SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Busy Bee Apr 21, 2014 1:35 AM

Video Link

le_brew Apr 21, 2014 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6546924)
Would BRT here be using new, as-yet-unproposed bus models, or something retrofitted from the current (or already pipelined) fleet? One thing the L trains have going for them is zero emissions. That said, I know nothing about the current buses' emissions but I assume they're greater than zero.

we seem to ignore jeffery "jump" which is operational and supposed to be a case study in BRT for chicago.

ardecila Apr 21, 2014 3:00 AM

Except that the Ashland proposal is a whole other kettle of fish. Center dedicated lanes, actual stations, left boarding, prepaid fares, etc.

Jeffrey Jump isn't BRT and calling it such just waters down the term. It's an upgraded bus, that's it. Even on CTA's webpage, they are careful to avoid using the term BRT for the Jump.

le_brew Apr 21, 2014 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6547138)
Except that the Ashland proposal is a whole other kettle of fish. Center dedicated lanes, actual stations, left boarding, prepaid fares, etc.

Jeffrey Jump isn't BRT and calling it such just waters down the term. It's an upgraded bus, that's it. Even on CTA's webpage, they are careful to avoid using the term BRT for the Jump.

really? then we really don't know WTF we're doing cause that was supposed to be the purpose. a prototype.

sorry, just frustrated about this city's approach! to just about everything!

alright i should just move. . .

Rizzo Apr 21, 2014 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6547086)

We can't have these. They are too nice.

UPChicago Apr 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6546934)
This being Chicago I'm sure we'll end up with some butt ugly New Flyer CNG "metroliners" like the ones in LA all dolled up with ticky tack to look like its different than an ordinary bus. For the infrastructure required for the Ashland BRT, I wish they'd go ahead and install overhead wires and give Chicago a real trolleybus again.

Not electric, but Van Hool just released a new BRT bus made to look as much like an LRV as possible:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/...9209204f08.jpg

YES PLEASE! :tup:

LouisVanDerWright Apr 21, 2014 3:34 PM

While those buses are certainly eye candy, I don't really give a shit what they look like, I just want the Ashland BRT to get built NOW. They can use school buses for all I care, just build the damn BRT line.

oshkeoto Apr 21, 2014 8:46 PM

Quote:

really? then we really don't know WTF we're doing cause that was supposed to be the purpose. a prototype.

sorry, just frustrated about this city's approach! to just about everything!

alright i should just move. . .
What? The Jump was never supposed to be full-on BRT. It tested a few concepts, like part-time dedicated lanes, queue jumps and signal priority. Calm down.

CTA Gray Line Apr 22, 2014 3:47 AM

Transit shake-up not on fast track, key lawmaker says

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...04212014-305pm

MON, 04/21/2014 - 3:05PM

ROSALIND ROSSI

@ROSALINDROSSI | EMAIL

Legislative efforts to dramatically shake up how the Chicago area’s transit agencies are organized probably won’t become a reality until next year, the chairman of the House Mass Transit Committee said Monday.......

chicagopcclcar1 Apr 22, 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6547514)
While those buses are certainly eye candy, I don't really give a shit what they look like, I just want the Ashland BRT to get built NOW. They can use school buses for all I care, just build the damn BRT line.

I say don't ever build a Ashland BRT!!!! A Chicago motorist!

LouisVanDerWright Apr 22, 2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagopcclcar1 (Post 6549578)
I say don't ever build a Ashland BRT!!!! A Chicago motorist!

As a citizen of Chicago who drives, bikes, walks, and takes transit, I say increase the city sticker costs to $100/month instead of $120/year or whatever it is and slap incoming commuters with a commuter tax or toll upon entering the city in the morning and leaving at night of no less than $2.50 each way. Also, there shouldn't be a single street in the city that is 4 lanes for more than 8 blocks. How do you like that?

