SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Chicago Shawn Mar 13, 2009 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a chicago bearcat (Post 4137600)
what do people think of extending orange line not only to Ford City Mall, but west from there to the Toyota center, along the corridor between the neighborhoods to the south and industrial warehouses to the north?

just came to mind while trying to figure out fastest transit to and from fire games

Its been talked about on here before. There is a Com-Ed ROW that could take the Orange Line from Ford City to Bridgeview, but the cheapest way to go, would probably be along the Bedford Park railyard, as there are no grade crossings to deal with and the tracks can be laid right on the ground. I pitched the idea that the Toyota Park parking lots can be used as very cheap remote airport parking in the off-season.

I think it would be a worthwhile venture, there is not any competing service to downtown in that area, and the train would greatly shorten commutes to both the Loop and Midway. Plus we could then shorten many PACE and CTA bus routes, which would bring down the travel time and operating costs of those routes.

That said, I do believe the Red Line extension, Mid-City Transitway and Clinton-Larabee subway should get priority over this. Ah, one can dream, right?

schwerve Mar 13, 2009 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 4138287)
Its been talked about on here before. There is a Com-Ed ROW that could take the Orange Line from Ford City to Bridgeview, but the cheapest way to go, would probably be along the Bedford Park railyard, as there are no grade crossings to deal with and the tracks can be laid right on the ground. I pitched the idea that the Toyota Park parking lots can be used as very cheap remote airport parking in the off-season.

I think it would be a worthwhile venture, there is not any competing service to downtown in that area, and the train would greatly shorten commutes to both the Loop and Midway. Plus we could then shorten many PACE and CTA bus routes, which would bring down the travel time and operating costs of those routes.

That said, I do believe the Red Line extension, Mid-City Transitway and Clinton-Larabee subway should get priority over this. Ah, one can dream, right?

as a huge fire fan I'm constantly trying to figure out ways where this would work. basically that intersection needs to develop with some retail, restaurants, bars etc because TP alone can't support that stop. a combination of toyota park, future water park, retail, airport parking, and park-n-ride capabilities could probably warrant an extension since the ROW exists intact. but yeah, there are more important things on the CTA drawing board than this, even the extension to ford city can streamline transit to the area.

lawfin Mar 13, 2009 7:03 PM

I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned clinton-larabee subway....is this an acitve proposal? can you provide a link , details

schwerve Mar 13, 2009 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawfin (Post 4138536)
I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned clinton-larabee subway....is this an acitve proposal? can you provide a link , details

its a CDOT proposal which would run a subway down larabee and clinton and meet up with the red line at around 15th. its pretty difficult to find any details on it online, I've only learned about it through this board.

ardecila Mar 14, 2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 4138257)
Dear uptight Barrington Residents,

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...g?t=1236963014

Hope the train horn is nice and loud.

My only sympathies are with emergency vehicles and increased response time. Of course, a responsible community long spit by two railways would build fire stations and the like, in different areas of the community over the last 100 years.

Barrington does have fire stations on both sides of the EJ&E. The article mentioned ambulances specifically, since the closest hospital is on one side of the tracks (Good Shepherd) and there is no close hospital on the other side. The nearest o.ne would be Alexian Brothers.

Nowhereman1280 Mar 14, 2009 5:51 AM

Hopefully the traffic on these rails will rapidly increase until there is a continuous line of train cars completely circling Chicago and cutting off all of the outer suburbs from the source of their wealth, the City. Then hopefully the disincentives caused by train noise and traffic will cause them to dry up and shrivel like plants with too little water in the hot sun...

Busy Bee Mar 14, 2009 2:09 PM

Funny how train horns oversees aren't an issue at all.They don't even sound the same. Is the audibility and frequancy of NA train horns something the NTSB insists on or is obnoxiously blaring your locomotive horn an American engineer tradition?

ardecila Mar 14, 2009 2:58 PM

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the excessive horn-blaring is done at the engineer's discretion, because towns and cities are able to establish "quiet zones" where the use of horn is prohibited. If it were an FRA regulation, then those quiet zones wouldn't be able to exist legally.

Mr Downtown Mar 14, 2009 6:14 PM

It's an FRA regulation that trains must sound their horns at every grade crossing. The regulations also specify that if certain steps are followed exactly, with certain types of signals and gates at every crossing, a municipality can request a "quiet zone" exemption.

ardecila Mar 15, 2009 5:26 AM

I stand corrected.

bnk Mar 15, 2009 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 4140046)
It's an FRA regulation that trains must sound their horns at every grade crossing. The regulations also specify that if certain steps are followed exactly, with certain types of signals and gates at every crossing, a municipality can request a "quiet zone" exemption.

