SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 195 N Columbus (LSE) | 502 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213523)

Chicago_Forever Jan 9, 2021 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9154021)
hah you beat me to it. I'll go ahead and post the pics shown in the e-mail:

view from NE:
https://files.constantcontact.com/5a...7b168bb761.png

view from NW:
https://files.constantcontact.com/5a...f1de7c7c05.png

I think this is a slightly better design despite the reduction in height and it still being another blue glass box. Then again, this was always a filler that no one was going to see. I do wish they would have gotten rid of that little kickstand on the side altogether, ugh. Hopefully this means an increase for site I...highly doubtful.

left of center Jan 10, 2021 4:11 AM

Eyeballing it, looks like it has dropped to about 46 floors (from the Columbus side) from the original 54. Assuming the floor to height ratios remain about the same, the building will drop by about 100' to roughly 550' which isn't too bad, because:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 9154396)
Changes here allow for more wiggle room for Site-I.

Magellan should be able to shift more density (and therefor height) to Parcel I because (IIRC) LSE's PD was allowed a total amount of units as a whole, and the developer can shift them around between buildings. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SIGSEGV Jan 10, 2021 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever (Post 9154814)
I think this is a slightly better design despite the reduction in height and it still being another blue glass box. Then again, this was always a filler that no one was going to see. I do wish they would have gotten rid of that little kickstand on the side altogether, ugh. Hopefully this means an increase for site I...highly doubtful.

The kickstand looks dumb, but I do like the street frontage on Columbus.

ardecila Jan 10, 2021 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9155163)
Magellan should be able to shift more density (and therefor height) to Parcel I because (IIRC) LSE's PD was allowed a total amount of units as a whole, and the developer can shift them around between buildings. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically. Magellan's revisions to the PD up until now have been swaps - they reduced the number of hotel rooms and eliminated any office component, and in both cases they were able to get additional residential density in return. The theory here is that the overall "intensity" of development is the same as what was originally envisioned in the late 90s when the PD was first approved, even though the specific mix of uses has changed.

After Site O and Cirrus/Cascade are built, Site I is Magellan's last real bite at the apple, their last chance to use up the remaining development rights in Lakeshore East (except for the small parcel at the corner of the park, which was in theory meant for a new CPS school).

Zapatan Jan 11, 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Eyeballing it, looks like it has dropped to about 46 floors (from the Columbus side) from the original 54. Assuming the floor to height ratios remain about the same, the building will drop by about 100' to roughly 550' which isn't too bad, because:
Yea I get the same (not sure if they count the 13th though), 550' is a nice filler and the design has grown on me a bit (I like the fins at the top).

Quote:

After Site O and Cirrus/Cascade are built, Site I is Magellan's last real bite at the apple, their last chance to use up the remaining development rights in Lakeshore East (except for the small parcel at the corner of the park, which was in theory meant for a new CPS school).
The thought of an 1000+ foot Parcel I Tower is incredibly exciting and I would gladly shave 100 feet off this one for that. Not sure if it'll definitely happen but it seems like it could.

Bonsai Tree Jan 11, 2021 11:56 PM

^^Like ardecila said, Site I will be the last opportunity for Magellan to use up their remaining development rights. The small corner parcel where the cps school was supposed to go is too small for any sizable structure. Personally, I'd say there is 0 chance Site I starts anytime soon (even though that was the original developer timeline after cirrus and cascade). I think Magellan will wait a while and then start construction on a supertall on the site that uses up their remaining residential units. I'm also expecting a redesign of the structure, although that's just all speculation. I'm guessing it'll be years before Site I breaks ground, it'll be the very last thing Magellan does.

chris08876 Jan 12, 2021 2:18 AM

I like the older design. Eh... I'm just not feeling it. IDK if its the quasi-wavy nature of it but doesn't settle in. Just kind of seems like a lackluster design, with minimal thought into it.

Zapatan Jan 12, 2021 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree (Post 9156754)
^^Like ardecila said, Site I will be the last opportunity for Magellan to use up their remaining development rights. The small corner parcel where the cps school was supposed to go is too small for any sizable structure. Personally, I'd say there is 0 chance Site I starts anytime soon (even though that was the original developer timeline after cirrus and cascade). I think Magellan will wait a while and then start construction on a supertall on the site that uses up their remaining residential units. I'm also expecting a redesign of the structure, although that's just all speculation. I'm guessing it'll be years before Site I breaks ground, it'll be the very last thing Magellan does.

I wasn't implying that it would start anytime soon, but when/if it does get built and it's 100 feet higher that'd be perfect for its location.

chicubs111 Jan 12, 2021 2:58 AM

The revised plan also includes three floors of co-working space and about 9,000 square feet of retail space, according to the alderman’s update. The height of the tower has been cut by about 43 feet, to 502 feet, according to Magellan. The building is losing five stories, down to a proposed 47 stories.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...aym-story.html

aaron38 Jan 12, 2021 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9154038)
here are the old renderings so people don't have to click back to see 'em:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/BlzY...Parcel_O_3.jpg

Quote:

As a longtime fan of LSE, I vastly prefer the new design. Standing there in the park looking up, one is a sharp blade, and one is a blocky mess.