People would be a lot more interested in taking transit if their car was costing them the same price per month as a 30 day pass just to own it, let alone the costs of operating it.

pilsenarch Apr 23, 2014 2:18 PM

^^^most definitely agree with all of that

UPChicago Apr 23, 2014 2:56 PM

I don't agree, unless the revenue could only be spent on expanding transit and in Chicago I am sure the revenue would find its way into the pockets of the politically connected instead. Being a newly minted Northsider myself, I understand how people who's lives revolve around the North Side can advocate ditching the automobile all together but the truth of the matter is transit in Chicagoland as a whole is not adequate enough for it to be a viable alternative to the automobile like it is in NYC. I purchase a 30 day pass through Wage Works each month and I also own a car and spend about $100-150 in gas per month. I frequently have to travel to the South Side and South Suburbs and there is no way I would be supportive of being tolled and there is no way transit would be a viable option.

wierdaaron Apr 24, 2014 10:46 PM

Uber just released this map of uber activity, it's kinda pretty. Here's a cropped version:

http://i.imgur.com/6OONlLG.png

Full-size here.

A few observations:

* People take Uber to the airports a lot. High speed light rail, please.
* Check out that massive black hole in the south loop, between (what I'm guessing is) Roosevelt and Cermak.
* What were uber drivers doing out on Navy Pier?

Rizzo Apr 25, 2014 4:49 AM

Answer to your last question. People are picked up at the conferencing/events and theater in the sheltered valet and taxi area in the middle of the pier. Taxi area out front is not in use, so they have to drive out onto the pier to pick up passengers

It's a total mess over there right now. Or shall I say ...messier than usual

Not surprised about michigan ave being bright colored. Cabs are the only way to get around downtown since transit does not effectively serve downtown north of the river (locally) due to overcrowding and slow transit vehicle movement.

wierdaaron Apr 25, 2014 6:05 AM

Transit would be so much easier, especially for tourists, if there were just a "Michigan Avenue" bus that did a continuous route between the top of mag mile and the bottom of grant park. Almost every question I hear from confused tourists at bus stops downtown can be answered with "take the number 3". They either want to get to the bean or to their hotel on mag mile, and the route signs at bus stops can be a bit impenetrable to an out of towner who's never tried to use a bus system before. Oh to be able to tell people "take the Michigan Ave bus to the Hancock Center stop."

guesswho Apr 25, 2014 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6552970)
Transit would be so much easier, especially for tourists, if there were just a "Michigan Avenue" bus that did a continuous route between the top of mag mile and the bottom of grant park. Almost every question I hear from confused tourists at bus stops downtown can be answered with "take the number 3". They either want to get to the bean or to their hotel on mag mile, and the route signs at bus stops can be a bit impenetrable to an out of towner who's never tried to use a bus system before. Oh to be able to tell people "take the Michigan Ave bus to the Hancock Center stop."

That's a great idea. I used to take the 151 from Union Station up to Lakeview on the weekends, and the bus was full with METRA suburbanites like me once it hit State Street, then it was packed once it hit Millennium Park, then it was over-capacity from the River up to inner LSD, all with tourists doing (exactly as you say) the Bean - Oak Street stretch on Michigan Avenue.

Or maybe a dedicated touristy trolley/double decker bus would work, kind of like Navy Pier used to run (or do they still) from the Loop over to the Pier. Just start at Michigan/Roosevelt and go up to Michigan/Oak and turn around and have tons of signage on it to attract the tourists.

Then it would get the tourists off the 151; oftentimes it would take up to 55+ minutes from Union Station to Lakeview on the 151 due to all the tourist stop/go motions on Michigan Ave. I would oftentimes run the 4 miles back to Union Station with my backpack as it was quicker than the bus.

chiguy123 Apr 25, 2014 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guesswho (Post 6553143)
That's a great idea. I used to take the 151 from Union Station up to Lakeview on the weekends, and the bus was full with METRA suburbanites like me once it hit State Street, then it was packed once it hit Millennium Park, then it was over-capacity from the River up to inner LSD, all with tourists doing (exactly as you say) the Bean - Oak Street stretch on Michigan Avenue.

Or maybe a dedicated touristy trolley/double decker bus would work, kind of like Navy Pier used to run (or do they still) from the Loop over to the Pier. Just start at Michigan/Roosevelt and go up to Michigan/Oak and turn around and have tons of signage on it to attract the tourists.

Then it would get the tourists off the 151; oftentimes it would take up to 55+ minutes from Union Station to Lakeview on the 151 due to all the tourist stop/go motions on Michigan Ave. I would oftentimes run the 4 miles back to Union Station with my backpack as it was quicker than the bus.