Chicagoland has an exemption

FRA Decision to Exempt Chicago Area from Train Horn Rule

Flawed data allows communities to keep their quiet zones for the time being

Deerfield, IL - Congressman Mark Kirk (R-Highland Park) announced Friday the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) will be making an exception to the Chicago area when they publish their final rule regarding the use of train horns at railroad crossings. The rule will be published on April 27, 2005. FRA noted that much of the data collected for the Chicago area and the balance of Illinois were badly out of date and further inquiry was needed.

http://www.house.gov/list/press/il10...nhornrule.html

http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/07May/RL33286.pdf

the urban politician Mar 15, 2009 10:22 PM

According to the Transport Politic, here is a (as of yet incomplete) breakdown of how Chicago will be using its transit funds from the Stimulus package:

Chicago
Line Improvements
$166 million for infrastructure renewal program (CTA)
$5 million for signal upgrades (CTA)
$111 million for bridge upgrades (Metra)
$7 million for new signals (CTA)
Station Improvements
$2.5 million for rail station upgrades (CTA)
$2.5 million for facility upgrades (CTA)
$6.8 million for new 35th St Station (Metra)
$2.5 million for station upgrades (Metra)
$31 million for station improvements and parking (Metra)
Vehicles
$55 million for new buses (CTA)
$5 million for bus overhauls (CTA)
$7 million for rail overhauls (CTA)
$34 million for new paratransit vehicles (Pace)
$29 million for new buses (Pace)
$2 million for non-revenue vehicles (Pace)
$1.5 million for new vans (Pace)
$71 million for rail overhauls (Metra)
$2 million for railcar improvements (Metra)
Preventative Maintenance
$80 million for preventative maintenance (CTA)

the urban politician Mar 15, 2009 10:51 PM

Just perusing the Transport Politic's website, it appears that Chicago is one of the only major cities not actively building any new transit lines or major stations:

http://thetransportpolitic.com/under-construction/

So how much longer are we going to keep dreaming about the Olympics instead of just planning for the future? The way I see it, it's too bad the IOC is deciding in October, because the sooner Chicago finds out whether or not it's getting the Olympics, the sooner it can move forward on some of these projects without them having to be in the context of some dreamy Olympics funding windfall.

Obama is putting the money out there now, so what are we all waiting for?

Finally: am I the only one who thinks that Millennium Park station and Union Station should be connected by an underground rail link?

bnk Mar 15, 2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4141882)
Just perusing the Transport Politic's website, it appears that Chicago is one of the only major cities not actively building any new transit lines:

http://thetransportpolitic.com/under-construction/

So how much longer are we going to keep dreaming about the Olympics instead of just planning for the future? The way I see it, it's too bad the IOC is deciding in October, because the sooner Chicago finds out whether or not it's getting the Olympics, the sooner it can move forward on some of these projects without them having to be in the context of some Olympics funding windfall.

From what I know... the CTA and Metra's expansion plans rely on extending their current lines further into the inner burbs for the CTA or into the Exurbs for Metra.

As far as new lines are concerned the last new Metra line was added was to Antioch around 5 years or so ago.

I am ok with just extending the already extensive lines. But if the Chicago area really wants to improve intercity transport the CTA in particular really needs to eliminate the slow zones and the Metra could add the bar car back.;)

the urban politician Mar 15, 2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 4141888)
From what I know... the CTA and Metra's expansion plans rely on extending their current lines further into the inner burbs for the CTA or into the Exurbs for Metra.

As far as new lines are concerned the last new Metra line was added was to Antioch around 5 years or so ago.

I am ok with just extending the already extensive lines. But if the Chicago area really wants to improve intercity transport the CTA in particular really needs to eliminate the slow zones and the Metra could add the bar car back.;)

^ I'm not disagreeing, but I think line extensions would also be included in the link I provided above. Chicago has 3 planned line extensions (CTA) and another few for Metra, none of which are happening. It's got a half-finished superstation at Block 37, dreamy thoughts of airport express routes, and plans for a West Loop Transportation Center that seem to be sitting on the drawing board.

The BRT project was lost, and now there's a wimpy earmark for a line whose route hasn't even been determined (Circle Line). So far, a D- performance, guys.

Not only is this the most pro-transit Presidential administration in the past half-century, but it's made up ENTIRELY OF CHICAGOANS. Who needs the damn Olympics? Just get these projects going NOW, when will there be another chance like this one? I'm pretty sure that after 8 years of Obama (hopefully), the Republicans will have gotten their act together and plant somebody in office who will bring transit funding to a grinding HALT. Seriously, the only reason I have ever given even one tenth of a shit about the Olympics was due to the prospect of transit funding.

But with Obama, Biden, Emmanuel, Durbin, and LaHood steering this ship, Chicago has already won the transit-funding equivalent of the Olympics, hasn't it? Toss the bid-book into the trash and let the Games go to Rio! Roll up your sleeves, Daley, and get some projects going now while you can.

