SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Essex on the Park | 607 FT | 56 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225358)

Chi-Sky21 Mar 7, 2018 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8110789)
I did not expect to see that vertical, green opaque glass in between the metal columns. Very nice touch. Thanks for posting, Harry

I just noticed that too....but really don't like it. But i will reserve judgement until i see the finished product.

i_am_hydrogen Mar 7, 2018 3:38 PM

Great shots, harry! Keep em coming.

gebs Mar 7, 2018 3:55 PM

I have a feeling that this building is going to stand out more than One Grant Park, given how much it will tower over the Hilton and its neighbors. Then again, OGP will be absolutely huge, so I might be wrong. We'll see.

left of center Mar 7, 2018 10:57 PM

Great pics, Harry!

This building is really turning out to be a stunner. I can't wait to see it in its finished form!

Jibba Mar 7, 2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8079069)
The choice in glass color is sick! Absolutely love it! Makes me wish Vista kept its original green color scheme.

I was hoping this one would have a grayish-blue, reflective glass (like Legacy). It would cohere more with the form to give it a soaring, ethereal vibe. The green will weigh it down more and make it feel more slab-like, even though I find the color pleasing in isolation.

Vista, I agree, would do well with a green glass like this. It would give proper visual weight to the form and emphasize the structure and geometry so much better than a color that contrasts little with the sky.

Notyrview Mar 8, 2018 3:22 PM

I don't know i really like the green here. Those stripes looks slick - it's like 200 N Michigan in plain sight, but better imo. I'm pretty sure the Jahn tower is gonna be blueish and its right next door.

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 8, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8112416)
I don't know i really like the green here. Those stripes looks slick - it's like 200 N Michigan in plain sight, but better imo. I'm pretty sure the Jahn tower is gonna be blueish and its right next door.

Exactly what I was thinking. With the Legacy and Jahn being very blue, the green of the Essex will be a nice contrast. Having them all be blue would have been nauseating

Notyrview Mar 8, 2018 3:37 PM

^ Yep and also Roosevelt is gonna really stand out, not just bc it's so tall but it's basically charcoal grey glass in the renderings.

Jibba Mar 8, 2018 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8112416)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8112437)
Exactly what I was thinking. With the Legacy and Jahn being very blue, the green of the Essex will be a nice contrast. Having them all be blue would have been nauseating

True, but imagine the effect of three icy blue slabs that meld with the sky soaring behind the earthy, squat towers of the Michigan streetwall... :slob::uhh::D

Chi-Sky21 Mar 8, 2018 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8090769)
Feb 18

Looks like that middle stripe of opaque glass has a wrong window on the upper right spot. I guess at least there is no opaque glass on the front. I like the color of the glass but still don't like the stripes of dark glass.

Notyrview Mar 8, 2018 4:19 PM

^ go to yochicago's blog and look at pics of essex from a distance. the stripes really add to it's verticality.

BVictor1 Mar 14, 2018 2:00 PM

03/13/18

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...035310/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...035292/enhance

Context shot
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...035294/enhance

Chi-Sky21 Mar 14, 2018 2:32 PM

I still don't like the opaque windows. Why even put them there. There are no columns behind them. Waste of a view in my opinion. Even if that is the divider between rooms the wall would never be that thick. I really liked this building until those windows...they really bug me.

pilsenarch Mar 14, 2018 2:35 PM

IDK, my opinion might change when it is completed and the interior shades get installed, but it appears to me that the spandrel glass is quite a few shades too light...

Chi-Sky21 Mar 14, 2018 2:47 PM

I do not remember any renderings of this building from the side. The ones i have seen only show it from a slight angle so i never really noticed these were part of the plan for this.

Rsan09 Mar 14, 2018 2:59 PM

Behind the opaque glass there are wall partitions.

Notyrview Mar 14, 2018 3:30 PM

I really like the opaque glass. Usually these buildings have such a saran wrap effect and this helps downplay that. It also enhances the verticality of the tower on its wider side.

Bombardier Mar 14, 2018 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8119403)
I still don't like the opaque windows. Why even put them there. There are no columns behind them. Waste of a view in my opinion. Even if that is the divider between rooms the wall would never be that thick. I really liked this building until those windows...they really bug me.

The heat pumps are behind the spandrel glass along with the demising walls either between units or between the living room and bedroom.

pilsenarch Mar 14, 2018 11:22 PM

Of course I understand the functionality of what we architects usually call 'spandrel glass' whether it is in the spandrel itself, or concealing structure or HVAC, or simply reducing the amount of vision glass as a cost-saving measure (notice here that only the eastern rooms and corner rooms have floor-to-ceiling vision glass). What is unusual here is that one would typically 'paint' the back of the glass spandrels a darker color to more closely mimic the shade of the glass as it appears without any backing...

Unfortunately, I suspect that it is somewhat of a mistake since it does not necessarily appear as an intended pattern... time will tell.

left of center Mar 14, 2018 11:48 PM

Hrm. Not sure how I feel yet about the "spandrel glass". I feel that having the transparent blue glass wrapped all around the building would look better, but I'll defer judgement until the building is further along in its construction.

Either way, I am still pleased with the way its turning out. It certainly has been a surprise hit so far.