I hear what you are saying, but there are so many busses going up and down Michigan Ave. (or close-by) that it would be overkill IMO.

You've got the:
3, 146, 147, 151, 157 (and those don't include rush hour busses like the 143, etc.)

And nearby ones like the 29, 36, 22, etc.

guesswho Apr 25, 2014 3:56 PM

True, but on the weekends, the bus services seem more limited and thus more crowded (i.e. the 151 being the only/best option from Union Station up to Lakeview), so that's why I thought the tourist trolley/bus might be a good idea, like wierdaaron mentioned.

ardecila Apr 25, 2014 6:31 PM

CTA finally divulged the full list of buildings for the Clark Flyover...

It looks like they will not only build the flyover but also straighten the S-curve between Clark and Newport, which is nice but doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of so much demolition.

killaviews Apr 25, 2014 7:42 PM

Does anyone know if the CTA ever considered going under? Could the Brownline run at grade level directly under the tracks, then come up again at Belmont? I'm sure they thought of it, but how come it doesn't work?

You would have to close School Street, but that wouldn't be a major as knocking down all these buildings.

UPChicago Apr 25, 2014 7:45 PM

that list would turn that area into a deadzone for sure

woodrow Apr 25, 2014 7:55 PM

Holy F*CK that's a lot of buildings. As someone who would benefit mightily by the flyover, I am a little concerned about this. I want to know what the CTA is planning to do to get buildings back on these streets after construction...not just renderings of what "could" be done. I hope they aggressive market the properties for post el construction development.

ardecila Apr 25, 2014 8:11 PM

Interesting... looks like the new Division bridge will be a bascule! That's weird, since the Chicago bridge is locked shut and large boats cannot go further north. Even if they "unlocked" that bridge, the new one at Halsted is a fixed bridge by design.

Quote:

Trucks and Buses Detoured from Division Street Bridge over Chicago River North Branch Canal
April 10, 2014

Century-old Bridge to be Demolished and Replaced This Summer

Prior to this summer’s planned demolition and replacement of the bridge at Division Street over the Chicago River North Branch Canal, heavy trucks and buses will be detoured around the structure to prevent further deterioration of the century-old bridge.

The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) is restricting vehicles that weigh more than five tons from using the bridge due to the potential for vibrations from these trucks and buses leading to further deterioration of the bridge before it can be replaced.

Built in 1903, the double-leaf bascule movable bridge is nearing the end of its useful life and is in need of a full replacement. CDOT plans to close the bridge to all traffic later this spring in order to demolish the structure and replace it with a fixed-span interim bridge until a permanent bascule one is constructed.

The bridge remains safe for lighter vehicles and pedestrians to cross. Auto, bicycle and pedestrian traffic will be allowed to use the bridge until demolition begins in early June. CDOT has been working with the businesses in the area to inform them of the detour routes and construction.

Jibba Apr 25, 2014 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6553580)
It looks like they will not only build the flyover but also straighten the S-curve between Clark and Newport, which is nice but doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of so much demolition.

Especially since Addison is less than 1000 ft. from the kink. Not sure when the trains have to start to slow for their approach to the platform, but it can't be much shorter than that.

MayorOfChicago Apr 25, 2014 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6553580)
CTA finally divulged the full list of buildings for the Clark Flyover...

I was wondering what in gods name was going on north of roscoe with all those buildings set to be demolished. I certainly hope they pass on the straightening. It's such a small kink, and it would really ruin clark street.

Honestly other than the Johnny Ohagan's building and the 3334 building I don't really care much for the others. Bolat and the building on N. Sheffield are nothing special, just one or two stories. They're not taking all of Jimmy Johns and nothing really to the south. The buildings on Wilton are a different story, but I don't know much about them.

denizen467 Apr 26, 2014 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibba (Post 6553753)
Especially since Addison is less than 1000 ft. from the kink. Not sure when the trains have to start to slow for their approach to the platform, but it can't be much shorter than that.

The kink is actually about dead center between Belmont and Addison, so presumably that's the sweet spot for max speed.

Rebuilding the Red Line is a once in a century project, and the buildings to be demolished probably don't have very long lifespans anyway, given the way commercial re-development of Wrigleyville is going, so it seems over the long term the straightening of the kink is not a bad decision.

