reinvent the wheel) we might as well go all the way and make sure the details are up to snuff. Its stuff like that which locals and visitors alike sub-consciously take note of and plays a role in forming perceptions of a city.

Busy Bee Apr 10, 2010 4:51 AM

Aesthetically speaking, nothing I've seen anywhere beats the Metro countdown platform signs in Paris. Kinda small picture but you can see it reflected on the ceiling of this ridiculously beautiful copper clad station—

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/...941ac6bb14.jpg
ç

Busy Bee Apr 10, 2010 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 4788916)
Im willing to give the CTA the benefit of the doubt since this is just a test run. At a bare minimum, they do need to make it neater. But again, look at Berlin; they're using 3 different bolds to emphasize each column, the display appears to be far brighter and easier on the eyes, the fonts are cleaner, etc. If we're copying a system (and btw, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. no need to reinvent the wheel) we might as well go all the way and make sure the details are up to snuff. Its stuff like that which locals and visitors alike sub-consciously take note of and plays a role in forming perceptions of a city.

It's also stuff like this thats proof the CTA needs a few more right-brained folks working for them.

bluesxtreme Apr 15, 2010 6:08 PM

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...o-service.html

Quote:

Smoother, more crowded rides? CTA to put new rail cars into service
April 15, 2010 1:00 PM | No Comments
New CTA rail cars featuring mostly center-facing seats to pack in more rush-hour commuters will enter service next week, transit officials announced Thursday.

The new cars will replace trains that have knocked around Chicago since 1969 and will be capable of going 70 mph, though they will now be limited to the current 55 mph limit.

The first 10 rapid-transit cars that are part of an order for 406 new trains, set for delivery through about 2013, have undergone testing on the CTA system since last year. The testing will continue, but now with passengers on board.
CTA officials scheduled a media preview of the new trains for reporters Thursday afternoon at the agency's Skokie Shops rail maintenance facility.

The new rail cars will replace aging equipment that is prone to break down, expensive to maintain and vulnerable to safety failures, including doors that riders report occasionally open while trains are moving, CTA officials said.

Officials said they hope riders notice the smoother ride and the enhanced communications system on the shiny new fleet. Passengers will also see security cameras on board -- a first on CTA trains -- and electronic displays showing upcoming stations and other travel information.

ardecila Apr 15, 2010 10:32 PM

Glad to see the electronic signage made it into the final version. The spy photos of the new cars didn't show them, but maybe they will be added in the remaining 396-car order.

Why are the new 5000s going to the Red Line, though? The Red Line is running 2600s, which won't need replacement for another decade. The Blue Line needs the 2200s replaced quickly, and after that, the Green/Purple Lines need their 2400s replaced Maybe they'll just shift some 2600s over to the Blue Line?

EDIT: just saw CTA's photos of the electronic signage. WTF? It's just a printed map of the CTA system with holes drilled at each station and an LED bulb in each hole. It will also be quite complex to modify whenever infill stations/line extensions open.

I was expecting an LED screen that would show advertising and an interactive graphic showing the train location, thereby removing the expense of printing/installing new maps whenever the rail system is altered, and making it flexible enough to show station closures, elevator outages, and so forth.

This is just... amateur hour. It looks like a middle-schooler made it from Radio Shack parts.

Busy Bee Apr 16, 2010 4:24 AM

^Probably not far off.

NY's newest cars have a fine LED line board, that I think looks and functions great. A solution to the design could have been made in Chicago for more line-to-line mobility. Completely perplexed as to why they feel the need to display the entire system map as part of the LED board. The LED board should be line specific and focused. Not much intellectual or creative decision making behind the scenes at the ol' CTA. Can;t blame Bombardier, they're just building what the CTA asked for. Once again, I'm embarrassed for the CTA. How hard is to get your act together???

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q.../img_45349.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q.../img_45349.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ourse138th.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ourse138th.jpg

sammyg Apr 16, 2010 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4796744)
G just saw CTA's photos of the electronic signage. WTF? It's just a printed map of the CTA system with holes drilled at each station and an LED bulb in each hole.

I saw one like that in London... in 1996.

VivaLFuego Apr 16, 2010 2:36 PM

I suspect the current solution was simply done for expediency, reverting to whatever was spec'd in the early 2000s when this whole epic saga of a procurement started --- since stopping the presses in 2009 and "doing it right" with a nice custom-spec'd route indicator would have resulted in yet another delay to the delivery of the prototypes, which needed to be tested in all seasons.

Stuff like seating configuration or the system map are such a small component of a railcar that they not only can be relatively easily modified in time for the final order, but by rights they should be the least of the engineers' worries for a prototype when compared to the bread and butter issues like propulsion, brakes, cab signalling, doors, suspension, and so on.

Similar story on the next train predictions being sent to those LED signs... the prototype phase is more focused on actually getting the technical aspect of the systems integration working in a reliable manner, with minimum-effort design choices until the technical details are worked out.

