SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | The Carson @ 501 Spring Garden Street | 153 FT | 13 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241878)

TonyTone Apr 19, 2023 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin7 (Post 9921299)
^ "Soon" doesn't mean much for a rental.

Let me explain what I meant.

Spring Garden is one of the cities best strips, its up there on quality of life & looks. Majority of the empty lots are planned or currently under construction.

This block specifically is next to multiple, new developments, restaurants, a target, heavy rail transit, a highway, a river front & more. Do you really expect rents to be low?

Spring Garden in the next couple years will be one of the cities best destination strip. If it continues to grow like this we might see the return of the trolley heavy rail.

Jawnadelphia Apr 19, 2023 11:34 AM

My only desire for Spring Garden, is one day the street having a lot trees, and greenery. Perhaps with all the high-end development, trendy restaurants and breweries, etc. that finally becomes a reality. Maybe take out a lane of traffic, and make a center median/row of greenery. I recall something was once planned for this, years ago. The street is named “Spring Garden” after all!

jaysb Apr 19, 2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia (Post 9922473)
My only desire for Spring Garden, is one day the street having a lot trees, and greenery. Perhaps with all the high-end development, trendy restaurants and breweries, etc. that finally becomes a reality. Maybe take out a lane of traffic, and make a center median/row of greenery. I recall something was once planned for this, years ago. The street is named “Spring Garden” after all!

Yes, the Spring Garden Greenway:
https://pecpa.org/wp-content/uploads...t-Greenway.pdf

Been floated for 10+ years.

There was a little bit of movement on it last year bu don't hold your breath:

https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...rden-greenway/

BroadandMarket Apr 19, 2023 2:21 PM

The median east of Broad is mostly terrible but especially around 11th and Spring Garden. Lots of sad broken concrete with empty trash filled tree pits. That whole area is quite dirty. I wish Septa would look at reopening the 12th and Spring Garden Broad-Ridge spur stop as well. Further down around 3rd and Spring Garden the median is always covered with federal vehicles parked which obviously shouldn't be allowed. They have a parking garage and bit surface lot, I'm sure it's just laziness.

The Spring Garden greenway plan is awesome but like you said, it's not happening anytime soon so maybe a business improvement district can just clean up and landscape what they have. Wrought iron planter boxes, nicer lighting and street trees would help a lot. New York and Chicago have these everywhere but Philadelphia can't even figure it out on Broad.

PurpleWhiteOut Apr 19, 2023 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTone (Post 9922446)
Spring Garden is one of the cities best strips, its up there on quality of life & looks. .

Huh? Are we talking about the same spring garden st? I've always found it to be one of the worst arteries from an aesthetic and pedestrian standpoint.

Anyway, yeah, the equivalent rent can get you a decent to nice place in a significantly nicer neighborhood, but that's their rental biz, not mine. I definitely wish them luck. It still looks like a mid-tier office building to me, but at least it's basically finished

chimpskibot Apr 19, 2023 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut (Post 9922671)
Huh? Are we talking about the same spring garden st? I've always found it to be one of the worst arteries from an aesthetic and pedestrian standpoint.

Anyway, yeah, the equivalent rent can get you a decent to nice place in a significantly nicer neighborhood, but that's their rental biz, not mine. I definitely wish them luck. It still looks like a mid-tier office building to me, but at least it's basically finished

This building is 10min from the train, heart of NoLibs, Old City and if you cross the spring garden Viaduct you have multiple music vanues, art galleries and bars/breweries. As the area builds up it will be much more lively and vibrant. There are two other mid rises within 500 feet of this building. I also think if they can cancel Amazons lease and get another grocery anchor it will lease up insanely fast.

nemesisinphilly Apr 19, 2023 7:50 PM

Priced too high in my opinion. Cheapest 2 Bed at the Piazza I believe is $3750 and that is a much better location with more and better amenities.

philly_account12 Apr 19, 2023 8:29 PM

Quote:

It doesn't seem like we are. I can't think of a single artery north of Vine that has Spring Garden beat on those criteria.

