SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

rgarri4 Mar 28, 2018 12:46 PM

Great news! 2 towers!

Steely Dan Mar 28, 2018 1:29 PM

Thanks for the insider info, bvic!




Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135507)
^^^^I'll just give you one more tickler... It's not SHoP

Is it BIG, as originally speculated back when we started this thread 2.5 years ago?

10023 Mar 28, 2018 2:50 PM

Terracotta could be interesting. Used in conjunction with modern design, or designed as a retro throwback, I wonder.

Is there anything else that could mean?

Bombardier Mar 28, 2018 2:53 PM

^^ Not BIG. Think local, and recognizable for this type of job.

XIII Mar 28, 2018 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135655)
^^ Not BIG. Think local, and recognizable for this type of job.

Please be Antunovich!

:haha:

gebs Mar 28, 2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135655)
^^ Not BIG. Think local, and recognizable for this type of job.

Local firm recognizable for tall residential towers? Studio Gang?

Farther down that list: bKL, SCB, Lagrange?

spyguy Mar 28, 2018 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIII (Post 8135664)
Please be Antunovich!

:haha:

Perhaps in collaboration with Lucien Lagrange? I'm looking forward to the first megatall with a mansard roof :cheers:

2PRUROCKS! Mar 28, 2018 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8135655)
^^ Not BIG. Think local, and recognizable for this type of job.

1st guess Smith+Gill
2nd SOM
3rd Juan
4th Gang
5th P&W
Not crazy about 2 towers for this site but will have to see the design. Terra cotta has been used recently in various paneling systems for cladding so I am not sure that would cut the 100 year remark.

gebs Mar 28, 2018 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! (Post 8135685)
1st guess Smith+Gill
2nd SOM
3rd Juan
4th Gang
5th P&W
Not crazy about 2 towers for this site but will have to see the design. Terra cotta has been used recently in various paneling systems for cladding so I am not sure that would cut the 100 year remark.

Smith/Gill and SOM are good guesses, given that Related hired former SOM-architect Mike Pfeffer not too long ago.

Notyrview Mar 28, 2018 3:46 PM

Wood. Related is going to yet slash costs more by building the first wooden supertall + mansard roof made of clay.

HomrQT Mar 28, 2018 5:09 PM

Super exciting news. Two towers does seem reasonable for the site (though I'd prefer one giant monster tower). If the main tower could still be 2000+ feet that would be fantastic.

https://i.imgur.com/DtKGWKg.jpg

BraveNewWorld Mar 28, 2018 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8135673)
Perhaps in collaboration with Lucien Lagrange? I'm looking forward to the first megatall with a mansard roof :cheers:

Can you imagine the nightmare that’d be? 😂

My guess is SOM for this and like 1,272 feet. Thought if it’s terra cotta I’m not totally sure I could see them doing that.

Kngkyle Mar 28, 2018 5:48 PM

Hope for something that can punch through our growing 1150 ft roof height plateau.

Freefall Mar 28, 2018 7:11 PM

Might as well make it 1,451

"If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big" - POTUS' ghost writer

r18tdi Mar 28, 2018 7:51 PM

I was really hoping for BIG or ZHA. But SOM/AS+GG are certainly up to the task.

left of center Mar 28, 2018 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8135874)
Super exciting news. Two towers does seem reasonable for the site (though I'd prefer one giant monster tower). If the main tower could still be 2000+ feet that would be fantastic.

I was never a fan of a 2000 ft tower at this location. From the lake, and Navy Pier, it would totally overpower the skyline. Chicago's skyline is all about balance. Something between 1200 and 1500 ft would be dope though. Two towers in that height range would be insane.

Kngkyle Mar 28, 2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8136234)
I was never a fan of a 2000 ft tower at this location. From the lake, and Navy Pier, it would totally overpower the skyline.

So did every building that has ever broken a height record. The Empire State Building in New York. The Sears Tower in Chicago. If 'overpowering the skyline' was a valid argument then we would have no skyscrapers today. Why this argument is still propagated around here bewilders me.

rgarri4 Mar 28, 2018 11:30 PM

From the lake and Navy Pier this site lands somewhat in the center of the skyline so I'm not seeing how a tall tower here would unbalance the skyline. It would be the high point of the mountain of towes.

And terracotta hasn't been used in 100 years? That can't be right.

230Roberto Mar 28, 2018 11:57 PM

For me anything below 1500ft for this site is disappointing. This is one of the most valuable sites in the U.S. And the only chance for Chicago to have a 1500 footer for the next decade or 2

Steely Dan Mar 29, 2018 12:53 AM

^ then in that case set your phaser to disappointment.

I'll be very surprised if related goes north of 1,500' here.

Afterall, we're talking about Related. R - E - L - A - T - E - D.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.