As long as there is eventual follow-through on the final 5% of user-experience considerations, it always pays to focus on the underlying technical/functional details of a project first rather than focusing on how it plays in a rendering in a Powerpoint; the Titan Outdoor LCD Screens should be pretty strong evidence of that.

Mr Downtown Apr 18, 2010 1:46 PM

Schedule for 5000-series revenue testing on Red Line

Monday, April 19, 2010 through Friday, April 23, 2010
Monday, April 26, 2010 through Friday, April 30, 2010
Monday, May 3, 2010 through Friday, May 7, 2010
Monday, May 10, 2010 through Friday, May 14, 2010

Southbound – Leaving Howard
Run Number      Scheduled Departure Time
904 0901
905 1244
819 1550
829 1918+

Northbound – Leaving 95th
806 0730
813 1038+
818 1419+
827 1720+
826 2048+

Photos of the new cars (inside and outside) from Ben Meyerson on flickr

bnk Apr 18, 2010 5:40 PM

Here is a very large article from Crain's

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=33270

Illinois Toll Highway Authority needs $2 billion to fix I-90. Will drivers accept a toll hike by scandal-tarred agency?

By: James Ylisela Jr. April 19, 2010

With the expected growth of the region, the tollway is likely to expand, not shrink. In addition to the I-90 project, the tollway is considering numerous others: the Illiana Connector, to join interstates 57 and 65; the Prairie Parkway, to connect interstates 88 and 90; western access to O'Hare, and an extension of I-53/I-355.

ardecila Apr 18, 2010 8:36 PM

Tolls for I-Pass users are the same, in nominal dollars, as they were in 1963! Forty cents! If they had kept pace with inflation, the tolls would be somewhere around $3. I don't think an increase to $1 is unreasonable at all. The toll on the new segment of 355 is already $3, but I think that's a bit absurd to apply elsewhere... drivers going the length of the Tri-State would pay $12 over the course of four toll plazas. That's ridiculous, and it would only encourage more traffic through the city on the free 90 and 94.

But imagine the ridiculous stuff we could build with a $3 toll... I guess that explains why much of the tollway system was able to take shape in less than ten years back in the 50s/60s with an equivalent high level of tolling. That, and the fact that state and federal governments weren't on the brink of insolvency.

Ch.G, Ch.G Apr 18, 2010 11:19 PM

^ The article also says Illinois tolls are a bargain compared to other states. Raising them should be a no-brainer.

Mr Downtown Apr 19, 2010 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4800870)
much of the tollway system was able to take shape in less than ten years back in the 50s/60s with an equivalent high level of tolling. That, and the fact that state and federal governments weren't on the brink of insolvency.

I don't understand the relevance of the insolvency statement. No state or federal money was used for the tollways.

pottebaum Apr 19, 2010 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 4800453)
Monday, April 19, 2010 through Friday, April 23, 2010
Monday, April 26, 2010 through Friday, April 30, 2010
Monday, May 3, 2010 through Friday, May 7, 2010
Monday, May 10, 2010 through Friday, May 14, 2010

Southbound – Leaving Howard
904 0901
905 1244
819 1550
829 1918+

Northbound – Leaving 95th
806 0730
813 1038+
818 1419+
827 1720+
826 2048+

Photos of the new cars (inside and outside) from Ben Meyerson on flickr

...How would those departure times be translated into normal clock time? I totally want to check these out tomorrow!

a chicago bearcat Apr 19, 2010 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottebaum (Post 4801344)
...How would those departure times be translated into normal clock time? I totally want to check these out tomorrow!

I'm assuming it's military time/international time

midnight is 2400 noon is 1200

so 1918 is 7:18 PM

good luck

VivaLFuego Apr 19, 2010 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 4801271)
I don't understand the relevance of the insolvency statement. No state or federal money was used for the tollways.

I would agree, except that most voters are too stupid to know the difference between different units of government, let alone even understand tollway financial arrangements, so I think ardec's point still has some relevance pertaining to how any toll hike would be handled in the public realm.

Mr Downtown Apr 19, 2010 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottebaum (Post 4801344)
...How would those departure times be translated into normal clock time?

Seriously?

Until the early 90s, CTA expected the public to understand signs that said things like

Ravenswood trains
berth at north end of platform
Mon-Fri 0745 to 0922
and 1545 to 1915

use center berths at other times

pottebaum Apr 19, 2010 7:19 PM

Totally serious.

My bad. :/

left of center Apr 20, 2010 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 4801035)
^ The article also says Illinois tolls are a bargain compared to other states. Raising them should be a no-brainer.

theres really no need to raise the cost of doing business in the Chicago area (considering its already high in comparison to some sun belt states), especially when cities such as Memphis and Kansas City are beginning to eat into Chicago's dominance as the freight train/air cargo/trucking capital of North America. If the Illinois Tollway Authority doesnt need to raise the tolls, then it shouldnt.