Quote:

Where exactly are these neighborhoods that are significantly nicer than Northern Liberties? You're talking about one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city....

PurpleWhiteOut Apr 19, 2023 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philly_account12 (Post 9923046)
It doesn't seem like we are. I can't think of a single artery north of Vine that has Spring Garden beat on those criteria.

Where exactly are these neighborhoods that are significantly nicer than Northern Liberties? You're talking about one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city....

To me this is more in the Poplar/highway/warehouse sprawl. I wouldn't consider it near enough to the positives of NoLibs personally.

I mean it's not like I have a problem with someone who wants to pay for whatever they want, wherever they want. Different strokes I guess.

philly_account12 Apr 19, 2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut (Post 9923136)
To me this is more in the Poplar/highway/warehouse sprawl. I wouldn't consider it near enough to the positives of NoLibs personally.

In person that block feels very disconnected from Poplar & the areas you're talking about. This building is the end cap of a commercial corridor on SG that stretches from 2nd to 6th which is very much a part of NoLibs.

It seems like the people shocked by the pricing haven't spent much time in this part of the city. When the building across from Silk City finishes up the rents there are probably going to be higher than this building.

TonyTone Apr 20, 2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Let's be real, a couple of weeds, and sidewalk aesthetics that are in works to be redone soon is very low on the quality of life totem pole, some of the best neighborhoods in the city have terrible sidewalks.

The fact of the matter is Spring Garden West of Broad is 100% one of the best areas, and strips in the city its on NYC level, and not to mention pretty much all lots are being rebuilt or currently in plan to be rebuilt.

Spring Garden East of Broad is a mix between Yimby, and Young Professionals, and the Philly city fabric.

Girard isn't even close, and it has a light rail line running on it.

When I was looking for places 2 years ago my top picks were

1.Spring Garden
2.Port Richmond
3.S. Philly
4.Center City
5.Broad St

It's 100% a lit strip.

El Duderino Jun 5, 2023 7:27 PM

Some updates on the amenity spaces and a vague statement regarding the potential grocery store:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtHFq0igp4m/

chimpskibot Jun 5, 2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino (Post 9961313)
Some updates on the amenity spaces and a vague statement regarding the potential grocery store:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtHFq0igp4m/

I think OCF is trying to be toung-in-cheek because that Amazon Fresh will likely never open up, but Amazon is honoring their lease.

Redddog Jun 6, 2023 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpskibot (Post 9961463)
I think OCF is trying to be toung-in-cheek because that Amazon Fresh will likely never open up, but Amazon is honoring their lease.

In fairness, Amazon screwed the neighborhood by pulling out, not The Carson.

UrbanRevival Jun 6, 2023 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 9961884)

Jeffrey should be on everyone's ****list. From the Amazon HQ "sweepstakes" BS to the bait-and-switch for their store leases, he's not exactly businessman of the year.

chimpskibot Jun 6, 2023 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 9961884)

I don’t think so. Although this will deactivate the nw corner of the block, there are three large grocery stores within a half mile of this project.

Redddog Jun 6, 2023 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimpskibot (Post 9961993)
I don’t think so. Although this will deactivate the nw corner of the block, there are three large grocery stores within a half mile of this project.

Gimme a Trader Joes and all will be forgiven. I'll think about it for a Whole Foods.

Jawnadelphia Jun 12, 2023 10:18 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a62307c1_b.jpg

^Still amazed how much this area has changed over the 6-7 years. Also, that gigantic development at 6th and Fairmount is flying now.

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...new-ownership/

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...5th-fairmount/

SEFTA Jun 13, 2023 11:47 AM

What's amazing is the major public housing that's there and still didn't inhibit development, as they often do.

badthingshappen Jun 13, 2023 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEFTA (Post 9967626)
What's amazing is the major public housing that's there and still didn't inhibit development, as they often do.

Like half of it got taken down for the stuff they're building between 6th and 7th, I wouldn't be surprised if there are plans for the rest of it.