SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

UPChicago Feb 13, 2017 7:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeAgain (Post 7710192)
Adrian Thompson Center? At that point, you may as well as for them to just out the Chicago Spire on top of the Gateway Tower. It ain't happening.

I mean neither is the gateway tower yet here we are....

TimeAgain Feb 13, 2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7710233)
I mean neither is the gateway tower yet here we are....

:(

Damn it.

ChiHi Feb 13, 2017 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7709648)
Feb 6

Those pinetrees are looking nice. In another 10 years they should be big enough to block the view of that big hole in the ground that will probably still be there.....

Steely Dan Feb 13, 2017 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 7709677)
I agree, but what's being worked on now isn't anywhere close to that on Magellans's site... think 900' at most (probably less)

have you seen schematics for what's being planned for magellan's remaining LSE sites along LSD?

i know you probably can't divulge much more than you already have, but is there cause to be cautiously optimistic about the architecture?

Skyguy_7 Feb 13, 2017 5:12 PM

^ In other words, bark twice if Jean Nouvel or Lord Norman Foster is on the table. :tup:

pilsenarch Feb 13, 2017 7:23 PM

Just chatted about it at this point and seen some very preliminary massing...

LouisVanDerWright Feb 13, 2017 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 7709910)
Plot twist: Gensler's Gateway Tower is Related's proposal for the site

Not to worry, FOTParking Lots will sue to block the intrusion of the one leg on DuSable Park and we will get a 2000' echo deco shitbox instead.

Ike Beaard Feb 13, 2017 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 7710642)
Just chatted about it at this point and seen some very preliminary massing...

anything that the massing you've seen is similar to?

Kippis Feb 14, 2017 2:21 PM

Why did Gensler even bother to have a company-wide competition for this site and then release renderings of the winning submission? It's not like every day architecture enthusiasts are going to have heart palpitations over the designs or anything, right?!

Either way, now I want nothing less than this "fantasy" design. It's even leagues more impressive than Calatrava's design. But this is Related, so hold on to your butts...500-700 ft. cluster stumps are on the way!

KWILLSKYLINE Feb 14, 2017 2:32 PM

No way^^^ I could see Magellan keeping theirs under 900' but I dont think Related is stupid enough to keep the spire site anything less than Vista.

UPChicago Feb 16, 2017 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7709501)
Saw this on SSC there was no reference to who created it but I thought I should share it here.

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...8425ab79ee.jpg

Look at the photo http://tmrw.se
http://tmrw.se/wp-content/uploads/20...Darknights.jpg

LouisVanDerWright Feb 16, 2017 2:44 AM

Geeze they are putting an awful lot of time into this. Someone must be bored. Don't renderings like that usually cost a few bucks? I guess it's good advertising in hopes of landing a commission from Related. The question being weren't we supposed to hear something in the first half of this year about the new project for this site? Wonder if Related solicited visionary proposals in a little mini competition. Perhaps this was Gensler's submission?

munchymunch Feb 16, 2017 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7713811)
Geeze they are putting an awful lot of time into this. Someone must be bored. Don't renderings like that usually cost a few bucks? I guess it's good advertising in hopes of landing a commission from Related. The question being weren't we supposed to hear something in the first half of this year about the new project for this site? Wonder if Related solicited visionary proposals in a little mini competition. Perhaps this was Gensler's submission?

Chinese companies need to see what companies can do before plopping a few megatalls around China. Seems to me like a worthy investment.

UPChicago Feb 16, 2017 3:16 AM

Seems like a Swedish poster on SSC trying to build a portfolio, maybe someone with an account over there can ask him to do a "future Chicago" rendering.
LINK HERE

SolarWind Feb 23, 2017 2:51 AM

February 22, 2017

I noticed a couple of changes since Harry's Feb 6 picture. It looks like wires are stretched across the hole and a bunch of ribbon tape is strewn across the site. Two trucks are visible in the upper left hand portion of the picture.

Notyrview Feb 23, 2017 5:35 PM

Related, please, we implore not to value engineer this. Please please please raise the bar and do something noteworthy for the city that's been so good to your bottom line.

maru2501 Feb 23, 2017 7:02 PM

man, that rendering is so sick

Mr Saturn64 Feb 24, 2017 1:20 AM

The Gateway Tower (seen in post 268) is magnificent, isn't it? A centrally located tower looming hundreds of feet over the other skyscrapers, occupying a front seat at Lake Michigan. It's such a wonderful vision, as the Chicago Spire once was. But now it's just a pit in the ground, sitting endlessly as time goes on. That's sad.

HomrQT Feb 24, 2017 4:58 AM

Chicago has been looking forward to this site redefining our skyline for 12 years. Hopefully the wait is worth the payoff. As far as our place in the "tallest buildings in the world" department, we're getting edged out of even being in the top 15 since apparently post design antennas don't count for whatever bs reason.

jon2379 Feb 24, 2017 5:12 AM

my gut feeling is the next recession will be whenever they start building on this site again lol