And I will note that new, based on those renderings at similar angles, blocks no more sunlight into the park as Standard Oil already does. It's better. I think they also managed to give their pool deck a lot more sun.

aaron38 Jan 12, 2021 4:23 AM

It will look great from this angle too, if it's nice and sharp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9141633)

The Pimp Jan 12, 2021 5:20 PM

Filler!

chicubs111 Jan 12, 2021 7:43 PM

^ city defiantly needs more 600 ft plus fillers in lakeshore east and streeteville..enough of this 500 ft stuff

SamInTheLoop Jan 26, 2021 10:37 PM

I certainly didn't dislike the previous version nearly as much as many others here.....in fact I thought it was fine, in spite of the 'frankenbuilding' aspect which often irritates.

What can we say about the new design? Inoffensive? It's kinda......whatever? Not bad? It works. Hope this is the right formula so that this tower can finally get out of the ground this year (or I suppose technically 'out of the ground' sometime early next year. Feels like this one has taken forever.

I do have a feeling they've nailed down the hotel flag/operator, since they are going through the amendment process here. Very curious as to identity. And like to see these developers/hotel cos' that are placing bold bets on the economy (and particularly the travel/tourism/hospitality economy) rebounding from the pandemic with vigor.

BVictor1 Jan 26, 2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 9157482)
^ city defiantly needs more 600 ft plus fillers in lakeshore east and streeteville..enough of this 500 ft stuff

No more filler space available in LSE. You have this and Site I which is currently approved at 950'.

SamInTheLoop Sep 16, 2022 12:00 AM

Spotted:

Some type of equipment on site - only glimpsed top of it passing by on Lower Columbus but seemed consistent with a soil testing rig. Not sure though....if someone's on foot in the area further up, maybe take a look?

We've had soil testing here I believe on multiple occassions over the years, so if that is what's happening, who knows if we're actually getting closer to something.

At least the latest version had far fewer hotel rooms, which is a positive still at the moment for finally getting this one out of the ground - if that version is still current.

mh777 Sep 16, 2022 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 9732440)
Spotted:

Some type of equipment on site - only glimpsed top of it passing by on Lower Columbus but seemed consistent with a soil testing rig. Not sure though....if someone's on foot in the area further up, maybe take a look?

We've had soil testing here I believe on multiple occassions over the years, so if that is what's happening, who knows if we're actually getting closer to something.

At least the latest version had far fewer hotel rooms, which is a positive still at the moment for finally getting this one out of the ground - if that version is still current.

Woah! I'll go check it out today.

Chisouthside Sep 16, 2022 1:55 PM

There a soil sampling/drilling rig on site this morning.
Ive noticed heavy tire tracks on the site here and there over the past few months but today is the first time I've seen some actual equipment.

ardecila Sep 16, 2022 2:16 PM

I wonder why they keep doing soil testing. It's not like the soil has changed? If Magellan still owns the property, they should be able to use test data from 5 or 10 years ago.

Randomguy34 Aug 24, 2023 3:04 AM

So this project seems to be active, just moving very slowly through the permit review process (two years now). They passed their Geotech review in May. The only things they have left to pass through are Planning review and Architectural/Fire Review. Their application is listed under 193 N Columbus Dr

Zapatan Oct 9, 2023 9:07 PM

Quote:

So this project seems to be active, just moving very slowly through the permit review process (two years now). They passed their Geotech review in May. The only things they have left to pass through are Planning review and Architectural/Fire Review. Their application is listed under 193 N Columbus Dr

Sorry for the bump but what's the timeframe on this? Crazy how long these things take.

There was a notion that Parcel I would definitely get built someday but there seems to be a lot less optimism around that project. Hopefully this will kickstart it, it'd be cool if the remaining Magellan towers and 400LSD could all rise together.

Chisouthside Oct 9, 2023 9:20 PM

I work next to this lot. i check for activity every day im in the office :haha::haha::haha::cheers:

Tcmetro Oct 13, 2023 6:04 PM

Came across this news item on the CDOT website. I'm not really sure what it's about but it seems related to this project:
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...otice-of-.html

BVictor1 Dec 28, 2023 3:33 PM

Looks like a caisson permit has been approved for this one.

https://webapps1.chicago.gov/buildin...?apkey=3187823

Quote:

Description: (DIRECT DEVELOPER SERVICES / PRE-2019 CHICAGO BUILDING CODE) CAISSONS ONLY (VERTICAL PENETRATION) FOR A FORTY-SEVEN (45) STORY RESIDENTIAL BUILDING TO INCLUDE PARKING (25 SPACES), RETAIL, HOTEL (239 ROOMS) AND APARTMENTS (607) AND ASSOCIATED SITEWORK AS PER PLANS. (OCCUPANCY TYPE: A2, F, H3 / CONSTRUCTION TYPE: 1A) CONSULTANT REVIEWER: V3 COMPANIES

Final Data Review 12/27/2023 Approved

sentinel Dec 28, 2023 3:52 PM

^^Interesting, thanks, BVic.