Nerd question: Does wear and tear, and therefore maintenance costs, on the wheels/axles -- and rails and ties -- get noticeably reduced if you eliminate kinks like this one?

Rizzo Apr 27, 2014 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiguy123 (Post 6553277)
I hear what you are saying, but there are so many busses going up and down Michigan Ave. (or close-by) that it would be overkill IMO.

You've got the:
3, 146, 147, 151, 157 (and those don't include rush hour busses like the 143, etc.)

And nearby ones like the 29, 36, 22, etc.

And that's why the system is broken. The buses bunch and don't move. If anyone has done a comparison commute walking down michigan vs boarding a bus, you can usually match the speed of the buses. Goes to show they either need a dedicated lane or bus tunnel or else replace the express lines with rail that has less stops downtown.

MayorOfChicago Apr 27, 2014 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6555415)
And that's why the system is broken. The buses bunch and don't move. If anyone has done a comparison commute walking down michigan vs boarding a bus, you can usually match the speed of the buses. Goes to show they either need a dedicated lane or bus tunnel or else replace the express lines with rail that has less stops downtown.

Yeah, if I'm not N. Michigan and I'm hopping a bus out of the area I always just go to end and get on there - I hate the 20 minute of CRAWLING up michigan.

Chi-Sky21 Apr 27, 2014 5:36 PM

OR...just go take the red line.

untitledreality Apr 27, 2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6555498)

Its not that simple. While the red line is a mere three blocks West of Michigan Avenue downtown, it is much farther West of the dense North lakefront areas, sometimes up to a 20 minute walk if you live along the lake in Lincoln Park or Lakeview.

Rizzo Apr 28, 2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6555498)

You're kidding right? Ever live in Gold Coast or Streeterville? It's a big waste of time.

wierdaaron Apr 28, 2014 12:48 AM

Especially for tourists. If you've never lived in or spent time in a big city, mass transit systems can be incredibly daunting to figure out -- from how to get a ticket ("you can get a day pass!...but not here") to what train/bus to take to how/where to board. Telling a visitor to "just take the number 3 bus" can be like telling someone to "just perform a heap sort on a 12TB recursive dataset of key:value pairs."

My idea for a Michigan Avenue bus would be to have something that people don't have to figure out. You could take a normal bus and give it a friendly alternate paint job like the Jump Bus, have it stop at major destinations rather than every street (Soldier Field, Willis Tower, Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park, Riverwalk, Wrigley Plaza, Navy Pier, Mag Mile Center, Hancock Center, Lincoln Park Zoo?) and make the payment/onboarding as simple as possible (make the fare a flat dollar amount and/or have credit card readers onboard so visitors don't need to figure out the ventra/farecard system first).

I don't think that would be extremely expensive to set up and it could be a huge advantage to the city in attracting and catering to visitors, which Rahm has been on a huge kick about. It'd be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to reconfigure the whole CTA to be less daunting.

If that worked, maybe some additional routes that serve common tourism waypoints could be identified.

nomarandlee Apr 28, 2014 1:32 AM

:previous: I like that idea. Especially on the weekends in the summer.

emathias Apr 28, 2014 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6555783)
Especially for tourists.
My idea for a Michigan Avenue bus would be to have something that people don't have to figure out. You could take a normal bus and give it a friendly alternate paint job like the Jump Bus, have it stop at major destinations rather than every street (Soldier Field, Willis Tower, Buckingham Fountain, Millennium Park, Riverwalk, Wrigley Plaza, Navy Pier, Mag Mile Center, Hancock Center, Lincoln Park Zoo?)

This is fundamentally the same idea as the free trolleys that the City used to bankroll for tourist attactions but did away due to cost-cutting a couple years ago.

Chi-Sky21 Apr 28, 2014 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6555753)
You're kidding right? Ever live in Gold Coast or Streeterville? It's a big waste of time.

Unfortunately no, i have not been blessed to be in that income bracket. BUTT...what i do know , is whenever i have traveled to cities with good mass transit. My 1st choice is always to use their subway not their bus lines. Always much easier to figure out. Since the post was directed towards tourists, i would tell them to walk..or use the redline...most likely no tourist is heading to the Gold Coast or Streeterville anyways.

