SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

sopas ej Jul 16, 2018 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 8251886)
Loeffler's Barber Shop was at 106½ E. Broadway in Glendale.

You mean it was in that town with its dollar days and its women that wear uniforms and its men that wear overalls??

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5Hd15nSDZrM/hqdefault.jpg
Mildred Pierce Youtube

CityBoyDoug Jul 16, 2018 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8251982)
:previous:

"(You need a lift) more at 10, 2 and 4" (note clock face)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pc...3=w334-h570-no
drpeppermuseumfiles


...............................................................................................


I thought the time switches were to control the street lamps (?)


http://images.slideplayer.com/24/701...es/slide_2.jpg https://media1.tenor.com/images/2d12...itemid=3298802
http://images.slideplayer.com/24/701...es/slide_2.jpg

Dr. Pepper at 10 AM? I guess I'll start having it with my oatmeal for late breakfasts.

CityBoyDoug Jul 16, 2018 4:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8252038)

I guess some had brakes and some did not.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dcN5NlFDO...00/soapbox.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-/soapbox.jpg

Hollywood Graham Jul 16, 2018 5:01 AM

Time Switch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8251945)
Welcome and tx for the post - what was a time switch?

The cast iron box on a pedestal labeled TIME SWITCH is what controled the street lights in neighborhoods. The box was made by Keystone Iron works for the B.P.L. (Bureau of Power and Light), City of L.A.. B.P.L. was forerunner of D.W.P.. Keystone also had another version of that box with a Fire Alarm door on one side and a Police Telephone door on the other side. I am fortunate to have both in my collection.

Lorendoc Jul 16, 2018 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8251951)
I thought it would be a fun challange to try and figure out the ad that appears below the Dr. Pepper sign.

but instead of "enjoy that flavor" it says something else.

https://imageshack.com/i/pnXvW98ij

__

It looks like "More at" - then the clock 10/2/4 thing.

tovangar2 Jul 16, 2018 3:28 PM

10-2-4
 
:previous:

Apparently the Dr Pepper "10-2-4" slogan lasted for close to 50 years, from the 20s to the 70s:

"...sometime in the 1920’s researchers were starting to understand that sugar provided energy to the body. They concluded that the body’s natural rhythms meant that our daily energy “low points” were at 10:30 (2 hours after breakfast), 2:30 (2 hours after lunch) and 4:30 (time for a nap).

So Dr Pepper suggested that you have one of their fine beverages at 10, 2 and 4 to combat your energy lags with a hit of sugar. It became part of an ad campaign and made it to the packaging as well."
-quora

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7P...G=w483-h398-no
drpeppermuseum

ethereal_reality Jul 16, 2018 8:13 PM

home of the Dr. Pepper ghost sign?
 
Los Angeles Public Library has this labeled as the Los Feliz Produce Market. --but it clearly say's MYER's. Was there a name change :shrug: or is this simple mislabeled?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/97hNJF.jpg
LAPL

There are a couple of nice lookin' tomatoes over there on the right. ;) -------->


_

ethereal_reality Jul 16, 2018 8:40 PM

speaking of tomatoes.



Tomato patch, West Hollywood [c.1905]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/vkuSOc.jpg
LAPL




Remind me again whose house this is? (I should know)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Ve6gMb.jpg
DETAIL

I wonder if they're the owners of the tomato crop?
_______________________________________________






update:

To be fair I should also point out this other nice looking home.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/KasT7d.jpg
DETAIL

ethereal_reality Jul 16, 2018 9:25 PM

recently found on ebay.

154 & 156 So. Orange Dr. Los Angeles CA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/B9hnZE.jpg
EBAY


the address is written on the back

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/cYthyM.jpg





Here's how it appears today.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/C3drAK.jpg
GSV

built 1925

_

Lorendoc Jul 16, 2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8252799)
speaking of tomatoes.



Tomato patch, West Hollywood [c.1905]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/vkuSOc.jpg
LAPL




Remind me again whose house this is? (I should know)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Ve6gMb.jpg
DETAIL

I wonder if they're the owners of the tomato crop?
_______________________________________________






update:

To be fair I should also point out this other nice looking home.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/KasT7d.jpg
DETAIL

Charles Harper

Martin Pal Jul 16, 2018 11:50 PM

.
This is something I didn't know about the El Capitan / Hollywood Palace Theatre (now the Avalon) on Vine Street.

It was once leased by NBC for the west coast home of “The Colgate Comedy Hour”.

NBC’s El Capitan Theater.

http://eyesofageneration.com/wp-cont...TV-904x510.jpgLink


Here's a photo of Martin & Lewis taken at a rehearsal at the El Capitan for the March 23, 1952, episode.
It's a sketch called "The Photographer."

http://eyesofageneration.com/wp-cont...17/03/test.jpgLink


You can see this sketch below, at 6:47, from Season 2, Episode 30:

(The numbering system on the video is the person's numbering for his youtube posts.)

Video Link



Six months later, this was the location that Vice-Presidential candidate Richard Nixon gave his famous
"Checkers" speech on September 23, 1952, during the Presidential campaign!

