SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 2:47 AM

Hungry in San Francisco?

Here Are All The San Francisco Restaurants That Are Open For Delivery And Takeout

Handro Mar 18, 2020 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8865357)
Despite all these precautions, most of us will get it. Ain't necessarily the end of the world if we do, depending on our immune response. That's something I'm thinking about since it's inevitable.

Pretty sure that even worst case scenarios don’t have “most” people getting it... it would have to be the most contagious virus of all time. At this point they’re not even sure how contagious it is.

photoLith Mar 18, 2020 3:21 AM

It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it. The death rate of 1-2 percent is clearly not that; and if it is, I t’s with those, sorry to say, who are within a couple of years of dying anyways. This is going to cause the Great Depression 2.0. Sorry 10023 for calling you a monster, but I digress and believe this is all being overblown. Elderly people above the age of 75 (who mostly are already retired) should be quarantined. Nobody else should be. This is going to cause immense suffering by the majority of the American populace due to loss of jobs and no social safety networks and no universal healthcare.

This is 9/11 times 100.

Handro Mar 18, 2020 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8865511)
It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it.

I don’t think that’s accurate. 70-80% are “mild” in that they don’t require hospitalization.

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:34 AM

Quote:

It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it. The death rate of 1-2 percent is clearly not that; and if it is, I t’s with those, sorry to say, who are within a couple of years of dying anyways. This is going to cause the Great Depression 2.0. Sorry 10023 for calling you a monster, but I digress and believe this is all being overblown. Elderly people above the age of 75 (who mostly are already retired) should be quarantined. Nobody else should be. This is going to cause immense suffering by the majority of the American populace due to loss of jobs and no social safety networks and no universal healthcare.

This is 9/11 times 100.

Global figures and number of deaths sorted by country, updated about every 8 hours. You might want to bookmark and keep checking back. As of this evening the GLOBAL death rate seems to be 0.0402391782905905 (198,513 cases/7988 deaths) https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:42 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Global figures and number of deaths updated about every 8 hours. You might want to bookmark and keep checking back. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:45 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Here is the GLOBAL death rate breakdown sorted by age based on the 198,518 case figure
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old

21.9%

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

photoLith Mar 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8865557)
Here is the GLOBAL death rate breakdown sorted by age based on the 198,518 case figure
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old

21.9%

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

Yes and like live said, the vast majority of cases are unreported. So that skews the death rate by a huge percentage. I don’t understand why this is so hard to understand.

AviationGuy Mar 18, 2020 5:42 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Your info is different from what the medical community has been telling us. Dr. Fauci (not sure how you spell it) has been a good source of information.
Consider the catastrophe in Italy right now. That's us in a couple of weeks if we don't take all these strict measures.

BnaBreaker Mar 18, 2020 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8865561)
Yes and like live said, the vast majority of cases are unreported. So that skews the death rate by a huge percentage. I don’t understand why this is so hard to understand.

Read this: https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 7:49 AM

the problem is that nutcase cheeto in charge gutted the cdc and obstructed testing, so we dont know who has it, much less how sick they can get or not.

when better and ramped up testing is rolling, i’ll feel more confident about understanding the stats on the disease. right now all we have is very limited and select data.

Ifactwo Mar 18, 2020 11:05 AM

No more toilet papers to be sold everywhere you go, all are stuck in their home and me and my family was having a family bond together. Guess this Covid-19 virus does have some perk with it. Keep safe everyone.

Crawford Mar 18, 2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 8865576)
Consider the catastrophe in Italy right now. That's us in a couple of weeks if we don't take all these strict measures.

The U.S. is generating a different sort of catastrophe, by destroying our economy because a few people might die. To me, it's crazy.

Why are we shutting down our economy to prevent deaths? Makes no sense. The CA gov. says no school till September. I mean, if 7 million kids are gonna be permanently harmed (they will never make that learning up), what is the point of any of this? Why even reopen in September, as there will still be virus transmission? Just shut down schools forever, so no virus is transmitted on school grounds, ever.

Wuhan schools are open, BTW.

fern Mar 18, 2020 11:48 AM

v
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8865632)

by destroying our economy because a few people might die. To me, it's crazy.