Abner Mar 15, 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4141895)
Roll up your sleeves, Daley, and get some projects going now while you can.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll ask again: what has Daley ever done that suggests that he gives two shits about expanding public transit in Chicago?

schwerve Mar 15, 2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

^ I'm not disagreeing, but I think line extensions would also be included in the link I provided above. Chicago has 3 planned line extensions (CTA) and another few for Metra, none of which are happening. It's got a half-finished superstation at Block 37, dreamy thoughts of airport express routes, and plans for a West Loop Transportation Center that seem to be sitting on the drawing board.

The BRT project was lost, and now there's a wimpy earmark for a line whose route hasn't even been determined (Circle Line). So far, a D- performance, guys.

Not only is this the most pro-transit Presidential administration in the past half-century, but it's made up ENTIRELY OF CHICAGOANS. Who needs the damn Olympics? Just get these projects going NOW, when will there be another chance like this one? I'm pretty sure that after 8 years of Obama (hopefully), the Republicans will have gotten their act together and plant somebody in office who will bring transit funding to a grinding HALT. Seriously, the only reason I have ever given even one tenth of a shit about the Olympics was due to the prospect of transit funding.

But with Obama, Biden, Emmanuel, Durbin, and LaHood steering this ship, Chicago has already won the transit-funding equivalent of the Olympics, hasn't it? Toss the bid-book into the trash and let the Games go to Rio! Roll up your sleeves, Daley, and get some projects going now while you can.

I completely disagree chicago SHOULD NOT be expanding its transit infrastructure at the current moment, any money appropriated needs to go directly into fixing the issues in the current system as opposed to expanding it. Its not that I don't think the system deserves expansion in areas but in terms of priorities the current system still needs 6 billion dollars to get to a state of good repair. I love the idea of a clinton larabee subway but I love the idea of new trainsets and upgraded subway stations much much much more. Unfortunately the money doesn't exist to do both, until we get a good handle on some of the issues in the existing system we shouldn't be breaking ground on new projects.

Chicago Shawn Mar 15, 2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

First off, none of the line extensions are defined as "shovel ready", a requirement to receive Stimulus Funds. All of the plans need to complete the alternative analysis process and environmental impact studies before any federal funding can be awarded, allowing construction contracts to go out to bid. CTA needs a lot of differed maintenance taken care of, and that is what the current funds are helping with. The new transportation bill will be brought before congress this fall, and with a lot of much needed highway maintenance now being taken care of, perhaps more money will be available for transit.

Third, if Chicago should be awarded the games, the Obama administration now has a compelling reason to send additional funds directly to Chicago, without it being viewed as pork; because the Olympics are an international event on the national spotlight. There are many plans on the books now which have had various amounts of study and engineering work done. If we get the green light for the Olympics, then we can just say here, this is what we would like to do and is ready to go. Give us the funds, and we can fast track it to construction (no pun intended).

Chicago Shawn Mar 15, 2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abner (Post 4141906)
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll ask again: what has Daley ever done that suggests that he gives two shits about expanding public transit in Chicago?

Daley personally said to Bush that Chicago needs a new rail line to the west of downtown to help with the Olympics. Whether that was the Circle Line, Mid-City or the Clinton-Larabee; I do not know. Daley has also pushed for the Carroll Avenue Transit way (under study and engineering work by CDOT), promoted the idea of adopting BRT on varrious city streets, and was a pusher for the distributor LRT system for downtown back in the '90s, which was latter killed. I think that was because the state wouldn't provide matching funds under Jim Edger, but I can not be sure about that.

CDOT has also been refurbishing subway stations one at a time. City of Chicago owns the subway tubes, while the rest of the system is owned by CTA.

To be fair, actions do speak louder than words, but also to be fair we have a transit system run by a separate agency, not the City of Chicago. Yes, the mayor can hand pick the president, and TIF funds could go more toward transit infrastructure (although that also becomes an aldermanic issue); but the CTA is intended to operate as an independent agency.

I am going to go ahead and speculate that Daley is ridding on the Olympics to give us a coupon on transit expansion. Should we not get the games, lets see if a push to grab transit funds is put forth, I certainly hope so.

the urban politician Mar 15, 2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwerve (Post 4141914)
I completely disagree chicago SHOULD NOT be expanding its transit infrastructure at the current moment, any money appropriated needs to go directly into fixing the issues in the current system as opposed to expanding it. Its not that I don't think the system deserves expansion in areas but in terms of priorities the current system still needs 6 billion dollars to get to a state of good repair. I love the idea of a clinton larabee subway but I love the idea of new trainsets and upgraded subway stations much much much more. Unfortunately the money doesn't exist to do both, until we get a good handle on some of the issues in the existing system we shouldn't be breaking ground on new projects.

^ Why can't both be done?