The campaign arranged to use the El Capitan Theatre, in Hollywood, where several NBC variety shows were then broadcast, since its lighting was superior to that of NBC Studios. [...] The El Capitan Theatre, at Nixon's insistence, was entirely deserted. Press members were confined to a nearby room, where they could watch on television; stenographers were standing by at the Ambassador Hotel to ensure an accurate transcript of Nixon's remarks for the press. Aides Chotiner and Rogers would watch from behind a screen in the theatre; Pat Nixon, wearing a dress knitted by supporters, would sit on stage a few feet from her husband. The chosen set was a "GI bedroom den" with a desk, two chairs, and bookshelves. The senator usually preferred to work from a memorized text, but would work from notes for this speech to make the talk sound more spontaneous. Nixon spent some time practicing movements for the cameramen and finally went into the dressing room with his wife for a few minutes of solitude. He told her that he did not think he could go through with it, but she reassured him. Wiki

http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-cont...ding-2-300.jpgBoston Globe


In March of 1953, NBC aired a special 100th episode of the Colgate Comedy Hour.

Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, Eddie Cantor and Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis appeared on the telecast. They were all revolving hosts of the weekly show at the time, along with Bob Hope and Donald O'Connor who appeared from New York City. The following is some great home movie footage of the Hollywood talent, arriving for rehearsals at the El Capitan.

Video Link

ethereal_reality Jul 17, 2018 1:29 AM

This is pretty amazing.

"Rare Original Slide Color 1930's Los Angeles Hollywood Theater"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/zWPHEf.jpg
EBAY




A closer look at this rare color slide.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/cMCeeg.jpg
EBAY

sopas ej Jul 17, 2018 3:36 AM

:previous:

WOW, a color image of the Pantages, pre-Frolic Room! Great find, e_r!

unihikid Jul 17, 2018 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8253194)
:previous:

WOW, a color image of the Pantages, pre-Frolic Room! Great find, e_r!

wasn't there some talk about adding additional floors to it? something to the matter that Pantages lost his fortune during the stock market crash and that's why they never built the additional floors. Maybe i read it here?

Silver Ed Jul 17, 2018 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8252769)
Los Angeles Public Library has this labeled as the Los Feliz Produce Market. --but it clearly say's MYER's. Was there a name change :shrug: or is this simple mislabeled?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/97hNJF.jpg
LAPL

There are a couple of nice lookin' tomatoes over there on the right. ;) -------->


_

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/919/4...039396a2_b.jpg
TESSA Digital Collections of the Los Angeles Public Library
http://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/ref/collec...otos/id/105612


It might be the same Los Feliz Produce Market. There's other signs, from left to right: ? :sly: ? (unreadable) Meat Market, Day and Night Grocers, Bakery Goods, and Martin's Delicatessen. The meat market sign is very illegible. Zooming in didn't help much. Where I've marked the red arrow might be the site of the MYER'S sign.

Though, the library does has it categorized under Glendale, CA instead of within LA's city limits :shrug:

Silver Ed Jul 17, 2018 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 8251945)
Welcome and tx for the post - what was a time switch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham (Post 8252173)
The cast iron box on a pedestal labeled TIME SWITCH is what controled the street lights in neighborhoods. The box was made by Keystone Iron works for the B.P.L. (Bureau of Power and Light), City of L.A.. B.P.L. was forerunner of D.W.P.. Keystone also had another version of that box with a Fire Alarm door on one side and a Police Telephone door on the other side. I am fortunate to have both in my collection.

Thanks Lorendoc!

Just like Hollywood Graham mentioned, the time switch was used for street lighting. I found a video on YouTube where their restoration and history is talked about.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/840/4...2039c7a330.jpg
YouTube/WestlakeSig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evkFBupExL0

odinthor Jul 17, 2018 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8252769)
Los Angeles Public Library has this labeled as the Los Feliz Produce Market. --but it clearly say's MYER's. Was there a name change :shrug: or is this simple mislabeled?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/97hNJF.jpg
LAPL

There are a couple of nice lookin' tomatoes over there on the right. ;) -------->


_

Just guessin': Maybe the major lessee (or owner?) was the Los Feliz Produce Market, but the LFPM sublet stalls to the others...? :shrug:

sopas ej Jul 17, 2018 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Ed (Post 8253291)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/919/4...039396a2_b.jpg
TESSA Digital Collections of the Los Angeles Public Library
http://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/ref/collec...otos/id/105612


It might be the same Los Feliz Produce Market. There's other signs, from left to right: ? :sly: ? (unreadable) Meat Market, Day and Night Grocers, Bakery Goods, and Martin's Delicatessen. The meat market sign is very illegible. Zooming in didn't help much. Where I've marked the red arrow might be the site of the MYER'S sign.

Though, the library does has it categorized under Glendale, CA instead of within LA's city limits :shrug:

Maybe it was *ON* Los Feliz, as in Los Feliz Blvd., in Glendale, hence the name?

Never mind, you answered that in your post on the last page. My bad!

GaylordWilshire Jul 17, 2018 7:51 PM

:previous:


https://s22.postimg.cc/oyfdqud41/Los_Feliz_Mkt.bmp.jpg
LAT Nov 11, 1942


Found this...but now see that it seems to be a reference to another Los Feliz Market, perhaps a successor....

https://s22.postimg.cc/u26nezbch/LFMcompl.png
LAT Dec 12, 1982

ethereal_reality Jul 17, 2018 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Ed (Post 8253291)
It might be the same Los Feliz Produce Market. There's other signs, from left to right: ? :sly: ? (unreadable) Meat Market, Day and Night Grocers, Bakery Goods, and Martin's Delicatessen.

I would say you're entirely correct Silver Ed.
The 'bays' appear to be rented to various vendors. And they're all under the umbrella of "Los Feliz Produce Market".

Alot of the time I pick up on small clues but miss much larger ones that are staring me in the face. I don't know why that is.:shrug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.