SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

Zapatan Dec 1, 2018 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8396202)
I'm not obsessed, I was just confused since the render does not look like 950 ft.

Right, read my post right under OhioGuys'

I don't understand what's confusing.

tdawg Dec 1, 2018 6:43 PM

This does resemble a glassy 30 Rock, and that is not a bad thing.

RedCorsair87 Dec 1, 2018 7:47 PM

Does anyone know if we are getting the same fins as WPE on this one?

BonoboZill4 Dec 1, 2018 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8396202)
I'm not obsessed, I was just confused since the render does not look like 950 ft.

Because it isn't 950 feet tall...

BonoboZill4 Dec 1, 2018 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8396192)
Right, it makes sense from an economics standpoint but makes me wonder whether Chi-town would ever see a supertall office tower again (not that the city is lacking or anything).

This whole thread is a non stop obsession with the height, naturally.

Well, since the 70s there have been zero supertall office buildings built in the city(and no I'm not counting Pru2 or the Franklin Center since they reach it by 100+ foot spikes), so it's definitely possible no more are built, but I'm not worried. It seems like some of the best designed supertalls over the last 10 years have mostly been residential, outside of China that is.

spyguy Dec 2, 2018 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8346107)
https://i.imgur.com/ZtVDheK.jpg
Don't recall seeing this angle with the crown lit before. Although if it has all been redesigned for Salesforce...

https://i.imgur.com/kF3Gdu8.jpg?1

They could certainly do more with the crown. Would solve this height debate question and I think make the proportions a little better.

toddguy Dec 2, 2018 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8396215)
I wonder how Jarta's feeling about all of this...

LOL! I remember him.

This looks really good in those renders looking west with the crown lit-they need to do that.

Steely Dan Dec 2, 2018 5:55 PM

* posts deleted *

We're going let the stupidity cool off a bit here.....

Flaccer05 Jan 9, 2019 1:35 AM

Chicago Plan Commission Jan 24th Agenda:

"An informational presentation to the Chicago Plan Commission, on a request for site plan approval submitted by WPO South, LLC and Hines Interests Limited Partnership, for the property generally located at 333 West Wolf Point Plaza. The site is currently zoned Planned Development No. 98. The applicant proposes to construct an 815’tall, 1,500,000 square foot office tower and up to 400 accessory, vehicular parking spaces. No other change is being requested to Planned Development No. 98. (42nd Ward)"

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...019-agenda.pdf

Skyguy_7 Jan 9, 2019 1:20 PM

^ Thanks for sharing. Great to see they're so serious about this one.

Before anyone or Zapatan flips out with his height concerns, "no other change" leads me to believe it's still 844' to top of crown.

BVictor1 Jan 9, 2019 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8430574)
^ Thanks for sharing. Great to see they're so serious about this one.

Before anyone or Zapatan flips out with his height concerns, "no other change" leads me to believe it's still 844' to top of crown.

Meh... mediocrity reigns supreme. If Salesforce pulled out tomorrow and this tower died I'd be happy.

intrepidDesign Jan 9, 2019 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8430728)
Meh... mediocrity reigns supreme. If Salesforce pulled out tomorrow and this tower died I'd be happy.

I totally agree. This is the best parcel in the entire city and it deserves better than this. I'm happy with WPE and WPW, and if this lot sat vacant till the next cycle and we got a fresh round of designs I'd be ok with that. I'm honestly a little shocked that they haven't gotten more creative with this building. I know the hotel market is probably oversaturated but they should have never nixed the original mixed use format. Office/hotel/condo is what should be here, not an advertising play by Salesforce that nets Chicago with a 815" tower (did I read that right???) and a derivative design.

the urban politician Jan 9, 2019 5:39 PM

^ The nice think about building on "the best parcel in the city" is that you always create a new "best parcel in the city".

maru2501 Jan 9, 2019 5:46 PM

access was always going to hamper it a little but yeah. and the places where you can make a strong argument for even a 1500-foot mixed-use building are dwindling

trib site is one of those, but who knows if that goes this cycle or ever

intrepidDesign Jan 9, 2019 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8430842)
^ The nice think about building on "the best parcel in the city" is that you always create a new "best parcel in the city".

Yeah but point to another parcel that is at the confluence of 3 rivers and on a slight peninsula. There are none. IMHO this is THE best parcel in the city, if it's built on, will here be other land that's desirable, of course, but it will be the next best thing to this land.

BVictor1 Jan 9, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8430842)

You're not going to create another 'best parcel' on the main branch.

nomarandlee Jan 9, 2019 6:53 PM

Quote:

Have to say I agree. There a few critical points in Chicago's geography where the location calls for an iconic tower, either by design or height or both. While solid it doesn't stand out in either case, as of yet.

We got sold short on the conspicuous River Point location, I'd rather not see the same happen here.

Donnie77 Jan 9, 2019 11:05 PM

As much as we all would like to see a 900+ it's still going to complete a trio of near 800 footers that balance that area beautifully!

SamInTheLoop Jan 10, 2019 3:13 PM

Quote:

Really disagree. The architecture at Wolf Point is turning out to be top-notch all-around.

Height figures: Much less important.

Steely Dan Jan 10, 2019 3:35 PM

* MODERATOR NOTE *

i move the off-topic discussion to the general discussion thread: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=208431