Rizzo Apr 28, 2014 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6555859)
Unfortunately no, i have not been blessed to be in that income bracket. BUTT...what i do know , is whenever i have traveled to cities with good mass transit. My 1st choice is always to use their subway not their bus lines. Always much easier to figure out. Since the post was directed towards tourists, i would tell them to walk..or use the redline...most likely no tourist is heading to the Gold Coast or Streeterville anyways.

I guess my series of posts had more to do with the overall functionality of transit North of the River and less with tourists...although it's certainly part of it. But everything becomes less efficient during commuter crush hours.

1. Boarding RL trains is difficult to impossible at Grand, Chicago and Clark and Division during morning commutes.
2. Commute time is not improved for 90% of area residents by taking rail due to station placement that is remote for the majority of residents.
3. Buses are equally as overcrowded or worse than the trains. Buses bunch and are hindered by taxis and turning vehicles along with slow boarding times.

All of this seems to me like a great reason to run Light Rail or very high occupancy buses along or under Michigan Ave. It would do double-duty serving tourists during non-commute hours.

The current travel time on a bus from Oak LSD ramp to Madison when commuting is about 25 minutes. It takes 30 minutes to do a leisurely walk the same route. Some sort of LRT circulator would ease the load on buses into the loop via Michigan and also provide convenient means for downtown residents to access shopping, work, universities and their hospitals, and most important... tourists to reach their hotels, shopping, and area destinations.

Anyway, sorry...I hear "just use the Red Line" quite a lot, but that's like someone saying "Just use the red line" and they live way over by the Lincoln Park Zoo. Even with a major transit line beneath State street downtown doesn't mean it's convenient or even accessible. The ideal situation was for buses to meet the needs of downtown residents, but I think the number of customers boarding along Michigan has well exceeded capacity. That said, I don't think more buses can possibly added so it's time to start considering new modes.

nomarandlee Apr 28, 2014 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6555828)
This is fundamentally the same idea as the free trolleys that the City used to bankroll for tourist attactions but did away due to cost-cutting a couple years ago.

True. But beyond the novelty they were/are terribly inefficent. I was with my father at the tall ships exhibit last year and we were trying to catch one of those back to his parking garage back near Michigan (he was having some terribly back pain at the time inhibiting his walking). We waited for one of those darn things for over 45 minutes. They are so small and cumbersome that they are highly inefficent and next to useless if there is anything more then a large family who needs to take a ride.

emathias Apr 28, 2014 9:12 PM

As much as I think it'd be cool to have the original 1968 Circulator plan (and I do think it'd be cool and really useful as development has occurred exactly the way that plan predicted in the West Loop and Streeterville/Gold Coast areas), because it seems stale to people now, and because it does have a few weaknesses, it might be better to pitch converting lower Michigan to Bus + limited local access only, extended all the way to Oak Street/LSD to the north, and as far south as Monroe (or get access to the existing busway next to the South Shore tracks) with the below-grade tunnels long planned for Monroe finally implemented. Supposedly Monroe has had ROW preserved below it for a subway of some sort, and a busway would be excellent as it would provide near-subway levels of service and clear the streets of most buses on a congested east-west route. It would also add Carol Street. Basically, by building the equivalent of about two miles of subway, you'd end up with infinitely flexible busways that would speed up bus travel, speed up car travel above them, and vastly improve the utility of transit in and through the central area.

Illinois and Grand already go below Michigan, and if you created another mile of tunnel vis-a-vis a "Lower Chicago Ave" that stretched from just west of Orleans to Fairbanks, you'd also solve some of the Chicago Avenue congestion issues. The only non-cost issue with that that I can think of is that Chicago Ave Red Line was just renovated about ten years ago and it would have to be re-designed to enable a busway to cross above the tunnels through what is now the mezzanine. But I think that in the long term it would be well worth it. Ideally, if cost were no object, running the busway under Chicago starting just west of Chicago Ave would be ideal because it would reduce dependency on the narrow Chicago Ave Bridge.