What if you or a loved one dies ? would that be worth saving the economy?

Crawford Mar 18, 2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fern (Post 8865634)
What if you or a loved one dies ? would that be worth saving the economy?

Yes, absolutely.

I have a family member who died in a car crash. That family member would likely be alive if there were no cars. But I don't think cars should be outlawed, even if millions of lives would be saved.

And I would much rather die of coronavirus, than live in a society where there is no economy, or socialization, or community. I don't see the point of living if all the good things about life are removed.

Handro Mar 18, 2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

The U.S. is generating a different sort of catastrophe, by destroying our economy because a few people might die. To me, it's crazy.

Why are we shutting down our economy to prevent deaths? Makes no sense. The CA gov. says no school till September. I mean, if 7 million kids are gonna be permanently harmed (they will never make that learning up), what is the point of any of this? Why even reopen in September, as there will still be virus transmission? Just shut down schools forever, so no virus is transmitted on school grounds, ever.

Ha, comparing the “permanent harm” to children by missing the final 3 months of the school year to the millions of deaths if nothing is done to curb the spread of this virus. That’s pretty good.

Clearly some people still aren’t paying close enough attention to what’s happening and the real dangers of this disease spreading unabated. It would not be “a few” people dying, it would be millions.

Crawford Mar 18, 2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8865642)
Ha, comparing the “permanent harm” to children by missing the final 3 months of the school year to the millions of deaths if nothing is done to curb the spread of this virus. That’s pretty good.

The harm to the children is greater. 7 million children in CA will lose 6 months of critical schooling. I would happily sacrifice myself if it meant my son would not have his life permanently affected.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8865642)
Clearly some people still aren’t paying close enough attention to what’s happening and the real dangers of this disease spreading unabated. It would not be “a few” people dying, it would be millions.

So what? Why is is better to destroy billions of peoples lives?

If it could be proven that 100 million people will die of Coronavirus, it still wouldn't be worth it. Even at 1 billion, probably not worth it. The other 6 billion people shouldn't have their lives sacrificed.

hauntedheadnc Mar 18, 2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8865460)
So, like, can you hire a drag queen to do a show in your living room? Seems to go against the tenets of social distancing, but this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

At this point, depending on the size of your living room, you probably could -- and some of the mansions in Biltmore Forest or up on Town Mountain have honest-to-God ballrooms. However, they were more just asking for tips to live on now, with a promise to put on a hell of a show when things calm down.

In other news, my favorite coffee shop switched to curbside service only. You check the Facebook page or the Instagram account and see what's on the menu, text it in and tell them what car you'll be in, and they come out with a tablet with one of those little white credit card things attached. You swipe, they give, you go. It went pretty smoothly. I was pleased to see several people showing up to show the owner their support. I've also been ordering my dinner from DoorDash this week, and I've been trying to call all my favorite restaurants and tell them about the Asheville Strong site, where people can go on and buy gift cards to various area businesses, or go to those businesses' websites and order from them.

fern Mar 18, 2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8865647)
The harm to the children is greater. 7 million children in CA will lose 6 months of critical schooling. I would happily sacrifice myself if it meant my son would not have his life permanently affected.

So what? Why is is better to destroy billions of peoples lives?

If it could be proven that 100 million people will die of Coronavirus, it still wouldn't be worth it. Even at 1 billion, probably not worth it. The other 6 billion people shouldn't have their lives sacrificed.

I sincerely hope you don't mean that
I am a humble self employed house painter at home this afternoon as all my work has either been cancelled or delayed .
If this situation continues for months I am looking at losing my house but would consider it worth the sacrifice if it only saved one life.
All the best to you and your family

giallo Mar 18, 2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

The shut down is to reduce the infection levels, and give hospitals a fighting chance. It's not just about old people dying, it's about you getting in to a car crash or having a heart attack, and having a functional hospital to keep you alive.

All you needed to do is look at was what happened in Wuhan and Northern Italy before they took drastic measures. The medical system was falling apart at the seams due to the sheer amount of patients coming in.