Do we know what the final design looks like?

Steely Dan Dec 28, 2023 4:03 PM

I believe these are the most recent publicly available renderings.

But they are from two years ago now, so..........

Quote:

hah you beat me to it. I'll go ahead and post the pics shown in the e-mail:

view from NE:
https://files.constantcontact.com/5a...7b168bb761.png

view from NW:
https://files.constantcontact.com/5a...f1de7c7c05.png

sentinel Dec 28, 2023 4:19 PM

I hope the design has been improved since then :/

Chisouthside Dec 28, 2023 5:17 PM

gonna block my view of the aqua:shrug::D

lakeshoredrive Dec 28, 2023 8:02 PM

Wow, after this, parcel I will be the only one left. LSE is almost complete!

ardecila Dec 28, 2023 8:03 PM

I think this is the first new downtown hotel start we've seen in a minute, no? I think the last new start was RIU?

Zapatan Dec 28, 2023 9:12 PM

Good news, design is kind of meh but hopefully they tweak it, another 500 footer is definitely welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 10110351)
Wow, after this, parcel I will be the only one left. LSE is almost complete!

Rumor had it that building was shortened but I guess that's unknown. I'm sure we'll find out more in the next year or two.

Hopefully our luck balances out and something decently tall goes at the Tribune East site.

left of center Dec 29, 2023 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 10110388)
Good news, design is kind of meh but hopefully they tweak it, another 500 footer is definitely welcome.

At least with a meh design its not in a highly visible spot, as its going to be built in a pretty dense environment. Still, its certainly better than some other turds in the immediate vicinity, like the Fairmont Hotel and the Park Millennium. The addition of more residents and activation of the street front will be a welcome change, as well as the removal of one of the few remaining subterranean pit lots in Illinois Center (I think the only other remaining one is at Lake & Stetson).

Here is to hoping that it's still a 500 footer. That would be a decent win.

sentinel Dec 29, 2023 3:48 PM

ChicagoYimby had a story on the building and they had the same renderings but listed them as being from 2021. I suspect/hope that the building has been redesigned since then, but then again, it is bKL, so not expecting TOO much of a better design :/

ORD2010 Dec 29, 2023 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 10110699)
ChicagoYimby had a story on the building and they had the same renderings but listed them as being from 2021. I suspect/hope that the building has been redesigned since then, but then again, it is bKL, so not expecting TOO much of a better design :/

Would appear the renderings came from the bKL website which also hasn't been updated, not sure if the design will change at all?

Ahoi Dec 29, 2023 7:37 PM

For me, this is very good news about Chicago if this Parcel O and 400 N. Lake Shore Drive (Phase 1) can start drilling next year.

Let's see what the current design looks like.

r18tdi Dec 29, 2023 8:01 PM

Good on them if they were able to score a construction loan. Not the most exciting design, but it's obstructed on all sides and is basically infill given its location. Will look nice from LSE park.

Zapatan Dec 29, 2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahoi (Post 10110831)
For me, this is very good news about Chicago if this Parcel O and 400 N. Lake Shore Drive (Phase 1) can start drilling next year.

Let's see what the current design looks like.

Isn't Onni's Halsted phase I going to start this year as well potentially? I believe that one is around 500 feet.

SolarWind Dec 29, 2023 11:12 PM

December 28, 2023

The Pimp Jan 26, 2024 1:33 PM

Wasn't the executive golf course located on this spot? I remember playing golf and getting wasted after work right around this spot.

r18tdi Jan 26, 2024 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 10129042)
Wasn't the executive golf course located on this spot? I remember playing golf and getting wasted after work right around this spot.

Yes, there was a golf course here a long time ago. They also used to set up temporary exhibitions, before LSE was built out. I seem to remember going to some kind of animatronic dinosaur thing in a big white tent back in 1989.

SolarWind Jan 26, 2024 6:32 PM

Metro Golf at The Illinois Center

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 10129042)

Source: The Postcard Factory Photo: L. Fisher

Metro Golf at The Illinois Center Clubhouse
September 14, 2006

September 19, 2006

Steely Dan Jan 26, 2024 6:34 PM

Man, that old postcard of the golf course now looks like some sort of surreal AI-generated image.

And that reality wasn't even all that long ago in the grand scheme.

Amazing.

Chisouthside Jan 26, 2024 6:40 PM

the lowest level of randolph used to be littered with golf balls from what i remember.

left of center Jan 26, 2024 8:20 PM

LSE was a massive improvement over the gold course, and previous to that the IC railyards.

https://www.site-design.com/assets/p...td-chicago.jpg
Source: site-design.com

Crazy the amount of change that has happened in that spot since WW2. That crazy 90 degree curve on LSE was definitely something as well! :haha:

west-town-brad Jan 28, 2024 3:24 PM

^

gotta love those old 90 degree turns on lakeshore drive