I think a reasonable estimate for all that work (excluding the idea of "Lower Chicago Ave" extending all the way to Halsted) would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 billion. But for that cost you get a vastly improved transit downtown, with "plug-ins" to bus routes arriving from the North, South and West. It would be the biggest boon to Chicago transit since, well, I don't think I'm exaggerating to say it would be second only to the construction of the Loop itself. Ideally it would be done in coordination with a real West Loop Transportation Center so that the Monroe Busway would also connect to a Clinton or Canal subway and/or busway, further enhancing routing options. If WLTC is $5 billion, adding on $2 billion more for some bus tunnels seems like almost a steal.

J_M_Tungsten Apr 30, 2014 9:49 PM

Today
New entry canopy being installed on the northeast corner of Lasalle and Division.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...46bcb761e8.jpg

MultiModal Apr 30, 2014 11:14 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,269188.story

Mayor proposes new roadway between downtown, Chinatown

ardecila May 1, 2014 1:55 AM

Looks like Phase I will improve the 18th/Wentworth intersection, providing better access to the new Ping Tom fieldhouse.

Phase II around Cermak depends on support from the state, and Phase III is still pretty vague because there's no master plan for Riverside Park yet.

Also looks like the new roadway will have buffered bike lanes. These are becoming a new CDOT standard for new construction - they did them on US-41 at South Works, Elston at Damen/Fullerton, etc.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content.../WellsWent.bmp

denizen467 May 1, 2014 6:01 AM

^ I assumed Wentworth was going to be rebuilt to the east so it flows right into and out of the Dan Ryan ramps - is that wrong? I think an efficient land usage would be for the entire length to hug the Red Line, 18th to Cermak.

ardecila May 1, 2014 11:23 AM

That's what I was expecting too, but I don't necessarily think Wells-Wentworth should just be an extended freeway offramp. If drivers want an expressway into the Loop they can stay on the Dan Ryan or take LSD.

The dogleg at Cermak will force drivers to slow down and realize they are in a city. Drivers already do this dogleg onto Clark right now at a surprisingly high speed, so I certainly wouldn't want to give them a straight shot.

emathias May 1, 2014 1:47 PM

RE: the Division/Lasalle canopies

I hope they keep the canopies black - black looks better than gold. Makes it look much more modern.

ardecila May 1, 2014 2:15 PM

All the new ones have been black. Gold was only used for the ones along State to blend with the streetscaping there.

Chi-Sky21 May 1, 2014 2:30 PM

I like that style, they should just keep using that on the entrances not that other horrible design they released a few weeks back...was that for Harrison? Either way...this 1 is better IMHO

orulz May 1, 2014 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 6560063)
^ I assumed Wentworth was going to be rebuilt to the east so it flows right into and out of the Dan Ryan ramps - is that wrong? I think an efficient land usage would be for the entire length to hug the Red Line, 18th to Cermak.

I was expecting the same as well.

The three storefront buildings between the fire station and the intersection will be torn down for the realignment. The buildings are pretty generic, ugly, and heavily modified, but they are active commercial uses. After the realignment, the fire station will hold the NW corner of the new Cermak/Wentworth intersection. So rather than vibrant commercial activity at the corner (however gaudy the buildings may be) it will basically be a dead zone.

LouisVanDerWright May 1, 2014 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orulz (Post 6560387)
I was expecting the same as well.

The three storefront buildings between the fire station and the intersection will be torn down for the realignment. The buildings are pretty generic, ugly, and heavily modified, but they are active commercial uses. After the realignment, the fire station will hold the NW corner of the new Cermak/Wentworth intersection. So rather than vibrant commercial activity at the corner (however gaudy the buildings may be) it will basically be a dead zone.

Hopefully the city's recent TOD push will hold true here as well and we see the land upzoned and sold off to a developer. Maybe the city will do the same on all the parcels (including that nasty state parking lot) and we'll get some small highrises out of it. Chinatown is bursting at the seams and I know the Chinese are looking for places to build condo buildings that will attract rich Chinese citizens looking to give their children and education in the West. This could be a perfect location for a couple of TOD highrises targeting the Chinese immigrant set. It is too bad they aren't going leave a bit wider parcels behind though.

Chi-Sky21 May 1, 2014 3:51 PM

Until the firestation is rebuilt somewhere else. Maybe have a nice plaza incorporated there with the library right at the entrance to chinatown.