SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diagrams (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Drawings not being approved (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251206)

koops65 May 21, 2022 5:32 PM

Drawings not being approved

I have drawings that have been waiting for approval for over 3 weeks now. What is the hold-up? Did Dylan go on holidays?

La_Parca May 21, 2022 11:45 PM

Looks like we need more drawing moderators, if is possible i would like to help

Quilmeño89 May 22, 2022 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRKMRRMK (Post 9631095)
3. All Illustrators being Editors and Drawings Manager would be a Good Revolution

That would be great, but it could also be detrimental to the site's reliability, since many of them could enter false data, non-existent buildings or the like.
I think that SkyscraperPage is an important database worldwide. In many cases, it is more reliable than other sites, such as Emporis or Skyscraper Center (I know this because I found many errors or omissions on those sites that I corrected for SSP, and also, a lot of their data is taken from here, even if it was wrong). So I guess it's not advisable to grant such capabilities to any user, indiscriminately, although perhaps it could be relaxed a bit.

CCRC May 23, 2022 3:34 AM

This is also hurting the weekly drawing update Numbers
Last week we should've seen ~100

koops65 May 23, 2022 7:08 PM

My drawings were approved this morning, thanks to Matthew Dumont. :cheers:

WhipperSnapper May 24, 2022 1:22 PM

We need more editors for this to last another 20 years. I don't agree that illustrators should be also editors. We've gone through editors that copied and pasted from Emporis, forumers, etc. without double checking the validity of the data and it cause damage to accuracy.

Future editors resumes shouldn't be based on how well they draw. It should come from the building and correction forum. It doesn't take long to differentiate from the contributors copying and pasting data for requests over those that have done the research.

Quilmeño89 May 24, 2022 4:07 PM

When I registered on this site, in 2012, I did it for a reason: I found little or incorrect data in my country and decided that I had to intervene.

As for Argentina, I can assure that the information here is much more accurate than in Emporis, Skyscraper Center, Phorio or any other site, and even more accurate than other countries, because I myself checked and corrected everything using various sources, making more precise estimates (I can take hours to calculate the approximate height of a building for which there is no official data, using photos of every angle) and adding dozens of cities and hundreds of buildings that are not on the other sites (when I ventured to make buildings from other countries, such as the USA, I found errors that I also corrected). I even put the materials, style, uses and companies involved of each building I add, always trying to be as accurate as possible.

And as an illustrator, I try to make my drawings look exactly like the real thing, or as close as possible. Therefore, they usually look more like photographs than 2D drawings.
La_Parca/FacFer is also doing a great job with Argentina, providing a huge amount of drawings and data.

Still, there is a lot of work to be done, especially in the big cities, which actually have thousands of highrises. I also have to replace several of my drawings, since after a major revision I did, I have to modify the height of them.

Lastly, I have found that a lot of unchecked or wrong information is taken from SSP and used in Emporis and Skyscraper Center. That's information that I corrected at SSP, but they still have it wrong.

So, at least for Argentina, this is the most reliable database on the internet.

WhipperSnapper May 25, 2022 1:51 PM

You guessed so wrong. My name is everywhere in the database from updating construction statuses the past few years. There were buildings under construction in 2020 that were completed in 2016. It would take some doing finding a Canadian entry without it. I'm everywhere in the US, Dubai too.

Emporis has something like 20,000 high rises listed in Seoul and 13,000 in Moscow. SSP will never compete for quantity but, we can for quality.

koops65 May 28, 2022 5:25 PM

Saturday, and another 72 drawings not approved for the weekly drawing update... 8 of them are mine.

Lincolnlover2005 May 31, 2022 6:10 PM

Hah! I still have 27 drawings that have been stuck in the drawings pending approval section for 40 days and counting... everything's fine.

I T ' S A L L F I N E

Canadian 001 Jun 2, 2022 10:04 PM

So somebody Cleaned out the Pending approval Section
We just got 40+ New Drawings approved :D

koops65 Jun 3, 2022 4:10 AM

Mine were approved by Dylan...

Etesia Jun 7, 2022 2:10 AM

I don't think it's a good idea for all illustrators to be editors.
There are concerns that data can be registered indiscriminately without checking the actual content.

I joined to modify the databases in Korea and Japan. In Korea, there were many wrong data as well as construction sites at Emporis.
This is presumed to be because it takes at least a few years for local country data to be known and applied.
There are also building names and coordinates that are difficult to understand unless you are a local.
In Japan, the data were somewhat accurate, but there were many wrong names and coordinates.
I'm confident that I've spent a lot of time correcting pretty accurately since I became an editor.

In my case, I refer to the building register of the Korean government and the Japanese architectural site.